PDA

View Full Version : Still waiting for a major change to the RT

Alberts46
09-14-2018, 07:52 PM
I don’t post often but read the forums multiple times daily. My first RT was a 2011 coming from numerous two wheelers. Loved it from first ride and when they made major changes in 2014 bought a new one. Still waiting for any major change other than a digital dash, etc. I would settle for even a body change but would really enjoy more horse power. Might just be me but hoping again for 2020.

oldguyinTX
09-14-2018, 08:39 PM
While BRP could certainly very easily and probably cost effectively jack up the horsepower of the 1330, they most likely don't see the need to do so, as most of us 1330 owners are happy with things just the way they are. Yes, they do so with their ATV/off road vehicles, Skidoos & Seadoos, but those appeal to a totally different demographic than Spyders. I wouldn't look for any significant horsepower changes from BRP as far as the 1330 is concerned. Now, if they developed a horizontally opposed 6 cylinder 1800, well then I would think there would be more HP.

P-57
09-14-2018, 08:59 PM
Drive shaft
winter panels or vents for cool weather riding (to use engine heat in passenger zone)
rider position like F3 while keeping passenger comfort as is or better
Bring MSRP down to discount clearance price.

Phil

Motorcycledave
09-14-2018, 09:10 PM
Sounds like you are wanting them to copy the Honda GoldWing along with the shaft drive...
that would make it near perfect.

While BRP could certainly very easily and probably cost effectively jack up the horsepower of the 1330, they most likely don't see the need to do so, as most of us 1330 owners are happy with things just the way they are. Yes, they do so with their ATV/off road vehicles, Skidoos & Seadoos, but those appeal to a totally different demographic than Spyders. I wouldn't look for any significant horsepower changes from BRP as far as the 1330 is concerned. Now, if they developed a horizontally opposed 6 cylinder 1800, well then I would think there would be more HP.

Gunner3773
09-14-2018, 09:13 PM
+1 on the driveshaft. I loved them on my Shadow, Vulcan, and Valkyries. The 1330 really needs to jump the horsepower a bit also. I have noticed two-up passing or passing with a trailer can become a dancing act with the trans. More than once I have said to myself when passing, "Come on, come on, oh crap!" LOL

JayD
09-14-2018, 09:18 PM
Love my 2014 RTS the way it is. Plus I owe nothing on it.:yes:

Bob Denman
09-15-2018, 01:10 PM
Since the Ryker has a driveshaft: the other bikes will get it next. :thumbup:
Three years... TOPS! nojoke

ARtraveler
09-15-2018, 01:25 PM
Most would like to see the RT "Wingized." Bigger engine, (1800 suggested), updated styling, etc.

I too, have said the same over the last five years or so.

I am glad to see the overall prices go down with the addition of the 2019's. GW did the same for theirs. $26K will get you a nice one now.

A difficult situation for many of us who have rode "big iron" and luxury offerings from other manufacturers.

Remains to be seen what will the final outcome be. The $30K price tag was tough for a few. The new $40K on some of the HD has about killed that brand.

Unfortunately, because of price, the "luxomobiles" are mostly for the ones with a few more bucks--not the up and comers that make up a lot of the market.

A rock and a hard place situation for the manufacturers.

meerkat
09-15-2018, 01:39 PM
I personally think that if Honda would make a factory three wheeler , Can Am would loose a lot of customers . :joke:

trikermutha
09-15-2018, 02:54 PM
Wonder if a drive shaft version for the RT comes out if that would pass on to the Slingshot? ;)

Bob Denman
09-15-2018, 04:40 PM
:roflblack: The Slingshot is already a shaftie… :D

Firefly
09-15-2018, 11:55 PM
I personally think that if Honda would make a factory three wheeler , Can Am would loose a lot of customers . :joke:

Only if it's a reverse trike.. most of us Spyder owners understand and appreciate the reverse trike configuration which is far superior to conventional trikes.

But if Honda were to do a reverse trike with the right specs I'd have to seriously consider getting one.

PMK
09-16-2018, 04:53 AM
Honestly, initially I pretty much hated the belt drive. Vibrations and worry.

After reading where many drive belts have gone more than or are approaching 100 k on the drive belt, it eases my concerns.

Since lowering the belt tension to the Service Bulletin specs, the vibration is essentially gone. We may feel a slight hint with added load such as an overpass at 75 mph, merely the few seconds and then any vibration disappears.

I still remain intrigued by the Honda NeoWing. Maybe someday Honda will release it.

I do sometimes want more power and remain convinced the 1330 is detuned a bit too much. As the other guy mentioned, on the highway, making that pass, it really could use another 25 to 30 hp. Ironically, many readers instantly equate added HP to being a racer. Hardly, it’s a heavy RTS and simply lacks good numbers when you factor in the concept of pushing a barn door down the highway.

trikermutha
09-16-2018, 06:39 AM

:hun: it is?

Bob Denman
09-16-2018, 08:24 AM
Yup! Lokk at their specs... :roflblack:

Manual transmission back to a shaft drive... and then to a captured drive belt! It's got everything that you could ever want (and some things that you might not... :joke:)

It's the damndest thing that you ever saw!

trikermutha
09-16-2018, 08:44 AM
Partial drive shaft. I couldnt see them running that long of a belt anyway. :roflblack:

PMK
09-16-2018, 10:08 AM
Yup! Lokk at their specs... :roflblack:

Manual transmission back to a shaft drive... and then to a captured drive belt! It's got everything that you could ever want (and some things that you might not... :joke:)

It's the damndest thing that you ever saw!

Probably has Posi Traction too.

SpyderSteveFL
09-16-2018, 12:21 PM
I still remain intrigued by the Honda NeoWing. Maybe someday Honda will release it.
Yea, I've been following that since the initial concept release, I even asked some Honda reps at AIM shows and nothing... crickets. But reports in June said several of the components are in commercial production so we'll see. Yamaha will be first to market with the 2019 Niken but I think I would prefer the Neowing - and the hybrid concept is cool.

Bob Denman
09-16-2018, 12:54 PM
Probably has Posi Traction too.
:agree: The wheel that has any, and off the traction: gets the power! :thumbup:
Kind of like us! :D

PMK
09-16-2018, 01:05 PM
:agree: The wheel that has any, and off the traction: gets the power! :thumbup:
Kind of like us! :D

I was joking my friend, the Slingshot with shafts, belts and more has a single rear tire last I looked.

Just like our Spyder, it has a posi rear end...unless like some, the pulley splines implode.

eddieshep999
09-16-2018, 01:40 PM
Honda usually bring out Anniversary models, usually followed by updates to the new ones
As we have now had the Can Am 10yr Anniversary models, the time would be right for them to update one especially the RT
Honda have several DCT automatic Motorcycles inc the New 1800 Gold Wing which has shaft drive
If they built a Trike based on it, existing Spyder owners may be tempted if Can Am still only offer the 1330 Spyder with belt drive
The new Ryker models uses the ACE derived engines from the Snowmobiles/Skidoos they already have a 1600 ACE engine and the Ryker now comes with shaft drive so it’s not impossible for BRP to consider baseing the new upgrade on a New Spyder utilising this technology

scarecrow
09-16-2018, 03:34 PM
Shaftdrive and larger top load saddle bags for me.

Bob Denman
09-16-2018, 04:51 PM
I was joking my friend, the Slingshot with shafts, belts and more has a single rear tire last I looked.

Just like our Spyder, it has a posi rear end...unless like some, the pulley splines implode.

:D I know: so was I! :roflblack: :thumbup:

For the Record; here's proof:

trikermutha
09-16-2018, 05:48 PM
Someday I want to test the Posi-Trac system. :clap:

Wildrice
09-16-2018, 06:13 PM
Since the Ryker has a driveshaft: the other bikes will get it next. :thumbup:
Three years... TOPS! nojoke

Driveshafts consume more power--but it would be worth the belt adjusting grief.
Darrell

IdahoMtnSpyder
09-16-2018, 08:37 PM
Funny looking shaft drive!!! :roflblack:

trikermutha
09-16-2018, 08:59 PM
Funny looking shaft drive!!! :roflblack:

Read post 23

Nik
09-16-2018, 10:50 PM
I saw the gold wing now has DCT (Had the vfr with DCT) and they came out with a trike conversion for the new goldwing....it has me thinking 🤔

Bob Denman
09-17-2018, 06:41 AM
Driveshafts consume more power--but it would be worth the belt adjusting grief.
Darrell
Well now THAT'S the beauty of the Slingshot: you get the worst of both Worlds. :D

Belt adjustments, AND parasitic power loss! :roflblack:

burg650
09-18-2018, 07:46 AM
So you want bigger engine more power and drive shaft, so shock would need upgraded as well maybe plus new frame to handle the bigger more power. So are all ready to end up paying over $50 grand if you spec it out, goldwing trike sure sound better at this price point.

SpyderBears
09-18-2018, 03:27 PM
Completely agree!!

Only if it's a reverse trike.. most of us Spyder owners understand and appreciate the reverse trike configuration which is far superior to conventional trikes.

But if Honda were to do a reverse trike with the right specs I'd have to seriously consider getting one.

NuttyBuckeye
09-18-2018, 06:26 PM
+1 on the driveshaft. I loved them on my Shadow, Vulcan, and Valkyries. The 1330 really needs to jump the horsepower a bit also. I have noticed two-up passing or passing with a trailer can become a dancing act with the trans. More than once I have said to myself when passing, "Come on, come on, oh crap!" LOL
Have you tried leaning forward? Just kidding.

C. Lee
09-18-2018, 06:28 PM
I would like to see shaft drive, better radio and helmet storage. Other then that I'm very happy with my rtl. Chris

Fat Baxter
09-18-2018, 10:39 PM
One of the challenges with periodic body style updates and drive train changes is that it creates problems in the dealer's supply chain to keep up with all the changes. Also, if you're one who keeps his machine for a long time and the marque refreshes its product line periodically, you will eventually run into a parts availability problem. And not only do parts get harder and harder to find, but their price goes up as well.

So from a long-term cost-of-ownership perspective, it's best if the company keeps the same body style and drivetrain for a good length of time. Think of Ford's Crown Vic.

PMK
09-18-2018, 11:34 PM
Have you tried leaning forward? Just kidding.

Yes, leaning forward helps...

PMK
09-18-2018, 11:35 PM
One of the challenges with periodic body style updates and drive train changes is that it creates problems in the dealer's supply chain to keep up with all the changes. Also, if you're one who keeps his machine for a long time and the marque refreshes its product line periodically, you will eventually run into a parts availability problem. And not only do parts get harder and harder to find, but their price goes up as well.

So from a long-term cost-of-ownership perspective, it's best if the company keeps the same body style and drivetrain for a good length of time. Think of Ford's Crown Vic.

Or the rumored 1960s Ford Falcons they still make in South America...

tennhillbilly
09-19-2018, 01:47 AM

Google the Honda Neowing 3 wheeler.

amcvay1979
09-19-2018, 10:45 AM
They need a total re-design of the RT. It's a dinosaur at this point compared to the F3. The riding position is too upright, not enough adjustability. Floor boards slope downward, so you're always on the balls of your feet, at least I am. $700 if you want to adjust the handlebars, that's without labor, etc.

I agree, power should be increased. It's quick, but it's also heavy so more HP would be a welcome addition. I'd also like to see much more exhaust options. The RT is more of a quiet cruiser and that's fine, but 1 slip on can for $1000 doesn't sit well with me. Yes there's aftermarket, but come on Can-AM...offer more than 1 option.

ThreeWheels
09-19-2018, 12:04 PM
I find it amusing that people want the RT to be redesigned so that it's not.................an RT.
A little more power.............................yes. (They've already gone from a v-twin to a triple)
Some electronics that work well...................yes. (maybe the 2018 got it right, I don't know)
Shaft Drive................ABSOLUTELY
More storage................sure, the side bags could certainly be bigger.
Different colors, and color schemes ?
What else do you want ?
Fins ??

I'd like to see two things.
First, I'd like to be able to order a Spyder from the factory with options. If you want the tri-axis bars, you have to buy the stock bars AND the tri-axis bars AND have to pay for the dealer to do the removal and replacement. Same with all the chrome gee-gaws. doo-dads and what not. Wouldn't it be nice to order the Spyder and have it delivered with your chosen options already installed ?

Second, and I know I sound like a broken record, BRP needs to concentrate on improving their dealer service. Rather than add new models, make sure all their technicians know how to fix the models that they have.

Just my thoughts. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone here will let me know.

Rick H.
09-20-2018, 05:47 PM
Man oh man! You guys are hard to please. First off, the real money is in accessorizing a vehicle. Remove "farkles" like Harley has done and then charge the crap out the customer to put the same stuff on the bike that was once "standard". Oh, and when Harley did this little slight of hand with their big bikes the price on them didn't drop down one little cent. Problems come into the mix when people want to order different options right from the factory which mostly use an instant supply system. The more options you give to the customer the more difficult it is for the factory to keep up with customized orders and the greater the risk of something not being put together properly. I once ordered an AMC Jeep CJ-7 with an automatic transmission. It came with a 3 speed manual and was an end of the model year build. Now what? The V-8 option that I also wanted wasn't available the following year so I was confronted with take it, or leave it. My new wife at the time learned how to drive a manual trans pretty fast.

In reality I don't mind if the dealer adds on the extras I want, as long as the job is done properly, but the rub comes in when you get nothing back for the take off parts that many dealers try to keep for themselves to use later. Just look at the stock take-off muffler supplies most Harley dealers have on hand. Another example is the Tri-Axis handlebar. If I want one installed on my new Spyder I should get the cost of the take-off part back if I give the bars to the dealership. What the heck am I going to do with a set of new/old handlebars? Same with seats and windshields. Unfortunately it just doesn't work that way and the dealer usually is the big winner in the end. It seems to be that Harley and others have found a way to make even more money off their customers by giving them less.

Rick H.

guzzihack
09-20-2018, 06:35 PM
[QUOTE=Bob Denman;1392152]:D I know: so was I! :roflblack: :thumbup:

For the Record; here's proof:

165791[/QUO
Why the heck did they put a belt in the drive train? Evidently never heard of carrier bearings with a u-joint to a second shaft thru the swing arm.

Coke TE]

GaryinWI
09-21-2018, 10:33 AM
Wrong, it does not.

Bob Denman
09-21-2018, 10:59 AM
You quit reading too quickly, and missed the entire point of that exchange...

Take look at Post 23: it explains everything!
And Yes: it absolutely DOES have a driveshaft!