PDA

View Full Version : Boot question

roguesquad
08-04-2018, 08:10 PM
So wanted to see what kind of boots folks recommend on the spyder. I have a pair of Milwaukee's, but they are so heavy and not all day comfortable. Wanted to get some preferably not super pricey recommendations.

Tango
08-04-2018, 09:05 PM
Bates makes a wide variety of boots. Check the clearance section. I got boots for $50, free shipping. :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

ARtraveler
08-04-2018, 09:06 PM
I have one set of heavy duty engineer boots. They might be Milwaukee. Been riding with them for 20 plus years. They are now on their second set of soles.

Also have a pair of Wellingtons with the zipper up the side. Have gone back to wearing them again this year. Not as heavy.

I am a boot person when it comes to riding any M/C. :thumbup:

Also have a pair of SIVI which are waterproof.

Brentc
08-05-2018, 04:45 AM
I picked up a pair of Alpinestar fastback waterproof riding shoes which are like a short boot. I also have a pair of the CanAm leather boots. I’ve only used the Alpinestar as they are so comfortable on longer trips.

SpyderConvert
08-05-2018, 06:42 AM
I have a pair of Chippewas (sp?) that I have had for years. Leather-lined and velcro closure. Very comfortable for all-day wear, but a little too warm for hot weather.

Bob Denman
08-05-2018, 07:24 AM
BRP's RT Touring boots are comfortable, and have kept my feet dry through more than their fair share of "Toad-Strangling" Storms! :thumbup:

Arion
08-05-2018, 08:54 AM
Bates makes a wide variety of boots. Check the clearance section. I got boots for $50, free shipping. :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

I have several pairs of Bates and like them very much. Although not specifically motorcycle boots, their tactical line is excellent. They're well made, lightweight, comfortable and offer good support. They also don't make you look like you should be out in the forest chopping down trees. ;)

Petrom714
08-05-2018, 09:18 AM
my legs dont work that good--if anyone knows shoes that are lightweight and where they open up widely to get my foot in--instead of a tight squeeze with laces--please let me know--i would sacrifice max protection for comfort and ease of putting them on and off

So wanted to see what kind of boots folks recommend on the spyder. I have a pair of Milwaukee's, but they are so heavy and not all day comfortable. Wanted to get some preferably not super pricey recommendations.

Jarred
08-05-2018, 09:54 AM
my legs dont work that good--if anyone knows shoes that are lightweight and where they open up widely to get my foot in--instead of a tight squeeze with laces--please let me know--i would sacrifice max protection for comfort and ease of putting them on and off

About a month ago I bought Sketchers Wide Fit sneakers and casual dress shoes. Most comfortable shoes I’ve ever owned! No laces-easy to put on, good looking and extremely comfortable. I believe they make those in boots also. I’m gonna check soon and most likely buy them-if they have the protection I want (but I believe they do). It’s the shoe that Howie Long does the commercial. “It’s like first class for your feet”. Lol. Give them I try, I’m glad I did.
😎🕷

lclowe0808
08-05-2018, 10:34 AM

I wear a pair of Columbia boots. They are super comfy for walking around a park when I’m out riding (or I change into a pair of athletic shoes for walking).

Big Juice
08-05-2018, 11:22 AM
About a month ago I bought Sketchers Wide Fit sneakers and casual dress shoes. Most comfortable shoes I’ve ever owned! No laces-easy to put on, good looking and extremely comfortable. I believe they make those in boots also. I’m gonna check soon and most likely buy them-if they have the protection I want (but I believe they do). It’s the shoe that Howie Long does the commercial. “It’s like first class for your feet”. Lol. Give them I try, I’m glad I did.
����
Plus one on Sketchers, for my every day rides.......when I get on the road I use Bilt (Cycle Gear) waterproof boots. Both work well for me.

Two cats
08-05-2018, 12:40 PM
I have a pair of Cowboy riders I wear when it's going to rain. Plus I use a pair of boot covers. Most the time I wear sketches walking shoes.

L_r_g
08-05-2018, 05:33 PM
I wear Klim Outlander's. They're waterproof and super comfy, they're described as a combination m/c and hiking boot.

I've ridden with other, non m/c boots and agree they're more comfortable, but believe that in most cases, m/c specific boots will offer you more protection as they're designed to protect your feet in a crash whereas work/hiking/etc boots are not.

Motorcycledave
08-05-2018, 05:40 PM
I got mine from Cycle Gear for around $60.00 worth every penny
Ride Safe
Dave

SpyderSteveFL
08-05-2018, 06:06 PM
Look for a boot with a side zipper. I have Bates boots from working with the Fire Department/CERT, they are gore tex waterproof, composite toe and side zipper. They are very comfortable, protective and very easy on/off. Similar to THESE (https://www.amazon.com/Bates-GTX-Ultra-Lites-Uniform/dp/B000QZI5B0/ref=sr_1_5?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1533510193&sr=1-5&nodeID=679307011&psd=1&keywords=bates+boots+composite+toe&refinements=p_n_size_five_browse-vebin%3A3232501011%2Cp_89%3ABates&psc=1&dpID=41fn289-qqL&preST=_SY395_QL70_&dpSrc=srch)...

IdahoMtnSpyder
08-05-2018, 06:27 PM
Maybe this is the answer for you, lace in boot zippers. https://www.thorogoodusa.com/product-category/accessories/page/2/. I use the 10 eye one on my Hathorn work boots. The boot opens wide to put my foot in and then zips up snug. After I zip them up I tie the laces. Works great. Firefighters use zipper boots so they can get them on quickly.

Here's a video showing how they work. Kind of long but shows them really well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytp_5nSYY9w

J48cruiser
08-05-2018, 11:54 PM
I wear Klim Outlander's. They're waterproof and super comfy, they're described as a combination m/c and hiking boot.

I've ridden with other, non m/c boots and agree they're more comfortable, but believe that in most cases, m/c specific boots will offer you more protection as they're designed to protect your feet in a crash whereas work/hiking/etc boots are not.

I JUST GOT A PAIR OF KLIM OUTLAND BOOTS MYSELF GREAT BOOT GORE-TECK AND D30 ARMOUR WHAT COULB BE BETTER

PaladinLV
08-06-2018, 12:14 AM
Maybe it's the retired military in me but
https://www.batesfootwear.com/US/en/11%22-paratrooper-side-zip-boot/018469188627.html?CAWELAID=120144250000032093&CID=BAN-Prospecting-Social-BatesProspecting_DABA+NEW-BatesProspecting_DABA_NoStatic

AJ

Bfromla
08-06-2018, 03:36 AM
:thumbup: No problem the above mentioned Bates has several with normal lace & zippers along the inside of boot. Several brands are picking it up. I'm currently alternating between Day five for my casual/dress164368164369& magnum 164370 if looks like rain. Plus just to help make them last longer (mine lucky to last a year) had some Bates they were good, but I ended up tearing the inside heals out(improper & lazy removal) these others were gifts & are doing well think were found at rack room.

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
08-06-2018, 07:05 AM
bought my stylmartin's this year, really comfortable, i wear them even when not riding.

Flanker
08-07-2018, 11:47 AM
I wear Blackhawk's LE/Emergency Services boot. Not really made for riding, but they are the most comfortable boots I've ever worn when I get off the bike/trike.

https://uspatriottactical.com/blackhawk-warrior-wear-black-ops-boots/?msclkid=2a73b8140cfa11fbb265e37dc0758123&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=(ROI)%20DSA%20Bing&utm_term=boots&utm_content=Military%20Boots

They're six years old, and I hope to replace them with Gaerne's G Adventure boot next year.

https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/gaerne-g-adventure-boot-black/

newbert
08-07-2018, 02:09 PM
Sorry to hijack this thread - but why wear boots at all on a Spyder? Not trying to be difficult, but I'd like to know if there's a good reason. I always thought a reason for wearing boots on a 2-wheeler was to help prevent turning an ankle when putting your foot down when coming to a stop. - But that doesn't apply to a Spyder.

FWIW - I generally wear a pair if Merrill sneakers when ryding. Maybe in the colder weather, I'll switch to hiking boots, but I don't ryde when it's really cold anyway.

So can someone explain to me the purpose of wearing boots when ryding a Spyder?

Thanks!

ARtraveler
08-07-2018, 02:23 PM
It's a matter of personal tastes.

I wear boots because I like the extra ankle support (a carryover from my two wheel riding--which I still do).

One pair--has steel toes. Extra protection.

I like the look of boots when paired with a bike of any kind.

I also have three pair of "nice" western boots. Which I usually wear on "other" occasions. To nice for bike riding--don't want them to get marked up.

Have shoes--but hardly wear them. Still look like new after about 18 years ago when I bought four pair of new ones.

Personally, I feel "naked" when wearing anything other than boots for riding.

Those that like shoes or similar--that's your personal taste. No problem for me. :yes:

IdahoMtnSpyder
08-07-2018, 04:57 PM
Sorry to hijack this thread - but why wear boots at all on a Spyder? Not trying to be difficult, but I'd like to know if there's a good reason. I always thought a reason for wearing boots on a 2-wheeler was to help prevent turning an ankle when putting your foot down when coming to a stop. - But that doesn't apply to a Spyder.

FWIW - I generally wear a pair if Merrill sneakers when ryding. Maybe in the colder weather, I'll switch to hiking boots, but I don't ryde when it's really cold anyway.

So can someone explain to me the purpose of wearing boots when ryding a Spyder?

Thanks!
To protect your feet in the unlikely event you crash. If you're wearing sneakers and go skidding down the pavement with your legs doubled up under your body or trapped under your bike you might not have any feet left at the end. Wear boots and you'll still have healthy feet for the next crash! And don't think it can't happen. I dare say everyone on a m/c who was killed by not wearing a helmet also said it'll never happen to them.

IdahoMtnSpyder
08-07-2018, 05:06 PM
Sorry to hijack this thread - but why wear boots at all on a Spyder? Not trying to be difficult, but I'd like to know if there's a good reason.
Please read this post: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?114157-Accident-Prayers-needed&p=1382960&viewfull=1#post1382960

Deanna777
08-07-2018, 05:25 PM
I wear leather boots over the ankle when riding my spyder.

What does everyone wear over there boots when it is raining/or if they get caught in the rain when riding on there spyder?

I can not wear rubber boots( due to health issue).

Deanna

newbert
08-07-2018, 06:24 PM
To protect your feet in the unlikely event you crash. If you're wearing sneakers and go skidding down the pavement with your legs doubled up under your body or trapped under your bike you might not have any feet left at the end. Wear boots and you'll still have healthy feet for the next crash! And don't think it can't happen. I dare say everyone on a m/c who was killed by not wearing a helmet also said it'll never happen to them.

Please read this post: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?114157-Accident-Prayers-needed&p=1382960&viewfull=1#post1382960

After reading this, I'm convinced. Gotta get me some boots. Thanks!

Flamewinger
08-07-2018, 06:36 PM
I ride with hiking boots that are waterproof. Mammut's, La Sportiva's and Oboz'. All are waterproof and I don't have to swap them when I want to walk around. The Oboz are thin enough to get under the shifter if you have a manual. There are hiking/skiing gaters that can be worn to protect the upper leg if you don't want to wear rain suits.

SteveLaoyster
08-07-2018, 06:41 PM
Red Wing makes some nice boots with a composite toe. It's lighter than any of the other toe protection.

GOZFST
08-07-2018, 07:40 PM
I wear the CruiserWorks side zip boots, I've had a pair of their short ones for over 15 years, had them resoled once and they're very comfortable riding or walking around.
https://www.cruiserworks.com/Products/Footwear/CruiserWorks-Men-s-Side-Zip-Boots.aspx

IdahoMtnSpyder
08-07-2018, 07:44 PM
If you, like me, have wide feet as in 3E, your selection of boots shrinks dramatically. For example, Bates boots linked to above, has no boots in 8 1/2 3E size. Neither does Red Wing nor Harley Davidson. In order to get a pull-on 8 1/2 EEE motorcycle boot I had to order custom made boots from West Coast Shoe Company. With custom size, expedited build, and shipping charges added the price tag came up to $900. But I'll never have to buy another pair of m/c boots; maybe not even if I ever crash they are so well made with thick leather! :thumbup:

Some companies advertise W width. That's equivalent to E, not EEE.

roguesquad
08-07-2018, 08:08 PM
Thanks for all the great advice, side zippers are almost a necessity for me cause I wear a 12-13 depending on fit, and semi wide. The milwaukees are ok but so heavy and not great if I ride to work or for a long ride day. Debating https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/bilt-pro-tourer-waterproof-boots

blitzkreig
08-07-2018, 09:18 PM
Thanks for all the great advice, side zippers are almost a necessity for me cause I wear a 12-13 depending on fit, and semi wide. The milwaukees are ok but so heavy and not great if I ride to work or for a long ride day. Debating https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/bilt-pro-tourer-waterproof-bootsBe careful that they don't also mean that the boot will be "air proof" as well. A good Goretex (or similar) lined boot will be quite pricey ... if you want waterproof.

Pirate looks at --
08-07-2018, 11:35 PM
I was going to site that as well. If you have an accident at 60 mph you need all the protection you can get. Those Air Jordan's are not going to cut it. Sadly this is the attitude of many Spyder Ryders. I don't ryde with them very often, but we have one couple in our group that routinely ryde with flip-flops, and shorts! I don't like to ryde with them because I don't want to clean up the mess!

Pirate looks at --
08-07-2018, 11:37 PM
Be careful that they don't also mean that the boot will be "air proof" as well. A good Goretex (or similar) lined boot will be quite pricey ... if you want waterproof.
Pricey is right, but my feet are very important to me, so the TCX Gortex boots that I wear are worth every penny!

Peteoz
08-08-2018, 12:17 AM
I have several pairs of Bates and like them very much. Although not specifically motorcycle boots, their tactical line is excellent. They're well made, lightweight, comfortable and offer good support. They also don't make you look like you should be out in the forest chopping down trees. ;)

I’m with you, Arion. Bates are the only company I have found that make Goretex boots with laces for adjustability and a zipper for ease of access in Size 15 4xw.

Mind you, they only make one model, and it cost a lot to get them shipped to Oz, but they are worth it.

Pete

GaryinWI
08-08-2018, 08:40 PM
Highly recommended!

roguesquad
08-15-2018, 08:25 PM
So with all the bates recommendations was debating https://www.amazon.com/Bates-Ultra-Lites-Inches-Tactical-Side-Zip/dp/B000A1GVZW/ref=pd_sim_309_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00814TYAE&pd_rd_r=c9c4cade-a0f1-11e8-bf34-b57b636846dc&pd_rd_w=KKaUH&pd_rd_wg=61ArZ&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=a180fdfb-b54e-4904-85ba-d852197d6c09&pf_rd_r=5T2MWN14Y45BFEC2K9Y4&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&refRID=5T2MWN14Y45BFEC2K9Y4&th=1&psc=1

My 990
08-15-2018, 09:01 PM

I purchased a pair of Black Maelstrom tactical 8" lace front and side zipper for riding off EBAY. They are water proof and very comfortable. Probably not the most trending Spyder riding boots, but for a very affordable $49 dollars I was very happy with the purchase...MD in SC

roguesquad
08-15-2018, 09:57 PM
Hmm now not sure if I want to get the bates or the maelstroms

johnv50
08-16-2018, 06:59 AM
I have a pair of Skechers Men's Work Rockland Hooper SR. Very comfortable, easy on off, and an aggressive tread. When wet they dry quickly.

johnv