PDA

View Full Version : Just Pre-Ordered My Ryker!

BajaRon
10-03-2018, 05:38 PM
I will be getting a Ryker as soon as they are available. Should be very interesting. Never seen one in person. And, of course, never ridden one. So I will be hanging on every word posted by those who are fortunate enough to do so... UNTIL, I get mine to ride!

I have to say, if nothing else. The price is certainly right. I've got a feeling I'm going to enjoy this one! :ohyea:

Bob Denman
10-03-2018, 05:40 PM
:Twin; or the triple?congrats: :clap: :bowdown: :firstplace:

IdahoMtnSpyder
10-03-2018, 05:42 PM
There is no 'Ryker' forum yet.
Down near the bottom, just above Testing and Forum Support.

IdahoMtnSpyder
10-03-2018, 05:44 PM
I will be getting a Ryker as soon as they are available. Should be very interesting.

I'm sorely tempted to see how I can financially manage to get one. I want to ride Idaho mountain gravel roads!

samewok
10-03-2018, 05:58 PM
Spyderpops has taken one for a ride.
He like it and order one.

ARtraveler
10-03-2018, 06:19 PM
:congrats: We will be waiting to here what you think.

There is a Ryker forum: See below:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?168-Can-Am-Ryker

Saluda
10-03-2018, 07:56 PM
Interested to hear what you think after a while.

BajaRon
10-03-2018, 08:07 PM
:congrats: We will be waiting to here what you think.

There is a Ryker forum: See below:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?168-Can-Am-Ryker

OK, there IS! a 'Ryker' forum. That's what I get for being in a hurry. I didn't scroll down far enough. My bad!

Guess just too anxious to post after putting my money down at the dealership. Please forgive me!

Sarge707
10-03-2018, 08:13 PM
OK, there IS! a 'Ryker' forum. That's what I get for being in a hurry. I didn't scroll down far enough. Figured once I got to the 'Off Topic' listing it wasn't there. My bad!

Guess just too anxious to post after putting my money down at the dealership. Please forgive me!

If anyone would know if the Sway Bar is an easy install on it you will- I bet they made it easy to install like the rest of the machine???

Firefly
10-03-2018, 08:33 PM
If anyone would know if the Sway Bar is an easy install on it you will- I bet they made it easy to install like the rest of the machine???

Knowing BRP.... probably a different swaybar size... so Ron will have to come up with yet another version......

Chupaca
10-03-2018, 11:32 PM
Lucky you...:thumbup: I'm sure your gonna have with it...:ohyea:It's just the waiting you have to endure...:gaah:

Peter Aawen
10-04-2018, 01:39 AM
So Ron, did you order the Rally version?? Or a 600 Twin? :dontknow:

BajaRon
10-04-2018, 07:29 AM

And there-in lies the ulterior motive! Not that I didn't want one anyway. $12k is a lot of money just to access a sway bar. It was much easier when Lamont lived just down the road and I had access to everything BRP.

I did order the upgrade swaybar $149.00. The dealer was working up a labor cost for the install. The Ryker comes with no upgrades from the factory. Any upgrade, (grips, sway bar, lighting, accent panels, etc.,) are installed at the dealership and it looks like there is a labor charge for all of it. I told them, 'Don't worry about it. I think I can install the swaybar myself'.

I will be testing an upgrade swaybar for the Ryker. I will not produce one unless it affords a good deal of benefit. I know when the F3 came out, everyone was saying it didn't need a sway bar. But as people got comfortable on the F3 and started pushing the limits, things changed. We'll see if it is the same with the Ryker.

But honestly. I'd trade it all in for a healthy Lamont.

Sarge707
10-04-2018, 07:37 AM
The picture he posted was of a Rally Edition- If you watch the Latest Snowcat video you can see why I told my dealer to save one for my- Deposit as soon as I sit on it!!! From One review I read the Rally tires are NOT as good on Backroad twisties as the Normal 900 tires- Since I have NO off road places available I am getting the Normal 900. The BRP swaybar is $149 and said to be 33% stiffer IF you need it.

BajaRon
10-04-2018, 07:56 AM
So Ron, did you order the Rally version?? Or a 600 Twin? :dontknow:

It will be the Rally, 900cc Triple version. As mentioned, the wheels are an easy give-away as to which version it is. I don't plan to be going off road with this. And frankly, I don't think, in any configuration, that you're going to be able to do any real off roading with the Ryker anyway. You're going to get stuck if you try.

Basically, with the driveshaft, you will simply be avoiding any drive belt damage running down a gravel road. I suppose it depends on your definition of 'Off-Roading'. But there really isn't any way to get enough traction out of a single drive wheel to do (what I would consider) even mild off-roading. Not to mention ground clearance to a rather fragile muffler. The Ryker is simply not an off-road vehicle.

But I am, in no way, complaining about this. Just a curious way to market the vehicle. I think it will definitely disappoint anyone who thinks otherwise. I am pretty sure the
Ryker will do everything I want it to.

oldgoat
10-04-2018, 08:19 AM
I went to my dealer yesterday to look at a Ryker. Silly me, I didn't phone ahead. They won't have one for customers to look at until end of Nov & this is in the province in which they are made.
Wanted to look at an absolutely bare bones 600 twin. This model is $11,300CAD here + 15% tax.
The bare bones 900 triple is $13,300CAD + taxes
Am waiting for a trade in price for my 2008 GS.

Sarge707
10-04-2018, 10:00 AM
https://www.youtube.com/user/BRPServiceVideo/videos

All the add ons are very easy to install per these BRP videos . Sway bar I will wait and see after driving a few months.

Triple B
10-04-2018, 10:08 AM
I went to my dealer yesterday to look at a Ryker. Silly me, I didn't phone ahead. They won't have one for customers to look at until end of Nov & this is in the province in which they are made.
Wanted to look at an absolutely bare bones 600 twin. This model is $11,300CAD here + 15% tax.
The bare bones 900 triple is $13,300CAD + taxes
Am waiting for a trade in price for my 2008 GS.
Yeah, same here on the westcoast. I was at my dealers yesterday, and they are supposed to have one, the Rally 1300, in November, and ready for test drives....weather permitting of course. Same pricing.

Michaelscs
10-04-2018, 10:14 AM
It will be the Rally, 900cc Triple version. As mentioned, the wheels are an easy give-away as to which version it is. I don't plan to be going off road with this. And frankly, I don't think, in any configuration, that you're going to be able to do any real off roading with the Ryker anyway. You're going to get stuck if you try.

Basically, with the driveshaft, you will simply be avoiding any drive belt damage running down a gravel road. I suppose it depends on your definition of 'Off-Roading'. But there really isn't any way to get enough traction out of a single drive wheel to do (what I would consider) even mild off-roading. Not to mention ground clearance to a rather fragile muffler. The Ryker is simply not an off-road vehicle.

But I am, in no way, complaining about this. Just a curious way to market the vehicle. I think it will definitely disappoint anyone who thinks otherwise. I am pretty sure the
Ryker will do everything I want it to.

I don't think BRP has ever really marketed it as an "off road vehicle" (as in trails). I think we (the general public) have done that.
This is the marketing I've read on their site: Not all roads are created equal, so from paved to unpaved and everywhere in between, feel comfortable taking your ride out for a rip wherever you want. Reinforced rims, front grill protection, skid plate, and integrated handguards help it stand out in a crowd, and make it a true contender for the path less taken.

BajaRon
10-04-2018, 11:25 AM
https://www.youtube.com/user/BRPServiceVideo/videos

All the add ons are very easy to install per these BRP videos . Sway bar I will wait and see after driving a few months.

Interesting that they do not mention the sway bar upgrade install.... :shocked:

I don't think BRP has ever really marketed it as an "off road vehicle" (as in trails). I think we (the general public) have done that.
This is the marketing I've read on their site: Not all roads are created equal, so from paved to unpaved and everywhere in between, feel comfortable taking your ride out for a rip wherever you want. Reinforced rims, front grill protection, skid plate, and integrated handguards help it stand out in a crowd, and make it a true contender for the path less taken.ken.

Definitely depends on your definition of 'Off-Road'. And I agree that rumor has tended to exaggerate BRP's intended message. Though they do not go to any extra effort to define what can be expected.

By the way. Love the invisible text in your post. Is that subliminal? :roflblack:

IdahoMtnSpyder
10-04-2018, 12:06 PM
This is the marketing I've read on their site: Not all roads are created equal, so from paved to unpaved and everywhere in between, feel comfortable taking your ride out for a rip wherever you want. Reinforced rims, front grill protection, skid plate, and integrated handguards help it stand out in a crowd, and make it a true contender for the path less taken.
Dual sport bikes, which is what I think the Ryker is partially aimed at competing with, are not trail bikes either, in the usual since of the meaning. Dual sport bikes aren't "off road" bikes per se.

ARtraveler
10-04-2018, 01:58 PM
RE: Factory Accessories

Much the same seems to be happening with BRP products over the years. When first introduced--bare bones and very few or very expensive add ons from the factory.

I have purchased aftermarket floorboards, trunk lights, hard bags, trunk etc. As the company sees most people adding these items, the company starts supplying them at extra cost to the basic units.

Unfortunately, it puts some of the aftermarket manufacturers in a bad place with their sales.

Remember when we used to buy a basic bike from the dealer and then "Vetterize" it with fairings, bags, trunk, lights, etc?
Most accessories for the new Ryker can now be ordered as factory add ons.

old Timer
10-04-2018, 02:30 PM
[QUOTE]=Michaelscs;1395881]I don't think BRP has ever really marketed it as an "off road vehicle" (as in trails). I think we (the general public) have done that.

What they are really saying is that you no longer have to worry about whether you want to go down this or that Gravel Driveway or Road or anything like that. The road to my house where we used to live was a 3 mile, unmaintained dirt/gravel/rock road. With the new Ryker, going down it would be no more of a worry than when riding it on my BMW's. Lots of friends with HD's would visit and they were super careful with their belt drive. The Ryker will be just as easy and worry free as my Beemers.

Sarge707
10-04-2018, 04:58 PM
Interesting that they do not mention the sway bar upgrade install.... :shocked:

Definitely depends on your definition of 'Off-Road'. And I agree that rumor has tended to exaggerate BRP's intended message. Though they do not go to any extra effort to define what can be expected.

By the way. Love the invisible text in your post. Is that subliminal? :roflblack:

Ron- The fiche is up for Ryker in BRP Parts BUT no nomenclature or Cost. I think the sway bar may attach like the old GS/RT. Hard to tell from Fiche but it doesn't look boxed in like the F3?

SpyderAnn01
10-04-2018, 10:12 PM
I got to sit on one today, may be able to test ride it tomorrow.

BajaRon
10-05-2018, 09:18 AM
Ron- The fiche is up for Ryker in BRP Parts BUT no nomenclature or Cost. I think the sway bar may attach like the old GS/RT. Hard to tell from Fiche but it doesn't look boxed in like the F3?

I think your assessment may be correct. Though it is hard to tell exactly how the bushings will attach to the frame. There does not appear to be any enclosure as is the case with the 2013+ Spyder models. This enclosed channel is really what makes the bar swap more difficult than it was with the open mounting system on the 2008-2012 models.

We shall know soon enough! :thumbup:

Dustoff
10-05-2018, 10:05 AM
I wonder if we will see a Shaft drive in the future for the RT/F3, Now that I would be interested In !!!!!!!

BajaRon
10-05-2018, 10:24 AM
I wonder if we will see a Shaft drive in the future for the RT/F3, Now that I would be interested In !!!!!!!

Shaft drive has its advantages and its disadvantages. Most today feel the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

Shaft Drive Advantages
Quiet
Very Smooth (No Vibration)
Little to no maintenance
Lasts a Long Time
Easier to do rear wheel work (Tire Changes)

Disadvantages
Not as efficient as belt drive for power transfer
Much heavier
More Un-Sprung Weight
More expensive to produce

BajaRon
10-13-2018, 09:00 PM
Saw the Ryker at the Maggie Valley event yesterday. I must say it looks better in person than it does in the pictures. I didn't ride it. Not sure it was being offered to ride. But I didn't even ask the BRP rep since I wouldn't feel comfortable riding it like I want to, not being mine.

Some very interesting features and innovations. It has an air cleaner for the CVT intake. The CVT has a blower to cool it, he said. And hence, the air cleaner.

Really looking forward to getting mine in. There are a ton of aftermarket items that are just screaming to be created for the Ryker.

LeftCoast
10-13-2018, 10:29 PM
Very excited to see what ingenious folks like yourself start to come up with!

rogerb
10-14-2018, 06:56 AM
Just looking at it makes you start thinking of aftermarket. You can work on it without spending an hour just taking plastic off and still not reached the engine and internals.

gnorthern
10-16-2018, 11:46 PM
I have not seen the term adventure bike appear. I would never take my old V-Strom or Triumph Tiger 800 "dirt biking." I just wanted to be able to ride on any road. I see the Ryker with the drive shaft doing the same thing.

BajaRon
10-17-2018, 10:43 AM
Maybe an 'All Road' machine. But definitely not an 'All Terrain' ride.