PDA

View Full Version : Bob D., food question.....

wyliec
08-14-2018, 04:50 PM
We were up in your neck of the woods yesterday. I say your neck of the woods because New Baltimore is closer to you. We had dinner at the boat house grille. On the menu was a combination chicken and waffle. Is that a dish specific to that area? I did try it, and the chicken (dark meat), and waffle were good; just wondering why that is a combination.

Bob Denman
08-14-2018, 05:07 PM
:D Chicken & Waffles is a New York City thing... nojoke
It sort of came out of the jazz musicians playing to early into the mornings, that they didn't know if they wanted to eat a dinner; or a breakfast. :dontknow:
So they ate both! :thumbup:

ARtraveler
08-14-2018, 08:28 PM
Also thought chicken and waffles is a southern cuisine. They show a lot of it on DDD from "down there." And...red velvet cake.

bhern
08-14-2018, 10:19 PM
:D Chicken & Waffles is a New York City thing... nojoke
It sort of came out of the jazz musicians playing to early into the mornings, that they didn't know if they wanted to eat a dinner; or a breakfast. :dontknow:
So they ate both! :thumbup:

You're right about how it was popularized, but chicken and waffles has its American origins in the Pennsylvania Dutch country back in the 1600s, and more or less contemporaneously chicken and quick bread (biscuits, hoecakes, and ultimately waffles) were a standard on southern plantations. There's a school of thought that points to Thomas Jefferson as popularizing it after returning from France with a waffle iron (fried chicken and ham were common breakfast items in Virginia and points south already).

Whatever the origin, it's finger lickin' good, that's for sure.

Chupaca
08-14-2018, 10:39 PM
It's pretty popular around here though the closest I got was Lay's Chicken and Waffle potato chips...:sour:

Bob Denman
08-15-2018, 07:24 AM
"It sort of came out of the jazz musicians playing..." :D

I'll stand by my version of how it became popular. Besides: I'm too young; to remember the 1600s! :roflblack:

But thanks for filling in the information about the origins of the cuisine! :bowdown: :clap:

Motorcycledave
08-15-2018, 05:37 PM

Two cats
08-15-2018, 07:05 PM
that's why bacon comes precooked in the grocery store. For the millennials to heat up in the microwave. Don't you know.

Bob Denman
08-16-2018, 06:45 AM

ARtraveler
08-16-2018, 02:29 PM
It's pretty popular around here though the closest I got was Lay's Chicken and Waffle potato chips...:sour:

Those "Lays" special edition chips were about as gross as they get. We tried two of the several flavors the last go around--both ended up in the garbage after a couple chips. :yes::yes:

We are NOT trying any more of those. :roflblack::roflblack: