PDA

View Full Version : Maggie Valley???

Firefly
10-04-2018, 06:09 PM
Anyone going to Maggy Valley next week for the event?

I'll be there with Wacky Dan tearing up some twisties….

Maggie Valley was the original event where many of us met for the first time back in 2009 or 2010 along with the BBQ's at Lamont's place. Did that for a few years and then it changed and went downhill. Then SpyderFest was started with just 100 of us the first year. Now that's a huge event.

Been back to Maggy Valley the last few years and the event is pretty decent. Good vendors, etc. to see there and spend $$$ and you can't beat the riding.

So... who's going???

Saluda
10-04-2018, 08:34 PM
Nope.

Poseidon
10-04-2018, 08:49 PM
My wife and I will be there Monday thru Sunday. Here is a thread with others that are going.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?108902-Spyder-Adventures-2018

blacklightning
10-04-2018, 09:34 PM
I will be there Wednesday through Sunday. So looking forward to it. The wife will be with me this year, so I will be keeping the miles down to between 150-200 a day.

Woodaddict
10-04-2018, 09:52 PM
us too for Friday, will be around all day. staying in little switzerland for 2 nights

one2doo
10-05-2018, 06:55 AM
Wife and I will be there.

Bob Denman
10-05-2018, 08:06 AM
Please don't forget to take some pictures for the rest of us... :thumbup:

Have fun, and ryde safe!

Poseidon
10-05-2018, 08:13 AM
Please don't forget to take some pictures for the rest of us... :thumbup:

Have fun, and ryde safe!
I’ll have some to post. I might even do some video.

Trbayth
10-05-2018, 09:34 AM
A bunch of Spyderquest committee members will be there too.

spydernatic
10-05-2018, 04:37 PM
Yes we will be there from Thursday to Sunday with my sister from another mother and my good friend Ken. See y'all there.

rick_w
10-05-2018, 06:00 PM
We will be going down on this Sunday and riding several days before the rally.
Stop in and see us at the Rally, will have the trailer set up in our normal spot just inside the gate.
We will be at the Clarkton Motel east of the festival grounds and opposite side of the road starting Sunday night, stop in and see us. Teresa will be setting up the trailer in the evenings before we pull it down the to the festival grounds on Wednesday morning.
Rick

Charlottes Web
10-05-2018, 07:51 PM
I'll be there Wednesday-Sunday
Chris

JayD
10-05-2018, 08:42 PM
I will come in on Wednesday and leaving Sunday. Going to do a ride on Friday across the Cherohala Hwy and back, if anyone is interested

blacklightning
10-05-2018, 09:09 PM
I will come in on Wednesday and leaving Sunday. Going to do a ride on Friday across the Cherohala Hwy and back, if anyone is interested
I might join you. We will be there Wednesday through Sunday. I hope the weather cooperates.

JayD
10-05-2018, 09:13 PM
I might join you. We will be there Wednesday through Sunday. I hope the weather cooperates.

Will be leaving fairgrounds about 9:00 am. Anyone welcome.

Hecam17
10-06-2018, 05:41 AM
We'll be there, this is a good rally, close to home in the middle of fantastic riding.

rnet
10-06-2018, 07:21 PM
Anyone going to Maggy Valley next week for the event?

I'll be there with Wacky Dan tearing up some twisties….

Maggie Valley was the original event where many of us met for the first time back in 2009 or 2010 along with the BBQ's at Lamont's place. Did that for a few years and then it changed and went downhill. Then SpyderFest was started with just 100 of us the first year. Now that's a huge event.

Been back to Maggy Valley the last few years and the event is pretty decent. Good vendors, etc. to see there and spend $$$ and you can't beat the riding.

So... who's going???Hay Dan, didn't always agree with you back in the early days, but it was always fun and we went through a lot. One other thing, it wasn't Maggie Valley, it was Gatlinburg where it all started and in 2009. Anyway, a couple of close friends told me you were an ok guy, (Lou and Kim) most would not know them, but you will. So stop down there at Netzley Tire, in the vendor section) my son's shop and I will shake your hand.:thumbup: Safe travels.

Woodaddict
10-06-2018, 09:17 PM
Keep watch on the weather, our local weatherman says IF tropical depression DOES form in Gulf of Mexico, its riding right up thru Carolina's around Thursday. So just keep watch on weather, may have to bring plenty of rain gear

FlyboyOBX
10-07-2018, 09:29 AM
Planning to trailer down on Thursday

one2doo
10-07-2018, 09:57 AM
I hope the weather clears out quick.

Firefly
10-07-2018, 10:57 AM
Hay Dan, didn't always agree with you back in the early days, but it was always fun and we went through a lot. One other thing, it wasn't Maggie Valley, it was Gatlinburg where it all started and in 2009. Anyway, a couple of close friends told me you were an ok guy, (Lou and Kim) most would not know them, but you will. So stop down there at Netzley Tire, in the vendor section) my son's shop and I will shake your hand.:thumbup: Safe travels.

You're correct... I guess I kind of generalize the whole 'Smokies' area.. but yes.. those first events were on the Gatlinburg side. I much prefer the Maggie Valley side... less tourist crap..
Besides.. they tore down 'Smokies bar' and made it into a parking lot! :gaah:

I've often wondered how Lou and Kim are doing. We sure had our go-arounds.. the barrier that is the internet often brings out the worst in us. But I knew when there was a time of need for one of my HD buds that they would assist if they were able... and boy did they. We were within 10 miles of where they lived and I put a shout out and they showed up and provided great help. Such a odd thing for Lou and I to end up working on some HD problems together.... lol.

Good memories.

I'll swing by and say hey.....

south GA Farm Boy
10-07-2018, 01:12 PM
My wife and i will be going in on Wednesday and staying until Sunday. Please remember to check with Regina on the help she is requesting to help put the Rally on! Hope to see you all there, and hoping for beautiful weather!

vienna7475
10-08-2018, 01:05 PM
As they say. Lessons learned are always expensive and you need to always read everything. I made the mistake of making room reservations at this hotel for the Maggie Valley event and due to the possible Tropical Storm Michael dropping lots of rain on the event I decided to cancel early. This particular hotel has a policy that once a reservation is made and you cancel anytime before 72 hours out you still have to pay for one days lodging. If you go under the 72 hours you are responsible for paying for ALL DAYS booked. So the lesson learned is to try to book early with the host hotel for the event and stick with major hotel chains who RARELY have this kind of penalty when you are cancelling more than 3 days out. Sure is a bummer about the storm coming. I was looking forward to this event.

Yes I have rain gear but didn't want to be riding into parts of a tropical storm that can possibly spawn tornadoes. I'll just have to plan early for next years event.

Firefly
10-08-2018, 01:46 PM
As they say. Lessons learned are always expensive and you need to always read everything. I made the mistake of making room reservations at this hotel for the Maggie Valley event and due to the possible Tropical Storm Michael dropping lots of rain on the event I decided to cancel early. This particular hotel has a policy that once a reservation is made and you cancel anytime before 72 hours out you still have to pay for one days lodging. If you go under the 72 hours you are responsible for paying for ALL DAYS booked. So the lesson learned is to try to book early with the host hotel for the event and stick with major hotel chains who RARELY have this kind of penalty when you are cancelling more than 3 days out. Sure is a bummer about the storm coming. I was looking forward to this event.

Yes I have rain gear but didn't want to be riding into parts of a tropical storm that can possibly spawn tornadoes. I'll just have to plan early for next years event.

Sorry about your room troubles.

Maggie Valley is very far from the coast...sure, the storm can bring some rain that way... but tornados in the mountains? Not likely...

Most rain I've seen up there doesn't last the whole day, nor does it cover the whole mountain.. it gets broken up and changes.

One year we really did get hammered though... I think it was 2010.

Right now it looks like Wed-Thurs are the rainy days.

Friday, Sat, Sun look good ! :thumbup:

Rain days can be great days to ride the dragon.... Spyder's will be the fastest bikes riding that day.....:thumbup:

blacklightning
10-08-2018, 06:10 PM
Sorry about your room troubles.

Maggie Valley is very far from the coast...sure, the storm can bring some rain that way... but tornados in the mountains? Not likely...

Most rain I've seen up there doesn't last the whole day, nor does it cover the whole mountain.. it gets broken up and changes.

One year we really did get hammered though... I think it was 2010.

Right now it looks like Wed-Thurs are the rainy days.

Friday, Sat, Sun look good ! :thumbup:

Rain days can be great days to ride the dragon.... Spyder's will be the fastest bikes riding that day.....
:thumbup:
:agree:We are heading out on Wednesday morning and hoping to outrun the rain getting there. If the storm travels further east (as I hope it does), I will travel west on my riding Thursday. After that, things should be good.

rmag
10-08-2018, 07:51 PM
Got in about 7 this evening. Plan on riding all day tomorrow and a partial day Wednesday before the rain gets heavy. I'll loose the missus if it gets too bad. Either way it's better than needing at work. The weekend is still looking good.

We love the mountains!!!!

Rich and Rhonda

JayD
10-08-2018, 08:51 PM
Got in about 7 this evening. Plan on riding all day tomorrow and a partial day Wednesday before the rain gets heavy. I'll loose the missus if it gets too bad. Either way it's better than needing at work. The weekend is still looking good.

We love the mountains!!!!

Rich and Rhonda

Getting pumped for some good riding. I'm used to the rain in Smokys. Leaving home in Georgia Wednesday morning.

rmag
10-08-2018, 09:09 PM
Getting pumped for some good riding. I'm used to the rain in Smokys. Leaving home in Georgia Wednesday morning.

Yeah, we were here for the rally two years ago when another hurricane was coming through. Been wet before, I'm sure I'll be wet again. Still the best people and the best place to ride.

Woodaddict
10-08-2018, 10:22 PM
I posted an update on other Maggie Valley post. yes its hurricane now. looks like a slight easterly track, but rain about Tuesday night till Thursday night, light winds, then clearing Friday. temps Friday - Sunday normal. Weather has been above average, not much cooler temps to start leaf turning , they about 2 or 3 weeks behind.

Deanna777
10-09-2018, 07:11 PM
No, I am not able to go, because of that four letter word..............Work.

Also, Adrien is still recovering from his sciatica surgery.

Deanna

Firefly
10-10-2018, 03:49 PM
Got in around 330 today. So far it’s dry!:thumbup:

one2doo
10-10-2018, 07:59 PM
Becky and I will be there tomorrow evening. Hope rain goes through quickly.

blacklightning
10-10-2018, 09:20 PM
We arrived around 4:30 today. Everything was good except for being caught in a wreck and some rain on 85. We will probably check out Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge tomorrow since the rain will be here until tomorrow afternoon. Planning on doing the Cherohala and Dragon either Friday or Saturday.

Woodaddict
10-10-2018, 10:51 PM
We arrived around 4:30 today. Everything was good except for being caught in a wreck and some rain on 85. We will probably check out Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge tomorrow since the rain will be here until tomorrow afternoon. Planning on doing the Cherohala and Dragon either Friday or Saturday.

good you had a safe arrival. we will be there Friday around noon. weather is clearing Friday morning. did Randy & Lisa H go with group?

Poseidon
10-10-2018, 11:21 PM
We got here on Monday afternoon. Got some riding in. We did 391 miles yesterday. Did the tail of the dragon, Cherihola, and Moonshinner 28. The weather cleared up this afternoon. We went down to the fairgrounds this afternoon, then rode the Rattler. Short ride, but at least we got a ride in and stayed dry doing it.

Tomorrow looks like it is going to clear up in the afternoon. Should still be able to get a short ride in tomorrow. :thumbup:

I have been shooting video on our rides and taking lots of pictures. I’ll post the videos and pictures later. Still need to edit the video.

kep-up
10-11-2018, 08:03 AM
Y'all be careful in the wet. That wide rear tire can float in a water puddle. How do I know? Been there, done that on 221 north of Boone yesterday. Got a bit squirrely goin uphill under power and the nanny did absolutely nothing. 'Course I think she was fooled since I got out of the power immediately. A couple of wiggledey squiggledys, out of the crosswash and back on the power. 500 miles later, home having an adult beverage.

NaDSoB
10-11-2018, 02:05 PM
Just checked in to our hotel. Looking forward to the weekend!

BajaRon
10-11-2018, 08:41 PM
Looks like a Bright Sunny Day tomorrow.

I'll be there on Friday!

GeorgiaMary
10-12-2018, 04:40 PM
I can't find any information about the cost of registration. Can someone tell me the cost and what I get for it?

Thanks,

Mary

JayD
10-12-2018, 04:47 PM
Great Friday at Maggie Valley. Weather was perfect. Great ride through the mountains. What more can you ask for. Tomorrow is supposed to be another great day.

Firefly
10-12-2018, 08:57 PM
I can't find any information about the cost of registration. Can someone tell me the cost and what I get for it?

Thanks,

Mary

if you’re just showing up to the fairgrounds to see the vendors, etc... the. It’s $5.00.

Not sure about the rest.. didn’t sign up for anything else.