PDA

View Full Version : How to view the clock??

FINFAN3DP
07-11-2018, 06:13 PM
So i figured out how to set the clock, but cant figure out how to view it. The top right hand corner of the screen seems like the logical place, but this only shows how long the bike has been running. I am sure it is something simple i am overlooking

Mr. White
07-11-2018, 07:36 PM
Hi, it looks like you have a new RT. It is help to all if you list the model and year of your Spyder in your signature. I never had your problem with my clock but I would bet the owners manual will solve your problem. Good riding.

:spyder2:

FINFAN3DP
07-11-2018, 07:47 PM
Test for signature.

UtahPete
07-11-2018, 09:17 PM
So i figured out how to set the clock, but cant figure out how to view it. The top right hand corner of the screen seems like the logical place, but this only shows how long the bike has been running. I am sure it is something simple i am overlooking
Top right is where I find my clock. It's not reliable.

4 MARIE
07-11-2018, 10:36 PM
Top right is where I find my clock. It's not reliable.

my 2014 clock was grim alright, but my 2017 is actually correct, and I was really surprised.
For me the read out (top right) is so small as to be unreadable , so I got a high dollar ($15) Casio Easy read
wristwatch, large bold dial and face, water resistant, black case and neoprene strap. Works PERFECT strapped just inside
of the left switch pod. the quickest glance reveals the time

Bfromla
07-11-2018, 11:18 PM
:gaah:Ya your over looking alright:lecturef_smilie: LOOSE THE WATCH:2thumbs::clap::doorag:nojoke

https://youtu.be/pq2SirtDqnE

bcer960
07-12-2018, 12:08 AM
the clock on my 17 is small, and I found it hard to see quickly when i was driving. It also does not keep time. It's gained 9 mins since april. I removed the gas and temp guages and replaced them with a clock on the left side and a volt meter on the right.

Mr. White
07-12-2018, 08:07 AM
Test for signature.

Ya nailed it!

:spyder2:

Pirate looks at --
07-12-2018, 08:46 AM
I fixed my clock on both the RT and the F3. They both just read "NOW"! They are always spot on completely accurate.......and when I am ryding a Spyder......I don't care what time it is!:yes:

bcer960
07-12-2018, 09:04 AM
I fixed my clock on both the RT and the F3. They both just read "NOW"! They are always spot on completely accurate.......and when I am ryding a Spyder......I don't care what time it is!:yes:

So if I do that, you can't leave on a ride with out me in Sept, cause according to my bike, I won't be late ;)

Bob Denman
07-12-2018, 09:22 AM
The best way to view the clock: pick up your arm, and take a peek at your watch! :roflblack:

Although the clocks on the 2018 models ARE VERY ACCURATE! :thumbup:

Eviltwin
07-12-2018, 09:48 AM
my 2014 clock was grim alright, but my 2017 is actually correct, and I was really surprised.
For me the read out (top right) is so small as to be unreadable , so I got a high dollar ($15) Casio Easy read
wristwatch, large bold dial and face, water resistant, black case and neoprene strap. Works PERFECT strapped just inside

That sounds like a great idea. :clap: I don't care for digital clocks anyway, and those casios are pretty cheap and would work fine.

Lew L
07-12-2018, 10:09 AM
I added a Formotion analog clock to a JT style dash mount. Easy to read at a glance with out taking my eyes off the road. OEM clock is useless.

Lew L

Pirate looks at --
07-12-2018, 10:10 AM
So if I do that, you can't leave on a ride with out me in Sept, cause according to my bike, I won't be late ;)
Ray....nothing starts until you and Tracey arrive!:yes:

bcer960
07-12-2018, 10:35 AM
Ray....nothing starts until you and Tracey arrive!:yes:

Well this year we're bringing friends, and we're going to hit 9 states before we get there. So, (hopefully not) but we may be late.......

Pirate looks at --
07-12-2018, 10:55 AM
Well this year we're bringing friends, and we're going to hit 9 states before we get there. So, (hopefully not) but we may be late.......
Can't wait. We have a beautiful ryde planned for ya!

Easy Rider
07-12-2018, 11:49 AM
It's gained 9 mins since april.

That works out to about 5.4 seconds a day.
Not hardly something to justify calling it "unreliable" or non-functional.

bcer960
07-12-2018, 12:48 PM
That works out to about 5.4 seconds a day.
Not hardly something to justify calling it "unreliable" or non-functional.

At least it's going fast, not slow. So if I did rely on it, I would always be early

Lew L
07-12-2018, 01:00 PM
At least it's going fast, not slow. So if I did rely on it, I would always be early

For many years I lived by the following: " If your early-- you're on time----If your on time you're late------ and if you're late-- you're fired." It has served me very well.

Lew L

bcer960
07-12-2018, 01:00 PM
For many years I lived by the following: " If your early-- you're on time----If your on time you're late------ and if you're late-- you're fired." It has served me very well.

Lew L

well said

FINFAN3DP
07-12-2018, 08:53 PM
So another words, no one knows how to get the clock to show up.

Bfromla
07-12-2018, 09:43 PM
:shocked:Sorry & Joking aside its all in the settings, per my 13 it's alway on & just hard to see. Mine can set time,12or24hr format that's it. You might have a enabled or disabled option under the settings(2nd option down in menu list) I do for the DIGITAL RPM & radio not the clock. But they appear in other locations :thumbup: Can say I rely on the visible one on the GPS more often, if I'm looking:p

UtahPete
07-12-2018, 11:36 PM
:shocked:Sorry & Joking aside its all in the settings, per my 13 it's alway on & just hard to see. Mine can set time,12or24hr format that's it. You might have a enabled or disabled option under the settings(2nd option down in menu list) I do for the DIGITAL RPM & radio not the clock. But they appear in other locations :thumbup: Can say I rely on the visible one on the GPS more often, if I'm looking:p
:agree: I think the clock is next to the equally impossible to read ambient air temp gauge.

bcer960
07-12-2018, 11:40 PM

Although I bought my 17 new with zero Kms on it, the clock was always there. I did not know you could turn it off. Sorry.

Easy Rider
07-13-2018, 07:19 AM

I don't think you understand the situation.

I think EVERYBODY else sees it......and doesn't know how to make it NOT visible......and thus has no need to know "how to make it show up".
On my '17 it is in the top bar above the main display but is very small......along with the temperature.

UtahPete
07-13-2018, 09:01 PM
I don't think you understand the situation. I think EVERYBODY else sees it......and doesn't know how to make it NOT visible......and thus has no need to know "how to make it show up". On my '17 it is in the top bar above the main display but is very small......along with the temperature.
:agree: You (the O.P.) are seeing it too but for some reason you (the O.P.) think it's a run time gauge. nojoke

Lew L
07-13-2018, 10:42 PM
I added a Formotion analog clock to a JT style dash mount. Easy to read at a glance with out taking my eyes off the road. OEM clock is useless.

Lew L

Just thought I would repost this as the OEM clock is useless.

UtahPete
07-13-2018, 10:56 PM
Just thought I would repost this as the OEM clock is useless.
I think you just blew out my hearing aids, Lew!

Lew L
07-14-2018, 12:18 AM
I think you just blew out my hearing aids, Lew!

What???? I can't hear you Pete:joke:

Easy Rider
07-14-2018, 09:29 AM
:agree: You are seeing it too but for some reason you think it's a run time gauge. nojoke

WTH are you talking about.
It is a CLOCK....that shows the current time of day.
I know what it is. :lecturef_smilie:

UtahPete
07-14-2018, 10:12 AM
WTH are you talking about.
It is a CLOCK....that shows the current time of day.
I know what it is. :lecturef_smilie:
My comment was addressed to the OP, not you. I was agreeing with you.

Easy Rider
07-15-2018, 10:08 AM
My comment was addressed to the OP, not you. I was agreeing with you.

Thanks for the edit.

A comment that follows a quote is assumed to apply to the quoted text.......unless specified otherwise.

Bob Denman
07-16-2018, 07:44 AM
After checking what bike the OP has: he's got the clock on his display, and just hasn't fount it yet…
Top right-hand corner...

FINFAN3DP
07-16-2018, 05:38 PM
After checking what bike the OP has: he's got the clock on his display, and just hasn't fount it yet…
Top right-hand corner...

The top right corner IS SHOWING THE RUN TIME AND NOT THE CLOCK.

UtahPete
07-16-2018, 06:27 PM
Well, you're the only one that thinks so. Please explain why you believe that.

bcer960
07-16-2018, 09:20 PM

Sorry but on everyone else's bike, its a clock

ned64
07-16-2018, 09:47 PM
Look in your owners manual it even tells you where the clock is on dash. Page 30 shows clock in upper right corner #3. Go to page 34 trip meter screen. Lower right above total miles on Spyder, is the amount of time the trip took. That is how I interpret the 2 different times that show on dash.

IdahoMtnSpyder
07-16-2018, 10:23 PM

Please let all us recalcitrant hard heads see a picture of what you are looking at! You're the first to ever mention this. That's why the skepticism! :hun:

IdahoMtnSpyder
07-16-2018, 10:36 PM
I just thought of something. I wonder if BUDS has a setting that will change the clock to run time hours. Dealers who rent Spyders might need/use that to know how much rental to charge. I'll send a PM to jcthorne and ask him since he a copy of BUDS.

bcer960
07-16-2018, 10:50 PM
I just thought of something. I wonder if BUDS has a setting that will change the clock to run time hours. Dealers who rent Spyders might need/use that to know how much rental to charge. I'll send a PM to jcthorne and ask him since he a copy of BUDS.

thats an interesting thought

Dmartin
07-17-2018, 01:28 AM
On my 2018 RTL the Clock is Good and on time all the time.. Love it.. Easy to see..

Woodaddict
07-17-2018, 01:41 AM

on the trip odo A & B, it counts miles, TIME, and ave speed

jcthorne
07-17-2018, 05:38 AM

No, BUDS does not.

My guess is the clock has not been set to correct time and just started counting from 00:00. Suggest the OP go into settings and set the clock. Not that it will keep correct time over the long term.

IdahoMtnSpyder
07-17-2018, 06:59 AM

I think you have it in 24 hr mode, not 12 hr AM PM mode!

Little Blue
07-17-2018, 07:14 AM
The Top right corner of the screen is where the clock(TIME) is displayed on my Spyder. I believe our Spyders are the same. The settings are listed in the owners manual. Good Luck.

FINFAN3DP
07-17-2018, 10:28 AM
No, BUDS does not.

My guess is the clock has not been set to correct time and just started counting from 00:00. Suggest the OP go into settings and set the clock. Not that it will keep correct time over the long term.

I keep resetting the time, and then every time I start the bike, it goes back to all zeros, and tracks the time the bike is running.

Bob Denman
07-17-2018, 10:34 AM
Hit your mode button until you get to preferences...
scroll down to the clock feature, hit the right arrow, and then you'll see what your options are.

...and SHOUTING, is unnecessary.

UtahPete
07-17-2018, 10:39 AM
I keep resetting the time, and then every time I start the bike, it goes back to all zeros, and tracks the time the bike is running.
Okay, thanks for the explanation finally. That's not how the clock is supposed to work and I've never seen that problem mentioned on this forum before.

IdahoMtnSpyder
07-17-2018, 11:05 AM
Check your battery condition. It may be weak enough to cause the cluster to reset but still start the bike. Start it with a jump battery attached & see if the clock resets.

FINFAN3DP
07-17-2018, 11:12 AM
Check your battery condition. It may be weak enough to cause the cluster to reset but still start the bike. Start it with a jump battery attached & see if the clock resets.

Thanks Idaho. Maybe that is it.

FINFAN3DP
07-18-2018, 04:03 PM
I set it today and it stayed till i shut the spyder off. Came out from the store, started the bike, and it went right back into run time mode. This is very frustrating. It must be a battery issue.

UtahPete
07-18-2018, 04:18 PM
I set it today and it stayed till i shut the spyder off. Came out from the store, started the bike, and it went right back into run time mode. This is very frustrating. It must be a battery issue.
Even if you get it to clock mode, it will not keep accurate time, so why fret over it?

DGoebel
07-18-2018, 05:15 PM

FINFAN3DP, if it was a battery issue, you wouldn't have come out of the store and started the bike. The bikes won't start if they're too low to hold the clock settings.

Some setting, maybe an "Easter Egg" type un-published multi button combination or maintenance /technician's setting has allowed that Clock display to only show Engine Run time. Almost sounds like a factory / technical test mode or something. Even the trip meter doesn't only show current engine run time, it shows run time for the trip, it doesn't reset each shut down.

Since you did say you were able to set the time in the settings I take it you have been through the normal settings area to see where 12 hr / 24 hr time setting is. This maybe an issue that your local dealer has to check/correct.

IdahoMtnSpyder
07-18-2018, 06:09 PM
If you're not aware the the battery voltage takes a steep drop when you hit the starter button because of the high current draw of the starter motor. Once the bike is running voltage is no problem as the alternator will crank out plenty enough power to power everything at full voltage. That's why I suggest you start the bike with a jumper battery attached. That way the voltage won't drop near as much. If the clock is resetting because of the voltage drop from a weak bike battery a jumper battery will confirm this the case if the clock does not reset while using the jumper.

FinFan, are you seeing any darkening of the cluster screen or weird action of the screen when you hit the starter? If so, then your battery for sure is bad. Another test you might do is start, stop, and restart the motor several times in a few minutes. This will draw down the battery faster than it will recharge. If the battery is near to crapping out you should be able to force it into a condition of not being strong enough to start. When that happens you'll see the screen black out.

FINFAN3DP, if it was a battery issue, you wouldn't have come out of the store and started the bike. The bikes won't start if they're too low to hold the clock settings.
This has been the case in all the reports here of the cluster going blank or black during starting. BUT, I'm going to say that there MAY, just may, be a voltage level that will cause the clock to reset but not blank out the cluster screen. If that in fact is what's happening to FinFan then it is the first time it has been reported here. If that is not what is happening then the next probability, in my mind, is a defective cluster. The only way to know is to run tests with a variable voltage source that won't dip when the starter button is pushed.

I had an occurrence once where the screen went crazy for a moment but the bike started.

IdahoMtnSpyder
07-18-2018, 06:16 PM
FinFan, if it turns out the cluster is defective it might not worth it to replace it. If you still have warranty left the cluster can be changed, but I'm pretty sure you'll have to start with a 00000 odometer reading. So which is worse, a screwed up clock or an odo with wrong mileage numbers? If you have no warranty coverage then replacing the cluster would in your case be like spending $800 for a second rate hard to read digital clock. You probably don't want that either, do you?

FINFAN3DP
07-18-2018, 08:35 PM
I still have a warranty
No the cluster does not dim at all. No other issues except the clock. Someone asked why i care? Cuz i want stuff to work right, and i want to make sure there isnt some other issue, like the battery.

Little Blue
07-19-2018, 05:03 AM
I would go to my local Spyder Dealership and let them see the problem. Good Luck :thumbup:

davehirst
07-19-2018, 10:36 AM
I used a timex strapped to my right handlebar. Velcro keeps it in place. 2015 RT S Spyder clock gains alot.

DGoebel
07-19-2018, 11:06 AM
I still have a warranty
No the cluster does not dim at all. No other issues except the clock. Someone asked why i care? Cuz i want stuff to work right, and i want to make sure there isnt some other issue, like the battery.
:agree: And something isn't right. Here's hoping the dealer can fix this for you.

Wrongway
07-19-2018, 05:43 PM
I still have a warranty
:agree:
Since you still have warranty, you should have the dealer check it out.
For all you doubters out there...........I actually have a 2014 that doesn't gain 7 minutes every week. My 2011 did.

Easy Rider
07-19-2018, 05:56 PM
It must be a battery issue.

Yes, it must be. Or a defective clock module (wherever that is).

BUT.....there is no "run time mode".
What you are seeing likely is "24 hour mode"......which starts at 00:00 for midnight when it resets.

Easy Rider
07-19-2018, 06:00 PM

Sounds logical but might not be true.
The starter takes a lot of CURRENT.
The rest of the electronics is voltage sensitive and may not like voltages below 11.
A weak battery might well run the starter......and drag the voltage down to around 10.....without you noticing anything unusual with the starting.

JBreault
07-13-2019, 03:19 PM
Where did you find the clock? I have searched everywhere for one.

Blake33
07-13-2019, 04:58 PM
So i figured out how to set the clock, but cant figure out how to view it. The top right hand corner of the screen seems like the logical place, but this only shows how long the bike has been running. I am sure it is something simple i am overlookingTake a look at a photo of my electronic display at the link below:

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=172914&d=1560358589

The time is displayed directly below the MPH indicator.

*** UPDATE *** Sorry - I didn't read all the posts before posting my reply. FINFAN3DP's Spyder doesn't have the electronic display.

Thopper
07-13-2019, 05:18 PM
My 3 month old 2018 RT clock keep perfect time.

Navydad
07-14-2019, 02:05 PM
Pray tell, what is this "CLOCK" of which you speak?

Retired by the way:roflblack:

bcer960
07-14-2019, 03:19 PM
I believe he is looking for a 52mm clock to buy. I sent him a link

KosherKid
07-14-2019, 03:42 PM
+1. Easy to read on the left handlebar.

FINFAN3DP
08-11-2019, 01:50 PM
UPDATE: Took it into the shop a few weeks ago, and they replaced the entire instrument cluster, clock now works as it should!! $50 deductible for BEST warranty.

Couple issues good and bad with replacing the cluster.

Good: Bike is brand new again, as the mileage went back to zero.

Bad: Getting new thing whereby you have to push the mode button to start the bike, which I never had to do before.
And does anyone know what this error thing on the bottom is? It goes away once the bike is on, so i'm guessing it's just a test?
You can't set the shock to a certain place and see where it is set, like on the old cluster.

Geep
08-16-2019, 06:17 PM
the clock on my 17 is small, and I found it hard to see quickly when i was driving. It also does not keep time. It's gained 9 mins since april. I removed the gas and temp guages and replaced them with a clock on the left side and a volt meter on the right.
Pictures?

bcer960
08-16-2019, 06:25 PM

Here you go. it's been a couple years, and there have worked great. As you can see, the clock on the bike is now 30 mins fast, and I re-set it in Apr.

Ray

Baron14y
08-17-2019, 12:29 PM

If it is "run time", why is it showing PM? :dontknow:

Baron14y
08-17-2019, 12:33 PM
I used a timex strapped to my right handlebar. Velcro keeps it in place. 2015 RT S Spyder clock gains alot.

I used a Casio and Velcro. Just to the right of the key.

FINFAN3DP
08-28-2019, 05:50 AM
Because it is fixed now. :)

Revalden
09-01-2019, 05:03 PM
UPDATE:

Good: Bike is brand new again, as the mileage went back to zero.

Bad: Getting new thing whereby you have to push the mode button to start the bike, which I never had to do before.
And does anyone know what this error thing on the bottom is? It goes away once the bike is on, so i'm guessing it's just a test?
You can't set the shock to a certain place and see where it is set, like on the old cluster.
Did you mean to say SHOCK or Clock?
Did you buy this Spyder new or used? Not needing to press the MODE button is a "benefit" of having the ECU flashed. Did you have that done? If so they may have set the clock to run time during their setup. And now with a new dash cluster your dealer may have BUDed-up something that makes it display the "Caution Symbol". Does your Spyder still run like it did before being BUDed?

FINFAN3DP
09-02-2019, 04:24 PM
All fixed. The new dash cluster wasn't set right for the shock control. It is fixed now and working like it should. Clock works, shock works, and i don't have a watch tied to the handlebars. :)