PDA

View Full Version : Ryker Maintenance

delkhouri
09-19-2018, 02:36 PM
One of the benefits of the 1330 engine is longer maintenance schedule over the 998. I haven't see anything written about the Ryker's maintenance schedule either for the 600 or 900. Anyone know anything? Has it been announced?

Also, it seems that the Ryker will be a bit easier to work on the the removeable panels and easy accessibility

ARtraveler
09-19-2018, 02:39 PM
Very good questions. :bbq::bbq::bbq::bbq::bowdown: :bowdown:

Rob Rodriguez
09-19-2018, 02:42 PM
In the snowmobile the 900 ACE recommended oil changes are every 3000 miles with the initial oil change being at 1000 miles. Not sure what will be listed for the Ryker?

AeroPilot
09-19-2018, 04:42 PM
Like other "suggested" services, this might be adjusted as they hit the road, but I assume its based on their ATVs and sleds?

I am most interested in whether they have an adjustable valve service, as well as the oil change intervals:popcorn::popcorn:

Sarge707
09-19-2018, 05:05 PM
If its the same as the Spark and GTI its only 2 Quarts of oil and the filter is super easy to deal with. I have 150 hours total on them and the engine is super smooth . I can envision the top lifting off to change the plugs- Which was a Major affair on the RT and F3.
Gonna see what the dealer will give me for a projected trade tomorrow pending their arrival in a couple months? .
I'm Not making a wise financial decision by buying this- But I'm gonna be 70 soon and you only go around once!
Wonder if the Snow Machines required valve adjustment?

Chupaca
09-19-2018, 06:35 PM
Was watching the 900 ACE sled motor history and see it comes with a "Sport" "Standard" and "ECO" ryding mode...wonder if it will be the same on the Ryker..??

spyderider1
09-19-2018, 07:09 PM
I have the 900 ACE in the Ski Doo Blizzard and last winter it ran flawless. Very smooth, quiet, and plenty of torque in the low end. I realize the Ryker is a different application but I would liken the 900 as the little brother to the 1330. Similar in design and the service techs should have some experience working on the two in comparison.

Rob Rodriguez
09-19-2018, 07:20 PM
No Valve checks.

HERO
09-19-2018, 08:16 PM
I have the 900 ACE in the Ski Doo Blizzard and last winter it ran flawless. Very smooth, quiet, and plenty of torque in the low end. I realize the Ryker is a different application but I would liken the 900 as the little brother to the 1330. Similar in design and the service techs should have some experience working on the two in comparison.

This whole Ryker thing just keeps getting better and better!

(Before I begin—sending out a hearty “hello” & “thank you” to all— I’ve been soaking up information from the site for the past year and a half and I’ve learned QUITE a bit from everyone. I hope to be able to return the favor in the future.)

The poster above mentioned service techs and the experience they’ll have in working on the Rykers CVT engine—which was something that I had TOTALLY forgotten about. (It seems that BRP put an EXTREME amount of thought into their new venture) I know PLENTY of mechanics that REFUSED to work on Spyders due to them being engines that they were unfamiliar with. This was another reason—amongst others, I believe—why Spyders didn’t catch on as much as they could have. Agree? Disagree?

As time goes on—and the more thought I give to it, I’m starting to realize more and more that BRP might REALLY be headed where they want to be with the Ryker. Ease of engine modifications, Custom configurations, low price point and a stripped down, bare-bones motorized vehicle which BEGS to be customized right from the showroom floor. When aiming for a younger demographic, the recipe seems almost FOOLPROOF.

Time will tell. We’ll have to wait and see!

blacklightning
09-19-2018, 08:54 PM
Gonna see what the dealer will give me for a projected trade tomorrow pending their arrival in a couple months? .
I'm Not making a wise financial decision by buying this- But I'm gonna be 70 soon and you only go around once!
Post back here before accepting their trade in amount. It might be worth your while, and also let someone else get into spyder riding at a pretty good deal. The Ryder is nice, but there will be many that would still rather have a nice, used F3 vs. a new Ryder. If nothing else, pm me their offer, I might be in the market for one by then. Going in with cash is always better than a trade.;)

Bfromla
09-19-2018, 11:06 PM
good lil vid showing some of the key aspects of Ryker:clap:, not all the details mind you, but some interesting points none the less:thumbup:
https://youtu.be/MwIBhz5-OhM

Triumphcycleman
09-20-2018, 08:50 AM
The ACE platform provides longer oil change intervals and no valve adjustments necessary due to the unique valve spring hydraulic lifter cap design. Also, the front glove box is easily removed via push pin pulling and it exposes the valve cover, spark plugs and coil packs for very easy plug service. The air filter and CVT air filter take the same filter unit and are easily accessed by popping the covers off of the side (which are held by pins in rubber). The driveshaft is enclosed and maintenance free. The CVT belt is a maintenance item replaceable approx every 12,000 miles and supposedly uses the Ski Doo 850 ETec belt ($184.99). Getting to the belt is pretty easy. They demonstrated it by removing approx 6 mounting bolts, then turning the handlebars and pivoting up the whole rear section of the bike to expose the belt cover. If this cover is like all of the other CVT covers, you simply loosen all of the bolts (they stay held in the cover), remove the cover, then use a pulley drive pin to open the clutch sheave and remove/replace the belt. We sell this tool (drive pin) for about $14 (for ATV's/UTV's) and it allows anyone to change it pretty easily. Snowmobile guys are very familiar with this process. About the only other thing we do to a CVT is occasionally clean it with a spray cleaner. This removes any belt residue from the normal belt wear.
As for other maintenance items.... the tires are reported to wear between 45-70% better than the current Spyder (have no idea why, but vehicle weight and tire compound probably has something to do with it). There is no power steering unit, or air ride suspension to contend with, nor is there a belt to align, and the wheels come off with the removal of a safety clip and a big nut. Should be very economical to own.

One of the benefits of the 1330 engine is longer maintenance schedule over the 998. I haven't see anything written about the Ryker's maintenance schedule either for the 600 or 900. Anyone know anything? Has it been announced?

Also, it seems that the Ryker will be a bit easier to work on the the removeable panels and easy accessibility

Sarge707
09-20-2018, 10:01 AM
The ACE platform provides longer oil change intervals and no valve adjustments necessary due to the unique valve spring hydraulic lifter cap design. Also, the front glove box is easily removed via push pin pulling and it exposes the valve cover, spark plugs and coil packs for very easy plug service. The air filter and CVT air filter take the same filter unit and are easily accessed by popping the covers off of the side (which are held by pins in rubber). The driveshaft is enclosed and maintenance free. The CVT belt is a maintenance item replaceable approx every 12,000 miles and supposedly uses the Ski Doo 850 ETec belt ($184.99). Getting to the belt is pretty easy. They demonstrated it by removing approx 6 mounting bolts, then turning the handlebars and pivoting up the whole rear section of the bike to expose the belt cover. If this cover is like all of the other CVT covers, you simply loosen all of the bolts (they stay held in the cover), remove the cover, then use a pulley drive pin to open the clutch sheave and remove/replace the belt. We sell this tool (drive pin) for about $14 (for ATV's/UTV's) and it allows anyone to change it pretty easily. Snowmobile guys are very familiar with this process. About the only other thing we do to a CVT is occasionally clean it with a spray cleaner. This removes any belt residue from the normal belt wear.
As for other maintenance items.... the tires are reported to wear between 45-70% better than the current Spyder (have no idea why, but vehicle weight and tire compound probably has something to do with it). There is no power steering unit, or air ride suspension to contend with, nor is there a belt to align, and the wheels come off with the removal of a safety clip and a big nut. Should be very economical to own.
Thanks! That's what we want to hear!!! :ohyea:

delkhouri
09-20-2018, 01:16 PM

Thanks for the detailed informative reply. I am thinking the Ryker will be a real winner and it's nice that they seem to have thought it through and made maintenance easier. I still prefer a manual or even semi-automatic over a cvt but that is a personal preference and likely won't be a deal breaker. The only real question me is whether there will be enough storage or storage options.

old Timer
09-21-2018, 08:12 AM
I suspect quiet strongly that you will see a longer life than 12,000 miles on the CVT belt after the Rykers are in the field. Don't remember exactly, but the CVT belt life on the Aprillia Mana Motorcycle was well over 12,000 miles.

We had one and loved it.

Bfromla
09-30-2018, 01:25 PM
good lil vid showing some of the key aspects of Ryker:clap:, not all the details mind you, but some interesting points none the less:thumbup:
https://youtu.be/MwIBhz5-OhM
Additional info I learned at Bikes blues & BBQ:166185safety card &access to dipstick, air filter & a small funnel(primarily for emergency gas)166186and the "key" is now just a fob166187 clips to a ball on side but supposedly will work if in your pocket (was not demonstrated in front of me) also the ryker is bit small for my 6'3" self just not as comfortable as my ST. Still waiting for my chance to test ryde all the same:ohyea:

KID Ryker
11-10-2018, 09:51 PM
If its the same as the Spark and GTI its only 2 Quarts of oil and the filter is super easy to deal with. I have 150 hours total on them and the engine is super smooth . I can envision the top lifting off to change the plugs- Which was a Major affair on the RT and F3.

( I'm Not making a wise financial decision by buying this- But I'm gonna be 70 soon and you only go around once! ) LOVE IT I'm with you.

watertowerman
12-23-2018, 08:45 AM
I just test rode one with the upgraded seat yesterday, 12/22/18 in Minnesota so it was a short and cold ride. 1st, I sat on one with stock seat and it was not as comfortable. but, with the upgraded seat it felt good and I am 6'2. The upgrade is higher and does not have the big lip on the back.

Tslepebull
12-23-2018, 09:21 AM
The owners manual is available for download at the BRP site and describes most service in detail. Oil change intervals will be 6,000 miles. Transmission and final drive fluid changes are 12,000 miles or annual; procedures (and fluids) are very similar to my old BMW GS. Plug change interval is 12,000 miles but on the ground will likely be twice that and will be easy to get to. As previously stated valve clearance is hydraulic so no adjustment is necessary. This appears to be a machine that will be very DIY friendly.

Deanna777
12-23-2018, 10:45 AM
Questions:

Will the Ryker have the D.E.S.S. system?

Also will the Ryker be able to tow a trailer if needed?

I know it is a fun factor/or a commute spyder.

Deanna

tibadoe
12-23-2018, 03:00 PM
..........This appears to be a machine that will be very DIY friendly.

That's what I consider very appealing. I love to do as much of the services as I can. After reading the manual everything looks pretty straight forward. A big plus for the Ryker!

Sarge707
12-23-2018, 03:16 PM
I just test rode one with the upgraded seat yesterday, 12/22/18 in Minnesota so it was a short and cold ride. 1st, I sat on one with stock seat and it was not as comfortable. but, with the upgraded seat it felt good and I am 6'2. The upgrade is higher and does not have the big lip on the back.
I sat on a 600 Model today and found mounting was Very easy compared to my F3 with the Passenger handle bars BUT I also found the seat to be stiff or hard compared to my F3 Seat? Wonder if the Rally seat is more comfortable??? Its Not a deal breaker But I don't think I'm selling the F3 anymore! While this is going to be a Fun Sporty vehicle I still want the F3 to ride also AND with trade-in values So low there is absolutely No reason to sell a F3 with 15,000 miles!
Was the upgraded seat the Comfort seat they offer OR a Rally seat which is supposed to be thicker???

JayBros
12-23-2018, 06:08 PM
The maintenance schedule begins on page 89 of the operator's guide. Now we have to answer this question only N - X times, where N is the number of people who buy Rykers and X is the number of owners who RTFM.

Markubis
12-24-2018, 09:54 AM
I sat on a 600 Model today and found mounting was Very easy compared to my F3 with the Passenger handle bars BUT I also found the seat to be stiff or hard compared to my F3 Seat? Wonder if the Rally seat is more comfortable??? Its Not a deal breaker But I don't think I'm selling the F3 anymore! While this is going to be a Fun Sporty vehicle I still want the F3 to ride also AND with trade-in values So low there is absolutely No reason to sell a F3 with 15,000 miles!
Was the upgraded seat the Comfort seat they offer OR a Rally seat which is supposed to be thicker???

Maybe you should try one with the Comfort Seat installed? I also expect the aftermarket crowd to be offering seats as well.

rocinante54
12-24-2018, 01:18 PM
Very good information. I've been thinking about going to three wheels for awhile now. Seems like the Ryker will make the jump easy.

CTAC
12-24-2018, 05:53 PM
The 900 has gone of acceleration. You will love it!

watertowerman
12-31-2018, 05:22 PM
it was the comfort seat, the rally stock seat is better padded then regular and the comfort is better than that. It does not have a big lip on the back that always bugs my tail bone, I use a gel sheepskin Pro Pad on my Wing and Super Tenere, I am sure I will one on this also. It works for me.