PDA

View Full Version : Virtual Reality or "Hyperframe" video?

SpyderSkeets
09-07-2018, 08:51 AM
I have videos of my Spyder ryde yesterday. One is produced as a VR video, and the other is called "Hyperframe". The VR one, the viewer controls the view by moving your phone, or swiping the video. The "Hyperlapse" one changes the view automatically but has (I think) some pretty cool effects. They're kinda long, but please have a look see and tell me what one you like better.
Thanks!
VR: https://youtu.be/m9TzK1sACzE

Hyperframe: https://youtu.be/Vn5JqKEDgmQ

Pirate looks at --
09-07-2018, 09:17 AM
Cool video, Man you have a big head!:roflblack: Where is the camera mounted??

Garydj
09-07-2018, 09:19 AM
I like the VR better. The hyperframe is novel, but doesn't give a true view of the scenery. Where is the Virb mounted to give it the 360 views?

Bob Denman
09-07-2018, 09:22 AM
Both are pretty cool! :clap:, but my vote is for hyperframe! :2thumbs:

(Nice music too! :D)

Pirate looks at --
09-07-2018, 09:26 AM
The Hyperframe is a better picture, but the VR is kinda cool! Oh, and I don't like videos of other people's rydes, or mine for that matter, but this is cool!

SpyderSkeets
09-07-2018, 09:40 AM

LOL. Yeah, it makes me look like one of those bobbleheads. The camera is mounted on top of the helmet. Trying to figure out another way to mount it so I don't look like a bobblehead.

SpyderSkeets
09-07-2018, 09:42 AM
Both are pretty cool! :clap:, but my vote is for hyperframe! :2thumbs:

(Nice music too! :D)

Thanks! One of the lesser known Led Zeppelin songs.

SpyderSkeets
09-07-2018, 09:45 AM
The Hyperframe is a better picture, but the VR is kinda cool! Oh, and I don't like videos of other people's rydes, or mine for that matter, but this is cool!

Thanks! The VR is 4K, and the Hyperframe is 1080P, so maybe the 4K is not as good as it should be because it takes longer to stream. Once they are cleared up, they both look pretty good

SpyderSkeets
09-07-2018, 12:48 PM
How hard is it to start and stop recording. Do you use an app that controls the VIRB or do you have to try and find the button with your fingers? Also, how long can you record? Limited by battery life or SD card? I like the VR better because I can choose what I want to see.

Theres an app but it also has a pretty good-sized slide switch on the side of the camera so you don't need to fumble around looking for a little button. Battery life is up to an hour so recording is limited to that as well as SD card

ARtraveler
09-07-2018, 12:58 PM
Another vote for hyperframe. :yes::2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Mr. White
09-07-2018, 01:07 PM
Both neat but VR for me. :spyder2:

Rob Rodriguez
09-07-2018, 01:20 PM
What is the camera you are using?

Two cats
09-07-2018, 02:27 PM
now that's just cold. But it's funny also

BernardD
09-07-2018, 02:49 PM

I am also interested to know about the camera!

SpyderSkeets
09-07-2018, 03:09 PM

I am also interested to know about the camera!

Nuh uh uh. :lecturef_smilie: That's not how it works. First you answer what one do you think is better, then if you want to know about the camera, you can ask.

Rob Rodriguez
09-07-2018, 03:11 PM
Nuh uh uh. :lecturef_smilie: That's not how it works. First you answer what one do you think is better, then if you want to know about the camera, you can ask.

Ha....fair enough. I prefer the VR one. If you had a fan on your desk in front of you blowing air, it would almost be like actually riding with the VR video.

BernardD
09-07-2018, 03:17 PM

I personally prefer the VR option. And having the viewer to interact with the video is really interesting.

SpyderSkeets
09-07-2018, 03:24 PM
The camera is the Garmin Virb 360. It is a little pricey, but it's by far the best 360 camera that I've owned so far.

canamjhb
09-07-2018, 03:26 PM
VR is best when in those states where grass is legal. Hyperframe for places where needed.....:yes::yes::yes:

hypurone
09-07-2018, 04:23 PM
VR for me! You're gonna make a lot of folks :barf: with the Hyperframe vid! :roflblack:

johnsimion
09-07-2018, 06:29 PM
VR definitely. Amazing that you can get that 360 view at all, let alone to be able to access it continuously. The hyperframe makes me feel sick to my stomach in places.

Regardless, great work.

Peter Aawen
09-07-2018, 08:50 PM
Yeah, another vote for VR here, despite the poor resolution. I literally hadta stop the hyperframe vid to go throw up, and that occurred again almost immediately I restarted it; so I didn't actually get to see the last half of that one. :opps: Now admittedly, I do have a recognised & massive vestibular dysfunction, but many people have some form of vestibular issue without necessarily being aware of it (pretty much everyone will have had at least 1 'episode' by the time they hit 70 tho!) so as hypurone said, you're gonna make a lot of folks :barf:with the hyperframe vid, unless you are etremely careful with what you make the image to do!! :shocked:

As for the music, you've gotta be careful with that too. Music is very much an individual taste, & what one likes or is maybe prepared to tolerate in order to watch your vid could make another switch it off immediately; so if you want to reach the widest possible range of viewers, your choice of music (or not!?!) will be critical! :lecturef_smilie:

As for me/my choice, unless you're ryding at fixed engine revs for ages, then I'd hafta ask what's wrong with listening to the engine & road noise as you work the Spyder? :thumbup:

SpyderSkeets
09-08-2018, 02:35 AM
Yeah, another vote for VR here, despite the poor resolution. I literally hadta stop the hyperframe vid to go throw up, and that occurred again almost immediately I restarted it; so I didn't actually get to see the last half of that one. :opps: Now admittedly, I do have a recognised & massive vestibular dysfunction, but many people have some form of vestibular issue without necessarily being aware of it (pretty much everyone will have had at least 1 'episode' by the time they hit 70 tho!) so as hypurone said, you're gonna make a lot of folks :barf:with the hyperframe vid, unless you are etremely careful with what you make the image to do!! :shocked:

As for the music, you've gotta be careful with that too. Music is very much an individual taste, & what one likes or is maybe prepared to tolerate in order to watch your vid could make another switch it off immediately; so if you want to reach the widest possible range of viewers, your choice of music (or not!?!) will be critical! :lecturef_smilie:

As for me/my choice, unless you're ryding at fixed engine revs for ages, then I'd hafta ask what's wrong with listening to the engine & road noise as you work the Spyder? :thumbup:

Thanks for the feedback.

The VR video is recorded and produced in 4K and uploaded to YouTube in the highest resolution possible. The fact that you're (and others?) are seeing it in such poor resolution has to be a matter of streaming/download speed. Does it clear up after a few seconds or is the entire video poor?

I apologize for your unpleasant response to the Hyperframe video but as you can see from the replies from others, that video is preferred almost as much as the VR (I personally prefer the Hyperframe). So not everyone is going to have the same kind of response as yours to the Hyperframe one so I don't think I shouldn't do them.

As far as the music, no matter what I use, there are folks who are going to like it and folks that are not. So it has to come down to my personal preference. Led Zeppelin is my favorite band, but the song I used is not one of my favorite songs by them. However, I thought it was a good fit to that video. Again, that is a personal choice.

As much as I would like to have the engine and road noise on, there is just too much wind noise and it drowns out everything else. For my next one, I have something in mind that might help with that.

Thanks again for the constructive feedback!

Peter Aawen
09-08-2018, 03:50 AM
...... has to be a matter of streaming/download speed. Does it clear up after a few seconds or is the entire video poor?

The entire video quality remained fairly poor, but I suspect it might be a youtube issue rather than anything else. I've tried watching the VR vid on a number of devices & servers today, including on my son's hi-res all singing all dancing live stream gaming server with massive streaming/download rate, & it still showed pretty poorly on everything.... Son says that's not uncommon with youtube, & since that's what he does for a crust, who am I to argue 'bout that?! :dontknow:

The barfing thing is nothing for you to be apologising about tho, I know it happens & usually get a little warning that I've done too much of something, as I did this time, but I persisted & paid the penalty.... & then went & repeated it! :banghead: They tell me I'd be wonderful in space, it's just gravity that causes all of the problems for me! :shocked:

Bfromla
09-08-2018, 04:08 AM
:firstplace: THANK YOU +1 for the VR being able to pan around like a passenger is nice & will be shared with family members that are too scared of bikes to attempt nojoke:clap: nice not just an action camera fixated view. Would be some awesome footage if mounted on a drone or RC plane going through some scenic vistas (where legally allowed) will be looking into as a future camera possibly :thumbup: watching it again I discovered the VR works in pause too if can time it right to something like one of the barns you pass by to get a better view. Cool

Firefly
09-08-2018, 11:01 AM
Quality on both videos plays well here...…
But there is no comparison as to which is better.. the VR is hands down the better, more watchable, useable video. The Hyper one seems like some annoying effects that most won't watch for very long.

I'll be looking into the
Garmin Virb 360 as I think the VR would be great to run while on trips... won't miss anything that way....

Firefly
09-08-2018, 11:04 AM
The entire video quality remained fairly poor, but I suspect it might be a youtube issue rather than anything else. I've tried watching the VR vid on a number of devices & servers today, including on my son's hi-res all singing all dancing live stream gaming server with massive streaming/download rate, & it still showed pretty poorly on everything.... Son says that's not uncommon with youtube, & since that's what he does for a crust, who am I to argue 'bout that?! :dontknow:

The barfing thing is nothing for you to be apologising about tho, I know it happens & usually get a little warning that I've done too much of something, as I did this time, but I persisted & paid the penalty.... & then went & repeated it! :banghead: They tell me I'd be wonderful in space, it's just gravity that causes all of the problems for me! :shocked:

Video plays great for me... on phone or desktop.....