PDA

View Full Version : My One complaint of a Spyder

gerald37
07-16-2018, 07:30 PM
I have had my Spyder for about one year now. It is a 2015 RT SE6. When I first got it I had several things I did not like about it but have corrected or learned to accept most everything. The one thing I do not like is when you first start it and put it into gear the bang noise it makes. I know it does not hurt anything but it is annoying. I have learned to shift it without any noise and real smooth. You do have to pay attention when shifting. When I first got it I hated when you turned the key on and had to wait to push the mode button to start. I have got use to that so I know when I walk up to it I just turn the switch on and by the time I am in the seat it is ready to start. I was just curious if anyone else felt this way?

Bigmo
07-16-2018, 07:38 PM
I have had my Spyder for about one year now. It is a 2015 RT SE6. When I first got it I had several things I did not like about it but have corrected or learned to accept most everything. The one thing I do not like is when you first start it and put it into gear the bang noise it makes. I know it does not hurt anything but it is annoying. I have learned to shift it without any noise and real smooth. You do have to pay attention when shifting. When I first got it I hated when you turned the key on and had to wait to push the mode button to start. I have got use to that so I know when I walk up to it I just turn the switch on and by the time I am in the seat it is ready to start. I was just curious if anyone else felt this way?

I have a 2018 RT and got used to waiting to press the mode. What I still don't like is the clancking noise (sounds like something is breaking) In first or reverse. My dealer says it's normal and not to worry. There was discussions on this board regarding that. I guess just get use to it and enjoy your ride...

Grandpot
07-16-2018, 07:39 PM
I think a lot of use feel that way. That bang is due to the constant mess transmission. All bikes do that.

IdahoMtnSpyder
07-16-2018, 07:47 PM
My 2005 Goldwing clunked whenever I put it into gear, though not as loud as the Spyder. Just like I used to tell my kids, "You can't have everything!" :roflblack:

iw12surf
07-16-2018, 07:53 PM

Just one complaint? :D I've had mine a couple years now, a '12 RT-Limited. Coming from strictly Harleys for close to forty years it was quite an adjustment for me, as I'm sure it is for most Harley riders. Since I'm a DIY person, working on the Spyder can be intimidating at first; from popping the mirrors off to removing the panels to doing ANY work in the engine area. I finally decided to go into full crew chief mode (I used to work on F-4s and F-16s in the USAF) and just dive in. True, it's a regular pain in the donkey to work on, but there's a ton of info on this site that help every step of the way. As far as the operation of it...once I got out of the "Harley only" attitude it's a pretty trick ryde. I like it, and most importantly, the bride likes it. But in agreement with you, initially it was unnerving. And since you have a "newer" one, just be thankful the battery is not under the seat buried in a hell hole:banghead:
Ryde safe, and if you're ever in the Nashville area, hit me up. Coffee's on me.

Easy Rider
07-16-2018, 08:51 PM
The one thing I do not like is when you first start it and put it into gear the bang noise it makes.

You need to just get over that.

Pretty much ALL motorcycles bang into gear the first time each ride; it is a characteristic of the constant mesh transmissions.
The Spyders are a bit louder than most.......for some reason.

AFTER the first shift though, mine shifts quieter than most other bikes I've had.

P.S. I know this doesn't sound logical but it works on some other machines: Try rev'ing the engine a bit once or twice before you put it in gear......with the clutch pulled in if you have a manual. Give it a try. I haven't yet.

Don'tPanic
07-16-2018, 09:08 PM
I actually like it when it makes a solid "clunk" when you shift it into first. It's like you're doing something very mechanical and important. I usually follow it up with a grin :)

gerald37
07-16-2018, 09:08 PM
Just one complaint? :D I've had mine a couple years now, a '12 RT-Limited. Coming from strictly Harleys for close to forty years it was quite an adjustment for me, as I'm sure it is for most Harley riders. Since I'm a DIY person, working on the Spyder can be intimidating at first; from popping the mirrors off to removing the panels to doing ANY work in the engine area. I finally decided to go into full crew chief mode (I used to work on F-4s and F-16s in the USAF) and just dive in. True, it's a regular pain in the donkey to work on, but there's a ton of info on this site that help every step of the way. As far as the operation of it...once I got out of the "Harley only" attitude it's a pretty trick ryde. I like it, and most importantly, the bride likes it. But in agreement with you, initially it was unnerving. And since you have a "newer" one, just be thankful the battery is not under the seat buried in a hell hole:banghead:
Ryde safe, and if you're ever in the Nashville area, hit me up. Coffee's on me.

I am like you. I have been riding motorcycles for 63 years. I have had about every brand there is. It was quite an adjustment for me also. I have always done all my own service work on all my motorcycles. The Spyder is a bit more work than most motorcycles but I have had about every piece of plastic removed several times. Like you said there is a lot of help on this site and I have used it. I did put the magic mirrors on mind and that helps removing them. I really don't mind servicing it. Like I said in my original post I don't like the noise it makes going into gear when staring it. Thanks for the come back.

gerald37
07-16-2018, 09:10 PM
My 2005 Goldwing clunked whenever I put it into gear, though not as loud as the Spyder. Just like I used to tell my kids, "You can't have everything!" :roflblack:

My Goldwing's did the same but sure was not near as loud.

gerald37
07-16-2018, 09:15 PM
You need to just get over that.

Pretty much ALL motorcycles bang into gear the first time each ride; it is a characteristic of the constant mesh transmissions.
The Spyders are a bit louder than most.......for some reason.

AFTER the first shift though, mine shifts quieter than most other bikes I've had.

P.S. I know this doesn't sound logical but it works on some other machines: Try rev'ing the engine a bit once or twice before you put it in gear......with the clutch pulled in if you have a manual. Give it a try. I haven't yet.

Mind is not a manual but it does seen to help a little if I rev the engine for a little bit in neutral and get the RPM down just a little.

ARtraveler
07-16-2018, 09:22 PM
The wait/mode problem got solved with the 2017's--they tell me.

I am not going to worry about the clunk when they shift into gear. They (as in all motorcycles) do that. :thumbup:

Tango
07-17-2018, 07:09 AM
You want to hear a "clank"? Ride a Victory! :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

Bob Denman
07-17-2018, 07:29 AM
If you can't get used to : sell the bike, and drive a Toyota instead!
All motorcycle transmissions are going to do that. It's the way that it is... nojoke

johnv50
07-17-2018, 07:37 AM
I know there is a trick on the newer Spyders to bypass the wait when starting, could someone reply with that info ??

thanks johnv

stetsr
07-17-2018, 07:58 AM
Turn on key hold in the mode button and start the bike.

Red RT-S
07-17-2018, 08:01 AM
On newer Spyders you can press the mode button almost immediately after turning the key and it will start.

blacklightning
07-17-2018, 08:05 AM
I also hate the clunk, but I have found that it seems to be less pronounced if I let the engine warm up a little first. It also helps if the bike is slightly rolling in the direction of which you want to go. In other words, if you are going to reverse, let the bike be rolling back a little. If you are going into first, be rolling forward a little. It tends to make less of a clunk, and sometimes non at all.

Bob Denman
07-17-2018, 08:27 AM
On newer Spyders you can press the mode button almost immediately after turning the key and it will start.

Yup! :thumbup:

C. Lee
07-17-2018, 08:40 AM
I am able to push the mode button at any time and start the bike meaning it isn't necessary to wait until the screen changes and I have a 16 RTL. I came from an 05 Goldwing and have no complaints to speak of. Just wish I'd would have made the switch sooner. Chris

Pirate looks at --
07-17-2018, 09:01 AM
NO,

Pirate looks at --
07-17-2018, 09:03 AM
I know there is a trick on the newer Spyders to bypass the wait when starting, could someone reply with that info ??

thanks johnv
Turn key, press mode button then hit start!

Bob Denman
07-17-2018, 09:14 AM
I usually disengage the parking brake first... and then hit "Mode"! :clap:

Pirate looks at --
07-17-2018, 10:24 AM
I usually disengage the parking brake first... and then hit "Mode"! :clap:
....but then you also have your foot on the brake pedal! Man this is getting confusing!:banghead:

IdahoMtnSpyder
07-17-2018, 11:09 AM
....but then you also have your foot on the brake pedal! Man this is getting confusing!:banghead:

To shift into 1st, but not for reverse!

CA-SPYDR
07-17-2018, 11:24 AM
You can press it even if the text is not yet on your screen and it will let you immediately turn on the engine!

I have a 2018 RT and got used to waiting to press the mode. What I still don't like is the clancking noise (sounds like something is breaking) In first or reverse. My dealer says it's normal and not to worry. There was discussions on this board regarding that. I guess just get use to it and enjoy your ride...

Bob Denman
07-17-2018, 11:46 AM
To shift into 1st, but not for reverse!

:agree: They probably did this so that it'd be easier to turn around in the saddle, and look behind you! :clap:

Easy Rider
07-17-2018, 12:06 PM
Turn on key hold in the mode button and start the bike.

NOT necessary to hold it in.
As soon as the dash fully lights up (about 4 seconds after key ON), push the mode button ONCE.
Start as usual.

ARtraveler
07-17-2018, 01:08 PM
Queue Music: Hokey Pokey

Put your right foot in...put your right foot out...:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

wilpir
07-17-2018, 01:11 PM
My 1 complaint? Is I didn't buy one sooner! FUN AS HELL!! :clap::clap::clap:

Pirate looks at --
07-17-2018, 01:26 PM
You can press it even if the text is not yet on your screen and it will let you immediately turn on the engine!
Only on models from 16, 17 and 18!

DGoebel
07-17-2018, 01:49 PM
My 1 complaint? Is I didn't buy one sooner! FUN AS HELL!! :clap::clap::clap:
:agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::clap::c lap::clap::clap:

Bob Denman
07-17-2018, 02:02 PM
My complaint?

I can't afford to buy all of the ones that I want! :gaah:

ARtraveler
07-17-2018, 02:07 PM
My complaint?

I can't afford to buy all of the ones that I want! :gaah:

Would you be in the "color of the day" mode, or a sampling of the various models available??

IdahoMtnSpyder
07-17-2018, 03:41 PM
Only on models from 16, 17 and 18!
Earlier years also if you restart within about 3 to 5 minutes of shutting down!

Bob Denman
07-17-2018, 04:55 PM
Would you be in the "color of the day" mode, or a sampling of the various models available??

:shocked: Ummmmmmm….. Yes! :D :yes::clap::thumbup:

PaladinLV
07-17-2018, 05:18 PM
Guess you never drove a Harley :roflblack:

AJ

The one thing I do not like is when you first start it and put it into gear the bang noise it makes.

gerald37
07-17-2018, 05:49 PM
Guess you never drove a Harley :roflblack:

AJ I have had 17 Harley's over the 63 years. None of them made this much noise.

gerald37
07-17-2018, 08:29 PM
That's weird ... you should be deaf by now ....:joke: It is not the motor noise I complained about it was the bang when put in gear. My hearing is fine.

bobfeeney
07-17-2018, 08:45 PM

that is the same bike we have and yes it is anoing when those things happen Ive better things to do than wait for the bike to wake up.. and yes it shifts with a bang and the beep beep crap is very anoing

missouriboy
07-19-2018, 12:11 PM
You can avoid the beep beep crap: if you forget to set the brake, just turn the key back on, set brake, turn key off again. Works for me!

missouriboy
07-19-2018, 12:14 PM
...I used to tell my kids, "You can't have everything!" :roflblack:Remember the droll comedian Steven Wright? He sez, "You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" :dontknow:

IdahoMtnSpyder
07-19-2018, 04:51 PM
You can avoid the beep beep crap: if you forget to set the brake, just turn the key back on, set brake, turn key off again. Works for me!
I just let it beep for 20 seconds until it shuts off. I'd rather do that and be able to push it around in the garage without having to go through the rigamarole of releasing the brake.

Peteoz
07-19-2018, 05:00 PM
I just let it beep for 20 seconds until it shuts off. I'd rather do that and be able to push it around in the garage without having to go through the rigamarole of releasing the brake.

Are you sure you have to go through a rigmarole, Idaho?
On my 16 F3, in my garage, I park in neutral and apply the park brake. If I want to move it around, I turn the key on, immediately press the park brake release button and then turn the key off again. Only takes 3 seconds. Are the RTs different?

Pete

BoxyLady
07-19-2018, 05:02 PM
I actually like it when it makes a solid "clunk" when you shift it into first. It's like you're doing something very mechanical and important. I usually follow it up with a grin :)

I thought I was the only one.....!!

gena1364
07-19-2018, 05:04 PM

Great Idea turning on before you get on:sour:

IdahoMtnSpyder
07-20-2018, 02:58 PM

Are you sure you have to go through a rigmarole, Idaho?
Some days the threshold for what I consider a rigamarole is pretty darn low!!! :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack:

GaryinWI
07-20-2018, 04:35 PM
The wait/mode problem got solved with the 2017's--they tell me.

I am not going to worry about the clunk when they shift into gear. They (as in all motorcycles) do that. :thumbup:

The 17s and 18s still have the 10 second or so delay time before you can start them.

GaryinWI
07-20-2018, 04:36 PM

Not my 17 F3T.

Peteoz
07-20-2018, 07:23 PM
The 17s and 18s still have the 10 second or so delay time before you can start them.

They must have introduced that in the 17 & 18 then Gary.....my 16F3-L lets you turn on the ignition, hit the mode button and start immediately. I wonder why :dontknow:

Pete

UtahPete
07-20-2018, 11:57 PM
It is not the motor noise I complained about it was the bang when put in gear. My hearing is fine.
I was referring to Paladin.

UtahPete
07-21-2018, 12:01 AM
that is the same bike we have and yes it is anoing when those things happen Ive better things to do than wait for the bike to wake up.. and yes it shifts with a bang and the beep beep crap is very anoing
If you don't like the parking brake warning signal, you should maybe set the brake before switching off the engine.....?

Big F
07-21-2018, 12:15 AM

thanks johnv
On my new 2018 RT Limited all I have to do is push the mode button and then the start button and she starts immediately - as in no waiting...
still don't know when we should even have to push the mode button????????
BIG F

Easy Rider
07-22-2018, 09:18 AM
They must have introduced that in the 17 & 18 then Gary.....my 16F3-L lets you turn on the ignition, hit the mode button and start immediately. I wonder why :dontknow:

Pete

Somebody is mistaken here.
My '17 RT does NOT have a mandatory delay. Hit the MODE button and go.

Ex-Rocket
07-22-2018, 10:06 AM
My only complaint on the RT Spyders, is that there isn't any leg room. There isn't any room to move the pegs or floorboards forward any. I'm 6'2" and have owned 2 RT's and always felt cramped on the bike. That is the reason I went to the 2017 F3L.

Docster
07-22-2018, 01:51 PM
I'm surprised someone hasn't complained that on the Spyder "it's harder to do wheelies".:roflblack:

AY4B
07-22-2018, 02:49 PM
If you read the safety card every time like your supposed to, you wont mind having to push just one more button.:joke:

Easy Rider
07-23-2018, 07:43 AM
I'm surprised someone hasn't complained that on the Spyder "it's harder to do wheelies".:roflblack:

Yes but it is easier to "cut donuts" !!! :clap: