PDA

View Full Version : Newbie questions

Jrod
08-24-2018, 07:58 AM
I’m looking at 2015 RT Limited. Owner states she had difficulties getting to speeds over 70 on hiway. She thought there maybe a governor to limit. I called dealer service advisor who said he had not heard of this. I thought I had seen something on forum regarding this and would appreciate some real world advice.

In addition, any thoughts on priorities of upgrades. Seemed to me sway bar and belt tensioning would be at top....

Thanks in advance!

Jrod
ATX

Easy Rider
08-24-2018, 08:06 AM
Of course that is not normal at all.

And I would advise NOT considering it as a good purchase unless and until that speed limitation problem gets fixed.

As for other mods......as needed only.

NONE of the most common "fixes" are needed by every owner.

Bob Denman
08-24-2018, 08:27 AM
ECO Mode is probably engaged... :dontknow:

Another possibility might be that she had trouble rotating the twist-grip throttle far enough...

Elliott 76065
08-24-2018, 08:39 AM
Do you know any local experienced Spyder owners/riders that would test ride this bike and evaluate it for you, if the current owner will allow that to happen to help with your decision?

[QUOTE=Jrod;1386511]I’m looking at 2015 RT Limited. Owner states she had difficulties getting to speeds over 70 on hiway. She thought there maybe a governor to limit. I called dealer service advisor who said he had not heard of this. I thought I had seen something on forum regarding this and would appreciate some real world advice.

In addition, any thoughts on priorities of upgrades. Seemed to me sway bar and belt tensioning would be at top....

Thanks in advance!

Jrod
ATX

4 MARIE
08-24-2018, 08:42 AM

Another possibility might be that she had trouble rotating the twist-grip throttle far enough...

as an ECO mode user, I'm sure that won't hold down your top speed. I do agree with Bob that probably
there is a loose nut between the bars and the seat.

Add ons ? You need to decide after you learn to ryde. If those two items you mentioned were a "have to"
don't you think they would already be there ?

stay safe and let's get into the three wheel world.

Jrod
08-24-2018, 09:04 AM

i was a good boy and did not bring the twist up as a possibility. I thought the eco mode was more of a suggestion not so much mechanical?
Jrod

MikeT
08-24-2018, 09:05 AM
Of course that is not normal at all.

And I would advise NOT considering it as a good purchase unless and until that speed limitation problem gets fixed.
:agree: You don't mention the mileage on the 2015. I have a 2015, and per the Owner's Manual, I have had it to my servicing dealer annually(3X). IF the owner has followed the OM, I wonder why she has not mentioned this problem to her dealer. Depending on the 2015 month of purchase, and/or unless she purchased the BEST(or any) extended warranty, the Spyder could be out of warranty.
Mike

Jrod
08-24-2018, 09:18 AM

I thought eco mode was more of a suggestion than mechanical rule?
I’m hoping grip strength played the biggest part....

Rondaa
08-24-2018, 09:21 AM
I’m looking at 2015 RT Limited. Owner states she had difficulties getting to speeds over 70 on hiway. She thought there maybe a governor to limit. I called dealer service advisor who said he had not heard of this. I thought I had seen something on forum regarding this and would appreciate some real world advice.

Thanks in advance!

Jrod
ATX
I WOULD MAKE SURE THAT THE SPEED PROBLEM IS FIXED BEFORE BUYING IT PARTS AND SERVICE ARE EXPENSIVE. AND MAKE SURE YOU BUY FOR A GOOD PRICE l bought A New f3s 4 months ago $19000 before Tax Trying to get $1500] no one is interested

Jrod
08-24-2018, 09:23 AM
:agree: You don't mention the mileage on the 2015. I have a 2015, and per the Owner's Manual, I have had it to my servicing dealer annually(3X). IF the owner has followed the OM, I wonder why she has not mentioned this problem to her dealer. Depending on the 2015 month of purchase, and/or unless she purchased the BEST(or any) extended warranty, the Spyder could be out of warranty.
Mike

1750 Miles
Extended warranty’s mechanical + tires
purchased new, dealer serviced she states.
I would ask pre purchase dealer check for contingent offer.

robhowen
08-24-2018, 09:40 AM
As others have said, nothing normal about being speed limited. Exercise Caution!!!

As to upgrades: I've spent over $8K on upgrades on my RT and I wish I had waited a good long time before I did anything as I think many were "just because" vs. actually needing them.

Rob

Pirate looks at --
08-24-2018, 10:04 AM
That motorcycle will go well over 100 mph. Perhaps she isn't aware that it has 6 gear!:roflblack::roflblack: That being said, I would take it to a dealer and have them check it out to make sure there is not something wrong!

Jrod
08-24-2018, 10:27 AM
As others have said, nothing normal about being speed limited. Exercise Caution!!!

As to upgrades: I've spent over $8K on upgrades on my RT and I wish I had waited a good long time before I did anything as I think many were "just because" vs. actually needing them.

Rob

Good advice sir. Thanks
Jrod

Chupaca
08-24-2018, 10:52 AM
These machines do have a Rev (RPM) limiter on them you may know it as the red line....Other than that there is no reason for it not to go well over a hundred other than the driver not being comfortable being there. There was only one time I ran into this problem and it was that there was an obstruction in the air intake and if you got on the gas it would limit the air intake. Not likely here. Good idea to test it yourself or have someone test it for you. Would not suspect any major problem with this machine....:thumbup:

DGoebel
08-24-2018, 10:56 AM
JRod, I'm thinking (if you want) you can hit 70/75 (I just went for a spin to check this) in 2nd gear, but if for instance she was already in 6th gear going 60 and just twisted the throttle it might "lug" a little as the starting RPM's would be very low. You might be able to ask her to be more specific about what she was doing when she "felt" that.
Some of the other triple riders here likely know the recommended RPM / gear ranges for speeds. I agree with the others that have said a properly maintained Spyder can easily get to 70 (assuming the proper gear/RPM usage).

AeroPilot
08-24-2018, 11:36 AM
Beep, Beep, BEEEP < BEEEEP!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enqNl7tdLR4

Bob Denman
08-24-2018, 12:36 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAGU8IHlOLI

ARtraveler
08-24-2018, 12:57 PM
All above are right on. Make sure you get it checked out before putting your money in. Most likely "scared pilot" syndrome. Should have no problems winding it past 100 (if you dare). :thumbup:

Bob Denman
08-24-2018, 01:11 PM
ECO Mode slows down the throttle response, and (I think!) it also limits you to about 60% of full-throttle...
Whenever I tried it out: the bike felt sluggish, and it was VERY noticeable! :shocked:

bhern
08-24-2018, 01:24 PM

Rob

Other than "Practice, practice, practice..."

I'm about to embark upon my first round and I am willingly reaching for the wallet to do so, but I'm not seeing $8,000 as even a possible destination! :-)

Bob Denman
08-24-2018, 01:26 PM
Eight thousand in Farkles is a nice start... :clap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99lyU5N--f8

I have over 5K added to my 2018, and it's only 6 Months old!
My 2010 had 10K, and my 2014 had 9K on them...
And if the Missus sees this: I'll deny ALL of it! :D

Jrod
08-24-2018, 10:33 PM
JRod, I'm thinking (if you want) you can hit 70/75 (I just went for a spin to check this) in 2nd gear, but if for instance she was already in 6th gear going 60 and just twisted the throttle it might "lug" a little as the starting RPM's would be very low. You might be able to ask her to be more specific about what she was doing when she "felt" that.
Some of the other triple riders here likely know the recommended RPM / gear ranges for speeds. I agree with the others that have said a properly maintained Spyder can easily get to 70 (assuming the proper gear/RPM usage).

She said she had a rider on back and could not get over 70 ....”all my friends left me in the dust”. I will make some inquiries to her. She mentioned hearing of governor is why I was asking as I had never heard before.
Thanks foe help.
JRod

Hecam17
08-25-2018, 06:12 AM
my 2015 RT will do well over 80, uphill, riding 2up, and were both plus size models, ;) ok maybe the model part is a stretch.
I am only aware of 1 thing thing that would "govern" the speed- Limp Home Mode. In corners VSS (Orange lizard on dash) will slow you down to keep 3 wheels on the ground but it's just momentary. Good Luck

ricford
08-25-2018, 08:10 AM
Other than "Practice, practice, practice..."

I'm about to embark upon my first round and I am willingly reaching for the wallet to do so, but I'm not seeing $8,000 as even a possible destination! :-)

I'm at 10K and it's hard to even see where it went. Fortunately, I made a list each mod with price so.. lots of upgrades...

ARtraveler
08-25-2018, 01:54 PM
Eight thousand in Farkles is a nice start... :clap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99lyU5N--f8

I have over 5K added to my 2018, and it's only 6 Months old!
My 2010 had 10K, and my 2014 had 9K on them...
And if the Missus sees this: I'll deny ALL of it! :D

I thought I was pushing the limits on my 2008 and 2009 with $6K worth of farkles on each. You outdid me. :bowdown::bowdown: I have been much more conservative on the 2010, 2011, and 2014.

blitzkreig
08-29-2018, 06:33 PM
Owner states she had difficulties getting to speeds over 70 on hiway.
Was she a very big lass ... as in 300 plus pounds? 😬

Peter Aawen
08-29-2018, 08:54 PM
ECO Mode slows down the throttle response, and (I think!) it also limits you to about 60% of full-throttle...
Whenever I tried it out: the bike felt sluggish, and it was VERY noticeable! :shocked:

:agree: Jrod, there is a chart put out by BRP that's been posted here on the Forum at least a couple of times comparing the retarded response & full-throttle limitation of ECO mode with the 'normal' throttle response, so it's probably worth asking more about what she actually meant with that insight... And if she didn't have ECO mode on at the time, then maybe there is something else going on, either with the Spyder or the Ryder :shocked: I reckon it'd be smart to work out which before buying a potential problem! ;)

al0vely
08-30-2018, 02:00 AM

Thanks in advance!

Jrod
ATX

Can you get a test drive before buying?

No upgrades required - just ryde. It cracks me up that some people think they need to buy a Spyder and spend thousands before they ryde - just ryde. As you ryde you may come up with convenience mods that will make you happy. If you ryde 3K miles per year you will want different mods than someone who rydes 20k miles per year.

Bob Denman
08-30-2018, 08:57 AM
:opps:… It just sort of happened... :dontknow: