PDA

View Full Version : automatic and steep grades?

vondalyn
09-18-2018, 09:24 AM
As I was headed down the mountain the other day and read the sign "save your brakes, use a lower gear" and smelling all the burning brakes from cars where the drivers apparently don't know how to get to their lower gears with their automatics I wondered about the Ryker -- I know NOTHING about CVT -- will it adjust for a steep grade, or will the rider be stuck riding the brakes?

5Wheels
09-18-2018, 09:27 AM
My car, a hybrid, has a cvt transmission. It has a low gear.

vondalyn
09-18-2018, 09:38 AM
does it go into low gear automatically or do you have to do anything? My last few automatic cars have ALL gears available to me and I'm able to drive in "semi-manual mode" where I can change gears like I would for a manual transmission, just no clutch. It's still a manual process to do that. The automatics I owned before that had the "1" and "2" where you pop it into one of those and the lower gear would keep the vehicle from going too fast. I just wondered if the Ryker had something similar (and it's a manual process) or if it will do everything itself, or if the brake is the only option.

Rob Rodriguez
09-18-2018, 09:38 AM
As I was headed down the mountain the other day and read the sign "save your brakes, use a lower gear" and smelling all the burning brakes from cars where the drivers apparently don't know how to get to their lower gears with their automatics I wondered about the Ryker -- I know NOTHING about CVT -- will it adjust for a steep grade, or will the rider be stuck riding the brakes?

If it's anything like a sled (am I sure it is) then as long as you keep the RPM low the "gearing" will be lower and you will go slower. In fact sleds are very good about slowing down quickly and back shifting as soon as you let off the throttle. Good back shifting is important because it determines how quickly you can increase throttle and accelerate after deceleration. Sleds have this dialed in perfectly and I'm sure the Ryker does as well.

So, keep the RPM low, the Ryker will go slower down hills but you may need to use the brakes as well here and there.

Last time I went over RMNP a truck pulling a trailer a few cars in front of me had smoke rolling out of the trailer brakes. Ohhhh the smell was bad.

vondalyn
09-18-2018, 09:41 AM
If it's anything like a sled (am I sure it is) then as long as you keep the RPM low the "gearing" will be lower and you will go slower. In fact sleds are very good about slowing down quickly and back shifting as soon as you let off the throttle. Good back shifting is important because it determines how quickly you can increase throttle and accelerate after deceleration. Sleds have this dialed in perfectly and I'm sure the Ryker does as well.

So, keep the RPM low, the Ryker will go slower down hills but you may need to use the brakes as well here and there.

Last time I went over RMNP a truck pulling a trailer a few cars in front of me had smoke rolling out of the trailer brakes. Ohhhh the smell was bad.

Bob Denman
09-18-2018, 09:57 AM
Virtually all of the new CVT setups have a "hold-back" feature built into them. :thumbup:
Ski Doo has been around since the 1950's using CVTs in their sleds: they know how to make them work! :clap:

Chupaca
09-18-2018, 10:53 AM
I have a manual trans in my VW sportswagon that has an automatic hold when the clutch is released on a hill. It also has an automatic downshift when coasting down hill but eventually you do have to shift to the next gear. So I would imagine they would have something built in...:thumbup:

Bob Denman
09-18-2018, 11:11 AM
CVTs are "stepless" transmissions: no gears; just a set of pulleys and a belt. This setup has literally an infinite number of "gears" as the belt moves on the pulleys. :thumbup:

Triumphcycleman
09-18-2018, 11:32 AM
It sort of automatically has hold back as the CVT spools down on deceleration. That ends at/near idle and it free wheels. This is much more pronounced on an AVT, as they actually have a one way bearing on the clutch to create a ton of "hold back", but that would be awful on a Ryker (too much)

Bob Denman
09-18-2018, 11:45 AM
The newer CVTs don't disengage and freewheel anymore. :thumbup: That "hold-back" feature was widely touted when it was introduced about a dozen year's ago.

Rob Rodriguez
09-18-2018, 11:48 AM
The newer CVTs don't disengage and freewheel anymore. :thumbup: That "hold-back" feature was widely touted when it was introduced about a dozen year's ago.

I believe they do if you don't keep them at or above engagement RPM. Otherwise there is no "grip" on the belt and the clutches are free to turn,

canamjhb
09-18-2018, 12:02 PM
I use to own a Can Am Commander that had CVT. It had probably the best engine braking system of all ATVs. Just let off on the skinny peddle and it was like putting the brakes on. I could go down extremely steep terrain without touching the brakes.....

Bob Denman
09-18-2018, 12:07 PM
I believe they do if you don't keep them at or above engagement RPM. Otherwise there is no "grip" on the belt and the clutches are free to turn,
They used to do that: your information is out of date... :D

I've taken countess numbers of WILD rides down off of mountain trails: blipping the throttle to try and keep the clutches engaged... those days are now long past all of us. :thumbup:

billybovine
09-18-2018, 12:13 PM
I would assume it is like a sled and there will be cases where the CVT will be disengaged and won't give you any engine braking. Stopping on a hill. You will quickly learn that you can blip the throttle and engage the CVT to get engine braking started.

ARtraveler
09-18-2018, 12:38 PM
I have a Subaru Outback, which has a CVT. It does NOT seem to hold the hills. However, I can shift into "regular" with the paddle shifters. My 2017 gives me six choices for gears. It will hold when set.

Cannot speak to the CVT on the Ryker--but am guessing there will be something. The thirteen mile "Hatcher Pass" descent would be a real thrill ride without engine braking. The RT's hold whatever gear they are in for the downgrade.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Rob Rodriguez
09-18-2018, 12:52 PM
The machine will hold whatever "gear" you keep the RPM at. If clutch engagement is at 3000 RPM (as an example...I have no idea what the Ryker engagement RPM is) that means just to get the machine moving from a stop you have to at least be giving enough throttle to reach 3000 RPM. If you hold the throttle at about 3000 RPM you move very slow. This is true if you are on flat ground, going down hill or going up hill. When you increase RPM you move faster. This is true if you are on flat ground, going down hill or going up hill. Once you have reached the RPM limit the clutches have fully "shifted" out and you are at maximum speed.

If you want to move slowly down a steep grade use very little throttle and keep the RPM low just above engagement. You don't have to worry about what gear you are in. There are no gears. You just have to maintain a certain RPM (or RPM range) and the engine and clutches do the rest.

It's as simple as.
More throttle = faster movement on flat ground, uphill or downhill
Less throttle = slower movement on flat ground, uphill or downhill

Bob Denman
09-18-2018, 01:07 PM
Yup! :agree: :clap: :thumbup:

5Wheels
09-18-2018, 02:36 PM
does it go into low gear automatically or do you have to do anything? My last few automatic cars have ALL gears available to me and I'm able to drive in "semi-manual mode" where I can change gears like I would for a manual transmission, just no clutch. It's still a manual process to do that. The automatics I owned before that had the "1" and "2" where you pop it into one of those and the lower gear would keep the vehicle from going too fast. I just wondered if the Ryker had something similar (and it's a manual process) or if it will do everything itself, or if the brake is the only option.
ris

I don't use the low gear as it is a very low. Being a hybrid, it has regenerative braking and that slows the car down.

Bob Denman
09-18-2018, 05:16 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jffePCHt11A

Fat Baxter
09-18-2018, 10:54 PM
I've noticed that my new-ish Hyundai Santa Fe (if the cruise control is engaged) will actually downshift on downgrades and use engine braking in an attempt to maintain the set speed. Kinda works.

Harrison55
03-23-2020, 07:54 AM
I like the pic have yellow rt and name her Carmen for the Banana spider

BajaRon
03-23-2020, 08:23 AM
I have a manual trans in my VW sportswagon that has an automatic hold when the clutch is released on a hill. It also has an automatic downshift when coasting down hill but eventually you do have to shift to the next gear. So I would imagine they would have something built in...:thumbup:

Awesome! I also have a 2015 SEL Sportwagen TDi with a 6 speed manual trans. I love it!

The Ryker has a great transmission. I have to say that it is the best automatic that I have ever driven (other than the annoying jerk on engagement). It really shines in the mountains. Steep grades, up or down. No problem. It seems to sense that you want more hold-back when you throttle down on steep downhill grades. I have been impressed with my Ryker overall. And especially with the CVT.

I had a 1979 Husqvarna 390 dirt bike with 4 speed automatic transmission. Those were the Good Old Days for sure! It was great! Never missed a shift. And the gear was always correct for the situation. Missing a shift on a steep hill climb! You don't want to go there! But it freewheeled. Absolutely NO hold-back. That was hard to deal with. Steep downhills were a major concern with that bike.

Geo333
03-30-2020, 04:03 PM
Ryker does really well coming down steep grades. The engine has a lot of compression and as RPM drops the pullies adjust to slow the bike down.