PDA

View Full Version : Burnt wire harness and fried ECM

Sopher
06-05-2009, 09:55 PM
I brought my Spyder into service for an issue with Starting after the bike was warm; it would only start in Neutral. First start of the day would work fine in 1st, obviously with clutch in.

After three days on the bench, the tech said they found a wire harness that was burnt; either overload or pinched wires. I dont buy the pinched wires myself. They couldn't even plug into the ECM to pull info; it was fried;

So they worked with BRP; they both never heard of it. They ordered a replacement ECM and wireharness and will send the bad back to BRP for them to disect.
Anyone else hear of this?

I really wanted to pick her up tomorrow; I will be lucky to have it read for June 13th. Just in time for Laconia.

NancysToy
06-05-2009, 10:03 PM
Glad it didn't strand you in the middle of nowhere. I hope you get a quick, permanent cure, in time for Laconia. We'll keep our fingers crossed for you.
-Scotty

nickcaro
06-07-2009, 10:07 PM
something similar happens to me in heavy traffic when its really hot out. Engine will stall and then any attempt to restart just resets the dash. (swinging needles)
Only way I can start up again is to push it to the side of the road and wait about 15 minutes. Then it fires up like nothing ever happened.
Probably got me about 11 times last summer and I forgot all about it until I was in heavy traffic last week, due to a bad accident. I can tell when its coming and now do my best to either maintain motion at low RPM, or just pull over and hang out for a while. My idle starts creeping towards 1k and I can start smelling gas fumes almost like a flooded engine.

Sopher
06-11-2009, 09:31 PM
UPDATE: OK, I called the dealer (not my original as G&G Cycles shut down) and the service tech threw me a loop... Last week he said it was a burnt wire harness and needs a replacement ECM.

He admitted that issues was someone else's Spider. (He did originally say that two yellow and one silver spyder was in the shop; Mine would be silver. But in fact TWO spyder's were there.)

The issue with MY spyder was a sensitive switch AT THE Pezzo (Spelling?) Clutch lever! At settings 1, the problem would occur. At 2,3,4,5 or 6 it would not.

Thankfully it has been raining all week. I pick her up on saturday.

ataDude
06-11-2009, 09:36 PM
UPDATE: OK, I called the dealer (not my original as G&G Cycles shut down) and the service tech threw me a loop... Last week he said it was a burnt wire harness and needs a replacement ECM.

He admitted that issues was someone else's Spider. (He did originally say that two yellow and one silver spyder was in the shop; Mine would be silver. But in fact TWO spyder's were there.)

The issue with MY spyder was a sensitive switch AT THE Pezzo (Spelling?) Clutch lever! At settings 1, the problem would occur. At 2,3,4,5 or 6 it would not.

Thankfully it has been raining all week. I pick her up on saturday.

Soooo... your aftermarket lever was not tripping the clutch switch on the "1" setting. Hmmm... there should be a way to fix that... have done it on other bikes... but not sure about this setup you have.

Still... that diagnosis is much better than the prior... unless they bill you for the diagnostic time.

Firefly
06-11-2009, 10:11 PM
Yup - I noticed the same thing - but the "1" setting really isn't pulling the clutch far enough to totally disengage anyway - you can feel the bike pulling just a touch - which would be like riding the clutch--- which could wear it out sooner as when you hold it in at stop lights it's rubbing a bit.

That's my theory at least - so I never run it in the "1" position - even 2 is a bit close.

Love the lever though!

Capt John
06-11-2009, 10:15 PM
I had the same problem. The Pazzo adjustable lever does not disengage/apply enough force to the safety switch to allow start up. Someone else also posted this fact somewhere on here. Glad it was something simple. I was 30 miles from home when this happed to me, but after a phone call and scratching my head. I got it figured out.:clap:

bone crusher
06-12-2009, 10:45 AM
I know about ripped wiring and shorting...argh!

Sopher
06-13-2009, 10:46 PM
I picked up my Spyder today.
On very close inspection (Mine) You can hear a slight tick of a mechanical switch when you pull in the clutch with any setting higher than 1. But the #1 setting does not always click. I've had this lever since September; rode it September thru November then Late April thru now.

The dealer did charge me $40 labor. drats!

bone crusher
06-14-2009, 01:41 PM
I picked up my Spyder today.
On very close inspection (Mine) You can hear a slight tick of a mechanical switch when you pull in the clutch with any setting higher than 1. But the #1 setting does not always click. I've had this lever since September; rode it September thru November then Late April thru now.

The dealer did charge me $40 labor. drats!

:hun: 'setting higher than 1'...are you referring to a SM5, and if so, what are you talking about?

wyliec
06-14-2009, 05:02 PM
:hun: 'setting higher than 1'...are you referring to a SM5, and if so, what are you talking about?

Look here- http://www.pazzoracing.com/

Scan thru the pictures in the upper left and you will see the settings 1-6.