PDA

View Full Version : RT to F3 Limited

robhowen
07-28-2018, 11:46 PM
I'd be interested in hearing from anyone that had an RT for a number of years and switched to an F3 Limited and has at least had the F3 Limited for a while. Did you like the switch? What are the plusses and minuses? I have a situation where the narrower front tire width of 58.9" vs. 61.9" may better serve my traveling needs.

Thank you,
Rob

loisk
07-29-2018, 12:18 AM
From your signature, you already have an F3S as well as RT

Are you therefore asking about differences between F3S and F3 Limited ?

robhowen
07-29-2018, 12:23 AM
My wife rides the F3S and I ride the RT. I am asking for input from those that used to ride an RT and now Ride an F3 Limited as I may change to an F3 Limited.
Rob

From your signature, you already have an F3S as well as RT

Are you therefore asking about differences between F3S and F3 Limited ?

loisk
07-29-2018, 01:37 AM
OK
Sorry can't help - I've owned RS, ST and F3S - but no RT.

wrb3004
07-29-2018, 07:46 AM
I have both and find them fairly equal with having the same motor, tranny, rear sprocket, and air suspension.

For me the biggest plus with the F3 is the cruiser style riding position and being able to adjust the floorboards and handlebar. The rear trunk is huge in comparison to the RT but you lose some space in the saddlebags and frunk. The cruiser position makes it more spacious feeling to me.

A plus on the RT is having the electric windshield and all around better wind/rain protection. But by adding Baker Built hand and leg wings and a better windshield to the F3 (F4 Customs 23" on mine) you get about the same level of wind/rain protection. I find the RT squishy compared to the F3 and the brake pedal in an awkward position.

Hope this helps.

Pirate looks at --
07-30-2018, 09:52 AM
Most importantly you have to be comfortable, so make sure that you ryde the F3 you have fr some distance so yiu can make sure that you are comfortable in that ryding position. Then it depends on how you like to ryde. If you want better handling in the turns, and more acceleration the. The F3T would be your best bet. The F3T has a larger sprocket than the F3L (17 and 18 model years) and will handle like the F3S you already have. Sadly they too a lot of fun out of the F3L in 17 and 18 by replacing the rear sprocket with the one off the RT. So if performance is important the T is for you!

Chefex
07-30-2018, 12:58 PM
I had a 2016 RTS that I traded in for a 2018 F-3 limited. Both are excellent rides, it all depends on what you’re after. Me being a bigger guy, the f3 riding position is much more comfortable. Nice to be able to stretch your legs out. I think the handling is much better on the F3 also. But wind reduction and passenger comfort is better in the RT. I switched to the f4 customs 25 inch windshield which is much better but still not as good as the RT. More storage space on the RTS, but the F3 has a much more “bad ass “ look to it. Since we bought my wife her own RT so no more two ups I like the F3 over the RT. But you can’t go wrong with either. Again it’s up to you, go test drive one at a dealer.

SpyderAnn01
07-30-2018, 01:02 PM
I went from the RT to an F3T and it fits me great. I was hesitant to try the F3 as I thought the forward controls would be uncomfortable for my hips but I find that it actually more comfortable for me.

robtdonna
07-31-2018, 08:43 AM
2014 RT to 2017 F3-T.

For me, it's like comparing a Chevy Impala to a Chevy Corvette. F3 is so much more to my liking, lower CG helps but coming from two wheels for 40 years, the forward controls are what made it for me.

stevencovert
07-31-2018, 02:43 PM
I had a 2016 RTS that I traded in for a 2018 F-3 limited. Both are excellent rides, it all depends on what you’re after. Me being a bigger guy, the f3 riding position is much more comfortable. Nice to be able to stretch your legs out. I think the handling is much better on the F3 also. But wind reduction and passenger comfort is better in the RT. I switched to the f4 customs 25 inch windshield which is much better but still not as good as the RT. More storage space on the RTS, but the F3 has a much more “bad ass “ look to it. Since we bought my wife her own RT so no more two ups I like the F3 over the RT. But you can’t go wrong with either. Again it’s up to you, go test drive one at a dealer.

:agree: I'm 6'5" and have an 2016 RT-S (wifes) & '08 GS (mine). I wasn't sure about the F3 until I sat on one. I had to get on using the passenger pegs. But wow the comfort was a whole new level. Felt like I was in my recliner :) With my legs out in front the cornering would feel a lot more solid (I think, just sat on it for a while). I'm now also looking to sell my '08 GS to put a down payment on an F3.

rays hell
08-03-2018, 07:27 AM
I had a 13Rts with a 990 then moved up to a 15Rts with a 1330 which was a big improvement engine tranny, but when I test drove an F3 and could stretch my legs out I knew that would be my next bike. as for the loss of space in the saddle bags and the trunk, I don't seem to miss it that much but the ease of access and the more user friendly top case is a huge plus.
I also knew I wanted the performance of an F3 with a bigger rear sprocket so bought a 16 F3t and added the top case myself and I love it.

dag62
08-03-2018, 08:41 AM
I have the 2017 RTS. I am 6'4" with 36" inseam. For me, the RT riding position fits me perfectly. I like riding in a more upright position, like sitting on a chair. My wife on the other hand is 5'8" and cannot stand the RT driver seating position. She says it feels too far away for her. So we bought her the 2017 F3L. She sat on it and from the very beginning, it felt great to her. I find that my knees hit the plastic and is not comfortable for me. I have not tried to sit on one that has the floor boards moved forward, but in position C, it sucks for me. It feel great to her. Bottom line, as has been stated before, you need to test ride and get what feels best to you. Either way, you can't go wrong. good luck.

Peteoz
08-03-2018, 11:34 PM
I have the 2017 RTS. I am 6'4" with 36" inseam. For me, the RT riding position fits me perfectly. I like riding in a more upright position, like sitting on a chair. My wife on the other hand is 5'8" and cannot stand the RT driver seating position. She says it feels too far away for her. So we bought her the 2017 F3L. She sat on it and from the very beginning, it felt great to her. I find that my knees hit the plastic and is not comfortable for me. I have not tried to sit on one that has the floor boards moved forward, but in position C, it sucks for me. It feel great to her. Bottom line, as has been stated before, you need to test ride and get what feels best to you. Either way, you can't go wrong. good luck.

When you say position C on the F3-L, do you mean position 3, dag?
I agree completely with what you are saying about test riding being a must, but, at 6’4” and 36”, it’s little wonder that you found that your knees hit the plastic and the position was not comfortable for you in position 3. If you tried it in position 5, which you need for your leg length, it would be a much different proposition ;)

Pete