PDA

View Full Version : Arm Rests for RT

Caven
09-13-2018, 09:07 AM
Seeking recommendations for a stable, secure arm rest system for the RT. Last weekend I saw two items on bikes at SpyderQuest, (Lake George, NY). Both were insubstantial. One 'tucked away' to a position certain to catch the wind when not being used by the passenger. The other was flimsy and the slightest weight on the 'arm' caused it to wobble and flex.

Any suggestions for a retrofit to help a passenger feel stable and comfortable during a multi-hour ride?

Caven

whiteyron
09-13-2018, 09:29 AM
I had a set of the Rivco arm rests, after trading for a new 2018 RT Limited, I installed the BRP arm rests, my wife loves them, she said they are very comfortable. :ohyea::ohyea:

Chefex
09-13-2018, 09:31 AM
165699Rivco products works great for us

youngers
09-13-2018, 09:36 AM
https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.tk6zGyh8cdiCcuIWvD9GMQHaHa&w=201&h=196&c=7&o=5&pid=1.7 too much , not adjustable ? a pain for the passenger to get on and off ...
https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.Owkxw55gUa91FTgg1tHJ1gHaHa&w=202&h=196&c=7&o=5&pid=1.7these swing out and are some what comfortable , the passenger can get off and on easier ! but the do get loose over a few miles of riding , almost need to have a star washer or compression washer in between the swing point ... -------> pretty easy to install I had one on my last cycle ...

https://youtu.be/7Vibe8ac4vE <-------- this is one shawn smok is putting on an 2018 model , I like the way they flip up and out of the way and look appealing ... ( uhhhh shawn is in comfort Friday attire :roflblack: )

bcer960
09-13-2018, 09:46 AM
I got my wife the BRP ones, she loves them. They are the only ones that swing up, not out, and she feels a lot safer with them.

Ray

Bob Denman
09-13-2018, 09:52 AM
Throw another vote on the pile for the BRP armrests! :thumbup:

Boilermaker
09-13-2018, 10:54 AM
The BRP arm rests shown in the attached video are nice, but do not stay in the flipped-up position when riding. They are only made to flip up so the passenger can mount and dismount more easily. I have them and know this to be true! I suppose that if this was a major issue, you could add a friction washer or some other mechanism to hold them up when riding.

https://youtu.be/7Vibe8ac4vE <-------- this is one shawn smok is putting on an 2018 model , I like the way they flip up and out of the way and look appealing ... ( uhhhh shawn is in comfort Friday attire :roflblack: )[/QUOTE]

DGoebel
09-13-2018, 01:05 PM
Seeking recommendations for a stable, secure arm rest system for the RT. Last weekend I saw two items on bikes at SpyderQuest, (Lake George, NY). Both were insubstantial. One 'tucked away' to a position certain to catch the wind when not being used by the passenger. The other was flimsy and the slightest weight on the 'arm' caused it to wobble and flex.

Any suggestions for a retrofit to help a passenger feel stable and comfortable during a multi-hour ride?

Caven

As others have said, Get the BRP RT Armrests. Mine do stay up when the passenger isn't on. The pivot bolt could be tightened when installed. My wife has now enjoyed thousands of miles with them and has convinced a few others of how solid they are. I weigh 260+ and can put my wight on them and they don't flex.

DGoebel
09-13-2018, 01:08 PM
The BRP arm rests shown in the attached video are nice, but do not stay in the flipped-up position when riding. They are only made to flip up so the passenger can mount and dismount more easily. I have them and know this to be true! I suppose that if this was a major issue, you could add a friction washer or some other mechanism to hold them up when riding.
https://youtu.be/7Vibe8ac4vE <-------- this is one shawn smok is putting on an 2018 model , I like the way they flip up and out of the way and look appealing ... ( uhhhh shawn is in comfort Friday attire :roflblack: )[/QUOTE]

boilermaker, Mine have always stayed in the up position when not in use by my wife, though you'd have to almost fully uninstall them now to correct it, I checked that the pivot bolt was tight enough for me before installing and I've used them for months now, over 8k miles since installed and they stay up all of my Iron Butt rides, even VERY bumpy dirt roads going into the Northwest Angle of MN.

bcer960
09-13-2018, 06:37 PM
I second the fact that mine stay up.

Ray

Boilermaker
09-13-2018, 07:29 PM
boilermaker, Mine have always stayed in the up position when not in use by my wife, though you'd have to almost fully uninstall them now to correct it, I checked that the pivot bolt was tight enough for me before installing and I've used them for months now, over 8k miles since installed and they stay up all of my Iron Butt rides, even VERY bumpy dirt roads going into the Northwest Angle of MN.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. :2thumbs: I figured as much. I am not going to worry about it since it requires disassembly to correct.

vienna7475
09-13-2018, 08:12 PM
I've been researching arm rests as well and here is a set that swings out and is adjustable in height. They are longer than other arm rests and are attached to a bracket that bolts on to existing bolts under the seat. It comes in Black, Chrome and a Spyder Web version. The vendor is https://www.facebook.com/DiamondRAccessories/. Their website is currently under construction. They will be at Maggie Valley in Oct. I can't find the prices I had but know the armrests are under $300.

RidinOn3
09-13-2018, 08:58 PM
I just finished putting a pair of the BRPs on my 2018 RT and the girlfriend likes them and they look like they belong on the bike.

3 Wheel Rider
09-13-2018, 11:58 PM
Another vote for the BRP armrest!!!

Boilermaker
09-14-2018, 06:31 AM
I've been researching arm rests as well and here is a set that swings out and is adjustable in height. They are longer than other arm rests and are attached to a bracket that bolts on to existing bolts under the seat. It comes in Black, Chrome and a Spyder Web version. The vendor is https://www.facebook.com/DiamondRAccessories/. Their website is currently under construction. They will be at Maggie Valley in Oct. I can't find the prices I had but know the armrests are under $300.

Last I heard, these were not available anymore. I wanted some for my last RTS and they were not available then. Hopefully, they will bring them back. I guess you'll find out at Maggie Valley.

Bob Denman
09-14-2018, 06:48 AM
I had the Diamnod-R passenger armrests on my 2010 RT. They were (by Far!!); the best of the swing-out types! :2thumbs:

wilpir
09-14-2018, 07:17 AM
I second the fact that mine stay up.

Ray Too easy! :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

bcer960
09-14-2018, 07:44 PM
Too easy! :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

No pills required........

Motorcycledave
09-14-2018, 09:24 PM
I have the Rivco & Big Bike units they are hi qualityl well made HOWEVER....
they swing out NOT UP, the only armrests that swing up WERE made by ISCI
and only for the GS-RS-RSS-ST. so the 2 above are the only ones out there
I have seen people modify them to lock in place.
Call me if yo want more info
209-887-3283
Email motorcycledave@mac.com
Ride Safe
Dave

Caven

meerkat
09-15-2018, 01:54 PM
Take a look at the Corbin . I have them on my 2018 , which came off my 2017 . They are well paded and have a cup holder intergrated . I like them . Meerkat:yes::yes:

Mikey
09-15-2018, 04:59 PM
Cobins work great on mine!! Wife loves them:bowdown:

ThreeWheels
09-15-2018, 07:06 PM
OK, OK, I'm convinced.
BRP armrests it is.......................
What's the best place to get the best price ?

donsspyder
09-15-2018, 07:24 PM
I have a set of Diamond R Armrest that i will sell for 125.00 they have the cup holder and a pocket for a cell phone on them . They came of a 2014 R T L. Just like new. If interested call me @ 1 607 4323069 Donald Harvey Oneonta New York

bcer960
09-15-2018, 08:00 PM
OK, OK, I'm convinced.
BRP armrests it is.......................
What's the best place to get the best price ?

Depends on your relationship with your dealer, mine gave me 20% off the list.....

Caven
09-16-2018, 11:49 AM
I have a set of Diamond R Armrest that i will sell for 125.00 they have the cup holder and a pocket for a cell phone on them . They came of a 2014 R T L. Just like new. If interested call me @ 1 607 4323069 Donald Harvey Oneonta New York

... Don, Great talking to you, and congratulations on getting two bikes into your family. My money to you is on its way.

Caven

woods
09-16-2018, 07:58 PM
I'm only seeing armrest's for F-3 in catalogue,are these the one's you are all using on the RT's?Heated grips still accessible?

cheska
09-16-2018, 08:39 PM
We have diamond R easy to install, seem sturdy enough as wife puts her weight on them to get on and off. Yes you can get to all
heating controls and we have a bottle holder attached also. But I have never realyy looked at the other versions. Bob

bcer960
09-16-2018, 08:59 PM
I'm only seeing armrest's for F-3 in catalogue,are these the one's you are all using on the RT's?Heated grips still accessible?

by which manufacturer??

bcer960
09-16-2018, 09:15 PM
https://www.brp.ca/on-road/shop/accessories-more-way-to-shop/must_haves/rt-passenger-armrests.html

woods
09-23-2018, 09:46 AM
Was looking in BRP accs catalogue.Thanks for the link!

GaryinWI
09-24-2018, 09:54 PM
https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.tk6zGyh8cdiCcuIWvD9GMQHaHa&w=201&h=196&c=7&o=5&pid=1.7 too much , not adjustable ? a pain for the passenger to get on and off ...
https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.Owkxw55gUa91FTgg1tHJ1gHaHa&w=202&h=196&c=7&o=5&pid=1.7these swing out and are some what comfortable , the passenger can get off and on easier ! but the do get loose over a few miles of riding , almost need to have a star washer or compression washer in between the swing point ... -------> pretty easy to install I had one on my last cycle ...

https://youtu.be/7Vibe8ac4vE <-------- this is one shawn smok is putting on an 2018 model , I like the way they flip up and out of the way and look appealing ... ( uhhhh shawn is in comfort Friday attire :roflblack: )i have them also. For one up riding they can be folded in and hardly know they’re there. Or one bolt on each side and they are removed.

Tenic
09-25-2018, 01:36 AM
I'm a new Spyder owner 2018 RTL. I installed the Can Am arm rest and they look great, and the wife likes them. I don't know if they stay up when I'm riding alone, but why is that important? Am I missing something?

Rick

3 Wheel Rider
09-25-2018, 06:55 AM
I'm a new Spyder owner 2018 RTL. I installed the Can Am arm rest and they look great, and the wife likes them. I don't know if they stay up when I'm riding alone, but why is that important? Am I missing something?

Rick
No, you're not missing anything and it's not important. Other than when my passenger is getting on the Spyder, mine stay in the lowered position all the time. There may be a need to have them flipped up on a winter ride so your passenger can reach the heated grips. If they were installed correctly, they should stay up.

bikerbillone
09-25-2018, 07:08 AM
boilermaker, Mine have always stayed in the up position when not in use by my wife, though you'd have to almost fully uninstall them now to correct it, I checked that the pivot bolt was tight enough for me before installing and I've used them for months now, over 8k miles since installed and they stay up all of my Iron Butt rides, even VERY bumpy dirt roads going into the Northwest Angle of MN.

Thanks for the info. :2thumbs: I figured as much. I am not going to worry about it since it requires disassembly to correct.[/QUOTE

What captured my interest here is the iron butt ride on the Spyder. Can you elaborate, you were riding the RT, F3? Not to hijack the thread, so if you want to start a new thread or just PM me. Thanks.