PDA

View Full Version : Factors that Increase and Decrease Motorcyclist Crash Risk

jtwrace
07-19-2018, 06:30 PM
This is a very interesting study.

https://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/msf100_2016/Risk_Factors_From_MSF_100_Study_Paper.pdf

Rogue Hawk
07-20-2018, 11:13 AM
I think that report can be summed up with one picture:doorag:

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-FEXiwWpduME/WHnyrdisghI/AAAAAAAA_CU/BQadn-XBGpA65yyauLFvPiW5FtLWZrnTQCLcB/s1600/dailybikers%2Bsquid-MEME.jpeg

DGoebel
07-20-2018, 05:02 PM
But his left turn signal is SAFE!

bhern
07-21-2018, 08:54 AM
Now that they've got their methodology down, it would be great to see a wider study done (100 riders in this one); would be interesting to see 2- and 3-wheel bikes compared as well.

Thanks for sharing that!

ByeSpyder
07-21-2018, 12:19 PM
Factors that Increase and Decrease Motorcyclist Crash Risk:(in no particular order)

Decrease:

AAGAAT
Caution
Experience
Individual Rides
Sobriety
Common sense
Rural/light traffic
Properly maintained vehicle

Increase:

Aggressiveness
Group Rides
Alcohol/drugs
Lack of experience/wrong vehicle for experience
Urban/heavy traffic/lane splitting
Poorly maintained vehicle

It ain't rocket science!

kep-up
07-21-2018, 12:37 PM
IMHO, the report is way toooooo complicated. I ran out of patience on the 2nd page.

bhern
07-21-2018, 02:10 PM
Factors that Increase and Decrease Motorcyclist Crash Risk:

(in no particular order)

Decrease:

AAGAAT
Caution
Experience
Individual Rides
Sobriety
Common sense
Rural/light traffic

Increase:

Aggressiveness
Group Rides
Alcohol/drugs

It ain't rocket science!

...you might want to actually read the study, because some counter-intuitive -- and counter your own view -- results were put forth.

For instance, I found it fascinating that they found urban settings REDUCED the likelihood of a crash or near-crash event significantly when compared to open/rural settings. The reason is likely the interaction of other contrary variables, most notably one you cite: aggressiveness vs. defensiveness/caution.

You're right that it's not rocket science -- or as a former colleague who was known for mangling idioms said, "it ain't rocket surgery." But it is science, and seemed to be well-applied and therefore worth a few minutes of time to read.

ByeSpyder
07-21-2018, 04:46 PM
...you might want to actually read the study, because some counter-intuitive -- and counter your own view -- results were put forth.

For instance, I found it fascinating that they found urban settings REDUCED the likelihood of a crash or near-crash event significantly when compared to open/rural settings. The reason is likely the interaction of other contrary variables, most notably one you cite: aggressiveness vs. defensiveness/caution.

You're right that it's not rocket science -- or as a former colleague who was known for mangling idioms said, "it ain't rocket surgery." But it is science, and seemed to be well-applied and therefore worth a few minutes of time to read.

I actually did read it and quickly noticed the average biker doesn't have the intelligence or determination to assimilate that overwhelming statistical onslaught to frame the proper conclusions so I tried to reduce it to understandable terms.

I didn't try to give weight to individual metrics but over 60 years of riding experience in all forms (recreational, racing, off-road plunking etc.) tells me urban street warfare is many times worse than riding out in the boonies (unless, of course you don't take into account cows, deer, moose and overriding your headlights). And by boonies I mean normal two lane farm country roads and not Tail of the Dragon.

In all my experience I have had just two occurrences of rural road incidents (chain break locking up rear wheel resulting in low side and another rider in group cresting a hill and t-boning a deer). I cannot count the number of urban street wipeouts I have either witnessed first hand or seen on the 5 o'clock news. Just last week a driver ran into the back of a motorcycle officer who was following a BUS! That is the kind of idiocy on our streets today and that kind of thing does not happen once in a blue moon out in Jasper Junction.

Rogue Hawk
07-23-2018, 10:38 AM
IMHO, the report is way toooooo complicated. I ran out of patience on the 2nd page.

Then refer to the picture I posted as a summary:doorag:

Bob Denman
07-23-2018, 11:03 AM
:shocked: :agree: :banghead:

If they put everyone to sleep: nobody will be riding, and there'll be no crashes!

wingit3611
07-23-2018, 11:05 AM
Just had one, second guy in line at stop life made left turn in front of me to cause the crash. Believe it I had my bright lives on he mite have saw me

Bob Denman
07-23-2018, 11:53 AM
Sorry to hear that you got dumped; but don't bet on your high beams preventing anything. nojoke
Your best bet is to ride as if:
Everybody around you is a blind drunk texting maniac; whose wife just let him for someone who look s lot like you! :yikes:

2Paw
07-23-2018, 01:00 PM
I have in over 60 plus years of riding decided that the 2 things you need to rember when you get on your bike are:
1. You are never in complete control
2. Everybody on the road is out to get you and that includes yourself if you don't remember #1

Zip
07-23-2018, 02:40 PM

(in no particular order)

Decrease:

AAGAAT
Caution
Experience
Individual Rides
Sobriety
Common sense
Rural/light traffic

Increase:

Aggressiveness
Group Rides
Alcohol/drugs

It ain't rocket science!

AAGAAT ??

Bob Denman
07-23-2018, 04:59 PM
Absolutely
All
Gear
At
All
Times

Zip
07-24-2018, 10:38 AM
Absolutely
All
Gear
At
All
Times

And how would that increase or decrease risk of a crash?

Bob Denman
07-24-2018, 11:11 AM
I don't know... but I'm pretty sure that if I have an accident: I'd much rather be wearing the gear! :D

wyliec
07-24-2018, 12:02 PM

There is a difference between crash risk and risk of crash. A crash risk, would be the risk of getting hurt during a crash, which is where the gear you wear will help.

IMHO, I didn't read the OP's initial thread, just the title, and that was enough for me.

Pirate looks at --
07-24-2018, 12:11 PM
An awful lot of Spyder Ryders practice NAGATT Not any gear all of the time! T-shirts, shorts, flip flops? It is down rite scary!:yikes:

Bob Denman
07-24-2018, 12:13 PM
We have a name for them: "organ donors"... :banghead:

I don't really like trying to preach to folks about how they should choose to live...
But as an Insurance Agent: I've seen too much! nojoke

ByeSpyder
07-24-2018, 12:21 PM

Someone who wears protective gear when they ride is most likely to observe the other safe riding procedures. They are also more likely to have a better maintained ride and not take chances along the way.

Bob Denman
07-24-2018, 12:27 PM
I believe that can be a valid assumption. :agree: :thumbup:

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
07-24-2018, 12:27 PM
way too long for me to read, anyone want to summarize it?

wyliec
07-24-2018, 01:50 PM
way too long for me to read, anyone want to summarize it?

I'll summarize: If you need to read how to be safe, you probably shouldn't be riding.

Bob Denman
07-24-2018, 02:16 PM
And while you're at it: you probably should also be wearing a condom, a life vest, and your rain boots! :roflblack:

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
07-24-2018, 04:18 PM
And while you're at it: you probably should also be wearing a condom, a life vest, and your rain boots! :roflblack:

I always wear a condom when riding

BajaRon
07-24-2018, 07:49 PM

(in no particular order)

Decrease:

AAGAAT
Caution
Experience
Individual Rides
Sobriety
Common sense
Rural/light traffic

Increase:

Aggressiveness
Group Rides
Alcohol/drugs

It ain't rocket science!

You forgot 2 major factors.

Increase:
Riding

Decrease:
Not Riding

No need to thank me... Just a public service... :rolleyes:

ByeSpyder
07-24-2018, 09:15 PM
You forgot 2 major factors.

Increase:
Riding

Decrease:
Not Riding

No need to thank me... Just a public service... :rolleyes:

I've known several people to have tipped over while parked. Is that considered riding or not riding? :)

Bob Denman
07-25-2018, 06:48 AM
That's called a "Comedy of errors"! :D

Zip
07-25-2018, 07:46 AM
https://goo.gl/images/RGDGxb (https://goo.gl/images/RGDGxb)

BajaRon
07-25-2018, 09:18 AM
As evidenced by this intrepid video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQh56geU0X8

Bob Denman
07-25-2018, 09:33 AM
:D That was fake news... nojoke

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/top-gear-jeremy-clarkson-reveals-he-faked-famous-reliant-robin-rolling-scene-a6810016.html

BajaRon
07-25-2018, 09:41 AM
:D That was fake news... nojoke

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/top-gear-jeremy-clarkson-reveals-he-faked-famous-reliant-robin-rolling-scene-a6810016.html

There you go Bob! Ruining a perfectly good fantasy with the truth! Don't you know that this is greatly frowned upon these days!? :lecturef_smilie:

Bob Denman
07-25-2018, 10:30 AM
:opps: If anybody needs me: I'll be inside my pillow fort... :opps: