PDA

View Full Version : GPS

gena1364
07-07-2018, 03:41 PM
what is a good GPS that you use

IdahoMtnSpyder
07-07-2018, 03:58 PM
How budget constrained are you, if any? Do you want to keep it under $300 or so or are you ready to spend up to $1000?

DGoebel
07-07-2018, 04:09 PM
Also, what Spyder are you considering this for?
All Spyders can use a cell phone's GPS, there's different mounts that allow a cell phone to be mounted between the middle of handlebars, on one side of the bars, or over the dash.
I mounted my cell over the top of the dash like this.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=151049&d=1500245545
It has constant power and sits at a good angle.

gena1364
07-07-2018, 05:56 PM
How budget constrained are you, if any? Do you want to keep it under $300 or so or are you ready to spend up to $1000?,
lol I guess I am on a budget not 1000.00 but 300 would be ok

JKMSPYDER
07-07-2018, 06:30 PM
You can use free Google maps if you have a smart phone but it uses a lot of data. For less than $300 you can get a really nice Garmin or TomTom GPS that is for automobiles but will work on the Spyder. But it won’t be waterproof and won’t be Bluetooth capable if you wish to hear turn by turn directions thru your headset. What you spend depends on what type of bells and whistles you want.

UtahPete
07-07-2018, 06:42 PM
What do you want it for exactly?

billythekidd
07-07-2018, 08:06 PM
I would recommend the Zumo series by Garmin. I am putting a 595LM on my 2018 RTL. They are a bit pricy but worth the money if you do a lot of riding in places you have never been before. I know someone will say that the built in maps on the 2018 (with a smart phone) are there so why use a Garmin.... but anyways... We just did an 11 day ride from CO to Vancouver Island and I was able to plan the whole trip on my Mac before hand and transfer it to the Garmin. As with anything on these machines, it is a personal preference thing.

willy

BoxyLady
07-07-2018, 08:55 PM
+1 on the Garmin 595. We liked it so much we put one on the Spyder and the Ducati. Fantastic device.

RZ-Jackrabbit
07-07-2018, 10:43 PM
I use the nuvi 57 Garmin the same one I use for work. Bought the ram ball to Garmin adapter so I could use the regular mount for the Garmin. I works good and very little issue with not being able to see the screen. Remember that any apps for phone mapping do not work when you do not have cel service and those are the times that the mapping can be very useful. The Garmin does not have this issue.
http://www.gpsbikemount.com/ramtogarminadapter.html

gena1364
07-07-2018, 10:54 PM
What do you want it for exactly? just to find my way home if I get lost lol I would like it to be bluetooth

IdahoMtnSpyder
07-07-2018, 11:18 PM
I use a Samsung tablet, Tab A 8.0, with Sygic nav app. Nice big screen and can check email during stops! Not waterproof but I haven't found that to be a real issue. One time during rain I put it into the trunk and since I have it BT connected via a BT receiver into the GPS input I kept getting the turn by turn verbal instructions!

PistonBlown
07-07-2018, 11:22 PM
I've tried phone/tablet, car GPS and motorbike GPS.

If your going to use it all the time, do long journeys, want to operate it while riding/wearing gloves, ride in the rain etc. Then I'd recommend a proper motorbike one e.g. Garmin 595 or 396.

If its just occasional use, you don't need to operate it while riding or try and avoid the rain then the phone/tablet works fine.

I found a car one tends to be too much of a compromise either way.

If you go the phone/tablet route then there are plenty of available mounts, though something that uses the ram mount system is probably the best way to go. Don't bother with a Ram Aquamount though because in my experience they are useless (a ziplock bag works better). I'm not a fan of using google maps on the move because its reliant on data all the time - so if you get lost where there's no signal your stuck. There are several GPS apps available, just choose one that can work 'off-line' i.e. has built in maps & routing and if possible a motorbike mode. The problems with the phone option is that they are difficult if not impossible to use when riding and the screens can be made unreadable by the sun (though car GPS's are normally even worse for this), can be fiddly to remove from your Spyder when you stop at a gas station etc.

Why I think a Garmin motorbike one is the answer if you have serious need are:

Can be operated on the move and have screens that can be easily operated with gloves
Screens work in sunshine
Come with all the stuff you need to wire them in and mount them + can me removed in a second when you stop
Waterproof and rugged (I've dropped my 590 a couple of times to no ill effect).

Of course the big problem with Garmin ones are the cost as they are expensive for a dedicated use item - though you can use them in your car/truck as well.

PaladinLV
07-08-2018, 02:53 AM
If you have a smartphone use WAZE and get the required mounts.
If you want dedicated GPS, Garmin Zumo, but the accuracy and correctness of WAZE will be far superior.

AJ

bcer960
07-08-2018, 11:11 AM
As you can see, if you ask 10 people, you'll get 12 answers....

My preference is the Tomtom Rider 400.

Ray

Geep
07-08-2018, 11:19 AM
I am a big fan of refurbished electronic....same warranty as new.. recently bought a Garmin 50 DriveSmart auto gps for $90 🇨🇦

Easy Rider
07-08-2018, 05:57 PM
just to find my way home if I get lost lol I would like it to be bluetooth

IF....you already have a smart phone, then the answer to that probably is easy......and cheap: zero dollars to use a free GPS app and the bluetooth capability already built into the phone. They really do work quite good.

Battery life might be a consideration though. In GPS use, the phone uses quite a bit of power, especially if you keep the screen ON all the time.

gena1364
07-08-2018, 06:50 PM
I use a Samsung tablet, Tab A 8.0, with Sygic nav app. Nice big screen and can check email during stops! Not waterproof but I haven't found that to be a real issue. One time during rain I put it into the trunk and since I have it BT connected via a BT receiver into the GPS input I kept getting the turn by turn verbal instructions!

Thanks so much

gena1364
07-08-2018, 08:47 PM
Also, what Spyder are you considering this for?
All Spyders can use a cell phone's GPS, there's different mounts that allow a cell phone to be mounted between the middle of handlebars, on one side of the bars, or over the dash.
I mounted my cell over the top of the dash like this.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=151049&d=1500245545
It has constant power and sits at a good angle.

ok great help thanks I have a f3 limited

GaryinWI
07-09-2018, 04:59 PM
I have had a Zumo for 5 years and use it biking, ATVing and snowmobiling. Works great. Has free BaseCamp software for making turn-by-turn routes on computer and transfer to gps. Garmin has very good tech support also. Much more capability (tire pressure sensing for instance) than you get with the phone apps. More cost also of course.

hellridgeryder
07-09-2018, 07:40 PM
I have a Zumo 550 I just updated with 2019 North America maps I now longer have a use for. Left hand controls for a motorcycle with bluetooth. Would sell worth the money

gena1364
07-09-2018, 07:51 PM
If you have a smartphone use WAZE and get the required mounts.
If you want dedicated GPS, Garmin Zumo, but the accuracy and correctness of WAZE will be far superior.

AJ
I just loaded the waze , it looks good thanks

jbim
07-09-2018, 09:20 PM
if you plan to use your phone as the GPS unit, you should look at Genius Maps, the APP for the 2018 BRP Connect. You can use that APP on your phone directly if you do not have a 2018 model. The maps are downloaded and stored on the phone so no data. You can download only the maps you need as they are separated by region within North America and also Europe. There are fees to download so you must compare there fees gainst buying a standalone GPS unit.

Full disclosure, I have a 2018 F3L and have tried to use Genius maps thru the display. It's a bit small and too far for my eyes, so I am using as well my BMW Navigator V from my previous bike. That said, it's nice to have the APP on my phone in case I don't have the GPS with me and got lost.

gena1364
07-11-2018, 08:17 PM

awesome idea

gena1364
07-11-2018, 08:19 PM
if you plan to use your phone as the GPS unit, you should look at Genius Maps, the APP for the 2018 BRP Connect. You can use that APP on your phone directly if you do not have a 2018 model. The maps are downloaded and stored on the phone so no data. You can download only the maps you need as they are separated by region within North America and also Europe. There are fees to download so you must compare there fees gainst buying a standalone GPS unit.

Full disclosure, I have a 2018 F3L and have tried to use Genius maps thru the display. It's a bit small and too far for my eyes, so I am using as well my BMW Navigator V from my previous bike. That said, it's nice to have the APP on my phone in case I don't have the GPS with me and got lost.

I have a smart phone that I can use but I thought a gps it would be easier on the eyes , thanks for you help

Mazo EMS2
07-11-2018, 10:19 PM
Just replaced an old Nuvi 1450 that I paid over $300 for years ago, with a new Garmin Drive 5. Got it for half the price I paid for the Nuvi, and it does more than the Nuvi did. Used it today to get us around Deadwood and the sites with a route I uploaded to it from Tyre.

Gcclubs
07-12-2018, 12:45 AM
I find my cell works well and I use the free app HereWeGo. You can download maps so you don’t need to use any data. I download maps when I can use WiFi. Overall it works well and I also use it in my car even though I have built in gps in my Audi SQ5

PW2013STL
07-13-2018, 02:11 PM
I just installed a Garmin Nuvi 2595 on my F3s. I found a holder on Ebay for $28 and using our Garmin with lifetime maps and real time traffic. I took it for a test drive before I set up the hard wired power connection, and it proved that it will work. It is now hard wired. I can still do the touch screen with this set up and it should be protected in all but monsoon rains.

I looked on Ebay and found a number of 2595 LMs for sale for under $80. Less $ spent than on the Zumo 590 we installed after our 660 bit the dirt!

gena1364
08-07-2018, 08:01 PM
You can use free Google maps if you have a smart phone but it uses a lot of data. For less than $300 you can get a really nice Garmin or TomTom GPS that is for automobiles but will work on the Spyder. But it won’t be waterproof and won’t be Bluetooth capable if you wish to hear turn by turn directions thru your headset. What you spend depends on what type of bells and whistles you want.

I did not think of data usage , so I went with the garmen thanks for your input