PDA

View Full Version : Smartphone battery usage when riding Spyder?

HeartHopper
07-28-2018, 07:59 AM
I use my smartphone for navigation.
It is amazing how fast the battery drains when on my Spyder.
I have my phone plugged into the standard Spyder USB port (located in the dash glove box).
It shows a connection & charge.
What I do to get by is shut down all bluetooth & WiFi to slow the excessive drain, then turn it on when needed.
So the real interesting thing is, I use my phone/navigation when driving a car I don't have this issue?

My smartphone mounted on my handle bar, wondering if that has something to do with direct sunlight?

I'm going to try plugging into my rear travel case to rule out USB connection issues.

LeftCoast
07-28-2018, 08:05 AM
I don’t think that should be happening. I have had instances where my iPhone shows charging when in fact the lightening plug was defective and not actually providing a charge. In each case replacing the cord resolved the problem.

I don’t know if there is a voltage difference between a car and a Spyder that could cause this. Smarter people than me on the forum would know.

Floridian2017
07-28-2018, 08:10 AM
I agree with LeftCoast. It should not be happening.

Easy Rider
07-28-2018, 08:18 AM
So the real interesting thing is, I use my phone/navigation when driving a car I don't have this issue?

Your car has a more powerful "power" connection in it's USB port.

If your Spyder also has a cigarette lighter style 12 V port handy, you can buy a USB charger for about $5 that should be similar to what your car does.

P.S. Also check your phone after you get it all hooked up and see if it has automatically started any other apps.......like a music player, for instance.

SpyderSteveFL
07-28-2018, 08:32 AM
It doesn't matter what apps are running or what radios are on or how bright the screen is, if the USB port is working properly and the cable is good the phone should at least maintain a charge if not actually increase in charge. Now some newer and larger phones take a little more current and the cheap non regulated ports only supply so much. I have my own usb I installed of my neutrino and it always fully charges phone with alot going on when plugged in. In fact in my 2011 car the built in USB is very low current and in fact doesn't charge as well. So check what USB it is and you may need to do a more powerful one. You can also check the cable with another port somewhere or with a portable battery pack which are always good to have as a backup. The other thing is if you have a good case like an otterbox on your phone and it is in direct sunlight and its hot then sometimes the phone will overheat and stop charging.

greybeard
07-28-2018, 09:13 AM
the USB in your glove compartment is not for power it's for playing music you can bring up USB on your screen. Much different than your car.It does have a trickle of power but not enough to run gps on your phone. I installed a USB power port on my f3 and also rt dashboards works really well. I also use gps on my phone works great
Paul

billybovine
07-28-2018, 09:14 AM
It may be helpful if you told us the model and year of your Spyder. So that he discussion can be more specific.

On my 2018 F3L. If I plug into the glovebox cord and put the phone in the glove box. The phone will go into overheating mode with notifications, in very little time and stop charging. Driving around with the glove box door open does help a lot. I now have a mount my handlebars and do not have an issue with heat. When only using BT and the BRP connect app, near good cell coverage zones. The charge will barely maintain the battery level. Start the GPS app and it will start eating up the battery charge. Just not enough power for my phone. As per the the picture below. Black inside the plug identifies it as as USB 2 standard. So a max of 500 ma. So the measurements i got makes sense.

Easy Rider
07-28-2018, 09:53 AM
It doesn't matter what apps are running or what radios are on or how bright the screen is, if the USB port is working properly and the cable is good the phone should at least maintain a charge if not actually increase in charge.

And yet you go on and contradict yourself......twice, in two different ways.

The amount of power being USED will, of course, have an affect on how much charging takes place......or doesn't.
So will the model of phone in use and the "model" of the USB port it is connected to.

One needs to consider all the possibilities before concluding that your USB port is somehow defective.

Highwayman2013
07-28-2018, 11:09 AM
I use my smartphone for navigation.
It is amazing how fast the battery drains when on my Spyder.
I have my phone plugged into the standard Spyder USB port (located in the dash glove box).
It shows a connection & charge.
What I do to get by is shut down all bluetooth & WiFi to slow the excessive drain, then turn it on when needed.

My smartphone mounted on my handle bar, wondering if that has something to do with direct sunlight?

I'm going to try plugging into my rear travel case to rule out USB connection issues.
If you have an F3 the factory USB cable doesn’t put out much. You will need a different 12 volt source and a USB plug that puts out more power. I put one in the speaker grill on our F3L .

DGoebel
07-28-2018, 11:20 AM
For my above dash mounted phone holder, I ordered a Motopower 0609A 3.1Amp Waterproof Motorcycle USB Charger Kit SAE to USB Adapter which takes power right off the bikes 12v
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=151051&d=1500245546

Bob Denman
07-28-2018, 11:55 AM
My phone (LG G5); actually charges while I am using it, and have it plugged into the bike.:thumbup:

SpyderSteveFL
07-28-2018, 12:41 PM
And yet you go on and contradict yourself......twice, in two different ways.

The amount of power being USED will, of course, have an affect on how much charging takes place......or doesn't.
So will the model of phone in use and the "model" of the USB port it is connected to.

One needs to consider all the possibilities before concluding that your USB port is somehow defective.

I'm sending you a pair of reading glasses for Christmas since I don't think you read what I said :D

I never said anything was defective, rather underpowered, which apparently it is if its designed for data xfer only (he never said what port on what bike, etc so it was general info). I also don't understand how you think I contradicted myself - twice.

Any USB charger for a modern smart phone should output 2.4A, whether it be 'factory' installed or whatever. And you actually should have explained your suggestion a bit better - the cheap $5 cig lighter adapters are usually cheap Chinese crap and can cause more trouble. They've been known to be underpowered and not contain power regulation or overheating circuits. The adapters do work fine but they will usually cost at least $10 and they must contain proper circuitry.

Anyway, not here to play childish games, just provide accurate info where I can - and did.

IdahoMtnSpyder
07-28-2018, 05:13 PM
Different USB adapters will put out different levels of power. Also, it's my understanding that an adapter made for i stuff doesn't work so well with Android, and vice versa. There's some sort of feedback or communication between the device and the charger. In other words, a USB charger isn't the same as the next charger isn't the same as the next charger, and so. Sometimes it takes trial and error to find the most compatible parts to work together.

Also, it you're riding out in the nether-lands where cell signal is poor your phone will use more power trying to "call home." Same with wifi.

Motorcycledave
07-28-2018, 07:00 PM
You can get this at Cycle Gear it works great and is waterproof
AND it will not brake the bank it's also on sale......

Peteoz
07-28-2018, 08:05 PM
Greybeard, Billy and Highwayman are spot on, Hearthopper. I assume from your description of the glovebox in the dash, and a rear trunk, that you have a 2017 or later F3-L.

I have an iPod mini setup in my 2016 F3-L glovebox to play through speakers, and it keeps it charged as its draw is minimal.

I have installed one of Lamont’s power outlets on my bars which runs my iPhone using Bluetooth music, GPS and FOBO, and keeps it charged at 100%.

Pete

Peteoz
07-28-2018, 08:13 PM
Any USB charger for a modern smart phone should output 2.4A, whether it be 'factory' installed or whatever.

Yeah, that’s where the problem lies, Steve. The factory F3 glovebox connector only outputs around .3A (see Billy’s photo). Not enough to power anything larger than micro or mini players.

Pere

spyderfish
07-28-2018, 08:46 PM
My Android phone will not run GPS guidance from a standard USB source, the battery becomes discharged. The phone came with its own
"turbocharger" which is a high power charger and does provide enough power. The phone knows the difference between regular and turbochargers,
I believe there is some special wiring in the charger that signals the phone.

So, I had to buy a special turbo charger, which is significantly more expensive than a regular charger. I think the cable is also special, larger to carry
the increased amperage, 4 to 5 amps I think.

All USB chargers are not equal.

Apple has a capability called "fast" charge, which I believe is comparable to turbo.

Spyderfish

Easy Rider
07-29-2018, 09:06 AM
Any USB charger for a modern smart phone should output 2.4A, whether it be 'factory' installed or whatever.

As others have mentioned, the port in question here, and on many vehicles, is intended primarily as a signal input jack and NOT a charging source.
Many of them are the old 1 amp standard and some much less.

What you think it "should be" has little bearing on what it IS.

And yes, the USB chargers that can be had for $5 are the 1 amp variety mostly and they come from China.......as do pretty much ALL of the small electronics these days. Paying more does not guarantee better quality.

SpyderAnn01
07-29-2018, 03:45 PM
I use my IPhone for GPS and music and keep it plugged in to the upper box on my F3T. It keeps my phone fully charged all day. Never had a problem.

UtahPete
07-29-2018, 07:08 PM
I use my IPhone for GPS and music and keep it plugged in to the upper box on my F3T. It keeps my phone fully charged all day. Never had a problem.
Ann, do you ever experience overheating problems with your phone inside that closed compartment?

davehirst
07-30-2018, 02:07 PM
I have my phone between the handlebars on a mount, and have installed a USB port in my left speaker grill. I plug my phone in when riding and it maintains 100% all day long. As a matter of fact, when I was traveling this summer I didn't take a charger along and the phone held the charge all night. (Not 100%) I have a Samsung G7.

IdahoMtnSpyder
07-30-2018, 06:49 PM
My Android phone will not run GPS guidance from a standard USB source, the battery becomes discharged.

All USB chargers are not equal
Nor are all devices. My newer Samsung tablet will easily stay charged or recharge on a smaller adapter than will my older Samsung tablet.

HeartHopper
08-12-2018, 09:00 AM
I will purchase a battery direct wire waterproof 12v outlet and try it out.:2thumbs:

Danzguy
08-02-2020, 07:51 PM
This reply is in response to DGoebel post above "For my above dash mounted phone holder, I ordered a Motopower 0609A 3.1Amp Waterproof Motorcycle USB Charger Kit SAE to USB Adapter which takes power right off the bikes 12v".

I read customer reviews and everyone loves the Motopower 0609A 3.1Amp Waterproof Motorcycle USB Charger Kit but many mention the resistor that reduces voltage from 12v to 5v will drain the battery when not in use. Did you experience this? There appears to be no 'cutoff' to prevent the drain. My take-away is that I would need to put my RTL on a battery tender when not active. Thoughts? PS - I really appreciate your lead on this unit. Cheers!

Haze
08-03-2020, 07:50 PM
I have my 2.1A USB port tied to a simple relay that switches power on and off with the bikes ignition.
Its a DIY setup that is also powers my driving/fog lights, and heated gear connection socket.
Does not drain the system when the bike is not running.

Peter Aawen
08-03-2020, 08:49 PM
It always pays to :oldpost:

I'm really not picking or complaining here, cos I believe it's always a good move to try and keep all the 'applicable & related' info together in the one thread instead of spreading it out all over the place; but please be aware that prior to Danzguy's post #24 above, the last post in this thread was about 2 years ago... so 'replying' to any people who may have posted in this thread earlier &/or asking them questions might not produce an immediate response, if any... sorry. :dontknow: