PDA

View Full Version : Brake replacement

viperryder
08-04-2018, 06:33 AM
I have a 2014 RTS SE6 and will be changing the brakes myself, when they arrive from BahaRon. First I have some questions. Rear brake, I have seen on Spyderlovers to jack up the Spyder to allow room to get at the top bolt of calipers, no problem. When doing the rear brakes, do you disengage the parking brake and if you do will the beeper stop or just keep going? Also, if you disconnect the parking brake, how does one do this, not doing it before. I have seen the you tube videos on this but the individual does not address the parking brake question. I feel I will not have any problem with the front brakes as they are very similar to auto brakes. Have done that many times. Another question. The two containers, under the seat for brakes. Is the front one for the front brakes and the back for the rear brakes? I know these are a lot of questions, but I don't want to screw up this brake change and have to have it transported to a dealer to get corrected. This site is fabulous and I know it will come through with my answers. Thanks.

Mikey
08-04-2018, 07:06 AM
When you get your brakes from Ron he puts in a sheet of instructions, things to do to the pads to make them preform better, I would take the time and do most of the items on that sheet. As far as jacking the bike up , I put mine on jack stands and found that that worked great for me and it was safe to do what ever I wanted. Yes the alarm will shut off after a min or so when you take the E brake off. If you have some dealings with doing brakes you'll do fine, good luck watch the videos, rock on!!:popcorn:

Road-Kill
08-04-2018, 08:04 AM
Do your sanity and wallet a favor and bring it to the dealer.
I just had my brakes replaced @ 27,000 miles and only did so because I was replacing all my tires.

I have a 2014 RTS SE6 and will be changing the brakes myself, when they arrive from BahaRon. First I have some questions. Rear brake, I have seen on Spyderlovers to jack up the Spyder to allow room to get at the top bolt of calipers, no problem. When doing the rear brakes, do you disengage the parking brake and if you do will the beeper stop or just keep going? Also, if you disconnect the parking brake, how does one do this, not doing it before. I have seen the you tube videos on this but the individual does not address the parking brake question. I feel I will not have any problem with the front brakes as they are very similar to auto brakes. Have done that many times. Another question. The two containers, under the seat for brakes. Is the front one for the front brakes and the back for the rear brakes? I know these are a lot of questions, but I don't want to screw up this brake change and have to have it transported to a dealer to get corrected. This site is fabulous and I know it will come through with my answers. Thanks.

Highwayman2013
08-04-2018, 08:28 AM
Yes you must release the park brake. The beeping will stop after 30 seconds. To install new pads on the rear the piston must be screwed into the caliper. I used needle nose pliers, if that isn't good enough Bajaron sells a tool for that. I believe the rear of the brake reservoir is for the front brakes and front for the rear. To disconnect the park brake cable you loosen the cable adjustment nut at the caliper.

JayBros
08-04-2018, 09:14 AM
I sort of agree with Road-Kill. I have not yet purchased a lift for my Spyder but my local dealer will install the EBC brake pads I have purchased from BajaRon and I pay for the labor. My brake fluid will be due for it's routine two year flush and replacement about that time and since B.U.D.S. is necessary to flush the ABS module I'll probably have them do the whole job.