PDA

View Full Version : USB cable on 2018 RT

billythekidd
07-07-2018, 05:00 PM
Has anyone tried to run a USB extension cable from the FTrunk to the read of the bike. I like using the trunk in the rear for my phone and not have to mess around in the front. If you have done this where did you bring it out of the front trunk and what length of usb extension did you use?

Thanks

Willy

Flamewinger
07-07-2018, 06:11 PM
I ran a Lamonster cable from the front cargo to the dash so I can have easier access to the phone. Not sure why I'd want to move it to the trunk as it would still be out of sight. I store my helmet in the front when not traveling overnight so if I had the phone in the front I can take it out and put helmet and jacket in. More easier.

I plugged cable to USB and it goes in behind the battery panel and I routed it up to the center windshield bracket hole. It requires removing the mirrors and headlight frame panel to get better access to routing the cable. To route to the trunk would require a lot more panels to be removed. Not sure it would work under the seat so it would have to be under that and its not easy.

billythekidd
07-07-2018, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the reply. Where did you route it out of the front trunk? I do not have a problem pulling off panels (it seems everything you do requires that) but just wondering how to get it out of the front trunk and have no leaks.

Thanks

Willy

Flamewinger
07-07-2018, 08:55 PM
I ran it behind the battery cover. Doubt there will be much of a leak but you could use some RTV to seal it. There are no other holes that I know of. Have fun getting to the trunk. You're gonna need at least two Lamonster cables to get it all the way. Not sure how the charging and data will be with such a long cable.

billythekidd
07-08-2018, 07:13 AM
Thanks again for taking the time to reply. I just got a 10ft usb extension cable from Walmart for about 5 bucks and I noticed that to the right of the battery compartment that you mentioned there is a little plug that comes out. I am going to use that area to run the cable and also my put my trickle connector through there also.

Again... Thank you for your info.

Willy