PDA

View Full Version : Ryker Custmization

Rob Rodriguez
09-14-2018, 07:42 PM
Here's a question.........

Right now you can go to the BRP website, customize a Ryker and pre-order it. But what about next June? Can you still go to the website or a dealer and spec out a Ryker exactly the way you want? I guess if you can that would mean you have to wait for it to be built. How long is the wait time? Typically BRP shuts down the Spyder lines in the summer to build sleds.

Maybe it will work more like sleds where you order in the spring and receive in the fall. If you don't pre-order you are at the mercy of whatever the dealer ordered for stock.

Just wondering exactly how this customization thing works. Sure you could buy accessories later and install them but typically factory installed options is a cheaper/cleaner way to go.

delkhouri
09-14-2018, 07:59 PM

Right now you can go to the BRP website, customize a Ryker and pre-order it. But what about next June? Can you still go to the website or a dealer and spec out a Ryker exactly the way you want? I guess if you can that would mean you have to wait for it to be built. How long is the wait time? Typically BRP shuts down the Spyder lines in the summer to build sleds.

Maybe it will work more like sleds where you order in the spring and receive in the fall. If you don't pre-order you are at the mercy of whatever the dealer ordered for stock.

Just wondering exactly how this customization thing works. Sure you could buy accessories later and install them but typically factory installed options is a cheaper/cleaner way to go.

I think much of the customization is just plug and play.... meaning that colored panels are just that, colored panels. I can order red with my Ryker and then 6 months later I can order blue and swap them out..... In order to do a passenger seat you have to add the "max mount" and then the seat connects. If you want extra storage instead of the seat you buy the top case, take off the seat and connect the top case to the "max mount". Essentially you can have your ryker and a shelf of parts in your garage that you can customize your ryker with for your specific ride.

It's actually a brilliant business model. Every Ryker is essentially the same black body (with your choice of engine or suspension if you get the rally) then you customize it with the body panels you want. If you want to upgrade the seat or suspension you just order that and it is installed. So....my best guess is that BRP/Can am will be building and sending out the basic machines and the dealers will be ordering your specific parts and installing them.

PrairieSpyder
09-15-2018, 08:49 AM
I think you'll be able to customize a Ryker at any time. The dealers will have - or can order - any bits you want to add or change. When you make a deal, specify all the extras you want on it and they'll deliver it that way. At least that's been my experience with Spyders.

Pirate looks at --
09-15-2018, 11:28 AM
My understanding from our experience with the Ryker yesterday that dealers will have any colored panels that you want. The panels just pop off and then on with a new color. Want a passenger seat, pop it on or pull it off. Add storage the same way. Next June the dealer will be able to "customize" in a few moments.

LandAirVT
09-15-2018, 11:29 AM

Hi, dealer here. The first post response is correct. There will only be 3 models shipped from the factory - The 600, 900, and Rally. Beyond that, all options and upgrades (including color) will be installed at the dealership. They are releasing some limited edition color panels....if you want one of those I would suggest buying early. Otherwise, I would imagine most parts and accessories will be readily available throughout the summer.

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-15-2018, 12:51 PM
Hi, dealer here. The first post response is correct. There will only be 3 models shipped from the factory - The 600, 900, and Rally. Beyond that, all options and upgrades (including color) will be installed at the dealership. They are releasing some limited edition color panels....if you want one of those I would suggest buying early. Otherwise, I would imagine most parts and accessories will be readily available throughout the summer. So for me the big question is ….DO YOU HAVE A RYKER at the dealership ...if so I'm on my way :yes::yes::yes::yes:

LandAirVT
09-15-2018, 01:26 PM
So for me the big question is ….DO YOU HAVE A RYKER at the dealership ...if so I'm on my way :yes::yes::yes::yes:

Haha, unfortunately not..... and no one does at the moment. Our Can-Am rep said he expects dealers up north to see Rykers around December or January. Southern dealers may see them earlier, but it looks like they'll mostly be rolling out in 2019.

Rob Rodriguez
09-15-2018, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the info. I'd really like to test ride a 900. Guess I'll have to wait until spring. :)

Sarge707
09-15-2018, 08:31 PM
I want one NOW and I'm going to Jump Up and Down Until I get One!!!! If I could at least Get a Test Ride I would sell my F3 Over the winter!!

cheska
09-15-2018, 10:42 PM
Wife wants one for her and if they are as much fun as stated we may trade in the RTS and get 2. We don't go long distances any more. We trailer behind our RV and go for local rides.

robhowen
09-16-2018, 05:34 PM
Sierra Cycles also tells me that BRP will begin shipping in December.
Rob

Haha, unfortunately not..... and no one does at the moment. Our Can-Am rep said he expects dealers up north to see Rykers around December or January. Southern dealers may see them earlier, but it looks like they'll mostly be rolling out in 2019.

safecracker
09-16-2018, 07:37 PM
Talked to my local dealer Friday and mentioned that they are getting one in around November. He also told me that in order to sell Ryker's that they had to invest $9000 dollars in an accessory display. Bruce

eddieshep999
09-17-2018, 01:30 AM
I can foresee riders doing panel swaps between themselves or if they purchase several a growing used market for coloured panels in the for sale section, which will reduce the cost to owners
If you think about BRP claim 75,000 ways to customize the Can-Am Ryker
about so there should be a lot of scope in a form section for owners to Exchange/Purchase items such as handlebars, Seats etc
Maybe we will see a Ryker triker exchange section in the future

Triumphcycleman
09-17-2018, 07:06 AM
Rob the Ryker will come to the dealer in only 3 versions, two to a crate. It will either be a 600, a 900 or a 900 rally. Every option will be installed by the dealer prior to sale. The website builder is a tool to allow you to see your individual bike, then give your dealer the list of options you want installed,

trikermutha
09-17-2018, 07:12 AM
How did Lamont get one so soon if they are not shipping until next year? :dontknow:

Rob Rodriguez
09-17-2018, 07:14 AM
How did Lamont get one so soon if they are not shipping until next year? :dontknow:

He doesn't have one. He did that using the ryker app on his phone. The app lets you build a Ryker and then display it anywhere.

trikermutha
09-17-2018, 07:18 AM
He doesn't have one. He did that using the ryker app on his phone. The app lets you build a Ryker and then display it anywhere.

Learned something new today :thumbup: :roflblack:

Culpjp
09-17-2018, 08:12 AM

If you look closely at the BRP website, when you customize a Ryker, it says in the fine print, that the price doesn't include dealer costs for installing optional accessories.

Rob Rodriguez
09-17-2018, 08:23 AM
If you look closely at the BRP website, when you customize a Ryker, it says in the fine print, that the price doesn't include dealer costs for installing optional accessories.

I saw that. It also says the price doesn't include dealer setup fees, shipping etc. Lots of dealers use this loop hole as a way to increase the price. Personally, if I build a bike (or anything) at the BRP website then the cost shown on the site should be the cost at the dealer. PERIOD!

I've been good friends with a couple of powersports dealers over the years (Both BRP and Polaris) and its my opinion that dealers are not treated very well by the manufacturer's. I don't know specifically if dealers are compensated by BRP for uncrating a unit and setup but they should be and whatever that cost is should be factored into the published MSRP. If a Ryker accessory is listed at $199 at the BRP site then that $199 cost should include dealer installation, etc. In this day and age these "hidden fees" are not necessary and quite annoying for the consumer to deal with.

Culpjp
09-17-2018, 10:22 AM
I saw that. It also says the price doesn't include dealer setup fees, shipping etc. Lots of dealers use this loop hole as a way to increase the price. Personally, if I build a bike (or anything) at the BRP website then the cost shown on the site should be the cost at the dealer. PERIOD!

I've been good friends with a couple of powersports dealers over the years (Both BRP and Polaris) and its my opinion that dealers are not treated very well by the manufacturer's. I don't know specifically if dealers are compensated by BRP for uncrating a unit and setup but they should be and whatever that cost is should be factored into the published MSRP. If a Ryker accessory is listed at $199 at the BRP site then that $199 cost should include dealer installation, etc. In this day and age these "hidden fees" are not necessary and quite annoying for the consumer to deal with.

Then that would mean every dealer would need to charge the same amount for the install. That removes any competition among dealers for your business. Some dealers will charge more some less for an install, some might even not charge you for it at all if you buy the bike from them.
Those prices are MSRP, that gives the dealer leeway to charge what they want.
It pays to shop around, and find a dealer that will deal on the price.

Rob Rodriguez
09-17-2018, 10:52 AM
Then that would mean every dealer would need to charge the same amount for the install. That removes any competition among dealers for your business. Some dealers will charge more some less for an install, some might even not charge you for it at all if you buy the bike from them.
Those prices are MSRP, that gives the dealer leeway to charge what they want.
It pays to shop around, and find a dealer that will deal on the price.

But its all BS. How many people have more than 1 dealer within 100 miles of them? I'm guessing not many. That makes "shopping around" a bit more difficult unless you have the desire and ability to travel and spend the time doing it. At the same time...................All dealers should be offering the bike at the same MSRP. If they want to discount below that to "earn someone's business" that's fine but I shouldn't be shown a price at the BRP website for a product and be shown a different price (higher price) when I walk into a BRP dealership for the same product. Margins on anything powersports related is low anyway. The dealer profit in units is small and I'd guess that if you have multiple dealers that are all listing the same price on a unit they have only a small amount they can move on price (to earn your business) and still turn a profit. Of course "floor plan" financing and dealer volume plays a role in this but at the end of the day if BRP lists a price for a product on their website as X then the dealer should have the same X price for that product at their dealership.

It's one of the reasons I asked the original question about how the customization order process works and in that original post I said its typically "cheaper and cleaner" to order your unit with the accessories right from the factory. Then there is no "middle man" involvement.

BRP has spent a lot of time talking about the Ryker and how the new generation wants different things than the old generation. Well, the business model is another area the new generation would like to be different. I would venture a guess the younger generation doesn't even want to step foot in a dealership. They want to go online, configure the bike, buy it and have it delivered right to their door. No middle man.

Bob Denman
09-17-2018, 11:24 AM
Within 70 miles: I've got 5
Arctic Adventures
Cycle Motion
Dutchess Recreational
Klinger PowerSports
Rusty Palmers

But it probably is pretty rare... :D

eddieshep999
09-17-2018, 12:52 PM
Within 70 miles: I've got 5
Arctic Adventures
Cycle Motion
Dutchess Recreational
Klinger PowerSports
Rusty Palmers

But it probably is pretty rare... :D

We only have 5 in the whole of the UK

Bob Denman
09-17-2018, 01:12 PM
You can have some of "mine"... :D

Culpjp
09-17-2018, 01:18 PM
I have three within a hundred miles of me. Plus you have Imotorsports that will ship in the U.S. for free, they will even pickup your old one as a trade in.
The sticker price is never what you pay out the door, it's the same with car dealerships. Why I negotiate for the out the door price.
The car places around here will give you one price online and another higher one at the dealership. You only get the online price if you do the whole transaction online.

ARtraveler
09-17-2018, 01:21 PM
Part of the "dicker" factor is:

:ani29:: final price for "packages" of add on's--a thousand or more should receive some kind of discount

:ani29:: Negotiate labor charges for the install.

:ani29:: Add on "setup" and "freight" charges.

It's all between you and your dealer. Some are better than others on the above.

I do have a problem up front with dealers that post a certain price, and then begin to "add" on all kinds of charges. I will not deal with such a place.

Caveat Emptor

Sarge707
09-17-2018, 03:12 PM
My Dealer and the one before him NEVER ever charged me freight or prep- Maybe CT is closer to Canada than Texas? The only dealer I paid Freight and prep from was for a Yamaha WaveBlaster from a Yamaha dealer.

ARtraveler
09-17-2018, 04:50 PM
My Dealer and the one before him NEVER ever charged me freight or prep- Maybe CT is closer to Canada than Texas? The only dealer I paid Freight and prep from was for a Yamaha WaveBlaster from a Yamaha dealer.

Likewise with mine. Dealer prices may vary though. I don't rub it in when someone says they paid MSRP plus set up and freight. They make their deal, and if they are happy...:bowdown:

Leila
09-24-2018, 12:37 PM
I have three within a hundred miles of me. Plus you have Imotorsports that will ship in the U.S. for free, they will even pickup your old one as a trade in.
The sticker price is never what you pay out the door, it's the same with car dealerships. Why I negotiate for the out the door price.
The car places around here will give you one price online and another higher one at the dealership. You only get the online price if you do the whole transaction online.
The panels just pop off and then on with a new color. Want a passenger seat, pop it on or pull it off. Add storage this (http://short.sx/Jxgr). is same way.