PDA

View Full Version : SENA Momentum INC (Intelligent Noise Control) helmet review, part 2

OverHillAndDale
07-25-2018, 05:39 PM
I couple of months ago I began a review of this hi-tech helmet, but couldn't get very far because it was so $%#%$ tight on my head. Here's the rest of the story.

First, the technology is great. By nature it is a very quiet helmet, and with the INC function enabled road noise is reduced to a very low volume. Steady rumbling sounds (like the Harley I was riding behind) are reduced to a whisper, yet I can still hear people talk clearly and I can hear my stereo clearly. It does a good job of filtering out droning noises while letting in sudden noises. It is an easier (but more pricey) solution to saving your hearing than earplugs. Additionally, I can talk using Bluetooth to my cell phone or via intercom to other SENA headsets. It is crystal clear, and unlike normal helmet mounted headsets there are no wires nor external components. The fit and finish (my helmet is glossy white) are excellent and the controls are elegantly fit on the sides of the helmet. For technology, finish and controls I'd rate this helmet an A+.

The other part of the story is my helmet sizing issue. I followed the head-measuring instructions on their website to determine my size, and ordered a large. Well, it was incredibly snug and hurt after just a few miles. The ordering instructions on the SENA website state that a helmet can't be returned after it's been opened, and mine was not only opened but I'd taken a 3 or 4 hour ride in it. Still, they allowed me to return the helmet for an XL. They sent me a packing slip with a return label so I didn't pay for anything.

Well. the XL arrived a few weeks later (inventory must be short on these helmets), and it fit every bit as tightly as the L. To my discredit, I'm not used to full faced helmets (still don't care for them) and perhaps I just didn't adapt well to a proper fit. But in my mind the helmet really hurt my ears. Surprisingly, SENA agreed (a bit reluctantly) to allow this one to be returned, with an implication that this would be the last time. And, this time I had to pay for shipping back to CA.

The new XXL helmet finally arrived last week, and it is perfect. The helmet still only comes in full face, but I can adapt to that to save my hearing, at least all but the hottest summer days. It is well ventilated with a top vent and a chin vent.

Bottom line, I highly recommend this helmet if you're concerned about your hearing. However, see if you can find a local dealer to try on a Momentum or Momentum INC for size. I ended up two sizes bigger than was indicated.