PDA

View Full Version : Car tires vs insurance coverage.

Eckhard
09-11-2018, 09:10 AM
Has anyone been refused insurance benefits/payout because of their use of car tires?

fjray
09-11-2018, 09:18 AM
Has anyone been refused insurance benefits/payout because of their use of car tires?
As long as it is a DOT approved tire there is no problem. :popcorn:

Bob Denman
09-11-2018, 09:23 AM
:agree: This isn't an issue; nor will it ever become one! nojoke

UtahPete
09-11-2018, 10:16 AM
This is an excellent rhetorical question.

Chupaca
09-11-2018, 12:02 PM
It would only come into question if it is a tire failure and then it would be the tire company but otherwise there is no problem. :thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-11-2018, 12:36 PM
It would only come into question if it is a tire failure and then it would be the tire company but otherwise there is no problem. :thumbup:
:agree: …..plus the Spyders have " J " type rims ( this is a fact not an opinion ) and Auto tires have " J " type beads...…. Mike :thumbup:

hillbillywhisperer
09-11-2018, 01:34 PM
No. That simple.

canamjhb
09-11-2018, 02:11 PM
I think Perry Mason would have a better chance of winning a case against BRP for selling us tires that are so poorly made that they are unacceptable on ANY vehicle except our Spyders.

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-11-2018, 02:17 PM
I think Perry Mason would have a better chance of winning a case against BRP for selling us tires that are so poorly made that they are unacceptable on ANY vehicle except our Spyders.
:agree: ….. annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd if the insurance people claimed they ARN'T Motorcycle tires on a motorcycle ( ie Spyder )…..welllllllllllll neither are the KENDA's …………….. no where on a Kenda does it state IT is a Motorcycle tire, I've checked some !!!!!.....:thumbup:

IdahoMtnSpyder
09-11-2018, 05:19 PM
no where on a Kenda does it state IT is a Motorcycle tire, I've checked some !!!!!.....:thumbup:
But there is a reference to motorcycle on the tire.

165625 165626

"For special motorcycle use only"

"MC 225/50R15"

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-11-2018, 05:28 PM

165625 165626

"MC 225/50R15"
That's all it is …..A REFERENCE ….. not a statement of FACT ….. If you want to believe it's a genuine certified motorcycle tire be my guest ……Question - why didn't they just say " Motorcycle tire " ….. why all the rest of the verbiage … to me RED FLAGS are popping up all over the place ….. Mike :thumbup:

Peter Aawen
09-11-2018, 05:35 PM
Idaho, neither of those 'motorcycle references' on the Spyder's OE Spec Kendas are recognised as being an exclusive requirement by any Tire & Rim Assoc or National Tire Regulator that I've found.... :dontknow: However, the bits on the OE Spec Kenda sidewalls & the Spyder's tire Placard that ARE recognised by those bodies all hark back to them being & requiring Passenger Car Tires. ;)

UtahPete
09-11-2018, 05:41 PM
That's all it is …..A REFERENCE ….. not a statement of FACT ….. If you want to believe it's a genuine certified motorcycle tire be my guest ……Question - why didn't they just say " Motorcycle tire " ….. why all the rest of the verbiage … to me RED fags are popping up all over the place ….. Mike :thumbup:
Definitely not P.C., dude. RED fags?

IdahoMtnSpyder
09-11-2018, 06:13 PM
That's all it is …..A REFERENCE ….. not a statement of FACT ….. If you want to believe it's a genuine certified motorcycle tire be my guest ……Question - why didn't they just say " Motorcycle tire " ….. why all the rest of the verbiage … to me RED fags are popping up all over the place ….. Mike :thumbup:
That's why "special" is included, to differentiate them from the normal motorcycle tire design and make it clear they are not intended to be used on passenger cars.

In the size label the "M", or maybe the "MC" means motorcycle tire. If it was intended for passenger car use the first letter would be "P". From what I find the second letter is a code for width, but I can't find "C" specifically defined.

UtahPete
09-11-2018, 06:19 PM
[QUOTE=UtahPete;1390989]Definitely not P.C., dude. ................... RED " FLAGS "knowing YOU and most of your comments … not perceiving this as a TYPO ….doesn't surprise me …………….jmho …… Mike
It was meant as comic relief, Mike.

BajaRon
09-11-2018, 06:21 PM

165625 165626

"MC 225/50R15"

A person would be a fool to put this Kenda tire on an actual motorcycle. Though the Spyder is classified as a motorcycle in most states. That does not make it a 'motorcycle'. It's just a pigeonhole for taxing, registering, etc. The Spyder does not handle or function as a true motorcycle will, nor does it run motorcycle tires. As stated ad nauseam. The Kenda's are car tires that are too weak to safely run on anything heavier than a Spyder.

It's all a matter of semantics. But factually, the Spyder has more in common with a car than it does a motorcycle when it comes to suspension, steering and tires.

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-11-2018, 06:22 PM
Definitely not P.C., dude. RED fags? Here's a news flash … you are probably the only person on this Forum who didn't see that for what it was ….. A TYPO ….. but I'm not really surprised

UtahPete
09-11-2018, 06:25 PM
Here's a news flash … you are probably the only person on this Forum who didn't see that for what it was ….. A TYPO ….. but I'm not really surprised
I did see it as a typo. It just hit my funny bone is all.

IdahoMtnSpyder
09-11-2018, 06:48 PM
Idaho, neither of those 'motorcycle references' on the Spyder's OE Spec Kendas are recognised as being an exclusive requirement by any Tire & Rim Assoc or National Tire Regulator that I've found.... :dontknow: However, the bits on the OE Spec Kenda sidewalls & the Spyder's tire Placard that ARE recognised by those bodies all hark back to them being & requiring Passenger Car Tires. ;)
Do you have a copy of the TRA yearbook? Is that what you are referring to? If so, is there some provision in it that permits tire manufacturers to create a custom code? Is MC a code that Kenda created to identify the tires they make for the Spyder? I found references to "MT" motorcycle tire designation as the prefix for the tire size label. In that case the "T" means 5.00 to 5.50 width.

I found some pics of tires for the Slingshot. They are Kenda Radials. There is no prefix on the tire size designation, but "SlingShot" or "SS" is embossed on the side of the tire. That is a pretty clear indicator, I think, that they are intended to be used on the SS. There must be something different about them compared to usual passenger car tires. I wonder what it is. Maybe number of plies and sidewall strength, like the Spyder tire. I did not find any images of the tire placard for the SlingShot.

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-11-2018, 08:31 PM
I did see it as a typo. It just hit my funny bone is all.
There was ….NOTHING … in your response post that indicated it was meant to be funny …..but that doesn't surprise me either !!!!