PDA

View Full Version : Rain gear...

effgjamis
06-06-2009, 04:22 AM
I burnt a hole in my Frogg Toggs, well the muffler did..

I was wondering if any of you spyderlovers know or have a good rain suit.. I think I would like the one piece if they are available.

thanks in advance.

Forrest

spydsense
06-06-2009, 04:56 AM
I like my Frogg Toggs, I would get another set.

dltang
06-06-2009, 06:54 AM
First of all Forrest how did you burn hole in your Frogg Toggs on your muffler? Where are your legs that they are that close to the muffler while you ride.

Second, I have a set of Frogg Toggs and the TourMaster Defender Rain Suit. I like the Frogg Toggs, they are lightweight and very cool very riding in hot weather, unfortunately the zipper on the jacket broke early on and will not stay zipped. With the defender, if it is warm out my pants get way too hot. While the Jacket is vented the pants are lined with rubber. So what this all boils down to is this: If we get rained on while on our trip out west, I will not have a matching rain suit. I am taking the Frogg Toggs bottoms, blue and the TourMaster Jacket Red as my suit. I will stay the driest and the coolest in the heat with this combination. I do like the TourMaster on cooler days though, as they block out the wind and give extra warmth. In the heat the Frogg Toggs are definitely the way to go.

jnt
06-06-2009, 12:37 PM
We have Roadcrafter suits from Aerostich in Duluth, MN. Wear them all the time (except when the temps are above 95). Gore-Tex, so all we add are rain gloves when it's raining. Have ridden in many downpours, including W's maiden Ryde to Duluth last year, and stay bone-dry inside. With all the vents, they are great on the road to at least 90. And down to 20 (my lowest regular commuting temp) with appropriate liners.

jedd
06-06-2009, 07:01 PM
I have the Can-Am rainsuit love it, I was new to sport and stuck with dealer OEM stuff but it is great. However a one-piece would be nice.

effgjamis
06-06-2009, 08:13 PM
First of all Forrest how did you burn hole in your Frogg Toggs on your muffler? Where are your legs that they are that close to the muffler while you ride.

Was not moving when burned hole in Toggs... was on the side of the road doing the wiggle to get them on before I got drowned...:yikes:

VIspyderman
06-06-2009, 09:16 PM
Was not moving when burned hole in Toggs... was on the side of the road doing the wiggle to get them on before I got drowned...:yikes:
Hey Forrest, are you bringing your trailer to LA? What size shirts do you wear? I've got to pack raingear because I'm from British Columbia where it rains all the time, so I won't have room to pack any clothes. I just figured that as we'll be room mates, I'd wear your clothes. :2excited::roflblack::thumbup::yes:

jodeg1945
06-06-2009, 10:06 PM
You might call FroggTogg and see what the warranty is. Maybe they'll take these back and send you a new set. Our original 2 sets of FroggToggs leaked in some places. We called them, they said to send them back, and they sent us 2 new sets. It's worth a phone call, you never know!

We also have very expensive Harley raingear -- it's hot and it's heavy -- hate to wear it. We LOVE our FroggToggs! Easy to pack and they keep you dry -- we've ridden in LOTS of rain, so know that for a fact! Also, the jacket makes a good windbreaker in a pinch.

Give them a call, you never know!

Riot
06-07-2009, 02:05 AM
I use Car Harts..but it never rains in Seattle :gaah:

effgjamis
06-07-2009, 11:26 AM
Hey Forrest, are you bringing your trailer to LA? What size shirts do you wear? I've got to pack raingear because I'm from British Columbia where it rains all the time, so I won't have room to pack any clothes. I just figured that as we'll be room mates, I'd wear your clothes. :2excited::roflblack::thumbup::yes:

Yes I am bringing the trailer..Tools, tires, bike wash, oil, filters, helmets, tent, sleeping bag, etc.
Oh....!! clothes, only need 1 of each, pants, shorts, socks, shoes, shirt. and when I stop I'll just use the local washing machine. That is if I have any quarters.

Some Guy
06-07-2009, 11:35 AM
I have Nelson-Rigg "Volante" rain gear. It's a two piece suit and has kept me completely dry in the rain. However, I've never worn them in hot weather and, judging by the material, I get the feeling they will be too warm in hot weather. I guess I'll find out, that is, if it ever warms up in Michigan! :gaah:

VIspyderman
06-07-2009, 11:56 AM
Yes I am bringing the trailer..Tools, tires, bike wash, oil, filters, helmets, tent, sleeping bag, etc.
Oh....!! clothes, only need 1 of each, pants, shorts, socks, shoes, shirt. and when I stop I'll just use the local washing machine. That is if I have any quarters.

Darn, I guess I'll have to bring some quarters too. Only three weeks today and it'll be all over...:(. But the memories and the friendships will last! :thumbup:

effgjamis
06-07-2009, 01:38 PM
Darn, I guess I'll have to bring some quarters too. Only three weeks today and it'll be all over...:(. But the memories and the friendships will last! :thumbup:

AMEN

bone crusher
06-07-2009, 03:03 PM
I burnt a hole in my Frogg Toggs, well the muffler did..

I was wondering if any of you spyderlovers know or have a good rain suit.. I think I would like the one piece if they are available.

thanks in advance.

Forrest

After getting caught in a thunderstorm WITHOUT the waterproof lining of my mesh jacket, I realized that you really don't need raingear...just ride when it stops raining and you dry out pretty fast...

I wear dri-fit under the jacket, as well...

If you're moving, you'll dry out quite quickly...only problem is that the leather from the gloves bled onto my hands...no biggie though...

vtrider
06-07-2009, 06:27 PM
I guess like everything else in riding gear, including rain gear, a lot of it comes down to personal preference. I have the two piece Tourmaster Sentinel rain suit and it seems to work fine for me. I've riden in heavy rain with it on and it has kept me dry. The jacket is on the heavy side though, and it could be hot on those hot summer days, especially if it is worn over your riding jacket, which I do most of the time. On those very hot days though, I guess I would just wear the rain Jacket over my regular clothes if it's raining out. The jacket is vented though, so that does help. I do like the agua barrier helmet hood that is hidden in the colar of the jacket that you put on when it's raining. This feature keeps the rain from running off your helmet and down your neck. The quality is very good, as I find with most of the Tourmaster stuff.

teacherbob
06-08-2009, 08:14 AM
FirstGear Rainman works for me.

rattdaddy@netzero.
06-10-2009, 12:46 AM
they sell patch matreial for just such cases. i bought mine on ebay.:2thumbs::ohyea:

dltang
06-17-2009, 10:09 PM
F

Second, I have a set of Frogg Toggs and the TourMaster Defender Rain Suit. I like the Frogg Toggs, they are lightweight and very cool very riding in hot weather, unfortunately the zipper on the jacket broke early on and will not stay zipped. With the defender, if it is warm out my pants get way too hot. While the Jacket is vented the pants are lined with rubber. So what this all boils down to is this: If we get rained on while on our trip out west, I will not have a matching rain suit. I am taking the Frogg Toggs bottoms, blue and the TourMaster Jacket Red as my suit. I will stay the driest and the coolest in the heat with this combination. I do like the TourMaster on cooler days though, as they block out the wind and give extra warmth. In the heat the Frogg Toggs are definitely the way to go.

Well, today I got caught in a torrential down pour. I had my mismatched rain gear on so I was prepared. It is a good thing I had a long sleeve shirt on over my work shirt though. As it turns out when I arrived, my pants and legs were completely dry. At first I thought my butt was wet as it felt damp. One disadvantage of my new seat, water does catch in there. Anyway, the Frogg Togg bottoms really did their job. Now the sad part, my TourMaster Jacket didn't work so well. I have worn it many times and never gotten this wet before. Both my arms were soaked and my whole left chest and stomach area. I may not have a mismatched rain suit for the LA trip after all. I may be buying a new set of Frogg Toggs as you can't seem to buy them separately. Out local dealer has them for $69.95 for the Road Toads so that is not too bad.

bone crusher
06-17-2009, 10:43 PM
Well, today I got caught in a torrential down pour. I had my mismatched rain gear on so I was prepared. It is a good thing I had a long sleeve shirt on over my work shirt though. As it turns out when I arrived, my pants and legs were completely dry. At first I thought my butt was wet as it felt damp. One disadvantage of my new seat, water does catch in there. Anyway, the Frogg Togg bottoms really did their job. Now the sad part, my TourMaster Jacket didn't work so well. I have worn it many times and never gotten this wet before. Both my arms were soaked and my whole left chest and stomach area. I may not have a mismatched rain suit for the LA trip after all. I may be buying a new set of Frogg Toggs as you can't seem to buy them separately. Out local dealer has them for $69.95 for the Road Toads so that is not too bad.

Hmmmm...I have found that riding in the rain is fine...even if you get drenched...provided the air temp. is warm enough, if you continue riding, you'll dry out quickly. I also wear dri-fit clothing under the jacket so that it aids in drying. I don't recommend wearing cotton anything as it takes too long to dry out...

As far as sitting and getting wet, it makes sense that the crotch area will get wet as water can pool there...this is still no concern as you will dry out as you go...

I always forget to put the waterproof lining in my fieldsheer jacket yet when it rains and I get soaked, in 15 minutes, I'm dry again...ahhhh...the open air is like a dryer!

Dudley
06-17-2009, 10:44 PM

Good to hear about the Road Toads. When looking for rain suits a few months ago, we decided on the Road Toads after reading the high marks given them on these posts. 10,800 miles and still haven't ridden in any rain on the Spyder. I am sure that will change in due time.

bjt
06-18-2009, 07:33 AM
Good to hear about the Road Toads. When looking for rain suits a few months ago, we decided on the Road Toads after reading the high marks given them on these posts. 10,800 miles and still haven't ridden in any rain on the Spyder. I am sure that will change in due time.

So the Road Toads is a rain preventative? :D :D I'm going to buy a set in the hopes that they work for me as they have for you. :thumbup:

BRPjunkie
06-18-2009, 07:52 AM
The itsy bitsy Spyder went out to ride about
Down came the rain and washed the Spyder out
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain
And the itsy bitsy Spyder went out to ride again. :D

Some Guy
06-18-2009, 08:18 AM
The itsy bitsy Spyder went out to ride about
Down came the rain and washed the Spyder out
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain
And the itsy bitsy Spyder went out to ride again. :D

:roflblack:

Oldmanzues
06-26-2009, 08:16 PM
I vote for Frogg Togs as well. I rode my ST1100 from Nashville to Dayton, Ohio, down pour all the way. Did not get wet.

I rode in a downpour with Frogg togs on my spyder with orignal windshield. Made a tiny mistake. I did not tottally fasten the jacket rain flap. Wind from lack of whindshield let the flap come open. I was soaked before I realized what was going on.

I been to Rallys where they sell heat shields to put on the bottoms.

Have Fun and Ride Safe

Old Man Zues

Director
06-26-2009, 08:44 PM
So the Road Toads is a rain preventative? :D :D I'm going to buy a set in the hopes that they work for me as they have for you. :thumbup:

Absolutely Brian! Conversely, the one way to guarantee torrential rainfall is to leave your raingear in the garage. :D

Bruce

irish2themax
06-27-2009, 09:56 AM
I have Frogg Toggs rain gear but, as I mentioned in a previous thread, I got caught in a torrential downpour in WV on my way to MO. Was going to change into my rain gear at the first overpass...of which there were NONE. By that time, my kevlar was soaked and I decided to press on. Could have pulled off to a gas station but didn't want to "seal in" my soaked gear with the Frogg Toggs. Six hours later I came out of the rain and within 30 minutes my gear was dry again. I discovered Frogg Toggs don't do much good when they are in your saddle bag!!

rmcaskey
06-27-2009, 10:09 AM
After getting caught in a thunderstorm WITHOUT the waterproof lining of my mesh jacket, I realized that you really don't need raingear...just ride when it stops raining and you dry out pretty fast...

Exactly. Cellphone and wallet tossed into the boot.

40 mph or so keeps the rain off the glasses, but I probably wouldn't try this on the super slab.

Don't mean to be indelicate, but going commando allows jeans to dry out faster.

:doorag:

Neez
07-01-2009, 12:25 AM
I have Frogg Toggs rain gear but, as I mentioned in a previous thread, I got caught in a torrential downpour in WV on my way to MO. Was going to change into my rain gear at the first overpass...of which there were NONE. By that time, my kevlar was soaked and I decided to press on. Could have pulled off to a gas station but didn't want to "seal in" my soaked gear with the Frogg Toggs. Six hours later I came out of the rain and within 30 minutes my gear was dry again. I discovered Frogg Toggs don't do much good when they are in your saddle bag!!What counts is how quickly you can get your raingear on. I own a jacket with a zip in liner, but I dont use the liner in the rain. Instead, I use a cheap yellow vynel set of two piece slickers,a couple of sizes too big. I can yank this stuff on, over top of all my other gear, in seconds. Hood goes under the helmet. Pants have a built-in elastic belt, pull on right over my boots. Get-up looks really hokey, but I have been in sudden mountain downpours and stayed dry. And besides, the bright yellow is high viz and does match my yellow SE5.

rleathen
07-01-2009, 10:16 AM
I just purchased a 1 piece Bering rain suit in black and hi-viz yellow. I only use this for major down pours since my Joe Rocket pants and Scorpian Commander jacket have removable rain liners.

Basically I use the pant and jacket rain liners to provide me some good protection if I get caught out in light to moderate rain and the 1 piece for Bering rain suit for all other rain or when it is raining prior to me leaving on my ride.