PDA

View Full Version : BREAK-IN OIL

Garf
08-30-2018, 02:32 PM
Does anyone know if BRP uses a break-in oil in their new 1330 engines?
Just had my 3K service and to me the engine is quieter and the transmission shifts smoother.

ARtraveler
08-30-2018, 04:21 PM
Does anyone know if BRP uses a break-in oil in their new 1330 engines?
Just had my 3K service and to me the engine is quieter and the transmission shifts smoother.

Good question. :bowdown: Anyone know for sure???

Bob Denman
08-30-2018, 05:01 PM
They do not, and they never have.

2dogs
08-30-2018, 06:30 PM
I just can't imagine a engine would leave a manufacturer's hands without first starting it up to make sure it functions as intended. But then again we're talking about BRP. Maybe with new technology all they have to do is fill it up, start it up, run it through the gears, install it and ship it off. The 3k oil change may be its first ever oil change. inquiring minds would like to know.

Navydad
08-30-2018, 08:24 PM
I would put my money on NO. Can you imagine the cost involved with changing oil in every bike before it left the plant? Where I worked that would be a big NO. The trucks engines were filled with oil and then ten miles on the dyno, full throttle miles. The trucks then had the oil level checked and oil added or removed as needed. The trucks went to the customer and 99% went into service right off the bat no break in or easy driving. Fully loaded and hit the road. If for some reason the oil had to be drained like the wrong drain plug installed (there were several options) the oil was saved and put back into the engine. Buying and disposing of all this oil would take away from the bottom line and that is unacceptable.

Chupaca
08-30-2018, 11:13 PM
My understanding is vehicle is shipped without oil or gas. All the bikes, quads and watercraft I serviced and delivered needed to have oil and gas added after assembly. The oil used to test the engine at the factory is drained....:thumbup:

2dogs
08-31-2018, 03:00 AM
My understanding is vehicle is shipped without oil or gas. All the bikes, quads and watercraft I serviced and delivered needed to have oil and gas added after assembly. The oil used to test the engine at the factory is drained....:thumbup:

I don't want to get into any engine break-in procedures, that could be worse than PSI discussions, But what do they with the drained oil? Use it in another new engine and then drain it again? Navydad had a good answer regarding wasting good oil.

JayBros
08-31-2018, 06:09 AM
I think that most of us are of an age that we bring to the discussion experiences wherein internal combustion engine manufacturing and petroleum refining/manufacturing were atrocious compared to today's standards. On assembly lines today I think one can safely assume engines are assembled with such precision and adequate assembly lubrication that break in oil is not necessary. JMO.

Trbayth
08-31-2018, 06:44 AM
Last year at the factory tour during homecoming they showed the platform at the end of the line where they run the bikes up through all the gears and at various throttle settings while the computer verifies everything is running fine.

Break-in oil? I don't know. Are the bikes started and tested after assembly? Yup.

2dogs
08-31-2018, 12:09 PM
There's so many good and reasonable answers, can they all be right? They (BRP) apparently start and run the engine before shipment, then what do they do with the oil if they ship it dry?

Bob Denman
08-31-2018, 01:41 PM
The bikes are shipped with all fluids in place. :thumbup:

Garf
08-31-2018, 02:10 PM
I think my question has been answered. Thanks!