PDA

View Full Version : That ride...you know the one.

NuttyBuckeye
08-24-2018, 08:46 PM
Took my 2018 rt limited out for a good ride. Getting to one another a bit better. 2-1/2 hr ride to C-Bus for a look at a new helmet. There’s a big retail place in Westerville.

Anywayyyyy. I took the scenic route. Halfway there on a country highway, I run into road construction (fresh gravel, loose stone etc). My heart sinks and I think about alternatives. No choice but to travel on this for a 1/4 mile till I catch a county road. I go slow and don’t make many friends behind me, haha..screw ‘em! The opposing traffic (trucks and such) are spitting stones at me and my ride...grrr. I end up zig zagging my way to decent pavement.

Return trip via I-71 with a lunch at Grandpa’s Cheese Barn.

Short take is that you never know when gravel is in your future, especially on those back county highways. No harm done and will be installing belt guard tomorrow.

edit: I got the helmet. LS2 OF568 (I think). Fits my noggin perfect....and on sale.

Chupaca
08-24-2018, 09:01 PM
Glad you made it through and no harm done. Being a weekday Ryder I know what you mean and that third wheel makes all the difference on those sandy and gravely corners..:thumbup:

NuttyBuckeye
08-24-2018, 09:08 PM
Glad you made it through and no harm done. Being a weekday Ryder I know what you mean and that third wheel makes all the difference on those sandy and gravely corners..:thumbup:

For sure. On the interstate, gave me a chance to see how she handles the wind. She has some movement, it’s just a different ride. Relax the grip and she’ll tell you what’s needed. Loving it.

hypurone
08-25-2018, 10:48 AM
Oh boy, do I know what you are talking about! Me and my wingman went on a jaunt to my friends' shop about 2 hours from my place. All was well until we chose to take Highway 4 to avoid the 680 which had several delays due to accidents! Man that F***er was ROUGH! Beat the sh*t out of me and my injuries! :yikes: That was on Wed and here it is Sat, many dunkings in the hot tub/spa later, and I still almost couldn't get out of bed this AM.... :sour:

NuttyBuckeye
08-25-2018, 11:17 AM
Oh boy, do I know what you are talking about! Me and my wingman went on a jaunt to my friends' shop about 2 hours from my place. All was well until we chose to take Highway 4 to avoid the 680 which had several delays due to accidents! Man that F***er was ROUGH! Beat the sh*t out of me and my injuries! :yikes: That was on Wed and here it is Sat, many dunkings in the hot tub/spa later, and I still almost couldn't get out of bed this AM.... :sour:
Good to hear you’re on the mend. Hot tubs 👍

Jarred
08-25-2018, 12:09 PM
Same thing happened to me Nutty, but it was about 15 min after I headed out for vacation. Lucky for me I installed Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard the night before, but it was still nerve racking! Glad to hear you didn’t have any belt problems.

Same night i installed MBG I also installed Spyderpops BumpSkid. My wife and I just returned from a one night stay on Shelter Island NY. Yup...need to get there by ferry. If not for Bumpskid I’m sure I would of messed up my front end. Ferry ramps....not too forgiving.

I’ve also installed KOTT Grilles for protection...and look. Knock on wood, I don’t have a “thank God I installed KOTT..” .......stories...yet!
Happy rYding!
😎🕷

ARtraveler
08-25-2018, 01:10 PM
Unexpected road repairs can be bad. The one thing to worry about if you head up our way. There is always some construction along the Alcan. :yes:

NuttyBuckeye
08-26-2018, 12:14 PM
Unexpected road repairs can be bad. The one thing to worry about if you head up our way. There is always some construction along the Alcan. :yes:

Spent a short bit in Anchorage way back in the day. Never been on the AlCan, but know about it. Good advice.

NuttyBuckeye
08-26-2018, 12:17 PM
Same thing happened to me Nutty, but it was about 15 min after I headed out for vacation. Lucky for me I installed Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard the night before, but it was still nerve racking! Glad to hear you didn’t have any belt problems.

Same night i installed MBG I also installed Spyderpops BumpSkid. My wife and I just returned from a one night stay on Shelter Island NY. Yup...need to get there by ferry. If not for Bumpskid I’m sure I would of messed up my front end. Ferry ramps....not too forgiving.

I’ve also installed KOTT Grilles for protection...and look. Knock on wood, I don’t have a “thank God I installed KOTT..” .......stories...yet!
Happy rYding!
😎🕷

More good advice from the forum. There are islands off northern Ohio coast and plan to take me Spydie over just like I took my other bikes for a day trip. Next up on the farkle list.

LeftCoast
08-26-2018, 05:38 PM

Hyperone there really aren’t any good freeways here, they are a mess. Stretches of 680 Walnut Creek to Pleasanton can be ok but unless I need to get somewhere faster I often take the city streets. Hope you are feeling better.