PDA

View Full Version : Time for New Shocks

JCWeatherman
07-10-2018, 09:00 PM
Hi All,
I have been riding my 2013 STL for about 4 years now. I have put 13,500 miles on it. I'm close to getting new tires, but I'm thinking I will get the shocks replaced also. Here are my questions:

Should I do it?
If so, what should I get? I see Elka Stage 2 and Fox mentioned. What is giving you the greatest success. I ride solo 80% of the time and the rest of the time is group riding with my bride on the back.
Where do you get them? Dealer? Online?

BTW, I have already changed the sway bar and links for Baja Ron models. The sway bar made a big difference. The reason I am considering new shocks is it seems a little mushy in tight curves, and in Pennsylvania we have a lot of tight curves!

Chupaca
07-10-2018, 09:07 PM
That is not a lot of miles and I would imagine your shocks are fine. If you are not having problems with the handling. If adjustable you could change the adjustment and note the difference. My rear shock has 40,000 miles (6 years) and works fine even double up. I did change a lot on the front end due to the ryding I do and put on the Fox Podium shock and happy with them...:thumbup:.

UtahPete
07-10-2018, 09:15 PM
That is not a lot of miles and I would imagine your shocks are fine. If you are not having problems with the handling. If adjustable you could change the adjustment and note the difference. My rear shock has 40,000 miles (6 years) and works fine even double up. I did change a lot on the front end due to the ryding I do and put on the Fox Podium shock and happy with them...:thumbup:.
:agree: Maybe you're looking for a way to justify the decision you have already made in your head?

DGoebel
07-10-2018, 11:17 PM
Or consider BR's Shock Spring Pre-Load Adjuster Kit, (https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?23928-New-sponsor-here-for-Filters-amp-Helmets) there's another thread going on right now about them. I too doubt your shocks are already bad, but the adjusters do allow you tweak your stock shocks for a lot less than the Elka's or Fox's.

JCWeatherman
07-11-2018, 04:12 PM
Just to clarify: I'm not saying that I NEED new shocks or that my shocks are bad. I'm just wondering if different shock would make a significant difference in handling. If new shocks or pre-load devices would make a great difference, I'm in, but I'm not just out to spend money.

Chupaca
07-11-2018, 04:53 PM
Just to clarify: I'm not saying that I NEED new shocks or that my shocks are bad. I'm just wondering if different shock would make a significant difference in handling. If new shocks or pre-load devices would make a great difference, I'm in, but I'm not just out to spend money.

If your a spirited ryder you will feel the difference. I have wtih every step I made. Started with the swaybar, pitbull shock relocators, Fox podium shocks and BLUEKNIGHT911 shock relocators (moved them out another 11/2"). I do suggest whatever changes you make make them one at a time and then ryde for a while to see the effect of each...:thumbup:p

trikermutha
07-11-2018, 05:54 PM

Yes go with Baja Rons shock adjusters they will help with your twists and turns and not have to spend 700 bucks for new shocks.

Yes they do help.

jaherbst
07-11-2018, 08:46 PM
Hi All,
I have been riding my 2013 STL for about 4 years now. I have put 13,500 miles on it. I'm close to getting new tires, but I'm thinking I will get the shocks replaced also. Here are my questions:

Should I do it?
If so, what should I get? I see Elka Stage 2 and Fox mentioned. What is giving you the greatest success. I ride solo 80% of the time and the rest of the time is group riding with my bride on the back.
Where do you get them? Dealer? Online?

BTW, I have already changed the sway bar and links for Baja Ron models. The sway bar made a big difference. The reason I am considering new shocks is it seems a little mushy in tight curves, and in Pennsylvania we have a lot of tight curves!

OK OK sorry, thought you said Socks! And I was wondering why. :shocked:

Jack

NSPYTE
07-13-2018, 01:45 PM
I first went with the Baja ron bar..then switched to the Can-Am/Fox shock kit (thru ebay) right after i bought the bike. My bike only has 4700 miles on it now and corners like crazy with the Fox shocks and bar...that is riding solo. When riding double if feels a bit light up front (probably like a stock bike). Well worth if for single riding in my opinion.

UtahPete
07-13-2018, 01:49 PM
I first went with the Baja ron bar..then switched to the Can-Am/Fox shock kit (thru ebay) right after i bought the bike. My bike only has 4700 miles on it now and corners like crazy with the Fox shocks and bar...that is riding solo. When riding double if feels a bit light up front (probably like a stock bike). Well worth if for single riding in my opinion.
Which bike are you talking about?

fulltimer
07-16-2018, 08:00 PM
I also have a '13 STL. I am not a spirited rider and most of my riding is 2 up. In my opinion, the stock suspension on the '13s were marginal to say the least,brand new. I now have 36K on mine and the original setup was sacked. Just 2 weeks ago I installed a new set of Elka stage 2 front and back, and what a difference. Now the tires just stay on the ground. Period! And my wife's back has fallen in love with that rear unit.
I would suggest this. With that low mileage, I don't think your suspension is shot. If it really bothers you then by all means get the fronts. You will fall in love with the bike all over again.

Flamewinger
07-17-2018, 11:25 AM
Within 500 miles I had Fox shocks installed because coming from a two wheeler I felt the OEM suspension squishy. After 10k miles I noticed the front wheels were sagging so I adjusted the front shocks and figured they weren’t going to last much longer so I called Elka and talked to them. They recommended Stage 1 shocks as I don’t race nor ride with a passenger. I noticed a big difference. Problem is it was a LOT stiffer and the potholes were much more noticeable. They made for a rougher ride. Now on the RT I decided to go with BajaRon shock adjusters as I can dial them in to the comfort I want. I had 21k miles when I traded it in. The rear tire had been replaced but the front tires were barely half worn.