PDA

View Full Version : CB on the new Spyders?

camper99
07-23-2018, 07:44 AM
Can a CB be installed on the new Spyders (2018)? All the Harley and Goldwing riders I ride with use the CB and not the BT.

Thanks.

Motorcycledave
07-23-2018, 12:10 PM
In a word, YES.
I can help with that and not cost you an arm and a leg.
Give me a call today or any time at 209-887-3283
I am located in Linden, CA ( Northern CA. )
I can save you money
Ride Safe
Dave

Can a CB be installed on the new Spyders (2018)? All the Harley and Goldwing riders I ride with use the CB and not the BT.

Thanks.

Easy Rider
07-23-2018, 01:34 PM
In a word, YES.
I can help with that and not cost you an arm and a leg.

Dave is a good guy. Give him a call.

Two options exist: (there is NOT an OEM integrated option for the '18 and up models anymore.)

J&M. Universal handlebar unit. Works good but might cost near to a grand (including headset) if you pay someone to install one for you.

Midland or Cobra handheld. Kind of a kludge but less than $200 total. Range probably limited to less than a mile......but the stock ones and J&M are generally limited to about 2 miles.

Bob Denman
07-23-2018, 02:03 PM
:agree: The BRP offering is no more...
But Dave's got you covered! :thumbup:

and :welcome:

camper99
07-23-2018, 02:11 PM
Dave is a good guy. Give him a call.

Two options exist: (there is NOT an OEM integrated option for the '18 and up models anymore.)

J&M. Universal handlebar unit. Works good but might cost near to a grand (including headset) if you pay someone to install one for you.

Midland or Cobra handheld. Kind of a kludge but less than $200 total. Range probably limited to less than a mile......but the stock ones and J&M are generally limited to about 2 miles.

So is there an option to add an CB for the '17 and older? I just started looking at the Spyders and was looking at the '18 but maybe I would be better off with a used one.

Mr. White
07-23-2018, 07:22 PM
So is there an option to add an CB for the '17 and older? I just started looking at the Spyders and was looking at the '18 but maybe I would be better off with a used one.

Yes, you can add a BRP CB to a 2017RT or older. I had them on my 2011 and 2014. I did not put one on my 2017 RT.....why?? The BRP CB systems are poor at best and cost about $1,000 for the unit, antenna and harness. Compared to my Gold Wing CB, they are poor. BRP does not make a CB harness for the 2018 RT.

:spyder2:

Motorcycledave
07-23-2018, 09:38 PM
YES

IdahoMtnSpyder
07-23-2018, 09:59 PM
Easy and Dave didn't fully explain your handheld option. First off, you will be using a BT headset in your helmet, right? Sena makes the SR10 CB to BT adapter. You use a handheld CB and plug it into the SR10 which then BT pairs to your headset. There is a PTT button you have to fasten to the handlebar.

When my nephew and I went to Homecoming last year he used an SR10 with a Midland handheld I had. It worked, but not super. Distance is only about 1/2 mile for reliable communication. Distance is limited by the quality and power of the handheld. At first we plugged the power adapter for it into the trunk power outlet. There is so much electrical noise in the Spyder system that it fed right into the CB and made it unusable. We had to use batteries only in the handheld. Go to Sena.com and check out the SR10.

Now, contrary to George's experience and opinion, I have had reasonably good luck with my CB. I changed out the antenna to a Firestik no ground plane antenna and that helped. The big problem with the Spyder is there is very little metal in it so it does not offer a good ground plane for the antenna.

I have no idea how good the J & M system is, but probably it's pretty decent.

There is no wired helmet headset option for the 2018 Spyders.

Why the BRP CB has problems is kind of mystery. The unit is made by RadioSound, the folks who make the audio and CB units for the Goldwing and Harleys.

camper99
07-24-2018, 06:18 AM
Thanks for all the information on this. I guess I am still not sure what I am going to do. I like all I am seeing on the Spyder RT and maybe I should email Dave for more information on different options. Harley Davidson makes the CB option so easy I may have to test ride the Tri-Glide also before I deside whitch 3 wheeler to get.

Mr. White
07-24-2018, 08:58 AM
Easy and Dave didn't fully explain your handheld option. First off, you will be using a BT headset in your helmet, right? Sena makes the SR10 CB to BT adapter. You use a handheld CB and plug it into the SR10 which then BT pairs to your headset. There is a PTT button you have to fasten to the handlebar.

When my nephew and I went to Homecoming last year he used an SR10 with a Midland handheld I had. It worked, but not super. Distance is only about 1/2 mile for reliable communication. Distance is limited by the quality and power of the handheld. At first we plugged the power adapter for it into the trunk power outlet. There is so much electrical noise in the Spyder system that it fed right into the CB and made it unusable. We had to use batteries only in the handheld. Go to Sena.com and check out the SR10.

Now, contrary to George's experience and opinion, I have had reasonably good luck with my CB. I changed out the antenna to a Firestik no ground plane antenna and that helped. The big problem with the Spyder is there is very little metal in it so it does not offer a good ground plane for the antenna.

I have no idea how good the J & M system is, but probably it's pretty decent.

There is no wired helmet headset option for the 2018 Spyders.

Why the BRP CB has problems is kind of mystery. The unit is made by RadioSound, the folks who make the audio and CB units for the Goldwing and Harleys.

Idaho, My CBs on my Spyders worked but not as well as my GW. My GW CB was made by Clarion. My GW is a 2002 so recent GW CBs may be made by Radio Sound. My 2014 had a Fire Stick antenna and was grounded differently than the installation instructions, which were not correct. It worked okay but not good. Yes, no good ground plane is a problem.....anyway, I can live without my CB.

:spyder2:

jcthorne
07-24-2018, 10:02 AM
I have installed a J&M on Louise bike and we could not be more pleased with it. Not all that hard of an installation and with the Sena adaptor, it works fine with the Sena bluetooth headset.

Motorcycledave
07-24-2018, 01:47 PM
The setup I am happy to give you info about will only lighten up
your wallet about $300 as compared with others out there that are
NOT blue tooth and cost MUCH MORE.
So if you want to save money and have a great sounding and working CB
on your Spyder give me a call at 209-887-3283
don't be afraid to call just do it I am here and can help.
Thanks
Dave
Ride Safe

camper99
07-24-2018, 03:49 PM
Thank you Dave. Good information. I got your number now.
Jerry

IdahoMtnSpyder
07-25-2018, 12:01 AM
Idaho, My CBs on my Spyders worked but not as well as my GW. My GW CB was made by Clarion. My GW is a 2002 so recent GW CBs may be made by Radio Sound.

IIRC, the CB in my 2005 GW was a Clarion. No idea when they switched to Radio Sound. Wonder if it's as good as the Clarion was.