PDA

View Full Version : How to start the journey

frj322
08-08-2018, 11:00 AM
Good morning all,
First post on the forum and I'm looking for some advice on how to begin my journey into the world of the Spyder. A little background to start, my wife has always ridden motorcycles and, after getting rid of hers prior to our meeting 7 years ago, she's decided she wants to ride again (I've never ridden). We bought two new Honda Rebel 500s and I'm just not picking up the two-wheel feeling, it's not for me. Took a class and got nowhere, it's just too much for me to process. She's decided she doesn't want to ride alone so, enter the Spyder. Our desire is to take our two brand-new Rebels and attempt to strike a deal on a Spyder to share individually and ride two-up as well. There is an upcoming class soon in our area called the "Can-Am rider education experience" and, in our state, it's a license waiver course so it will teach us both how to ride.
Any advice on how to begin the journey?

Thanks in avance...
Frank

robhowen
08-08-2018, 11:27 AM
Sounds like you have begun the journey! Taking the riding course is an excellent idea. Your wife may find getting used to the Spyder more difficult than you since she has ridden 2-wheeled bikes for some time. I've never met any 2-wheeler that didn't pretty quickly adapt to the differences in 3 wheels. After your class I suggest you get as much seat time as possible, which means you'll probably go shopping. I'd encourage you to get the latest model you can afford.

The best to you,
Rob

Any advice on how to begin the journey?

d.o.spyder-rts
08-08-2018, 12:35 PM
:agree: take the course. That way you'll fine out if riding a trike is for you. Then you can begin your search for a spyder. I would suggest a 2014 and above because they have the 1330 ACE engine a big improvement over the v-twin. I would also suggest reading the do's and don'ts for new spyder riders. It can be found in the forum under the general discussion tab. Good luck. Dale

frj322
08-08-2018, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the replies so far folks.
Is there any reason the newer engine is preferred over the old? Does the old have reliability concerns? Financially speaking it will probably come down to an older model is the reason I'm asking.

Bob Denman
08-08-2018, 12:54 PM
:welcome:
The 1330 triples have quite a few areas, in which they outperforms the old 998 twins.
Maintenance is GREATLY reduced.
There's no valve adjustments needed... EVER!
Oil usage is a non-issue. (The 998s like to use oil in-between changes...)
They get much better fuel mileage.
They operate at much lower rpm levels
The hydraulically operated engagement clutches are a vast improvement over the older centrifugal versions
Hot air isn't being blown right onto the rider's right leg.
They're faster, and they accelerate quicker

Other than that: there's not much difference! :roflblack:

d.o.spyder-rts
08-08-2018, 01:03 PM
You have to keep in mind spyders are machines and any machine can have its issues. I've owned a 998 (v-twin) and had an ecm issue with it. There are some that have experienced no issues with the v-twins. That being said, the 1330 engine has three cylinders instead of two. There is a longer time span between required maintenance with the 1330's and they get better gas mileage. I'm sure you'll get more opinions.

Pirate looks at --
08-08-2018, 01:09 PM
What Bob said about 1330 Vs 998! Make sure that when you take the course that you have the chance to ryde different models to get the feel for the different ryding positions. Don't lock yourself to just one as the front seat of theses things gets pretty crowded. Ask on this forum questions about dealerships in your area to get a feel of who will be best to work with, and who has the best service department. Test drive the models at the dealership, and remember, if yiu buy 2 at once you might get a better deal!

ARtraveler
08-08-2018, 01:41 PM
Welcome to the site: :welcome:

1330 Vs 998. What Bob said.

Less maintenance, smoother low rev operation, about 10 mpg better than the 998.

2014 or above will get you a 1330. 2014 RT's are being offered for sale in the $15K ballpark. Lots of ads around the site. Due diligence can find you a good vehicle at a good price.

Recommend RT over F3 configuration if you are going to do a lot of two up riding. The RT is more comfortable for that.

I have both 998 and 1330 RT's. The F3 does not work for ME.

When it comes time to buy--make sure you test them out. I do recommend testing both the RT and F3. The one YOU like, is the one that counts.

Good luck on your hunt. :yes:

loisk
08-08-2018, 05:52 PM
OR if $ allows - buy a used spyder for you, and your wife can keep her two wheels for a while - until she sees how much fun you're having on a spyder anyway!

frj322
08-09-2018, 06:40 AM
Thanks for all the replies so far folks.
Not knowing a whole lot about these I'm sure I'll have lots of questions along the way. I'm assuming all Spyders are designed for two riders, its just a matter of comfort. Is this correct? Finances are going to dictate us looking to keep the purchase below the $10,000 mark so it's looking like the original drivetrain with the two cylinder engine is where we'll end up. Do these things have a mileage limit where they're just "worn out"? When I was younger cars became disposable at 100,000 miles but now a quarter million miles is the norm. How long do Spyders last?

al0vely
08-09-2018, 08:29 AM
Thanks for all the replies so far folks.
Not knowing a whole lot about these I'm sure I'll have lots of questions along the way. I'm assuming all Spyders are designed for two riders, its just a matter of comfort. Is this correct? Finances are going to dictate us looking to keep the purchase below the $10,000 mark so it's looking like the original drivetrain with the two cylinder engine is where we'll end up. Do these things have a mileage limit where they're just "worn out"? When I was younger cars became disposable at 100,000 miles but now a quarter million miles is the norm. How long do Spyders last?

$10k could get you a used F3 if you shop around - which is what I would do as opposed to getting an RT with a 998 engine.

If the RT is your preferred I would get the best configured one I could for my budget.

I also agree with a previous poster - maybe let your wife keep the 2 wheels if that is her comfort level and you enjoy the Spyder so both can ride their own.

Bob Denman
08-09-2018, 08:34 AM
$26,000 could get you a REALLY nice used RT-L... nojoke
I know a guy who has a 10th Anniversary Special Edition for sale...

Floridian2017
08-09-2018, 09:07 AM
There is a speculation that BRP is coming up with a cheaper version of Spyder. If you can, wait until after September. Also, the majority of people who rode motorcycles in the past will not ride in the back. They want to feel the action. Spyders are fun.

frj322
08-09-2018, 09:25 AM
Interesting about the September time-frame. Our class is September 8-9 so we wouldn't be shopping till then. Where did you hear about the cheaper version? My wife is a very special woman, she really doesn't want to ride alone and would rather get rid of her two-wheeler and share the Spyder (during the week) and ride on the back on the weekend than ride the two-wheeler alone. She knows I'll never get two wheels down and wants me to be comfortable and us to do something together.

al0vely
08-09-2018, 09:52 AM
Interesting about the September time-frame. Our class is September 8-9 so we wouldn't be shopping till then. Where did you hear about the cheaper version? My wife is a very special woman, she really doesn't want to ride alone and would rather get rid of her two-wheeler and share the Spyder (during the week) and ride on the back on the weekend than ride the two-wheeler alone. She knows I'll never get two wheels down and wants me to be comfortable and us to do something together.

I hope you are patient with the Spyder purchase - it seems like you had an expensive mistake in purchasing the 2 Honda 500's before you know if it was your thing. I have found motorcycles are not always that easy to unload and not lose a bunch if you are in a hurry - Spyder or not! I feel like I lost a few $$ on my V-Star when I sold it a year after getting my Spyder because no one was willing to pay what I thought it was worth although it was substantially less than what a dealer would ask for the same bike.

I purchased a 2014 RTS from this site for $11k in March which I feel was a great deal - but it was with patience that I found that deal.

frj322
08-09-2018, 11:04 AM
You're absolutely right, the two wheelers were an expensive mistake (although a great deal was had by getting two at once, and even better for paying cash). It will take patience to unload and I'm sure I'll end up taking a loss.

Highwayman2013
08-09-2018, 11:30 AM
We had a 2012 RTL before we got the 2016 F3L. A 2012 is about the best sorted of the early RT's but the 2013 model has better brakes but had a heat issue which was taken care of with a recall. For starting out on a budget look for a lower mileage 2012. Oil changes are at 4,600 mile intervals and you must keep the v-twin around 5,000 rpm to keep it in it's zone. You may be able to get a deal on a manual shift model but the semi Automatic worked well for us. Good luck in your search.

frj322
08-10-2018, 09:41 AM
Thanks again folks for the info so far.
What I'm learning is the large difference is seating position between the F and RT models, is this correct? Is there a comparison chart somewhere that breaks all this down by year and feature? Had a lengthy discussion with the wife last night and I'm thinking, for what we'll use it for, the RT would be most comfortable for 2 people but... see pictures of the F models with backrests on them. Very confusing indeed.

loisk
08-10-2018, 07:12 PM
You and your wife absolutely must take long test rides on each model - the ergonomics are very different - with each taking a turn at driver/pillion.

vienna7475
08-10-2018, 09:12 PM
Regardless of which model you buy you need to set aside about $288 dollars for a BajaRon Anti Sway Bar or other good quality anti sway bar as your first upgrade. I say this for improved ride and especially safety. I've ridden bikes for 50 years and the spyder made me nervous a couple times in turns. When you go to set your line for the curve the factory sway bar can cause the bike to kind of sway back unexpectedly. The upgraded sway bar will hold a good solid line and not give you surprises. It also helps A LOT on the interstate with wind buffeting from other vehicles. It will be a purchase you will be glad you made. If you will be test riding different bikes try to find one where the sway bar has been upgraded so you can compare to see what I mean.

jstjohnz
08-11-2018, 07:37 AM
Maybe it’s premature to give up on the Honda. Perhaps some one on one training would get you past whatever issues you were having. The reality is that your wife may not like the Spyder. Hard to describe but you ride a 2 wheeler, you drive a car. The Spyder is somewhere in between

a class may not be the best way to decide if the Spyder is for you. A good test ride is better.

ned64
08-11-2018, 10:25 AM
Take the course. Get the waiver for your license. You'll have an instructor at the course to help you with things you need to know an explain what they see your doing wrong. You will get some feeling for how a Spyder feels and handles. Most dealers are not going to let you test drive a Spyder out on the road without a license. Since you want to ride together like some have said, you ride a Spyder if your comfortable with it an wife rides her motorcycle. If she likes the Spyder an wants to ride with you on it or drive it all the better. Hope your journey with a Spyder leads to many new an fun adventures an lots of new friends.

PrairieSpyder
08-11-2018, 01:44 PM

:welcome:

There were rumors, and now I think they'll pretty solid that BRP has been developing a less-expensive model to debut for the 2019 model year. We don't know much else about it as of now, though. The models will be announced in the fall, usually for delivery in the winter.

frj322
08-12-2018, 11:37 AM
Thanks again everyone!
Looks like the plan is going to be to take the course in a couple of weeks and get the first on-Spyder experience and evaluate things from there. Really no way to even test drive one before then (for me anyway). We'll see what happens after that.

Little Blue
08-12-2018, 02:07 PM
YES, that is a good PLAN. Hopefully, you can get TIPS on issues with riding. Good Luck :thumbup: