PDA

View Full Version : ANOTHER 18 -NO MAUAL DOWNSHIFT

irvin48
09-17-2018, 07:32 AM
gentleman came in the shop last week . has only put 300 miles on his 18 rts.
says no manual downshift. auto dshift works fine. main reason he is upset is
he is my age and reverse wont work either because of this and its heavy.
also has a sloped driveway. taking it to the dealer. has brp issued anything on this problem yet?
he didnt know about this forum so im asking for him. thanks--irv

ps--have the F3' had this problem at all?

Ex Winger
09-17-2018, 07:37 AM
Its a known problem.Several have had this problem.Had mine repaired last week they had the new paddle shifter in stock.Took approx 2 hours.Hope your friend gets his repaired soon.

billybovine
09-17-2018, 09:50 AM
Call the dealer and explain the problem. Ask them to refer to Warranty Bulletin 2018-5. They will replace the left handlebar controls.

woods
09-17-2018, 09:09 PM
Same for my 18 tho took 1000mi.Wrote down bulletin # thank you sir!

jbim
09-17-2018, 09:52 PM
Last week I went for my first service at 5000 kilometers. Had three issues including the downshift (plus BRP connect and rattling mirror). At first when I mentioned the downshift, the service manager told me he would look into it but had not heard anything special about it. Then one hour later he told me he would replace the unit (don't know what component that is specifically). Then at the end, he told me there was a bulletin on this issue and BRP recommends to change the unit if the client complains / mentions something. It was a 1.5 hours job. So they know about the issue and they will fix it on warranty.

Safe riding!

Papa Jim
09-24-2018, 12:57 AM
also has a sloped driveway. taking it to the dealer. has brp issued anything on this problem yet?

I also have a 2015 white RTL that the shifter went south with only 7500 miles
Had dealer check it said I was low on oil . I barely got home, wouldn't shift endless
I lifted the shifter and wiggled it. Took it back had it replaced out of warranty cost
me 110.00 first time to tell me okay. 850.00 to replace whole unit ....Should be a recall
item . They replaced the parking motor that called for recall, that was working fine.
Now the replacement is acting up....Go figure.....

Jarred
09-24-2018, 05:46 AM
I have an ‘18 RTL, I’ve never had a problem w Reverse but I’ve noticed it doesn’t let me downshift sometimes. Not all the time, just couple times a day. I’ll be bringing her in for service soon, guess I should mention this. Get it replaced before it really becomes a problem, and while it’s still under warranty. I’ve got some big rides coming up, would hate to have this problem while 1200 miles from home.
‘Thanks for sharing this.

Big F
09-24-2018, 09:04 AM

go to your dealer. there is a problem that BRP knows about and they are replacing the shifting mechanism
BIG F

rocketman74
09-24-2018, 02:23 PM

Is the concern/cause of this issue when someone manually downshifts, or when letting the Spyder do it for you? I just bought an 18 F3-S as well. If I'm doing something I shouldn't be, I'd like to correct the behavior sooner rather than later.

ARtraveler
09-24-2018, 02:32 PM
A lot of "tranny shifting" issues cropping up on the 18's.

My 2014 did it--took it to the shop--they said it was fine and could not get it to do what I said it was doing. Hey--who am I to suggest something may have been wrong with my 2014????? It worked for me for the next couple days--then it would NOT go into gear, NO reverse, and was "wonky" on the downshifts. All this, and I spent $537 for that one. They replaced the oil "again" as well as transmission filter and the extra oil that went with that.

Two weeks later--it's doing it again. I am parking it for the winter-- and will determine what to do in the spring. NOT A HAPPY CAMPER--HERE. :(:(

I am thinking it may be vacuum hose related????????????

Unfortunatly...I cannot go to another dealer--there are none. I would like to make a scene and get it fixed--regardless--but I cannot burn that bridge either. :bowdown:

jlc41
09-25-2018, 01:50 PM
Yup, my new 18 f3L is at the dealer waiting for a new paddle sifter assembly. Bummer. Took it in for an upgrade to 13.25 after the upgrade no shift. How's that for being in the right place at the right time. They called BRP to confirm it's a known problem.
Joe

billybovine
09-25-2018, 03:35 PM
Is the concern/cause of this issue when someone manually downshifts, or when letting the Spyder do it for you? I just bought an 18 F3-S as well. If I'm doing something I shouldn't be, I'd like to correct the behavior sooner rather than later.

It has nothing to do with how you use it. There is a defect in some of the left multifunction controls for 2018. It may have effect on some of the other buttons not working correctly as well. Not just the shifter paddle. Either you will have a problem or not. Drive on and just do not worry about it unless you have an actual problem.

rocketman74
09-25-2018, 03:39 PM
It has nothing to do with how you use it. There is a defect in some of the left multifunction controls for 2018. It may have effect on some of the other buttons not working correctly as well. Not just the shifter paddle. Either you will have a problem or not. Drive on and just do not worry about it unless you have an actual problem.

Got it, thanks! I'll keep an eye on any such issues and work with my dealer if the problems arise.