PDA

View Full Version : Wife learning to drive Spyder

ned64
09-10-2018, 07:39 PM
It was inevitable. Wife all ways been on the back seat but today she decided that it was time to lean to drive my Spyder. She put on her gear an got in the driver's seat. I told her how to start, put in gear, shift without letting off the gas an she took off for about an hour practicing. I went to town an got the new tag for the plate that just expired while she went out on her quest to become a Spyder driver. Told her it be easier than riding her Yamaha 650 classic. When she finally finished an brought my sweet 17 RTL home she was happy an smiling. She just better not getting any ideas of putting flower decals an pink things on it or there going be trouble.

al0vely
09-10-2018, 07:45 PM
It was inevitable. Wife all ways been on the back seat but today she decided that it was time to lean to drive my Spyder. She put on her gear an got in the driver's seat. I told her how to start, put in gear, shift without letting off the gas an she took off for about an hour practicing. I went to town an got the new tag for the plate that just expired while she went out on her quest to become a Spyder driver. Told her it be easier than riding her Yamaha 650 classic. When she finally finished an brought my sweet 17 RTL home she was happy an smiling. She just better not getting any ideas of putting flower decals an pink things on it or there going be trouble.

After test driving a RTS for a couple of hours in 2016 I knew My Yamaha V-Star 650 was history for me. I kept it for a year after buying an F3L but never rode it again and sold it with no regrets.

Floridian2017
09-10-2018, 08:05 PM
She can put the magnetic ones....lol:clap:

IdahoMtnSpyder
09-10-2018, 11:31 PM
She just better not getting any ideas of putting flower decals an pink things on it or there going be trouble.
Let her put them on the new Ryker you're going to buy her! :ohyea: You're done for now, dude! :roflblack:

BryanSD
09-10-2018, 11:44 PM
My wife and I took motorcycle lessons together and bought a 2017 RT Limited to share. Looks like we're leaning toward a second Spyder. Until we do get a second, I actually don't mind taking turns when the wife drives and I'm the passenger. We ride with a large group of Harley Davidson riders and one or two may give me a look of disgust from time to time but they've never said a word in front of me (or my wife). Meanwhile, I've scored points with my wife on the bike and off the bike... and honestly I enjoy relaxing back there and seeing the world in a 360 view (something you can't do when driving). Plus, I know my wife's limit is only about an hour of driving...giving me the next couple hour to be back in the driver seat!

Shadowkast
09-11-2018, 03:35 PM
That's why I signed the wife up to do the rider's course with me. I really do hope she enjoys the machine and feels comfortable taking it out on her own. I do want her to test ride a ryker though afterwards. Maybe she'd be a bit more confident on something smaller?

WA5VHU
09-11-2018, 08:17 PM
Me too, get the armrests and you can doze off while she chauffeurs you around. Works good for me.

My wife and I took motorcycle lessons together and bought a 2017 RT Limited to share. Looks like we're leaning toward a second Spyder. Until we do get a second, I actually don't mind taking turns when the wife drives and I'm the passenger. We ride with a large group of Harley Davidson riders and one or two may give me a look of disgust from time to time but they've never said a word in front of me (or my wife). Meanwhile, I've scored points with my wife on the bike and off the bike... and honestly I enjoy relaxing back there and seeing the world in a 360 view (something you can't do when driving). Plus, I know my wife's limit is only about an hour of driving...giving me the next couple hour to be back in the driver seat!

robhowen
09-11-2018, 09:53 PM
Looks like you need a 2nd Spyder or Ryker!
Rob

ned64
09-12-2018, 10:22 AM
All good ideas. Wife probably ride it to work mostly an I still drive us out on the road. Have to see how that goes. Arm rests for the passenger I've been thinking about them for quite awhile. I'm Not going to tell her about removeable decals. I'd be in a hurry and would miss making sure she had removed all of them an then after riding, wiping the dust off I'd find one of those pink girly decals on the back.

ARtraveler
09-12-2018, 10:58 AM
I see another two :spyder2: family happening.

Shadowkast
09-12-2018, 11:31 AM
All good ideas. Wife probably ride it to work mostly an I still drive us out on the road. Have to see how that goes. Arm rests for the passenger I've been thinking about them for quite awhile..

I have the sane hope as well. Sure I'll take it to work at times also but she has a 4 mile drive to work vs my 50 mile commute

easysuper
09-12-2018, 11:49 AM
My wife thought it would be a good Idea to get her endorsement so if I got sick or hurt when we were touring she could ride the spyder home or at-least take care of storing it. After she started riding by herself she went out and bought her own RTL and her very first year of riding she rode almost 35,000 miles . She had never riding by herself on any bike and fell in love with riding. We have toured most of the Western States and after I retire this December we will finish the rest of the lower 48. The one down side is now everything cost double but we are have fun while we still can .
Happy riding

PrairieSpyder
09-13-2018, 07:42 AM
I see another two :spyder2: family happening.

:agree::agree:

Bubalub
09-13-2018, 08:52 AM
After about 2 weeks of me having my Spyder my wife wanted to take it out for a quick spin in out sub-division. Since it is all private roads with an 18 mph speed limit I said sure and showed her how to start, shift and all the good stuff on my 16 F-3T. My bad. She came home and loved it so much her first response to me was, when can I take the class to get my license. She took the class about 2 weeks later and called me at lunch of day 1 and said she wanted an RT and I needed to start looking. She now has a 2016 RTL (which by the way is wrapped in a Pink Bling wrap from World Class) and she loves it. I don't think I would ride nearly as much as we do together. Well worth the investment and now we are talking about getting rid of one of our two cars.