PDA

View Full Version : saddlebag hinge replacement

jojo5249
09-23-2018, 01:36 PM
I have a 2016 Can Am Spyder F3T and the hinge on my right saddle bag recently broke. Can someone direct me where I can get a replacement? THANK YOU

trikermutha
09-23-2018, 01:50 PM
Check with Doc Humphreys he may have a kit to repair?

Roadster renovations

Bfromla
09-23-2018, 03:32 PM
Check with Doc Humphreys he may have a kit to repair?

Roadster renovations
:agree: Know Doc made initially for the RT, so suggest you ask if it will fit :thumbup:
https://www.roadsterrenovations.info/misc-items

Buckeye Chuck 54
09-23-2018, 04:13 PM
My right front hinge broke off and I tried to fix it with super glue. Didn't do
so well. I sent for Doc's repair kit, tried to do it, and still couldn't do it.
I should say here I'm handicapped and can't lay down to do what needs done.
My super glue "fix" gummed things up. So I rode my 2014 RT-S to his shop
and he did the fix for nothing. His repair works better than original. BRP makes
a very expensive machine and has third world side case hinges.
But follow instructions and you'll be able to do it.

Good luck.
Chuck

I have a 2016 Can Am Spyder F3T and the hinge on my right saddle bag recently broke. Can someone direct me where I can get a replacement? THANK YOU

Bob Denman
09-23-2018, 04:45 PM
Doc (obviously) has a lot on his mind right now... nojoke
Don't be surprised if it takes him longer than usual to get back to you...

PW2013STL
09-23-2018, 05:00 PM
If you still have warranty then take it to your dealer as that would be covered.

Bfromla
10-02-2018, 06:10 PM
Any update?:shocked::dontknow::dontknow:

Revalden
09-10-2021, 10:46 PM
:agree: Know Doc made initially for the RT, so suggest you ask if it will fit :thumbup:

I tried to go roadster renovations web site, couldn't get to it. Sent email alas no response. does anyone know what's going on at Humphries? Or perhaps another source for the repair kit?

pegasus1300
09-10-2021, 11:29 PM
Roadster renovations is long gone away and nobody knows what has happened to Doc. I also don't know where you can get a repair kit. Check cheapcycleparts to see if you can get replacements parts. This is an old thread and I think your quoted post from bfromla was from 2 years ago.:oldpost:

Revalden
09-10-2021, 11:49 PM

I tried to go roadster renovations web site, couldn't get to it. Sent email alas no response. does anyone know what's going on at Humphries? Or perhaps another source for the repair kit?

pegasus1300
09-10-2021, 11:50 PM
Read post #9

trikermutha
09-11-2021, 04:01 AM
Doc had a personal tragedy happen and after that not sure. I have not seen anyone else make or offer the hinge kits he sold. So it either you make your own or someone is willing to take on making them again. Good luck.

EdMat
09-11-2021, 08:07 AM
I can't remember who reminded me of this process about a year ago but I just used it to repair a broken hinge on my 19 RTL.
You will need a small bottle, some acetone and a black ABS fitting from the hardware store.
I used a drill then snips to create small pieces of ABS. Put the pieces in the bottle and add some acetone. It will take a few hours but you are making your own glue. Adjust it until you have a thick mixture.
I removed the complete lid and hinges. One side at the point where the hinge attaches was broken away and a section was missing, the other side was broken but still matched up. The top part was intact but weakened.
Use a q tip, rag, brush etc with some of the acetone to clean the area well. Cleaner the better.
Start by forcing any split parts apart and using something like a popsicle stick coat it with your glue so it gets into the split. You can replace any missing sections you encounter with the glue.

I like the popsicle sticks for the tool. You can cut them into a few different shape before you start so you can form just about any shape.
The glue needs to be thick, but not as thick as putty, you want to be able to work it into tight places, but you want it to stay put and not run after placement.
Let it dry for 24 hours and it is once again one part.

That said, I am on the lookout for some 1/2" wide thin but strong steel stock. I intend to make the center section slightly wider than the hinge itself then right angles up to the face of the exterior of the case then bend over about 1/2". Naturally I will drill 2 holes for the hinge but on the outer part that will rest on the face of the case I think I will drill a few small holes and then use the ABS mixture behind it getting forced into the holes as I screw everything together. Hope that's clearer than mud :)

nslowmotion
09-11-2021, 09:22 AM
I have talked to Doc many times since his wife passed away. He had had a SERIOUS string of bad events in his life and he really went to a dark place. He is not in business anymore and all of his online content has been removed.

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-11-2021, 03:24 PM
I have talked to Doc many times since his wife passed away. He had had a SERIOUS string of bad events in his life and he really went to a dark place. He is not in business anymore and all of his online content has been removed.

I've met and ridden with Doc and His wife before She passed. ..... Sorry to hear this ....sending many :pray:............Mike :thumbup:

budC
09-28-2021, 06:23 PM
EdMat, great writeup, but one comment: you don't need to make your own ABS glue. Buy a small can of ABS cement when you are at the hardware store. You can thin it with acetone , or thicken it with shavings off a piece of black ABS pipe.
I clamped a short piece of 2" ABS pipe and then used a "cheese grater" type "sandpaper" in a holder -like used for plaster sanding- on the end of the pipe like I was trying to shorten the length. A paper towel under it collected the shaving, and mixing it in to ABS cement gave me a material as viscous as cold molasses that I used for years to repair tupperware on my ST1100.

pidjones
09-29-2021, 07:21 AM
EdMat, great writeup, but one comment: you don't need to make your own ABS glue. Buy a small can of ABS cement when you are at the hardware store. You can thin it with acetone , or thicken it with shavings off a piece of black ABS pipe.
I clamped a short piece of 2" ABS pipe and then used a "cheese grater" type "sandpaper" in a holder -like used for plaster sanding- on the end of the pipe like I was trying to shorten the length. A paper towel under it collected the shaving, and mixing it in to ABS cement gave me a material as viscous as cold molasses that I used for years to repair tupperware on my ST1100.

ABS cement is no longer carried in our local hardware or big box stores, and even if it was would be very old. I get it on Amazon and it is fresh. You can get GP cleaner locally, however. Most motorcycle tupperware is ABS, and I "rescue" fence row finds as a hobby. Reinforcement can be done by bedding in fiberglass cloth. Sections cut from wreck take-offs (see a local motorcycle repair shop for free pieces) can be used to fill large gaps. Or even build missing sections.

EdMat
09-29-2021, 06:06 PM
I did manage to find a can of ABS specific glue at a mom and pop hardware store. None of the big box places had any in stock. Don't know if it was old or what but it did not work anywhere near as good as what I made up, and while i tried to add some small ABS pieces to it, they didn't melt correctly. That tells me the can was no good to start with.

seagravesg
09-30-2021, 07:58 AM
Not sure if you have found a fix so far but both my hinges on 2020 F3-T got broke when another bike clipped me. BRP has a very good parts diagram for ordering anything and easy to figure out exactly what you need down to the washers and screws. Got both hinges for ~$20.

PW2013STL
09-30-2021, 08:17 AM
That said, I am on the lookout for some 1/2" wide thin but strong steel stock. I intend to make the center section slightly wider than the hinge itself then right angles up to the face of the exterior of the case then bend over about 1/2". Naturally I will drill 2 holes for the hinge but on the outer part that will rest on the face of the case I think I will drill a few small holes and then use the ABS mixture behind it getting forced into the holes as I screw everything together. Hope that's clearer than mud :)

Check out McMaster-Carr. They carry many sizes and types.

budC
10-01-2021, 02:14 PM
The way ABS cement works is to actually melt the ABS material it's contacting, just like welding. "Old" ABS cement has had too much of the acetone (that actually does the melting) evaporate. Up to a point adding a little acetone and mixing it well will renew it. The "point" is where its no longer liquid enough to easily mix. At that point, you can save it, but, to me, it's not worth the effort if I have to dissolve large chunks. The stuffs not that expensive.