PDA

View Full Version : Doing own brakes

Fjrwillie
08-23-2018, 09:17 PM
Own 2015 RTS. Thinking about having my motorcycle mechanic do both front and rear brakes on Spyder. He is well versed in doing those 2 wheel things and cars as well. Any special considerations for the Spyder that I can give him a heads up on

Willie

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-23-2018, 10:20 PM
Own 2015 RTS. Thinking about having my motorcycle mechanic do both front and rear brakes on Spyder. He is well versed in doing those 2 wheel things and cars as well. Any special considerations for the Spyder that I can give him a heads up on

Willie.... He may already do this ..... but maybe not - so when He shuts off the Spyder ....DO NOT SET THE PARKING BRAKE , just let it beep for 10 seconds , it will stop beeping ..... You have the AUTO Rear Air bag ... the metal lever ( I believe it's just over the swing Arm or just under the swing Arm ) must be dis-connected first ....At the disc brake their is a sensor that reads the plate .... be very careful not to mis-align it ...... others will chime in and make corrections if I got this mixed up ..... ( but I think my info is valid - I did my brakes ) ..... Mike :thumbup:

cptjam
08-23-2018, 10:30 PM
On the rear, use a set of needle nose pliers to push in the piston while turning clockwise. I did a set today. Push hard. There are 2 divots in the piston face.
Use a wire brush to clean off the old locktite on the mounting bolts. Apply new.
There is a small wire clip that holds the pin that holds the pads. Remove clip before the pin is removed. It is a #30 torx on the pin. Pretty straightforward. If your mechanic has a question, call me. Number below. Joe

Bfromla
08-24-2018, 02:26 AM
:agree: & FYI BaJaRon provides a great set of instructions with his well priced pads:2thumbs:
there is a clip that is easily overlooked on the inside of caliper that can be pulled into bolt area if not removed the bolt/pin will just spin:banghead: may be same pin Joe is talking about:dontknow: .
Also good idea to remove any excess dust you may find with compressed air or rag :lecturef_smilie: not too aggressive cleaning & watch out for the sensor:yikes: