PDA

View Full Version : Low oil light

BRPjunkie
06-05-2009, 10:15 PM
Lots of threads on the low fuel light and that it is conservative with about 1-1/2 gallons left when it comes on, but does anyone know what the setting is for the low oil light? Does it come on when the oil is down a few ounces or is when it is half a quart low or more? Have not seen a post of someone who has had the light come on, but thought someone might know the setting. Not relying on it in place of checking the oil every 500 miles, but it would be nice to know.

spyryder
06-05-2009, 10:23 PM
Lots of threads on the low fuel light and that it is conservative with about 1-1/2 gallons left when it comes on, but does anyone know what the setting is for the low oil light? Does it come on when the oil is down a few ounces or is when it is half a quart low or more? Have not seen a post of someone who has had the light come on, but thought someone might know the setting. Not relying on it in place of checking the oil every 500 miles, but it would be nice to know.
It's a pressure warning lamp, not a low level indicator.:f_spider:

Firefly
06-05-2009, 10:39 PM
It's a pressure warning lamp, not a low level indicator.:f_spider:

Yup - just like in a car. Although I hear some newer ones now show both level and pressure.

BRPjunkie
06-05-2009, 10:53 PM
Yup - just like in a car. Although I hear some newer ones now show both level and pressure.

I realize that, but the underlying cause of low oil pressur can be low oil level. Just wondering how low it would have to be for the "low oil pressure" light to come on.

Firefly
06-05-2009, 10:56 PM
My guess would be low enough that you'd have engine damage. Maybe one of the gearheads (scotty) can chime in - Maybe it can maintain pressure without oil at all? Dunno - first dry-sump unit I've ever owned.

spyryder
06-05-2009, 11:02 PM
I realize that, but the underlying cause of low oil pressur can be low oil level. Just wondering how low it would have to be for the "low oil pressure" light to come on.

NEVER run it until the pressure light comes on. Severe engine damage will result. I'd guess it would be down more than 2 quarts before it would happen.

BRPjunkie
06-05-2009, 11:12 PM
NEVER run it until the pressure light comes on. Severe engine damage will result. I'd guess it would be down more than 2 quarts before it would happen.

You never run any vehicle intentionally until a warning light comes on, but the purpose of a warning light is just that, to warn you of a problem, not warn you it's too late. I would think that the pressure would drop significantly if you were down a quart in a four quart system. I agree, time for the motorheads to weigh in.

spyryder
06-05-2009, 11:16 PM
Pressure won't drop at all until it starts sucking air from lack of oil in the sump. It would have to be pretty low for that to happen.

BRPjunkie
06-05-2009, 11:41 PM
Pressure won't drop at all until it starts sucking air from lack of oil in the sump. It would have to be pretty low for that to happen.

So the Owners Guide instructions to check for oil leaks or check the oil level are pretty much useless in a dry sump system. It is basically a bend over and kiss your engine goodbye light.

jwfranklin
06-05-2009, 11:50 PM
There are a number of reasons for the oil pressure light to come on other than low oil level. A kinked or blocked oil line, blocked oil passage in engine, bad oil pump. The advise I have always been given is to not drive a vehcile with the oil pressure light on, and if it comes on while driving get off the road as soon as possible and shut it down. You only have a few seconds without oil pressure before you have serious engine damage.

Wayne

Lamonster
06-06-2009, 05:45 AM
In my experience a low oil light on a bike means it's time to rebuild your motor. I through a rod bearing on my 109 and the bike got so hot that it cooked the oil. At that point my oil light came on but it was toast. :opps:

M2Wild
06-06-2009, 07:14 AM
You never run any vehicle intentionally until a warning light comes on, but the purpose of a warning light is just that, to warn you of a problem, not warn you it's too late. I would think that the pressure would drop significantly if you were down a quart in a four quart system. I agree, time for the motorheads to weigh in.

:agree:Its a warning light .... not a damage indicator.

NancysToy
06-06-2009, 07:35 AM
It may be a warning light, and not a damage indicator, but the chances of seeing the light and not having engine damage are pretty slim unless a bad sensor caused the light to come on. Even with a wet guage, by the time it flutters, there is usually bearing damage before you can hit the kill switch. Engines need oil under pressure. If pressure is low, the oil light shows. There can be many causes...low oil (wet or dry sump), bad oil pump, oil leak, too much bearing clearance, etc. Most causes are mechanical and need to be addressed by a teardown anyway, but the lack of oil from any cause is more likely to cause some damage than not.
-Scotty http://www.pmdawnonline.com/forum/images/smilies/velo.gif

bjt
06-07-2009, 05:56 AM
Thankfully dltang's low oil light coming on last week turned out to be a bad sensor.

Firefly
06-07-2009, 08:05 AM
Thankfully dltang's low oil light coming on last week turned out to be a bad sensor.

Again - it's not a 'low oil' light.

I think calling it that could cause a novice user reading this thread to misunderstand what it does.

It's a low oil-pressure light.

bjt
06-07-2009, 08:10 AM
My bad for not calling the oil can light thingy the proper technical term. :D

BRPjunkie
06-07-2009, 09:31 AM
Again - it's not a 'low oil' light.

I think calling it that could cause a novice user reading this thread to misunderstand what it does.

It's a low oil-pressure light.

No disagreement that it is a low oil pressure light, it's just that the Owner's Guide advises you to check for oil leaks or low oil level. It should say, stop immediately, shut off bike and call for pick up.

NancysToy
06-07-2009, 11:26 AM
No disagreement that it is a low oil pressure light, it's just that the Owner's Guide advises you to check for oil leaks or low oil level. It should say, stop immediately, shut off bike and call for pick up.
I'll go along with that 100%. Capital letters and bold font, too.
-Scotty http://www.pmdawnonline.com/forum/images/smilies/velo.gif