PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me or???

Geep
07-16-2018, 10:14 PM
So this is my first Spyder a 2015 RT SE, and i struggle with Spyder ergonomics....I think that the shift paddles should be reversed, index finger for up and thumb for down. Maybe it is my 40+ years on motorcycles with clutches that makes we feel this way. But I have to “think” about using my thumb to shift up. I know BRPs roots are sleds with thumb throttles but I feel that using you thumb is just weird......thoughts?????

DGoebel
07-16-2018, 10:49 PM
Just you (now), once you get a few hundred, er thousand miles on it you'll forget all those old muscle memories.;)
I too rode mx back in the 70's, street/crotch rockets in the 80's, cruisers in the 90's and oughts, but after 20,000 miles on my '13 it may be the best bike yet.....:yes:

It'll come to you, just enjoy getting there.

Chupaca
07-16-2018, 10:58 PM
Logic dictates that pushing with the thumb indicates going forward and pushing back with the index indicates returning .... but then you must know all about logic...:roflblack: you will get used to it...this from a guy who will only ryde a manual...

UtahPete
07-17-2018, 12:15 AM
Now that you mention it I understand what you are saying, but I've not thought about it that way. The shifting seems natural to me.

AngryBug
07-17-2018, 06:17 AM
Now that you mention it, I realized how natural it seems to me...push to go (nudging forward), pull to slow her down (like reining in a horse).
I had a 2008 40th Anniversary Mazda RX8 sports car with the slap shift. It's been a few years since we traded her for our HD CVO, but I am pretty sure her controls where push to downshift and pull to upshift on both the steering wheel and on the "manual" side of the gear selector. They always felt backwards to me.
Of course, I am a southpaw so a lot of things feel awkward to me that feel normal for most everyone else.

Little Blue
07-17-2018, 06:38 AM
Just as others have said, after a few 1000 miles It will be normal again. Good Spyder RYDE Times and enjoy. :thumbup:

TEWKS
07-17-2018, 06:48 AM
Honda thinks like you. Finger to up-shift, thumb to down-shift on the new Wing & Africa Twin. I like how it is on the Spyder better. My thought was four fingers wrapped around the bar on acceleration is better than three.

Pat

Buckeye Bleau
07-17-2018, 07:04 AM
Personally, I think that the efficiency would be much improved with a mental sensor in the helmet that shifts based on mental commands.
I don't remember the name of the movie, but there was a Clint Eastwood film where he stole a Russian fighter that responded just that way. His problem was that he had to speak in Russian to accept the command. See, even then there was some personal change that was required to implement.

Joe

Bob Denman
07-17-2018, 07:26 AM
They would NEVER have you up-shift with your index finger! :shocked:
Your forward acceleration and momentum would literally be forcing your index finger against the paddle...
The current system is much safer. nojoke

bhern
07-17-2018, 08:17 AM
Personally, I think that the efficiency would be much improved with a mental sensor in the helmet that shifts based on mental commands.
I don't remember the name of the movie, but there was a Clint Eastwood film where he stole a Russian fighter that responded just that way. His problem was that he had to speak in Russian to accept the command. See, even then there was some personal change that was required to implement.

Liked the book (also titled Firefox) better than the movie, but I bet if they made the movie today it would be really impressive with the effects they could deliver 35 years later.

Spyderglide
07-17-2018, 11:47 AM
I’m surprised the thumb shifter is not heated with the grips like on a snowmobile! LOL!

ARtraveler
07-17-2018, 01:47 PM
An interesting subject that I do not recall seeing before. :bowdown::bowdown:

I am thinking this will NOT get changed. I like explanations so far.

There might be some federal regulation going on that we do not know. As in all cars have the same shift pattern for safety.

Anyone remember the old Buicks. Reverse was at the bottom of the column on the automatics. (P D N R). I had one of those. 60 Invicta.