PDA

View Full Version : RT front shocks leak

agedbikeman
07-23-2018, 04:35 AM
I have a slight oil leak from one of my font shocks, and I mean slight, just a weep, so eventually it will have to be replaced, I know as a pair, so where do I go. I live in France so things are more difficult, Surly it is just a case of finding a shock without spring of the same dimensions and swap the spring over, could it be from a car parts shop, don't know, never had to replace a bike shock in my life and I've had a few bikes. don't see any point in buying super duper shock as I'm happy with OEM ride. Don't want to use BRP replacement as I believe like the rest of the bike, top price bottom quality, even the cheapest after market must be better than OEM, only done 35,000 miles and leaking.
Grateful for any input.
Alex

BajaRon
07-23-2018, 06:42 AM
I have a slight oil leak from one of my font shocks, and I mean slight, just a weep, so eventually it will have to be replaced, I know as a pair, so where do I go. I live in France so things are more difficult, Surly it is just a case of finding a shock without spring of the same dimensions and swap the spring over, could it be from a car parts shop, don't know, never had to replace a bike shock in my life and I've had a few bikes. don't see any point in buying super duper shock as I'm happy with OEM ride. Don't want to use BRP replacement as I believe like the rest of the bike, top price bottom quality, even the cheapest after market must be better than OEM, only done 35,000 miles and leaking.
Grateful for any input.
Alex

I would not suggest getting a random shock designed for a different vehicle. There is much more to a shock than external dimensions. Hydraulic valving controls dampening and rebound which varies depending on the situation, and are specifically engineered for a particular application.

If you do not want to mount aftermarket shocks designed for your Spyder. You should look into getting another set of OEM shocks to install.