PDA

View Full Version : Attaching photos and Sorry for the overload!

IdahoMtnSpyder
07-28-2018, 09:30 AM
I apologize to anyone who's computer, tablet, or phone, became overloaded or unresponsive when viewing the now deleted thread about Attaching Photos. I failed to exercise sufficient consideration and sensitivity in posting an example photo in text form.

EasySuper asked how to attach larger photos to a post. DGoebel replied just do copy and paste. I replied that was not the best way because if the photo exceeded the photo file size limits of the forum software the s/w would choke on the file. What would get posted was the hexadecimal file data in text format which, in the example I posted, was probably hundreds of pages of solid text. Processing the photo could take up to several minutes! :banghead: After I was made well aware of how I was screwing things up for people I was going to fix it but before I got to it it was mercifully deleted!

Interestingly, this morning when I try to replicate the problem of large photos being copied and pasted everything works just fine. But what you can end up with is a photo so big you have to scroll left and right and up and down to see it! Either the forum s/w has been tweeked, or more likely, the forum traffic is low and the server can handle large photos this morning. I wanted to post a short snippet of the text that represents photos to illustrate the issue, but since things are working nicely so I don't have any!

Anyway, the best way to attach photos is to use the Insert Image icon in the toolbar above the edit window, or the Manage Attachments button below the edit window. This way photos always display completely in a message window. This also reduces the data load on Lamont's servers, which keeps his cost of maintaining the forum lower, and ensures it'll be here for a long time to come! If you use the Manage Attachments button you can see how the size of a multi-meg file size gets reduced to less than 100 kb. For example, the photo on the left below is 3,903 kb on my computer. After I uploaded it the size as stored in the SL forum is 45.7 kb. The reduced size is easy to see so there is no great benefit to attaching the 3,903 kb file.

The photo on the left was uploaded with the Manage Attachments button. The one on the right was uploaded directly from the 3,903 kb file using the Insert Image icon button. Both are stored the same size. The advantage of using the Manage Attachments button is you can easily find the photo later and use it again in another post. If by chance you are not aware, the photos you see in a post are usually just a thumbnail copy. You need to click on the thumbnail to see the full size copy.

164010 164010

So, in short, sorry for the trip up, and be kind to Lamont's servers and use one of the two buttons to attach photos.

billybovine
07-28-2018, 09:46 AM
You can also change the size of the view in the post itself. But be warned that it may not display on a device with a smaller screen like a phone.
This is the normal thumbnail inserted size.

This is after I double left click the image and choose large from the resulting screen.

Peter Aawen
07-28-2018, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the tip re pic posting IMS, & your consideration & the apology re the earlier trip up is gratefully accepted, just so long as you consider yourself to have been soundly slapped over the wrist with a wet tram ticket! :lecturef_smilie: :roflblack: :joke: It was a whole lotta text, wasn't it?!? :shocked: Anyhow, problem solved now, and I for one will only be using the Insert Image or Manage Attachments methods from here on in! :thumbup:

IdahoMtnSpyder
07-28-2018, 03:07 PM
You can also change the size of the view in the post itself. But be warned that it may not display on a device with a smaller screen like a phone.
This is the normal thumbnail inserted size.

This is after I double left click the image and choose large from the resulting screen.

What browser are you using? All I ever get with double clicks with FireFox is opening the full size version from the thumbnail. I don't see any option to double the size. Or am I not looking in the right place, or not have a needed tool in the toolbar?

billybovine
07-28-2018, 03:16 PM
What browser are you using? All I ever get with double clicks with FireFox is opening the full size version from the thumbnail. I don't see any option to double the size. Or am I not looking in the right place, or not have a needed tool in the toolbar?

I am using Chrome.

This is the image of my screen after I double click the picture above.

IdahoMtnSpyder
07-28-2018, 04:50 PM
I am using Chrome.

This is the image of my screen after I double click the picture above.

That explains it! There's a whole lot of difference between Chrome and Firefox. The biggest difference, Firefox isn't owned or controlled by Google! I let Google see enough of my life by using Google search and maps!! Google has become so insidious and pervasive and controlling of all things Internet I actually feel sorry for Microsoft some days!! I hate MS. Use them only to the extent I can't avoid them!

easysuper
07-30-2018, 12:37 PM
I have been using the Insert Image tab, but just wanted to know how to enlarge the photo so it would not show as a thumbnail, did not mean to create a **** storm!

IdahoMtnSpyder
07-30-2018, 06:46 PM
I have been using the Insert Image tab, but just wanted to know how to enlarge the photo so it would not show as a thumbnail, did not mean to create a **** storm!
From what Billy shows above it looks like your best bet is to sell your soul totally to Google and use Chrome!! :roflblack: Otherwise, in the the interest of not using up excessive server storage just keep doing what you've been doing! It is a bit of an irritation to have to click on the thumbnail to see the full size version, but I accept that as part of the limitation of this fine forum!!