PDA

View Full Version : Parking Brake

Star Cruiser
06-07-2009, 04:38 PM
I have a AKA on my left leg. The only modification I have made is a short extension (about 2") on the parking brake. I am thinking I'll add about another inch to it. The problem is getting my heel, or toe, on the brake rubber without having the foot peg getting in the way. I can't really "feel" the click when I press it down, so it does not always lock. I am hesitant to press too hard and stretch the cable.

Any ideas out there? The extension makes it much easier, but I am always looking to improve the functionality.

SethO
06-07-2009, 11:07 PM
i reach down with my left hand and push it down like that while I am sitting out it. I hold onto the left handle bar with my right hand

mickc
06-08-2009, 11:44 PM
Because I am AK left leg I had the parking brake problem also. I removed the left side foot peg and mounted it in the parking brake acuater arm. It now sticks out far enough to get my prostectic leg to set the brake. In place of the riders foot peg I added a footboard to hold my shoe while riding my Auto/Spyder. A very easy mod. Mickc

ISCI Billy
06-11-2009, 03:48 PM
I have a AKA on my left leg. The only modification I have made is a short extension (about 2") on the parking brake. I am thinking I'll add about another inch to it. The problem is getting my heel, or toe, on the brake rubber without having the foot peg getting in the way. I can't really "feel" the click when I press it down, so it does not always lock. I am hesitant to press too hard and stretch the cable.

Any ideas out there? The extension makes it much easier, but I am always looking to improve the functionality.

My company offers a parking brake extension. Check out my web page at www.industrialspecialty.com (http://www.industrialspecialty.com) and take a look.
BJ

Pogo
06-16-2009, 01:08 AM

I'm A/K right. On my solo bike, I had a hassle getting the sidestand up and down. I welded a rod to the stand so that it lies beside the gearbox when the stand is up. I can reach the rod with my left hand and push the stand up or down. You might be able to make a similar lever for the park brake.

Cheers;

Pogo.

Pilo
06-28-2009, 07:44 AM
I am a left AKA and have just bought an SE5.

For the parking brake I sometimes use my left hand (holding the left handlebar with the right hand), and some other times push the parking brake pedal down with the tip of my elbow-wrist crutch.

By the way..., anybody out there has ever come up with a solution to carry them crutches alongside the Spyder? :chat:

Cheers...

(Limitations just exist on your mind)

RoHo
07-02-2009, 09:28 PM
This was my solution for the parking brake.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=362

Roho

Star Cruiser
07-05-2009, 11:39 PM
I am a left AKA and have just bought an SE5.

For the parking brake I sometimes use my left hand (holding the left handlebar with the right hand), and some other times push the parking brake pedal down with the tip of my elbow-wrist crutch.

By the way..., anybody out there has ever come up with a solution to carry them crutches alongside the Spyder? :chat:

Cheers...

(Limitations just exist on your mind)

I have collabsible crutches and they fit perfectly on the passenger handles. I will include a picture once I learn how to attach one here. The crutches didn't interfere with my passenger during a ride from Toronto to Lake George.

NancysToy
07-06-2009, 06:37 AM
I have collabsible crutches and they fit perfectly on the passenger handles. I will include a picture once I learn how to attach one here. The crutches didn't interfere with my passenger during a ride from Toronto to Lake George.
Not surprised at this. We have hauled chairs, tents, and even a piece of pipe this way. Biggest issue is that bungees and the like won't attach to the grab rails. I recommend classic RokStraps. They make both large and small ones, and they are splendid for attaching things to the rails. Good source is Aerostitch (http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Straps-Bungees-and-Accessories-p-1-c-283.html).
-Scotty http://www.pmdawnonline.com/forum/images/smilies/velo.gif