PDA

View Full Version : Elka Shock Stage 2 - Issues

Genradman
07-17-2018, 06:37 AM
Any one else had any issues with Elka shocks on the front of their Spyder's

I have twitchy driving issues after rear tire replacement. The dealer found out that both front shock were bad!

One only had 12 PSi in it and the other was ZERO psi (BLOWN)

these only have been on for 11 months.

Any one have Warranty claim/repair from Elka's service center?

Comments please!

Thanks!

Tango
07-17-2018, 07:04 AM
Have you tried contacting ELKA? I found them to be very helpful with questions. :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

PMK
07-17-2018, 07:17 AM
I doubt they have leaked any fluid. Have the shop, or yourself ensure the shrader valve cores are tight, then regas them to 150 psi. Check for leaks around the shrader valves after inflating.

Far easier to check than remove. Once the gas leaks are resolved, if you local shop does not have nitrogen, find a local dirtbike suspension shop and have them charge the shocks with nitrogen.

Also, the front shocks should be fully extended when adding or checking gas pressure.

Additionally, most gas shocks hold so little volume, and require a special gage to check or inflate, that using a push on style tire gage will deflate the shock. It is very possible the shocks may have been fine and your shop deflated them for you not knowing what they are doing.

In a pinch, to test if the shocks being flat is your handling issues, and for leak checks, borrow or buy a mountain bike shock pump. These have a fill valve that only releases the air teapped in the gage / pump, properly used, the hiss is not letting gas escape from the shock.

Chupaca
07-17-2018, 10:13 AM
Many of those high teck shocks have a maintenance schedule one should check. Most don't and don't have problems. Seems you do have a gas leak and not through the seals as you have no oil leaks. As mentioned above do the air test yourself charging them up will require finding the right place to do it. Most tire shops have nitrogen but not the tools for loading shocks...:thumbup: