PDA

View Full Version : Help with trailer wiring

Mikel53
07-21-2018, 06:12 PM
I have acquired a small pull behind trailer and need some help making sure the wiring matches my 2015 RTL that is already wired by dealership with a 4 wire square plug. I have purchased a square plug for the trailer. The plug on the trailer now is 4 wire flat. The instructions on the new plug says white-ground ...yellow-left turn ...green-right turn ...brown-taillight... Sounds easy enough but i have heard and read horror stories about weird wiring when you are doing trailer hookups. Is there anything i need to worry about or do that is different from above instructions?

rogerb
07-22-2018, 09:37 AM
I bought a male square plug and a female flat plug and spliced them together to make a jumper for my 2016 RTS. This way you can hook to any four flat and have power. I have two trailers that I haul behind my Spyder. My son uses the trailers and has four flat on his Harley. Works for us.

billybovine
07-22-2018, 10:43 AM
The wire colors are the same on a 4 flat as on the 4 square. So as long as you match up the colors there will be no problem. You should also consider just making an adapter as suggested on the previous post.

Chelada20
06-06-2021, 10:12 PM
Where can you find that square plug for can am hitch to put on trailer end

Bfromla
06-07-2021, 03:19 AM
Where can you find that square plug for can am hitch to put on trailer end

https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-47975-Pole-Square-Set/dp/B004BE60ZU
One option Other is little more involved diy: find a trailer extension that has the both sides, usually under $10.190321*note that 1pin is opposite the other 3- either side ;that’s the ground wire*
Carefully cut the end that has 3pins exposed (male end) in half
190319Stack the halves to make square
190320 Not very pretty, functional all the same. :thumbup:
No need to splice & solder.