PDA

View Full Version : Hopefully a different sway bar question

vindex1963
09-28-2018, 10:56 PM
I had adjusted the front shock preload all the way up to help with cornering, tonight I installed a BajaRon sway bar and was wondering if I should back the preload down or leave it the same. I rode around some tonight and it felt more stable but tomorrow my wife and I are going on an all day ride, her on the Spyder and me on my Strom, she knows the Spyder way better than I do (it's hers after all).

So max preload or put it back to factory?

BajaRon
09-28-2018, 11:36 PM
I had adjusted the front shock preload all the way up to help with cornering, tonight I installed a BajaRon sway bar and was wondering if I should back the preload down or leave it the same. I rode around some tonight and it felt more stable but tomorrow my wife and I are going on an all day ride, her on the Spyder and me on my Strom, she knows the Spyder way better than I do (it's hers after all).

So max preload or put it back to factory?

I suggest in my instructions (at the very end) it is a good idea to back off the shock spring pre-load adjustment after installing the sway bar upgrade. Especially if you have set the pre-load up to reduce lean in turns.

Though you may want to keep the pre-load above the factory setting (which is very low). You will probably be much happier with an initial setting of something just above the factory setting. Experimenting from there is a good idea as well. But it is a good place to start. It is unlikely that you will ever want to return to the max pre-load setting with the BajaRon sway bar installed.

Hope you love the bar! :thumbup:

vindex1963
09-28-2018, 11:59 PM
If I remember right the factory preload was notch 3 I have it at 5 so I'll back it off to 4.

Thanks for the response.

vindex1963
09-29-2018, 08:28 PM
My wife says the bike sticks to the ground better, corrects itself and isn't as wobbly.

Gotta love honesty :D

SpdrDvr
09-29-2018, 09:29 PM
I suggest in my instructions (at the very end) it is a good idea to back off the shock spring pre-load adjustment after installing the sway bar upgrade. Especially if you have set the pre-load up to reduce lean in turns.

Though you may want to keep the pre-load above the factory setting (which is very low). You will probably be much happier with an initial setting of something just above the factory setting. Experimenting from there is a good idea as well. But it is a good place to start. It is unlikely that you will ever want to return to the max pre-load setting with the BajaRon sway bar installed.

Is there a "how to" video on adjusting the preload? :helpsmilie:

vindex1963
09-29-2018, 09:35 PM

Went through the instructions and can't find that, doesn't matter really I backed them off one notch.

She LOVES the bar!!! See the above assessment.

vindex1963
09-29-2018, 09:36 PM

Owners manual shows weight of rider and suggested preload.

IdahoMtnSpyder
09-30-2018, 06:12 PM
Preload adjustment from the factory is available only on 2012 & earlier. No adjustment on front shocks beginning in 2013.