PDA

View Full Version : Ryker No netural selection ?

eddieshep999
09-28-2018, 04:39 AM
I have just seen this video

https://youtu.be/EDgrC3D2niU

There does not seem to be a neutral selection with the CVT system
Looking at the video once you start the Ryker by twisting the throttle it appears to be in gear ready to go
If you rev the throttle the Ryker will move forward the only way to avoid this is with the parking brake selected or by keeping your foot on the Brake
(See the video where even with the brakes on the rider was able to spin the rear wheel after revving the Ryker)
I would be concerned if I was stuck in traffic that I could accidentally Rev the throttle and move the Ryker forward into another vehicle
Possible safety issue?
Maybe someone who has ridden the Ryker will know if netural can be selected like cars with automatic gearboxes can

Poseidon
09-28-2018, 05:30 AM

Looking at the video once you start the Ryker by twisting the throttle it appears to be in gear ready to go
If you rev the throttle the Ryker will move forward the only way to avoid this is with the parking brake selected or by keeping your foot on the Brake
(See the video where even with the brakes on the rider was able to spin the rear wheel after revving the Ryker)
I would be concerned if I was stuck in traffic that I could accidentally Rev the throttle and move the Ryker forward into another vehicle
Possible safety issue?
Maybe someone who has ridden the Ryker will know if netural can be selected like cars with automatic gearboxes can
Do you have the same safety concerns about leaving your car in gear at a stoplight? :dontknow:

eddieshep999
09-28-2018, 05:40 AM
Do you have the same safety concerns about leaving your car in gear at a stoplight? :dontknow:

If im going to be there any length of tme eg at at Railway level crossing with my Automatic Freelander (Land Rover) I put it into neutral and apply the handbrake, on my RT I do sometimes put it into netural but also keep my foot on thre brake pedal
I have accidently Revved my Spyder and moved forward whilst in 1st gear
At least on my Spyder RT I have the option of selecting netural and just wondered if this is available on the Ryker

old Timer
09-28-2018, 05:54 AM
With all due respect, you are well over one in a million when driving an auto transmission vehicle.

Grandpot
09-28-2018, 06:04 AM
That's really nitpicking. Would you be afraid of rolling backward on a hill if you were stopped at a light with a standard transmission?

Boilermaker
09-28-2018, 06:29 AM
This is actually an interesting question. Surely there is a neutral setting so you can push it around in your garage when doing maintenance, etc. I think too many of you are rushing to quick judgment because of the way he stated the question. And besides, he can ride his bike any way he wants as long as it doesn't endanger anyone else. I know cars with CVT's definitely have neutral. I would hope the Ryker has this too. Hopefully someone who knows will chime in as opposed to those who just want to criticize someone's legitimate concerns.

Cobwebs
09-28-2018, 06:32 AM
Just wondering why you would want to rev it whilst sitting in traffic ???

Eviltwin
09-28-2018, 07:11 AM

Possible safety issue?

CVT's are used on scoots all the time. On my Silverwing, there is no shifting or manual clutch. All you do is hold the brake to start and then roll on when you want to move. As long as the revs arent above about 2000 IIRC, there is no clutch engagement. A centrifugal clutch has to be spinning over a certain RPM before it grabs, below that, it freewheels.

It's actually a much more smooth feeling transmission and more relaxing to drive that what is on the Spyder. And much less to go wrong as well. Belts last probably 16K miles and are easy enough to change out. Handles the power just fine, and you are always in the right gear.

I would also think that the reason they decided to put a shaft drive in with the CVT was to engineer a way to do reverse. All the CVTs that I have seen have the belt run straight off the crankshaft and parallel to the swing arm to the rear wheel which is a spline mount. That would be difficult to have run backwards. With the shaft, all they would have to do is engineer some way of changing direction by perhaps shifting the side of engagement of a driven face or gear with a foot pedal, and as long as the engine isn't turning fast enough, the clutch wouldn't be engaged and it would operate smoothly.

Poseidon
09-28-2018, 07:26 AM
The CVT disengages the driveline when the RPMs drop. The bike is essentially in neutralat that point. It only engages the belt if the RPMs increase above a certain point. The bike can roll forward or back anytime the driveline is disengaged. ATVs, SxSs and Snowmobiles all have the exact same type of CVT. This is nothing new in the Motorsports industry. It is really a rather simple concept. If you don’t want the bike to move, don’t twist the throttle.

Bob Denman
09-28-2018, 07:34 AM
This is absolutely a non-issue. If you want to rev it at stoplights: just change to a stiffer primary engagement spring, and you can sound just like a Squid again! :thumbup:
It doesn't need neutral... The clutches are disengaged when the rpm levels drop too low to overcome the aforementioned spring.

Culpjp
09-28-2018, 07:59 AM
I have a feeling yes you will be able to roll it around with the engine off, this is why it has the parking brake, to keep it from rolling with the engine off.

Bob Denman
09-28-2018, 08:24 AM
More than a feeling: it's a full-blown fact! :thumbup:

wilpir
09-28-2018, 09:17 AM
CVT's are used on scoots all the time. On my Silverwing, there is no shifting or manual clutch. All you do is hold the brake to start and then roll on when you want to move. As long as the revs arent above about 2000 IIRC, there is no clutch engagement. A centrifugal clutch has to be spinning over a certain RPM before it grabs, below that, it freewheels.

It's actually a much more smooth feeling transmission and more relaxing to drive that what is on the Spyder. And much less to go wrong as well. Belts last probably 16K miles and are easy enough to change out. Handles the power just fine, and you are always in the right gear.

I would also think that the reason they decided to put a shaft drive in with the CVT was to engineer a way to do reverse. All the CVTs that I have seen have the belt run straight off the crankshaft and parallel to the swing arm to the rear wheel which is a spline mount. That would be difficult to have run backwards. With the shaft, all they would have to do is engineer some way of changing direction by perhaps shifting the side of engagement of a driven face or gear with a foot pedal, and as long as the engine isn't turning fast enough, the clutch wouldn't be engaged and it would operate smoothly.Exactly right both my scooters Yamaha Vino and Yamaha Majesty have cvt transmissions never had a problem! :thumbup:

Geep
09-28-2018, 10:31 AM
A little thread drift, but I am surprised the Ryker CVT (other than cost) doesn’t offer the options like Suzuki Burgmann 650 does....5 speed manual, eco, power, and normal CVT operation. All this is accomplished using a servo motor to control the motor clutch operation vs a centrifugal clutch. Just thinking out loud

Chupaca
09-28-2018, 10:56 AM
So if you stop on a hill with the Ryker at idle and you release the brake.... will it roll backwards down the hill...?? imagine it will demonstrating that it is in a neutral position. You will get used to it and if it were a safety issue I am sure it was considered when the byke was put into production...:dontknow:

Rob Rodriguez
09-28-2018, 11:11 AM
So if you stop on a hill with the Ryker at idle and you release the brake.... will it roll backwards down the hill...?? imagine it will demonstrating that it is in a neutral position. You will get used to it and if it were a safety issue I am sure it was considered when the byke was put into production...:dontknow:

Yes, it will roll down a hill without the break applied. Yes it will move if you twist the throttle far enough. There is no specific neutral gear that allows you to rev the engine above engagement and the bike doesn't move.

Really not that much different than the SE tranny. If it's in gear it will also roll on a hill without throttle applied. If its in gear the bike moves if throttle is applied. The only real difference is a neutral gear that allows you to rev the bike and not move.

Not a big deal.

Freezefm
09-28-2018, 02:03 PM
It has a hill hold feature. See the Specs section under Safety and Security.

Rob Rodriguez
09-28-2018, 02:16 PM
It has a hill hold feature. See the Specs section under Safety and Security.

HA, so there is. Even better. So the only difference is you can't shift into neutral and rev the throttle. If you rev the throttle past engagement RPM then the bike will move.

Big F
09-28-2018, 03:36 PM

probably has some Harley blood in him??????? those Harley guys love to rev their engines and listen to their pipes!!!!!!!
BIG F

gkamer
09-28-2018, 03:46 PM

That's exactly the same thing I was thinking. What useful purpose does reving an engine serve. I know it sounds cool, Harley guys do that all the time. But other than showing off I can't see the sense in it. At a railroad crossing, I shift my truck into Park and then time how long the train takes to pass through.

Sarge707
09-28-2018, 04:45 PM
If your at a light with a Harley guy now you can rev the engine-with the brake on-burning rubber - like the video and release the brake when the light turns and Maybe blow him off the line?:yikes:

Bob Denman
09-28-2018, 05:11 PM
If you bought the bike while dreaming about doing something like that: you chose poorly... nojoke

ARtraveler
09-28-2018, 06:58 PM
Nothing different from driving a car with an auto tranny. Just leave the foot on the brake until its time to move forward. Revving at a stoplight just makes people mad. Just not as mad as people get at HD showoffs. :roflblack::roflblack:

Cobwebs
09-29-2018, 05:57 AM
Old habits die hard I guess, times were that without constant encouragement the old Harleys wouldn't idle at the lights because the owner had tweaked every adjustment to his seat o' pants and wax filled ear perfection.:D
Fast forward and they figure their audience feel comforted by the fact a rocket scientist is in their lane.:banghead: ABS rules!!!!

Nico75
03-17-2019, 09:51 AM
Hi all yes there is a N setting , pull the lever 1/2 way between F R then you can push it easy

poli
03-17-2019, 03:08 PM
Nico 75 said it. You just need it to roll it around easily when it isn't running.

mikeyuberalles
03-17-2019, 03:10 PM
Hi all yes there is a N setting , pull the lever 1/2 way between F R then you can push it easy

I would recommend against this at a traffic light just to rev the engine as the original poster mentioned. heh-heh.

monkeyboymorton
03-18-2019, 04:07 PM
The OP didn't say he wanted to rev it while in stationary traffic, he was raising the possibility of accidentally revving the bike while at a stop and moving forward unintentionally. Hence the query about whether there was a neutral gear selection for use during longer stops in traffic etc.

I have done this on the Spyder once, but it only moved a few inches against the foot brake. Was a bit alarming and I've been more careful of the throttle since :yikes:

Smokey618
03-18-2019, 09:18 PM
Hasn't it already been posted that the ECU will no let the engine rev while in this false neutral.

srx660
03-30-2019, 08:57 AM
Funny thing is i tried doing the shift between forward and neutral and it doesn't work for me. One of 2 things has happened to me. The first was that the motor does a on/off short rev thing but doesn't move. this does not last for more than a few seconds. The second thing that happens is the trans shift's itself into gear and starts to move, while making a racket doing it. If you want a neutral at home just jack the rear tire off the ground. Please use a padded jackstand if you like getting rev happy. Great way for you to hear the CVT thumping and clunking up close.

Zoot
03-31-2019, 12:07 PM
It was actually a surprise to me how much throttle it takes to get the Ryker moving from a dead stop. Light turns green, crack the throttle, open it more, eventually the CVT decides it's time to take hold. I can't see a little unintended rev causing much problem. I actually wish it was a little more responsive.

old Timer
04-02-2019, 05:55 AM
I find that it is unbelievable that this is even a subject of discussion. If you are concerned about accidentally taking off when stopped.......then you might need some driving lessons or at worst you have no business driving anything with an auto tranny, car or whatever.

Triumphcycleman
04-02-2019, 09:20 AM
There is no "neutral" when running, however, if you move the shift lever slightly back toward reverse when not running you can move it around more easily in your garage as it has a "false" neutral there