PDA

View Full Version : Ever Flip Over When Cornering?

solidgranite
08-31-2018, 11:24 AM
I ride a 2012 RTSE5 with recommended tire pressure. I'm curious if anyone has flipped a Spyder while cornering. I always slow down, and don't take the corners as fast as my 2 wheel buds. I've never felt the wheels leave the ground, but its surely possible if the speed is too high, and I don't want to flip. Has anyone flipped while cornering, barring any other cause (no mechanical issues, traffic, obstructions, etc.)?

ned64
08-31-2018, 11:35 AM
I take the corners at the posted speed for them sitting straight up. I don't lean into the corner as I'm not needing to take them faster.

Bob Denman
08-31-2018, 11:36 AM
There are enough vehicle stability controls in place; to do a pretty good job of preventing this...

But every time you build something that is "Fool-Proof": a better grade of fool will show up to show you the error of your ways! :D

(Don't forget to lean into the turns... :thumbup:)

2dogs
08-31-2018, 11:38 AM
But you can flip it if you go backwards too fast and turn it sharp. It's been done before. :yikes:

Bob Denman
08-31-2018, 11:41 AM
You are correct: the VSS doesn't help a bit if you're in reverse... :banghead:

Pirate looks at --
08-31-2018, 12:17 PM
You can go as fast as your two wheel brothers do. You do want to lean into the turns with yiu upper body while pushing on the outside handlebar, pulling with the inside bar, and pushing with the outside foot, so Push, Push, Pull!

pegasus1300
08-31-2018, 12:42 PM
You can do the corners at least as fast as your 2 wheeler and maybe faster. Follow the Pirate's advice and as you get more comfortable with it you will go faster. Also slow just a little as you go in and speed up as you come out.

Motorcycledave
08-31-2018, 12:45 PM
I ride with my local club Port Stockton Motorcycle Club founded 1937, ( just had to through that in)
we have many sport bikes, Harley's, GoldWings, duel sports and others when they ride they usually try
to push it a little fast however they have not ditched me yet... but they try.

I ride a 2012 RTSE5 with recommended tire pressure. I'm curious if anyone has flipped a Spyder while cornering. I always slow down, and don't take the corners as fast as my 2 wheel buds. I've never felt the wheels leave the ground, but its surely possible if the speed is too high, and I don't want to flip. Has anyone flipped while cornering, barring any other cause (no mechanical issues, traffic, obstructions, etc.)?

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-31-2018, 01:05 PM
You can go as fast as your two wheel brothers do. You do want to lean into the turns with yiu upper body while pushing on the outside handlebar, pulling with the inside bar, and pushing with the outside foot, so Push, Push, Pull!
:agree::agree::agree: ........ I do the twisties beyond the limit ..... Those yellow speed advisory signs , I mostly do them at twice the posted speed and on some occasions almost triple them .... Sorry I know this is bad but :dontknow:- but at 71 I'm still pushing the limits ..... ( on low psi car tires :roflblack: ) ..... in contrast the Slingshot should be even more stabile, but I saw a Video where the Guy had all stability controls shut off and --- yep He flipped ....... You can't shut them off on the Spyder ( possibly a good thing for the Newbie's ).... I believe you might be able to TIP one over ( but not actually FLIP it ).... But you would have to be doing something with the Steering that was COMPLETELY WRONG ( like on purpose ) ..... jmho ...........Mike .....PS Bob Denman found the Slingshot roll-over video ....He linked in His Post

ARtraveler
08-31-2018, 01:15 PM
What has been said about the stability controls on board and leaning a bit into the turn should help the majority of :spyder2: pilots.

I sometimes push the limits on the posted curves, as in 20 mph plus--but am always careful to stay within the lines. I don't want to be that person who meets another head on when someone is in the wrong lane.

The rule about entering any turn without having to use the brakes to slow down is a good one. You should be able to accelerate slightly if you are doing it "right."

johnsimion
08-31-2018, 01:18 PM
:agree::agree::agree: ........ I do the twisties beyond the limit ..... Those yellow speed advisory signs , I mostly do them at twice the posted speed and on some occasions almost triple them .... Sorry I know this is bad but :dontknow:- but at 71 I'm still pushing the limits ..... ( on low psi car tires :roflblack: ) ..... in contrast the Slingshot should be even more stabile, but I saw a Video where the Guy had all stability controls shut off and --- yep He flipped ....... You can't shut them off on the Spyder ( possibly a good thing for the Newbie's ).... I believe you might be able to TIP one over ( but not actually FLIP it ).... But you would have to be doing something with the Steering that was COMPLETELY WRONG ( like on purpose ) ..... jmho ...........Mike :thumbup:

Me too! Turns are one of the pleasures of the Spyder. IMO the Spyder is more like a sports car than a motorcycle. Being so light and with all that tire contact, it sticks like glue compared to motorcycles. Experiment with yours -- take it to an empty parking lot, lean into the turn and do donuts. It's fun, your motorcycle buddies will be jealous, and you'll develop your confidence. And BTW I only have the stock Kendas. When those wear out, I want to get some summer performance tires and see how fast I can take the corners.

Rob Rodriguez
08-31-2018, 01:18 PM
In my opinion if you were able to flip a Spyder over moving forward then something had to have gone VERY, VERY wrong. VERY WRONG. These machines are as stable as can be.

DGoebel
08-31-2018, 01:25 PM
Not that I EVER Speed, cornering speed signs are not the speed limit and I usually can corner through at the speed limit, often times 10+ MPH over the corners speed sign. No sense of adverse tipping (Though I do have a few front suspension upgrades. BajaRon Anti-sway bar and Shock Spring Pre-Load Adjuster Kit. Corners like it's on rails.

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-31-2018, 01:33 PM
Me too! Turns are one of the pleasures of the Spyder. IMO the Spyder is more like a sports car than a motorcycle. Being so light and with all that tire contact, it sticks like glue compared to motorcycles. Experiment with yours -- take it to an empty parking lot, lean into the turn and do donuts. It's fun, your motorcycle buddies will be jealous, and you'll develop your confidence. And BTW I only have the stock Kendas. When those wear out, I want to get some summer performance tires and see how fast I can take the corners.
js , start looking for a " Vredestein Quatrac 5 " tire seller ...... They have a very wide selection of tires that will easily fit the Spyders..... And they have the BEST traction ratings ( both wet & dry ) of what's available currently. My next tire change will have these, unless something better comes out ( but it would be difficult to top the Vredesteins ..........Mike :thumbup:

UtahPete
08-31-2018, 03:20 PM
I think it is safe to say that all those who flipped their Spyder are not here to tell about it. ;)

ARtraveler
08-31-2018, 03:32 PM
I think it is safe to say that all those who flipped their Spyder are not here to tell about it. ;)

There have been a couple. You are right about the outcome. They were not members--but the news articles were forwarded to us. One couple in Ohio in their 70's for sure.

Bob Denman
08-31-2018, 05:34 PM
Spyders aren't the only ones that can be ridden... or driven: stupidly!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXCq-EuHXHE

IdahoMtnSpyder
08-31-2018, 06:30 PM
I tell people that I'm not going to say it's impossible to flip a Spyder on a corner, but it is extremely unlikely. Nanny has several sensors, a primary one for cornering being the yaw sensor. If Nanny detects the bike leaning outward too much she will automatically throttle back and set the brakes if it needs to. I've had it happen! When I heard a front tire squeal I don't know if it was sliding sideways on the pavement or if Nanny braked it enough to skid it.

SPYDERGUY1
08-31-2018, 06:40 PM
I lifted the right front once, a little over zealous going into a corner, and the NANNY INSTANTLY kicked in, now I nowhat to expect, and never done it since.

Easy Rider
08-31-2018, 07:03 PM
I don't lean into the corner as I'm not needing to take them faster.

On 3 wheels, leaning into a corner is more to keep YOU stable rather than to keep the bike from flipping.
It is a good habit to develop........because you might go flying off before the Spyder tips over.

Chupaca
08-31-2018, 07:37 PM
the "in reverse" I have heard of not seen myself. Going forward I have seen wheel lifts and done a few myself but the nanny kicked in and put that suckker back down. You will get comfrotable with the speed in the corners just take your time and go at it little by little and stay in your comfort zone... :thumbup:

IdahoMtnSpyder
08-31-2018, 09:30 PM
the "in reverse" I have heard of not seen myself. Going forward I have seen wheel lifts and done a few myself but the nanny kicked in and put that suckker back down. You will get comfrotable with the speed in the corners just take your time and go at it little by little and stay in your comfort zone... :thumbup:
There's a thread here somewhere with a video showing a guy going too fast in reverse and flipping over. The bad part, IIRC, his boss's daughter was watching and the bike belonged to his boss. He was here asking about the best way to get it repaired!

Nanny also will prevent you from going faster than 9 mph in reverse, so there is at least that Nanny control while driving in reverse.

When I took the trike course at Wing Ding in 2016 we did an optional exercise to see how tight and fast we could go in a circle. I managed to get the inside front wheel to lift, but barely. It was a contest between Nanny control and my determination!

BoxyLady
09-01-2018, 08:45 AM
You are correct: the VSS doesn't help a bit if you're in reverse... :banghead:

Yes and with the Spyder having a real reverse gear, there is a lot of torque and very quick takeoff in reverse. I am always amazed at how strong the reverse gear is....

jmatera
09-01-2018, 09:01 AM

I have a 2016 RS and I was out on a ride and hit a turn faster than I should have. I leaned into it more that I usually do to hold my lane and when I came out of the turn I heard a chirp from the wheel that was on the outside of the curve and realized it had lifted off the ground in the turn. I didn't feel like it would flip at all but I do pay more attention to my speed around turns now. :D

solidgranite
09-01-2018, 09:12 AM
Thanks very much for the advice and shared experiences. Its much appreciated. I'll still take corners a bit slower until my confidence rises enough to power through them. :-) I usually slow a bit, then speed up about 1/2 way through the corner, and blast out of it. No problems keeping up with my buds on their Harleys, and I'm a lot more comfortable at the end of a long ride.

Again, thanks for sharing!

solidgranite
09-01-2018, 09:18 AM
Spyders aren't the only ones that can be ridden... or driven: stupidly!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXCq-EuHXHE

It looked like the driver either gave up control, swerving all over the place, or maybe had a mechanical issue with this steering. I NEVER want to experience that!

Easy Rider
09-01-2018, 09:35 AM
when I came out of the turn I heard a chirp from the wheel that was on the outside of the curve and realized it had lifted off the ground in the turn.

That requires some explanation.
I think you are mistaken.
I don't think there is any way that you can lift the OUTSIDE WHEEL while in a turn.......with any vehicle.

TicketBait
09-01-2018, 11:21 AM
I lifted the right front once, a little over zealous going into a corner, and the NANNY INSTANTLY kicked in, now I nowhat to expect, and never done it since.

Same here, was able to unexpectedly lift right wheel when I

turned left sharply in a turn, now I know the limit As far as
corners at speed have done 70ish in freeway turns all the time if traffic is lite.:riding:

TicketBait
09-01-2018, 11:29 AM
It looked like the driver either gave up control, swerving all over the place, or maybe had a mechanical issue with this steering. I NEVER want to experience that!

to me it looked like he was doing an obstacle
course where he entered the turn too hot and
over adjusted the next turn. Too bad, had he
not tried to save it on the first mistake he could
have just driven off knowing he was too fast.
Thats why taking a high speed driving course,
ie: https://www.springmountainmotorsports.com
will help immensely, even in an accident....(knock on wood)

IdahoMtnSpyder
09-01-2018, 12:08 PM
The best I can remember of what has been reported here the only incidents of Spyders flipping over had nothing to do with flipping by going around a corner too fast. At least one was a case of the rider going off the road going around a curve and rolling over going over the bank. At least one, IIRC, was a Spyder being broadsided by a car. And there was a guy in Australia who rolled his when a car squeezed him and his front wheel ran up on the curb dividing the highway.

TicketBait
09-01-2018, 12:23 PM
The best I can remember of what has been reported here the only incidents of Spyders flipping over had nothing to do with flipping by going around a corner too fast. At least one was a case of the rider going off the road going around a curve and rolling over going over the bank. At least one, IIRC, was a Spyder being broadsided by a car. And there was a guy in Australia who rolled his when a car squeezed him and his front wheel ran up on the curb dividing the highway.

When I was broadsided on right side of spyder
in a parking lot at low speed each of us going
8-12 mph my spyder landed on its side and
then on it's own bounced back up right on all
3 wheels. I was ejected over windshield to the
left about 20 feet. Landing on my back.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?34830-Broadsided

missouriboy
09-03-2018, 04:54 AM
Same here, was able to unexpectedly lift right wheel when I turned left...Again, that's claiming to lift the OUTSIDE wheel in a turn. The wheel catching all the weight-transfer. See Post #27. :dontknow:

old Timer
09-03-2018, 06:35 AM
The only 3 wheeled motorcycles (trikes) are the models with one wheel in front and two in back (conventional trike). That is the reason that the conventional trike 3 wheel ATV's were outlawed, too many serious accidents. It is nor hard at all to flip a Harley trike or the popular Honda Goldwing trike conversion.

A Can Am Spyder is the safest trike available by quiet a large margin.

asp125
09-03-2018, 09:40 AM
It would not be impossible, though rare, to flip a Spyder. Even a hard swerve, I think you'd be thrown off before the Spyder would flip. In the Polaris video the driver overcorrects and momentum did the rest. At some point, physics wins. I could see where it might happen on a Spyder, if you're cornering hard and you catch a curb with the inside tire, kicking it up faster than the nanny can respond. Or the outside tire catches in a pothole or drops off the pavement into a soft shoulder. But just by going fast on level pavement, I think Nanny would slap you first before flipping.

Gumbeau
10-03-2018, 03:28 PM

No

fatboy
10-03-2018, 04:58 PM
i ride a 16 f 3 can raise inside tire about 6 inches or so off the ground before nanny kicks in there is no possible way to get out side tire off the ground when cornering as to flipping i say no rode the dragon last friday riding as hard as i wanted to having a great time until i got busted doing 55 n a 30

ofdave
10-03-2018, 06:12 PM
here is an interesting video of a Spyder lifting a wheel in a turn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zElfDrZzvl8

IdahoMtnSpyder
10-03-2018, 06:40 PM
here is an interesting video of a Spyder lifting a wheel in a turn.
I wonder how well the Police Edition Spyder is selling. Lifting the inside wheel is probably possible because of changes to Nanny specifically for the Police version.

rocketman74
10-04-2018, 12:49 PM
I was very hesitant in the turns initially as well after buying my Spyder. The Can Am-sponsored three-wheeled motorcycle class gave me a LOT more confidence and comfort when making sharp adjustments, taking turns, etc. Coming from a two-wheel ride I thought I would roll the Spyder or lose traction on one of the front wheels, when in fact, nothing could be further from the truth. These bikes are very stable. With traction control/nanny mode, ABS and everything built in, there will be rare occasions when you push the bike too hard.

I can tell you, after taking that course and putting 500+ miles on it since then, that I feel SO MUCH more comfortable in the corners and can ride through them at much higher speeds than I ever did on two wheels. There are posts in this forum as well which tell stories of two-wheel riders trying to keep up with Spyders in the turns.

Manage your speed for now, lean in, get comfortable, and slowly push for faster speeds and comfort. You'll get there quickly and the concerns you have now won't be there.

BajaRon
10-04-2018, 01:15 PM
A sway bar upgrade would fix a lot of that... :ohyea:

rocketman74
10-04-2018, 03:44 PM
A sway bar upgrade would fix a lot of that... :ohyea:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.png

Buying mine soon... need to get through the current list of accessory purchases and installations first!

Culpjp
10-04-2018, 05:14 PM
I've had mine on two wheels a couple of times. Always when I was talking a turn a lot faster than I should have. Only once did the nanny kick in. That was the one time I completely different think I was going very days. The other times I was off the throttle as soon as I felt the tire raise up, knowing I was going into the turn too fast. I wanted to see what the limits were.

Yazz
10-04-2018, 08:16 PM

The first Spyder to flip over that I know, via SpyderLovers, was a GS. He went into a corner that had an oil spill on it. The Spyder slid sideways through the oil, hit clean pavement and flipped. He was able to push the GS off him. Adrenaline?

The second I heard first hand from the rider. He was taking his daughter for her first ride on a RT, she was early teens. He took the corner too slow, and it just fell over. Too slow for Nanny to kick in? They got the RT pushed back up and it didn't rattle the daughter at all.

The GS would have flipped no matter what. I'm betting the RT was new and hadn't gotten the RonBar installed yet.

missouriboy
10-05-2018, 06:37 AM
...I completely different think I was going very days...My Reading Comprehension 101 course completely fails me. :dontknow:

Chiisai
10-05-2018, 10:05 AM
I wonder how well the Police Edition Spyder is selling. Lifting the inside wheel is probably possible because of changes to Nanny specifically for the Police version.

Branson, Missouri already has 2 of the Police Editions. They so graciously showed up at a GWRRA Missouri District rally that I attended this last May. I did get pictures of them and if I can dig them out of my Iphone, I will post them. Sadly though, they were still running the crappy Kendas on them as they had only had them a couple of weeks.