PDA

View Full Version : Will the Ryker price hurt resale of 998 models?

Indiana Ken
09-11-2018, 05:32 PM
OK the Ryker is new, and I think Can AM needed a entry level bike. Having a 2012 RT with the 998 engine, I was wondering if the resale value (say 10 to 12k) for the RT, do folks think that price is high now that you can get a brand new Ryker for around 10K.
I know there are a ton of differences between the bikes, but was just wondering everyones thoughts.
i do not plan to get rid of my RT, I love it.

UtahPete
09-11-2018, 05:37 PM
OK the Ryker is new, and I think Can AM needed a entry level bike. Having a 2012 RT with the 998 engine, I was wondering if the resale value (say 10 to 12k) for the RT, do folks think that price is high now that you can get a brand new Ryker for around 10K. I know there are a ton of differences between the bikes, but was just wondering everyones thoughts. i do not plan to get rid of my RT, I love it.
I don't believe so, for the myriad reasons that have been expounded upon in other Ryker-related threads.

Firefly
09-11-2018, 07:10 PM
Yup.. it's going to lower the resale value for sure... just like the $3000 - $5000 rebate deals BRP does on overstocked models from a year ago does.
My dealer told me those rebates absolutly kill trade in and resale values.

Culpjp
09-19-2018, 11:38 AM
It will depend on the rider. If you're just wanting to get into a Spyder and aren't looking for a specific model. Then you might not want to spend 12k for a used one versus a new one for cheaper. If you're only wanting a specific model then it won't matter what the Ryker, costs compared to a RT or F3. It's not what you're looking for. The new lower MSRP I think will hurt the resale values. They do with cars also.

PMK
09-19-2018, 11:57 AM
Honestly, I do not know and time will tell.

While the Ryker is new, and sparkly with obvious easy financing, those bikes are not for everyone. Saying that, I believe that once the novelty wears away, having a gearbox, and storage may prove to be king.

If anything, consider how serious was the loss in value when the 14s arrived with the 1330 triple. That will maybe be a greater strike than the Ryker. That said, it is now the fifth year for the 1330, and things are likely stabilized.

I learned yesterday that my 16 year old nephew, who was already offered a job in the computer field at $150,000 per year start salary, does not know how to ride a bicycle, and has no intentions to learn. Sadly, this may be the millenials BRP targeted.

DGoebel
09-19-2018, 12:31 PM
"My Dealer told me" Thanks for the belly laugh.... I wonder how many "truths" started with that phrase.

My Dealer told me you could only run Kenda's on spyders, other tires were unsafe.

My Dealer told me you could only use BRP oil in spyders.......

My Dealer told me the 2018 dash was a MAJOR improvement and worked fine.

Sorry firefly, just couldn't resist.

ARtraveler
09-19-2018, 02:29 PM
I have had a "pristine" 2011 RT A & C for sale over the last three years. I started at $12,500 and it is currently at $10,500. No takers--and the last price was offered a year before the Ryker.

I am guessing $1K to $2K less would now be the selling price. One glitch--I am up here in AK, digging in the cold, cold, ground. :roflblack:

I may try again when we move to the lower 48--but for now--the used market here--sucks. Most dealers take the NADA or KBB wholesale price of the Spyder and discount it an additional 20%. They say--that is just the way it is. I am paid for, free and clear, so I can wait it out. Don't need the latest and greatest. Linda is happy with what she has.

The same pattern seems to appear in the for sale threads. There are a few who have done better--but the majority remain unsold at prices that were considered (normal) just a couple months ago.

Sarge707
09-19-2018, 05:13 PM
I have had a "pristine" 2011 RT A & C for sale over the last three years. I started at $12,500 and it is currently at $10,500. No takers--and the last price was offered a year before the Ryker.

I am guessing $1K to $2K less would now be the selling price. One glitch--I am up here in AK, digging in the cold, cold, ground. :roflblack:

I may try again when we move to the lower 48--but for now--the used market here--sucks. Most dealers take the NADA or KBB wholesale price and discount it an additional 20%. They say--that is just the way it is. I am paid for, free and clear, so I can wait it out. Don't need the latest and greatest. Linda is happy with what she has.

The same pattern seems to appear in the for sale threads. There are a few who have done better--but the majority remain unsold at prices that were considered (normal) just a couple months ago.

Don't feel bad- I had to let my 2012 Base Model sm5 go for $8,600 a year ago But I got tired of paying insurance and Property tax on both.

Bob Denman
09-19-2018, 05:22 PM
It's aimed at a different portion of the marketplace: I think that it's affect will be minor. nojoke
Folks that are new to the Sport (It's primary target); will always be more likely to buy a new vehicle with a warranty.
998 owners should all just stick to their prices: the right person will always come along! :thumbup:

Chupaca
09-19-2018, 06:17 PM
It will not hurt your re-sale value, though potencial buyers will use it to try and get you down, but it will greatly reduce your buyer pool. Those that love the twin and the style of the original will still be out there looking. I for one will if mine should go before I do...:thumbup:

r1100rider
09-20-2018, 09:24 AM
Don't feel bad- I had to let my 2012 Base Model sm5 go for $8,600 a year ago But I got tired of paying insurance and Property tax on both.
You have to pay property tax on a motor vehicle?

r1100rider
09-20-2018, 09:27 AM
Yup.. it's going to lower the resale value for sure... just like the $3000 - $5000 rebate deals BRP does on overstocked models from a year ago does.
I agree I'm in retail and when you try to get nearly new prices for used it's a very tough sale no matter what extras the used product has

asp125
09-20-2018, 09:44 AM
Little if any effect on the 998's IMO. Apples to oranges, the Ryker is sufficiently different enough; like comparing a Honda Shadow to a Goldwing. The intended target market is different. What may be affected though, is the resale value of used Rykers. When the entry price is low enough for folks to buy in new, used bikes are likely to get a pass.

Sarge707
09-20-2018, 09:55 AM

70% of the OCT NADA value Towns use times your Mill Rate- About $240 the last year on the 2012 RT.

TRBorslien
09-20-2018, 10:34 AM

Sometimes called personal property tax or luxury tax.

If you are paying more than twenty or thirty dollars per year for registration, you are probably paying property tax. This is (or was) deductible on your federal 1040 if you can determine how much of the registration is fee and how much is property tax.

ARtraveler
09-20-2018, 02:57 PM
Going back to the OP question...

We are comparing apples with oranges...UNLESS...price becomes a deciding factor...

Then...

Do I want a NEW Ryker, or should I accept a used Spyder Product??

The Spyders are not quite as "bare bones" as the Ryker. The under $10K market is pretty much covered when you consider Used Spyder and New Ryker.

I believe there was ONE 2008 advertised and sold for $5500. At this point--the lowest used Spyder price I can recall.

:bbq::bbq:

4 MARIE
09-20-2018, 10:52 PM

well we pay personal property tax here on our vehicles. The newer they are, the more you pay.
It's a suckin' heck of a deal huh? Which is why there are so many "bombers" out there.

r1100rider
09-20-2018, 10:53 PM
70% of the OCT NADA value Towns use times your Mill Rate- About $240 the last year on the 2012 RT.
I would be had I have a pile of vehicles

Dubliner
09-21-2018, 03:35 AM
I live in BC and the price you quote is a steal however that is $13,550 cad plus $1626 tax plus what ever else they might ask makes it close to $15200. So for me it’s a no brainer and it comes with a warranty

I may try again when we move to the lower 48--but for now--the used market here--sucks. Most dealers take the NADA or KBB wholesale price of the Spyder and discount it an additional 20%. They say--that is just the way it is. I am paid for, free and clear, so I can wait it out. Don't need the latest and greatest. Linda is happy with what she has.

Firefly
09-21-2018, 09:48 AM
"My Dealer told me" Thanks for the belly laugh.... I wonder how many "truths" started with that phrase.

My Dealer told me you could only run Kenda's on spyders, other tires were unsafe.

My Dealer told me you could only use BRP oil in spyders.......

My Dealer told me the 2018 dash was a MAJOR improvement and worked fine.

Sorry firefly, just couldn't resist.

In this particular instance the dealer is correct. The salesman is a friend of mine and is just a straight shooter. The data backs up what he's saying. Right now BRP is offering up to $5,500 rebates on 2016-17-18 models.
2017 F3 base models can be had for under $10k.... I know this for a fact :doorag:

So why would someone by a used 2009 GS for $8,000 when they can get a brand new F3 base with warranty for $10,000?

Same logic will apply to new Spyder shoppers... why would they pay $7,000 for a used GS or RS when they can get a brand new Ryker for under $10K new with warranty?

This will drop the retail value of older models by thousands. You will see used 2008 and 2009 GS models for under $5,000 within a few years.

The Ryker might be a different machine, but to a new rider they may not care about the differences so much.

Trade-in values will be down as well. The dealers simply can't give you much on a trade with those huge rebates from BRP every year that they use to unload overstock previous year models.

Bob Denman
09-21-2018, 10:01 AM
Yoiu're only looking at the "Dollar side of the equation".
We all know that there are other tangible aspects that come into play... :thumbup:

Trbayth
09-21-2018, 10:18 AM
Trade-in values will be down as well. The dealers simply can't give you much on a trade with those huge rebates from BRP every year that they use to unload overstock previous year models.

The thinking is that with the reduced prices on RT's and F3's you won't see nearly as many huge rebates, if any. Sales volume will tell.

asp125
09-21-2018, 12:46 PM
For that segment of shoppers that only look at dollars, there might be some bleed off towards a new Ryker, but motorcycling is about personal tastes and styles. For instance I would sooner choose a used ST over a base Ryker, because I like the frunk and sidebags, the two up seat, more power; stuff that isn't available in a Ryker without adding more options and money - at which point the economic argument goes out the window.

gg194
09-21-2018, 07:01 PM
Would think the price cuts on the 19's and discounts on the 18's would effect resale much more than the Ryker.

delkhouri
09-21-2018, 08:55 PM
I think it will hurt the price of the 998 models..... I know that as someone who doesn't own a Spyder/Ryker but really wants to, Id much rather spend 10k on a new machine (ryker) than a RS/RSS/ST with a 998. With any reasearch at all the overwhelming recommendation on the internet and this site is to avoid the 998 and get the 1330 spyders. The 1330 is more fuel efficient, has more power, has less maintenance, and is arguably more reliable.

With the 600/900 ace engines you will likely get even better fuel economy and from uses in other platforms the engines are "bulletproof". You also get the shaft drive and easier to do yourself maintenance and easy to move handlebars and foot pegs.

The reasons not to get a Ryker will be:
You want/need more HP
You want/need a sport bike riding style
You want/need to do long tours
You want/need to ride a lot of two-up
You want/need lots of storage options

Unless you want/need any of those and you have a limited budget you will be shopping the ryker and not a used 998 spyder. For me as someone with a limited budget, who will be riding one-up, likes to do some maintenance, thinks 77hp will be enough, and likes the idea of a warranty ryker is a no-brainer. All this is pending a test ryde of course.

nchangin
11-21-2018, 11:02 AM
Hello I know it's an old thread, but what about buyer options? Bank will approve a 2019 Ryker at MSRP vs anything used more than 3 years old (won't be approved) due to value of collateral.

jcthorne
11-21-2018, 11:31 AM
Hello I know it's an old thread, but what about buyer options? Bank will approve a 2019 Ryker at MSRP vs anything used more than 3 years old (won't be approved) due to value of collateral.

That is not true. Many banks loan on vehicles up to 10 yrs old. Some any age with a verified value. You can even get loans on classic cars if your credit is good.

nchangin
11-21-2018, 12:37 PM
I agree, however with a high rate. No 0 to 1.9 rates for 10 year old vehicles. No way if so point me the way to that finance co. To a model that's going to show way more depreciation, and that's not even bringing into the cost of ownership for spyder vs Ryker? That classic car loan with good credit still going to be

2019 Ryker? more financing, more approvals, more sales.

Sarge707
11-21-2018, 01:04 PM

As of this month Sheffield will approve Ryker for full amount at 4.5 for 3 Years OR Much higher for 5-7? FICO must be over 720 Tier 1.

donhy
11-21-2018, 02:12 PM
I think it will hurt the price of the 998 models..... I know that as someone who doesn't own a Spyder/Ryker but really wants to, Id much rather spend 10k on a new machine (ryker) than a RS/RSS/ST with a 998. With any reasearch at all the overwhelming recommendation on the internet and this site is to avoid the 998 and get the 1330 spyders. The 1330 is more fuel efficient, has more power, has less maintenance, and is arguably more reliable.

With the 600/900 ace engines you will likely get even better fuel economy and from uses in other platforms the engines are "bulletproof". You also get the shaft drive and easier to do yourself maintenance and easy to move handlebars and foot pegs.

The reasons not to get a Ryker will be:
You want/need more HP
You want/need a sport bike riding style
You want/need to do long tours
You want/need to ride a lot of two-up
You want/need lots of storage options

Unless you want/need any of those and you have a limited budget you will be shopping the ryker and not a used 998 spyder. For me as someone with a limited budget, who will be riding one-up, likes to do some maintenance, thinks 77hp will be enough, and likes the idea of a warranty ryker is a no-brainer. All this is pending a test ryde of course.

There are lot of people like me who would not want anything else but RS/RSS/ST. I don't see myself touring on a Ryker and neither would I want to ride RT around town so for me RS fits the bill. From all the research I've done and people I know who put lot of miles on 998 they are bullet proof engines, what maybe less reliable is electronics and other parts which I don't see that being any different on 1330. So there will always be a market for all models. Yes I can afford an F3/RT but you will probably never see me riding anything but an RS.

ARtraveler
11-21-2018, 02:26 PM
Lot's of very good points about resale value, financing, etc. Time will tell. A year from now most of us will have a better handle on the situation. :yes:

Rob Rodriguez
11-21-2018, 03:16 PM
There are lot of people like me who would not want anything else but RS/RSS/ST. I don't see myself touring on a Ryker and neither would I want to ride RT around town so for me RS fits the bill. From all the research I've done and people I know who put lot of miles on 998 they are bullet proof engines, what maybe less reliable is electronics and other parts which I don't see that being any different on 1330. So there will always be a market for all models. Yes I can afford an F3/RT but you will probably never see me riding anything but an RS.

I can identify with this. The RT and F3 aren't for me. I currently own an RS and it fits me perfect. But........BRP doesn't make the RS anymore and I don't believe they ever will again. While its nice to say you will only own an RS the reality is that's not realistic. At some point you will need to get a new bike. Or at least that's my opinion of my situation. I like the Ryker....or I think i do. I need to sit on one and ride one to know for sure. If I can find a decent sitting/riding position on the Ryker and there is enough power in the 900 then I'll most likely buy one. If not I'll keep the RS until BRP builds a bike with similar ergos or just run it until its dead. Personally I like to keep my "stuff" on the newer side with warranty. BRP is making that difficult for us RS lovers :)

On the flip side. I think the Spyder line or Can-Am on road line is in trouble. After talking with some dealers and hearing some things on this forum I question how much longer BRP will be producing "Spyders" if the Ryker isn't a HUGE success. I think BRP has bet the "on road" farm on the Ryker. If it fails to be a big seller I think you'll see the end of the "on road" segment in a couple years?

ARtraveler
11-21-2018, 03:22 PM
Many people have been thinking along similar lines. I do hope they are wrong. :popcorn:

jcthorne
11-21-2018, 03:37 PM
You cannot buy a house at 1.9 either. Those rates are subsidised to sell new vehicles. 4 to 5 percent is more normal and readily available for used vehicles with known value and good credit. I really do not understand what your point is here. If you want a Ryker, no one is trying to talk you out of it.

MikeT
11-21-2018, 04:52 PM

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand the negative economic impact that occurs every year @the end of the riding season by BRP. My worry is that this will continue thru 2019 and beyond because of their across the board adjusted price structure for all Spyders
Mike

Cobwebs
11-21-2018, 05:07 PM
These days each new successive model in most everything is an improvement on the last in some way.This makes the older models less desirable and people expect a bargain to convince them to buy it.If updates were kept to a minimum(not going to happen) like in the past your used Spyder would retain better value.Better to buy with the aim to keep for say ten years then whatever you can sell it for is your bonus the rest is written off as the price of entry to the field.I think you'll find Ryker sellers bitching about the crap resale values in two or three years time too if it's any comfort.

Sarge707
11-21-2018, 05:32 PM
These days each new successive model in most everything is an improvement on the last in some way.This makes the older models less desirable and people expect a bargain to convince them to buy it.If updates were kept to a minimum(not going to happen) like in the past your used Spyder would retain better value.Better to buy with the aim to keep for say ten years then whatever you can sell it for is your bonus the rest is written off as the price of entry to the field.I think you'll find Ryker sellers bitching about the crap resale values in two or three years time too if it's any comfort.
Yes- Buying a Ryker is not a great investment Unless you find you love to drive it and plan on keeping it several years. I expect it to go from $10,000 to about $6-6500 in 2 years and maybe less for trade-in? But for New riders the investment isn't that great.

Rob Rodriguez
11-21-2018, 07:12 PM
Yes- Buying a Ryker is not a great investment Unless you find you love to drive it and plan on keeping it several years. I expect it to go from $10,000 to about $6-6500 in 2 years and maybe less for trade-in? But for New riders the investment isn't that great.

Anything that's a "toy" is not an investment. :) Sleds, ATV's watercraft, boats. They are all a waste of money. Whenever I buy this kind of stuff I look at as I'm spending X amount that I'll never get back. You get some back on resale but none of it is guaranteed and is highly dependent on the market at that time. I think that's part of the problem with sales. People are reluctant to spend too much money with no real good gauge of what it might be worth later. Cars are a waste of money as well but their value is pretty well predicted. You buy a car today, you have a pretty good idea what its worth in 3 years. Values follow book pretty closely. That's not really true for powersport items.

delkhouri
06-04-2019, 10:43 PM
I almost started a thread on this but I found this one it the catacombs.

Now that the ryker has been out a few months, has it hurt the sales of used spyders? There is a dealer not too far away from me that has a 2012 RS se5 with 5K miles on it for $8.5. Which got me thinking, if I had $8.5k to spend would i get that RS or a Ryker 600. Which I guess is a good thing that I don't have $8.5k to spend because I honestly don't know which direction I would go.

dpetrick
06-05-2019, 10:02 AM
Buying a Spyder or any other power sports toy is an investment in my enjoyment. Having fun makes it worthwhile.