PDA

View Full Version : Starter Problem?

Orangecrush
08-25-2018, 04:47 PM
Hi everyone..this is my first post. I’ve had my Spyder since last fall and am absolutely loving everything about it. I have a 14 RTL with about 30,000 miles. I’ve noticed that sometimes when starting it turns over a couple of times or for a better description drags before starting up. I immediately thought it was the battery so I replaced it. I am still having the issue. I would say it starts right up about 80% of the time but the few times that it drags when starting I worry there may be something else wrong. Does this sound like I may need a new starter? Has anyone else experienced this? I may give my dealer a call next week to get it checked out.

Bfromla
08-25-2018, 05:19 PM
Notice any smell:dontknow: fuel, or maybe something too hot? Hopefully not, but there can be a number of things affecting start up. There is a procedure "TWO" Throttle Wide Open that is recommended for some hard to start situations (others please chime in) not sure if yours is in that category, so please wait till somebody else confirms before you just try.

Orangecrush
08-25-2018, 05:28 PM
Notice any smell:dontknow: fuel, or maybe something too hot? Hopefully not, but there can be a number of things affecting start up. There is a procedure "TWO" Throttle Wide Open that is recommended for some hard to start situations (others please chime in) not sure if yours is in that category, so please wait till somebody else confirms before you just try.

I’ve not noticed any smell or anything getting too hot. It’s been doing this for a while now. I was hoping the new battery would take care of it but still doing it. What doesn’t make sense is that on an all day ride with multiple starts it may only happen once or twice. We rode today and out of 5 starts, it did it only once.

CA Railwhale
08-25-2018, 05:34 PM
Before resorting to changing an expensive starter, I'd clean and retighten both the positive and negative battery cables. It could be as simple as a little corrosion under a clamp.

Orangecrush
08-25-2018, 05:47 PM
One other thing I wondered about is that hubby installed a J&M CB about the same time this issue started. He says that he doesn’t think that would cause the starter to drag.

Orangecrush
08-25-2018, 05:51 PM
Before resorting to changing an expensive starter, I'd clean and retighten both the positive and negative battery cables. It could be as simple as a little corrosion under a clamp.

We will definitely check that. Thanks.

Bfromla
08-25-2018, 05:52 PM
One other thing I wondered about is that hubby installed a J&M CB about the same time this issue started. He says that he doesn’t think that would cause the starter to drag.
No but may have loosened a ground cable that could cause issues:lecturef_smilie::dontknow:

Easy Rider
08-26-2018, 10:54 AM

This. And BOTH ends of the cables.

Then.....was your new battery fully charged before installing ?
Has anyone checked the charging voltage while running ??

And just to cover all the bases.......you do check your oil level occasionally.....right ??

Chupaca
08-26-2018, 11:07 AM
I agree with Bfromla in that is is wise to go back to when it started and recheck any changes made to the machine. Don't know where the connections were made but could be the issue if they were not made correctly. Next step would be to check the starter out but have not seen any problems with this new machines....:thumbup:9

CA Railwhale
08-26-2018, 12:57 PM
This. And BOTH ends of the cables.

Then.....was your new battery fully charged before installing ?
Has anyone checked the charging voltage while running ??

And just to cover all the bases.......you do check your oil level occasionally.....right ??

I wasn't clear, I meant to say BOTH ends although corrosion is more likely at the battery connections.

Mrs Gruff
09-28-2018, 03:06 PM
I was having the same kind of problem and my husband insisted it was the battery. It was possibly low, but the battery basically was drained by attempting to start and now the starter is frozen up necessitating a new started. I believe my problem all along was the starter. Once we get a new starter next week, (had to order nobody this side of Missouri has one) I will post if the darn thing starts. I have 33,000 miles on my 2012 RT. Maybe this will help you or maybe yours is all fixed.

IGETAROUND
09-28-2018, 05:17 PM
Hi everyone..this is my first post. I’ve had my Spyder since last fall and am absolutely loving everything about it. I have a 14 RTL with about 30,000 miles. I’ve noticed that sometimes when starting it turns over a couple of times or for a better description drags before starting up. I immediately thought it was the battery so I replaced it. I am still having the issue. I would say it starts right up about 80% of the time but the few times that it drags when starting I worry there may be something else wrong. Does this sound like I may need a new starter? Has anyone else experienced this? I may give my dealer a call next week to get it checked out.

when it drags and then starts are you having any mechinical noises that don't belong there??? If so look towards the Sprague clutch. My 14 twin was doing the same thing over more than a years time, became more frequent and finally would not start. Sprague clutch was bad; thankfully covered under extended warrenty. $1400 repair on the RS, don't know what it would be on the triple.. Just a thought.

Al in Kazoo

CHRIS T
02-17-2019, 08:58 PM
My 2009 GS has started doing same thing. Battery tested fine. Does not do it all the time. Did the new starter solve the problem?

Easy Rider
02-18-2019, 08:52 AM
My 2009 GS has started doing same thing. Battery tested fine. Does not do it all the time. Did the new starter solve the problem?

Check those cable connections.
Check the charging voltage while running.

And....if your battery is more than 4 years old, just replace it.
Battery "tests" don't always tell the whole story.