PDA

View Full Version : Temp flat tire repair

AsphaltEagle
07-25-2018, 09:39 AM
Hey All, I've been riding in excess of 50 years. For many of them i have carried the small compressed air cartridge flat repair kits.
But for some reason everyone on here seems to be carrying small air compressors...why, is there some reason compressors are preferred over the compressed air on these spyders? Maybe because of our low pressure tires? Compressed air cartridges are much smaller and lighter.
But thankfully I've never in all these years needed either on the road and have loads of cross country miles on my bikes.
Oh yea, just got my f3 limited 2018, first time on 3 wheels.... Well at least in 69 years.

Thanks,
Walt and the Asphalt Eagle
North Central Florida

DGoebel
07-25-2018, 09:44 AM
Walt, I carry the battery powered cordless air pump more for the ease in checking/setting the exact air pressure for the front tires, and I have used it to help others while on a trip.
But, you still should be carrying a plug kit (JIC) if you don't already have Lamonster's suggested Tire Sealant in your tires.

PS. Congrats on your new F3! I guess we're all further proof of that "cycle of life" concept, us having reverted back to 3 wheels...

Dmetcalf
07-25-2018, 09:46 AM
I have a small compressor but ... I definitely agree that carrying some of the compressed air cartridges are also a good thing to have handy. Let’s see what others have to say ..?

SpyderAnn01
07-25-2018, 10:24 AM
I carry a compressor and patch kit, I haven’t had need to use it on my Spyder but Joe has nail seeking tires on his motorcycles. We also use the compressor to air up tires when traveling, mine is small and doesn’t take up much space.

Jarred
07-25-2018, 10:49 AM
I bought my 2018 RT a few weeks ago, and getting it ready for some touring. I have the 1k battery jumper from Lamonster, tire patch kit but no way to fill the tire w air (roadside repair). I see people use a small compressor, but everyone I see requires a 12v DC plug. I’ve looked just about everywhere on the Spyder but can’t find it. Is there a 12v? If not, what compressor is recommended?
Thanks for any advice.

UtahPete
07-25-2018, 10:56 AM
I see people use a small compressor, but everyone I see requires a 12v DC plug. I’ve looked just about everywhere on the Spyder but can’t find it. Is there a 12v? If not, what compressor is recommended? Thanks for any advice.
The RT should have a cigarette lighter type receptacle in the trunk on the left side. Some people use that to power a compressor.

I have a battery tender type cable directly attached to my battery for purposes of maintaining the battery during extended periods of non-use. This connector can then also be used to power a compressor.

Motorcycledave
07-25-2018, 11:12 AM
163900They have this at Cycle Gear comes with everything you see here I have 2 on my Spyder
one in the dash and one in back. It is fused and works great also water proof.

I bought my 2018 RT a few weeks ago, and getting it ready for some touring. I have the 1k battery jumper from Lamonster, tire patch kit but no way to fill the tire w air (roadside repair). I see people use a small compressor, but everyone I see requires a 12v DC plug. I’ve looked just about everywhere on the Spyder but can’t find it. Is there a 12v? If not, what compressor is recommended?
Thanks for any advice.

Jarred
07-25-2018, 12:09 PM
Thanks for all the help. In the back trunk left side is a USB plug. Right side just has rubber cap in, I’m guessing that’s where the 12v should go. I also found a small compressor from Stop & Go ($29.99) that can plug directly into the battery tender port. I’m not good at wiring, so that’s gonna be my solution for now. One day I’ll bring it to a shop to get a 12v installed and maybe some lights. I also want the Spider Pops Bumpskid w LED. Haven’t ordered yet cause I’m scared of the wiring part, lol. My buddy who’s a mechanic is gonna help me install Missing Belt Guard this weekend, maybe he can do the wiring.
‘Once again, thanks for the awesome advice.

Bob Denman
07-25-2018, 02:25 PM
I believe in redundancy. nojoke
I carry a compressor, patches, and a 12 volt starter pack! :thumbup:
And a rope: in case I need to hand myself along the road side! :yikes:

robhowen
07-25-2018, 02:54 PM
I carry a 12v air compressor that runs off of my 12v adapter and a tire plug kit; hoping that I don't need either one.
Rob

davehirst
07-25-2018, 03:02 PM
I carry the stop and go plug kit and a 12v compressor. Problem is i have had 2 flats (On my previous ST1100) and both times the hole was in the side of the tread and large enough I couldn't patch it. Had to be towed on a roll back both times Still carry the equipment though. I did repair the tire on a guys jeep in a restaurant parking lot one time. He couldn't believe it.

cptjam
07-25-2018, 03:41 PM
We carry the Aerostich air compressor. About the size of a tennis ball. Have easily used it 500 times. Works great!
http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-mini-compressor.html
Best I have found. hooks to the battery tender lead, or, use the alligator clips. Joe

JayBros
07-25-2018, 03:45 PM
I have tested my emergency comressor plugging it into my Battery Tender Jr. pigtail that the dealer installed when I bought the bike. The pigtail has the same fusing as the compressor.

SpyderAnn01
07-25-2018, 04:05 PM
If you’re planning on ising the 12v plug in to power your compressor you best test it before you need it. The compressor may blow the fuse.

Two cats
07-25-2018, 05:19 PM
I carry a patch kit, a small sears 12volt air compressor that's about the size of a cigar box, and a spray bottle of soapy water just in case I can't find the hole. Just hook up the compressor and squirt water on the tire. Had all this with me for years. Even on all my holdings.

Bob Denman
07-25-2018, 05:40 PM
If you’re planning on ising the 12v plug in to power your compressor you best test it before you need it. The compressor may blow the fuse.
Yup! :agree: That fuse isn't particularly robust... :gaah:
That's why mine has a rechargeable battery; lurking inside! :thumbup:

Gldwnger
07-25-2018, 05:53 PM
I wonder how many cartridge's would you have to carry to fill the spyders tires? I know they work well on bike tires.I don't think they have enough volume of air.

AsphaltEagle
07-25-2018, 07:09 PM
It has been brought to my attention that some may not be familiar with the tire repair and inflation kits. These kits are about the size of a pack of cigarettes. They include one or two compressed gas cartridges, a plug insertion tool, a rasp, glue and a short hose to connect the cartridge to the valve stem, some plugs and patches depending on the kit. Also note some kits don't have a hose but instead a connector that screws onto the cartridge. Hose is best.
They are made by various manufacturers. Like progressive suspension, thumbs up, innovations tire repair & co2 kit,stop and go, slime and pitt posse. Most all motorcycle shops as well as amazon and walmart sell them. I have several, one from cycle gear and another from jpcycles.
For a normal m/c tire that takes 36 pounds of air two cartridges may be required. Easy to pack, no battery required. I carry two extra cartridges they will fit in anywhere. Cost is $20 to $30 .

AsphaltEagle
07-25-2018, 07:19 PM
Forgot to add. As u know the rear valve stem can be hard to get to. Harley dealers sell a 10 inch flexible valve stem extension for $10. Well worth it.

BigGuy66
07-25-2018, 08:41 PM
...leads me to ask this question - the tires on my 2010 RT are Kendas - are they tubeless? If they are tube-type, what kind of patch kit should I carry. I'm familiar with the repair using the plug type of patch. This thread has been very helpful to me. Gonna order some tire repair stuff. I found the Aerostich Mini with a patch kit for $87. Maybe I can do better with a different compressor and patches.

Navydad
07-25-2018, 10:07 PM
I carry a compressor. Never had a flat on the Spyder yet, but two cartridges didn't get my Triumph tire aired enough to even get the bike off the road. Had two flat tires in a week in Florida three years ago. Good old fashioned rope plugs, rubber cement, and air compressor got me on the road. You can't run fast enough to give me cartridges or plugs.

IdahoMtnSpyder
07-25-2018, 11:54 PM
...leads me to ask this question - the tires on my 2010 RT are Kendas - are they tubeless?
Yes. I don't believe any vehicle intended for road use comes from the factory with tube tires. Not even ATVs.

AsphaltEagle
07-26-2018, 08:04 AM
Navydad,,,, i do carry the rope style plugs, but know people who have used the short little plug style with success. As i said I've been lucky over the years to have never needed to use the kit. So just in case i carried extra cartridges. Knock on wood i continue to be so lucky.
I generally over pack and have never had room for a mini compressor, and the ones that I've used on car tires took forever to pump up to min air pressure and got so hot i had to rest them.

I was given a Grimlin Bell this year so hopefully i will never need either air device.

Docster
07-26-2018, 09:36 AM
Thanks for any advice.

I think your owners manual would answer the question and show the location if applicable

Jarred
07-26-2018, 10:43 AM
I think your owners manual would answer the question and show the location if applicable

‘I searched the manual and BRP/Can Am website and couldn’t find an answer anywhere. And I did a search of this forum and still couldn’t find mention of 12v. That’s why I had to ask. Dave confirmed there isn’t a 12v that comes standard, just after market. I do a ton of reading/research before I ask u guys. And I’m glad I did, got great advice. I try to share things I learn however I’ve only owned a Spyder for almost 3 weeks so I’m still learning.
‘Thanks all.

Navydad
07-26-2018, 01:52 PM
Navydad,,,, i do carry the rope style plugs, but know people who have used the short little plug style with success. As i said I've been lucky over the years to have never needed to use the kit. So just in case i carried extra cartridges. Knock on wood i continue to be so lucky.
I generally over pack and have never had room for a mini compressor, and the ones that I've used on car tires took forever to pump up to min air pressure and got so hot i had to rest them.

I was given a Grimlin Bell this year so hopefully i will never need either air device.

The rope style plugs will handle a larger puncture than the rubber plugs will. One of my flat tires involved a bolt on the freeway near Orlando. My buddy had the rubber plugs and the tool to install it with. There was no way that plug would fix this puncture. The rope style did though. I currently carry rope style plugs and glue with the battery powered handheld compressor. The compressor can also be ran off the bike battery. I have inflated my truck tire with this compressor and it worked very well. I went many years with no flats and then had two in a week on my Key West ride:roflblack: I bought a small stuff sack and put together my tire kit, with the compressor and all that I need to plug a tire it takes up no more space than my pair of low top sneakers I pack when I travel.

163949 163950

teninospyder
07-26-2018, 05:14 PM

JFYI It's only a 5 amp mini fuse and in testing the little compressor I bought at WW - it blew right away.