PDA

View Full Version : Received BRP Saddle Bags & Rack !

Firefly
06-01-2009, 02:03 PM
Well, the magic brown truck showed up today - with my BRP Givi cases and rack system.

Will probably install tonight.

Both the cases AND the racks are quick-release.

The Racks are the Monokey style - and come off the bike with a simple 1/4 turn of 3 screws using a special supplied tool. :thumbup:

So maybe 60 seconds to remove the whole setup!

Exactly what I had hoped for !

Will post pics later.

COOLMACHINE
06-01-2009, 03:22 PM
Can't wait to see the pics Firefly. Hope the install goes smoothly for you. Jerry

bone crusher
06-01-2009, 04:35 PM
Well, the magic brown truck showed up today - with my BRP Givi cases and rack system.

Will probably install tonight.

Both the cases AND the racks are quick-release.

The Racks are the Monokey style - and come off the bike with a simple 1/4 turn of 3 screws using a special supplied tool. :thumbup:

So maybe 60 seconds to remove the whole setup!

Exactly what I had hoped for !

Will post pics later.

Is this an easy install? No drilling, welding, or anything that will cost me my life??

Firefly
06-01-2009, 04:46 PM
Is this an easy install? No drilling, welding, or anything that will cost me my life??

Looks really easy---- will let you know in about an hour......:D

bjt
06-01-2009, 06:43 PM
:2thumbs:

Al Bragg
06-01-2009, 07:12 PM
:2thumbs: good luck on the install.

Firefly
06-01-2009, 09:47 PM
Well - got them installed - as per usual---- what should have been 1.5 hours took 3 !

Some of that was due to a couple minor mistakes - and that I have some electronic junk installed that was a bit in the way.

I'll post pics and tips sometime tomorrow so hopefully I can save others some time and trouble.

The install is not difficult - but as with anything on the Spyder - small hands would help!

Now with everything back together - it looks SHARP!

The RACKS come off really easy - maybe 20 seconds per side. The bags click on and off in about 5 seconds. With the racks off you would never know there was a bag system on the bike.

The whole operation is about as slick as you can get.

The way they did the rear turn signals looks pretty good - I doubt anyone would notice it was not 'normal'.

Too dark for good pics tonight - so I'll shoot some tomorrow.

The only real problem I see is that it makes it more difficult to access the battery - but other than that I give these a solid 10 !:2thumbs:

jeuchler
06-01-2009, 09:55 PM
Well - got them installed - as per usual---- what should have been 1.5 hours took 3 !

Some of that was due to a couple minor mistakes - and that I have some electronic junk installed that was a bit in the way.

I'll post pics and tips sometime tomorrow so hopefully I can save others some time and trouble.

The install is not difficult - but as with anything on the Spyder - small hands would help!

Now with everything back together - it looks SHARP!

The RACKS come off really easy - maybe 20 seconds per side. The bags click on and off in about 5 seconds. With the racks off you would never know there was a bag system on the bike.

The whole operation is about as slick as you can get.

The way they did the rear turn signals looks pretty good - I doubt anyone would notice it was not 'normal'.

Too dark for good pics tonight - so I'll shoot some tomorrow.

The only real problem I see is that it makes it more difficult to access the battery - but other than that I give these a solid 10 !:2thumbs:

Thanks, Firefly. Looking forward to the photo essay!

NautiBrit
06-02-2009, 12:34 AM
I'm looking forward to your install post. My bags were shipped today, so I'm already planning my weekend.

billclemen
06-02-2009, 12:34 AM
Can't wait to see the pictures. Thanks!

Firefly
06-02-2009, 09:07 AM
Bags installed.

Firefly
06-02-2009, 09:09 AM
And some more....

Bags on----- bags off!

Firefly
06-02-2009, 09:11 AM
Racks on - Racks off !

Firefly
06-02-2009, 09:12 AM
No Racks!

Firefly
06-02-2009, 09:13 AM
I'll post install pics and tips later tonight in the tech thread.

Overall I really like these !

FANG
06-02-2009, 09:15 AM
Looks great Firefly thanks for the pics :2thumbs:

Lamonster
06-02-2009, 09:20 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpP_igMAZXI

zzneonzz
06-02-2009, 09:20 AM
Looks great how difficult was the initial instalation?

ataDude
06-02-2009, 09:31 AM
Have you thought about turn signals built into the bags? Seems like a fairly easy deal... with quick-disconnect electrical connections?

Firefly
06-02-2009, 09:36 AM
Kewl video--- that helps show how they work a lot-- and I don't do video!

On a scale of 1-5 with 5 being the most difficult and 1 being the easiest - I would put this install at a 2.

Very easy install - but time consuming due to removing all the panels.

NOTE: The BRP instructions are pretty bad - they left a complete step out and don't make some other things clear---- but I'll post pics and make them clear .

If you can use a ratchet and open end wrenches - this is a breeze. I could do it in an hour now. I wish I had some of those open-end ratchets - would have made it even easier.

The muffler mount was easy with the Hindle - it lowers your pipe about 1" at the mounting point. If mounting with a stock pipe they show something about aligning the clamp - so that part I wouldn't know about - but I think you have to loosen the stock clamp and turn it a bit.

The only downside I see is getting to the battery will require more work since you will have to remove the turn signal on that side now.

aka1004
06-02-2009, 09:55 AM
Kewl video--- that helps show how they work a lot-- and I don't do video!

On a scale of 1-5 with 5 being the most difficult and 1 being the easiest - I would put this install at a 2.

Very easy install - but time consuming due to removing all the panels.

NOTE: The BRP instructions are pretty bad - they left a complete step out and don't make some other things clear---- but I'll post pics and make them clear .

If you can use a ratchet and open end wrenches - this is a breeze. I could do it in an hour now. I wish I had some of those open-end ratchets - would have made it even easier.

The muffler mount was easy with the Hindle - it lowers your pipe about 1" at the mounting point. If mounting with a stock pipe they show something about aligning the clamp - so that part I wouldn't know about - but I think you have to loosen the stock clamp and turn it a bit.

The only downside I see is getting to the battery will require more work since you will have to remove the turn signal on that side now.

so no drilling right? or permanent changes to any panels?
do they give a new air vent piece for the rear black panels?

Firefly
06-02-2009, 10:05 AM
No drilling or permanent modifications to bike at all. Just swapping parts. Yes, they give you new rear vent panels with the holes cut in them.

Also, while the color panels are a separate item that you buy - they are REQUIRED - other wise the rear reflector is not held in place and you would have 7 small screw holes wide open to the elements. (the color panels screw on from the inside of the case using 7 small screws).

Not sure why they don't mention this - but you gotta have a set.

Capt John
06-02-2009, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the pics.

Do you have NMN triple play? If so, how did that effect the moving of the turn signals?

aka1004
06-02-2009, 10:11 AM
No drilling or permanent modifications to bike at all. Just swapping parts. Yes, they give you new rear vent panels with the holes cut in them.

Also, while the color panels are a separate item that you buy - they are REQUIRED - other wise the rear reflector is not held in place and you would have 7 small screw holes wide open to the elements.

Not sure why they don't mention this - but you gotta have a set.

thank you
oh :cus: i been waiting to get corbin bags but think i will get just these now.
i can get 100 bucks off from a vendor on these now.
kinda bad timing (just spent 1600 bucks on sway bar,race air flow,all carbon leo vince and amplifier) but i will just eat less. :D

WILL WORK FOR FOOD!!

selling used hindle, evoluzione hi flow air filter with inexpensive hid kit included!!!

Firefly
06-02-2009, 10:23 AM
They certainly won't hold as much as the Corbin setup - but being able to pop them off and carry in as actual luggage is what I was after!

I don't have the Triple Play - I have the Evoluzione version which is similar.

You won't have any problems using this with the triple play or any other light mods - all you're doing is extending the wires going to the turn signals - all plug and pray:pray: !

Firefly
06-02-2009, 10:27 AM
YouTube - Can-Am Spyder roadster R-35 Rigid Saddlebag Kit and Touring Accessories (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpP_igMAZXI)

Notice the corners of the shield and the wind shutter thigns? They have a kind of squared-off look------ Don't think I like the looks of either - The windshutters look pretty cheesy.

WackyDan
06-02-2009, 11:56 AM
Looks like they pasted a reflector over the Givi logo in the center of the bags and just slapped on the BRP one off center. I have the Givis.

I don't like the look of the turn signal brackets. I actually do like them down on my rear fender.

I can't fit my full face helmets in the V35's either, though I can fit my wife's helmet in the V46 top case.

I'd like removable racks, but I can live with not taking them off too.

Only thing to be careful of with the V35's is not to let the case flop open as the little plastic/rubber cords that hold them 90 degrees to the road will yank out of their mounting holes. Had that happen on one side so far.

Firefly
06-02-2009, 12:08 PM
Looks like they pasted a reflector over the Givi logo in the center of the bags and just slapped on the BRP one off center. I have the Givis.

I don't like the look of the turn signal brackets. I actually do like them down on my rear fender.

I can't fit my full face helmets in the V35's either, though I can fit my wife's helmet in the V46 top case.

I'd like removable racks, but I can live with not taking them off too.

Only thing to be careful of with the V35's is not to let the case flop open as the little plastic/rubber cords that hold them 90 degrees to the road will yank out of their mounting holes. Had that happen on one side so far.

Have not tried to put a helmet in one - I question whether it will really fit one. Figured I would get a top case too - which I know I can rig to the BRP sport rack using the BRP plate - but it would be nice if BRP released their own GIVI branded top case that snaps into the sport rack. Other than using it for the passenger backrest - the BRP sport rack is pretty useless IMO.

wolfshead1
06-02-2009, 12:48 PM
Thank you Firefly.My question is will the rack fit the V46 side cases?Can you please let ud know about passenger peg and seat comfort with them installed?
I haven't ordered yet,thought about a red Spyder but yours looks really classy.

thx,
Terry

Donk45
06-02-2009, 12:52 PM
I get so excited when the magic brown and/or the white/purple truck show up with moto goods.:ohyea:

Firefly
06-02-2009, 01:42 PM
Thank you Firefly.My question is will the rack fit the V46 side cases?Can you please let ud know about passenger peg and seat comfort with them installed?

thx,
Terry

Thanks!

Since the passenger footrests are not moved or changed, I don't think there should be any difference to the passenger. They flip out just like before.

I do not believe the V46 cases can mount on these racks - but maybe - would have to ask a GIVI dealer. I think with the IND7 racks you had a different rack style for the 35 and for the 46.

NancysToy
06-02-2009, 02:49 PM

thx,
Terry
The V46 cases take a straight rack, not the contoured rack that fits the V35 cases. BRP does not sell their racks separately, you would have to use either the I7 or the GIVI racks to mount these bags.
-Scotty http://www.pmdawnonline.com/forum/images/smilies/velo.gif

bone crusher
06-02-2009, 03:00 PM
thank you
oh :cus: i been waiting to get corbin bags but think i will get just these now.
i can get 100 bucks off from a vendor on these now.
kinda bad timing (just spent 1600 bucks on sway bar,race air flow,all carbon leo vince and amplifier) but i will just eat less. :D

WILL WORK FOR FOOD!!

selling used hindle, evoluzione hi flow air filter with inexpensive hid kit included!!!

You can save a lot more from the dealership in Pitt that we work with...he'll take off a boatload!

zzneonzz
06-02-2009, 03:07 PM
You can save a lot more from the dealership in Pitt that we work with...he'll take off a boatload!

You happen to know what price he is asking shipped?

aka1004
06-02-2009, 03:55 PM

oh yea i forgot about him thank you:thumbup:

Putt-Putt
06-06-2009, 01:41 PM
Do they make a top box mount for this system?

NancysToy
06-06-2009, 01:49 PM
Do they make a top box mount for this system?
No, but if you still have the standard tailpiece and not the sport rack, the GIVI SR770 topcase rack will fit and mount a GIVI V46 topcase. As an alternative, Kewlmetal makes a rack and topcase mount that will likely fit, too.

Firefly
06-06-2009, 04:14 PM
How does the GIVI SR770 rack mount to the Spyder?? Are you sure it will work with the BRP racks?

NancysToy
06-06-2009, 04:26 PM
How does the GIVI SR770 rack mount to the Spyder?? Are you sure it will work with the BRP racks?
You have to remove the tailpiece, install some brackets, and cut holes for pedestals into the tailpiece. See this thread. (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9119&highlight=givi+sr770) Doesn't mount on the racks at all. Similar mounting method for Kewlmetal unit (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6581&highlight=kewlmetal+rack), but I think they actually replace the stock tailpiece.

Roaddog2
06-06-2009, 09:47 PM
Have not tried to put a helmet in one - I question whether it will really fit one. Figured I would get a top case too - which I know I can rig to the BRP sport rack using the BRP plate - but it would be nice if BRP released their own GIVI branded top case that snaps into the sport rack. Other than using it for the passenger backrest - the BRP sport rack is pretty useless IMO.
:agree:I'm sure it's on there drawing boards nice job with pics :thumbup:

Firefly
06-09-2009, 06:36 PM
Here are some install pics with some notes---- didn't really have time for a 'step-by-step', but hopefully these pics will clear some things up.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11653

Capt John
06-21-2009, 09:01 AM
I have a XL Sy Max II full face helmet. I did get it to fit in the bags. It was a snug fit, but IMO not too bad. Just a little extra pressure to get the bag to close. I tried it serveral different ways to make it fit. There a pic in my album titled "MY SPYDER MOD PICS" Sorry, I need to learn how to post pics here.

tatt2r
06-21-2009, 09:39 AM
i wonder if you can just order rack system i just picked up givi bags from dealer but they have the set up that you cant remove racks ...the bags look the same ...anybody???? ever order them if so ...part number???:Dplease

Firefly
06-21-2009, 05:10 PM
i wonder if you can just order rack system i just picked up givi bags from dealer but they have the set up that you cant remove racks ...the bags look the same ...anybody???? ever order them if so ...part number???:Dplease

The bags should fit the BRP rack setup just fine - not sure about ordering the rack by itself. I would think your dealer could order what you need - but it might be easier to order the whole thing and see if the dealer will take the unused GIVI bags back////

NancysToy
06-21-2009, 06:44 PM
The bags should fit the BRP rack setup just fine - not sure about ordering the rack by itself. I would think your dealer could order what you need - but it might be easier to order the whole thing and see if the dealer will take the unused GIVI bags back////
I am not so sure the dealer can get these parts. Our experience is that even though there are part numbers for the accessory bits, the dealers often cannot obtain them. Waithed 15 months for a decal for the foglights, even though there was a number in the instructions. For the BRP racks, there are 27 pieces without the bags or color panels. Chances of getting all 27 are kind of thin, IMO.

Smylinacha
06-21-2009, 07:01 PM
Bags installed.

Looks really nice Firefly!:D

Zerocool
06-21-2009, 09:26 PM
Here are some install pics with some notes---- didn't really have time for a 'step-by-step', but hopefully these pics will clear some things up.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11653

Thanks Firefly.

I just ordered the bags, comfort seat, and passenger foot extensions; was on the :spyder: when I went to the dealer, so I gotta go back in the car to pick the stuff up :yes:

Next, a C.H.A.D. Windshield and possibly new lights from NMN.

Motza
06-21-2009, 09:53 PM
Firefly, you did a good job on your Spyder, looks awsome! :thumbup:
Do the bags have built in turn signals, or brake lights?

NautiBrit
06-21-2009, 11:29 PM
Firefly,
Thanks for posting the instructions and pics. :bowdown:I finally got around to adding the bags and comfort seat this weekend and couldn't be happier. From a design standpoint, it looks like the bags complement the width of the front end and balance the whole bike - IMHO.

NancysToy
06-22-2009, 06:49 AM
The bags come standard with reflectors only. Please also note that you must order the color panels to complete the bags...and to hold in the reflectors. NMN has announced his Givi Genesis lights for the bags, which should be available soon.

Firefly
06-22-2009, 08:26 AM

No built in lights. The turn signals get moved during the install. NMN has some light kits for the GIVI bags that I'll be taking a look at soon!

Putt-Putt
06-22-2009, 03:45 PM
I believe Givi has a light kit for the bags and the top box. But will they work with the Spyder who knows. :spyder:

glynnk
06-23-2009, 05:22 PM
Based on comments and reporting from Firefly on the BRP saddle bags, I'm on the verge of ordering a set, but before I do that I'd like to get a fresh perspective from Firefly and others that have them on to determine if they're still happy with them. What do you guys and gals say?

In addition, assuming everyone is still happy, where's the place to get these? Is there a vendor that I should contact? I know my local dealer will charge an "arm and a leg" for them. Is there someone more economical?

Appreciate any advice/guidance.

Glynn K

Firefly
06-23-2009, 10:22 PM
Based on comments and reporting from Firefly on the BRP saddle bags, I'm on the verge of ordering a set, but before I do that I'd like to get a fresh perspective from Firefly and others that have them on to determine if they're still happy with them. What do you guys and gals say?

In addition, assuming everyone is still happy, where's the place to get these? Is there a vendor that I should contact? I know my local dealer will charge an "arm and a leg" for them. Is there someone more economical?

Appreciate any advice/guidance.

Glynn K

I love the bags - had them on a few weeks now and basically leave them on all the time. Been able to do far much more shopping with them on - they have been just great. I have not done an overnight with them yet - but they will be just great for that. Been leaving my topcase on too - works just great.

I got mine from robsperformance.com .

glynnk
06-23-2009, 10:37 PM
Firefly--Thanks for the info. I've sent the Robs Performance folks an email.

Thanks,
Glynn K

Star Cruiser
06-23-2009, 10:38 PM
A really nice look. I like the Black silver combination. I too have ordered the Corbins and plan on leaving them on the bike all the time. Still a nice sleek looking bag.....Thanks for the pictures

Putt-Putt
06-24-2009, 08:22 AM
I have the GIVI bags & top box. I leave them on all the time also. They are great, love them.

BRPjunkie
06-24-2009, 09:59 AM
Givi bags were added thinking they would be nice for trips. Since putting them on, they are never off. They provide so much convenience for around town riding as a place for jackets and helmets while leaving trunk space available. They really add some balance to the back of the bike offsetting the wide front profile. Whether I7, Givi or BRP version, they are a great addition. Price and turn signal location are your choices. While the quick disconnect feature of the BRP design is great, I doubt that you will be taking them off very often. I think the big advantage of the BRP quick detach bracket is for maintenance, access to battery, etc. Some don't like the look of Givi rear fender turn signals and some don't like the stalks that BRP uses, but it's really about the convenience of the cases.

Putt-Putt
06-24-2009, 08:34 PM
Givi bags were added thinking they would be nice for trips. Since putting them on, they are never off. They provide so much convenience for around town riding as a place for jackets and helmets while leaving trunk space available. They really add some balance to the back of the bike offsetting the wide front profile. Whether I7, Givi or BRP version, they are a great addition. Price and turn signal location are your choices. While the quick disconnect feature of the BRP design is great, I doubt that you will be taking them off very often. I think the big advantage of the BRP quick detach bracket is for maintenance, access to battery, etc. Some don't like the look of Givi rear fender turn signals and some don't like the stalks that BRP uses, but it's really about the convenience of the cases.

Right on!:2thumbs: :ohyea:

blue92
06-24-2009, 09:17 PM
Firefly,

We also had the saddlebags, passenger extensions and seat installed. The Spyder looks great. Mine is gloss black with all the upgrades. My question is, I have a Hindle muffler and I noticed that after the saddlebags were installed, the muffler sounds louder. Did you notice this change in your bike as well? The saddlebags were installed by our local Can Am dealer. Your bike looks great by the way. Thanks.:ohyea:

NancysToy
06-24-2009, 09:36 PM
Firefly,

We also had the saddlebags, passenger extensions and seat installed. The Spyder looks great. Mine is gloss black with all the upgrades. My question is, I have a Hindle muffler and I noticed that after the saddlebags were installed, the muffler sounds louder. Did you notice this change in your bike as well? The saddlebags were installed by our local Can Am dealer. Your bike looks great by the way. Thanks.:ohyea:
Make sure they tightened the muffler clamp back up when they lowered the muffler.

Firefly
06-24-2009, 11:12 PM
Firefly,

No extra noise here. I would check and see if anything came loose.

blue92
06-25-2009, 03:38 PM
I checked the clamp. It was tight although I can feel a little air leakage. I removed the bags and the noise level was back to normal. With the bags installed, it seems like the sound level goes up. Perhaps the position of the bags and the fact that they are empty is creating an acoustic effect making the sound seem louder. The plus is that all me biking buddies (Harley riders) love the sound. (Every one except my passenger - my wife!) I'll load the bags and see if the acoustic effect changes.:yes:

NancysToy
06-25-2009, 04:12 PM
I checked the clamp. It was tight although I can feel a little air leakage. I removed the bags and the noise level was back to normal. With the bags installed, it seems like the sound level goes up. Perhaps the position of the bags and the fact that they are empty is creating an acoustic effect making the sound seem louder. The plus is that all me biking buddies (Harley riders) love the sound. (Every one except my passenger - my wife!) I'll load the bags and see if the acoustic effect changes.:yes:
Interesting, and a well thought out way to test it. I hope neither of you finds the noise to be objectionable.

barkingspyder
08-22-2009, 08:50 PM
Just got the bags and no INSTRUCTIONS!!!:gaah:
I worry there might be a missing part due to the tear in one of the parts bags AND no instructions...

are there instructions with a parts list somewhere?

Gunner 02
07-25-2014, 08:35 AM
What all comes with the kit, does it include the bags, hardware racks, and light extension bars?

mxz600
07-25-2014, 08:47 AM
Everything you need comes in the kit. The only thing that doesn't come with the bags is the accent panel to match the color of your Spyder.

donec
07-29-2014, 05:19 PM
Just got the bags and no INSTRUCTIONS!!!:gaah:
I worry there might be a missing part due to the tear in one of the parts bags AND no instructions...

are there instructions with a parts list somewhere?The instructions I got were quite useless and called for a part that was not their or used.

fsemmons
05-20-2020, 11:29 AM
Can someone post the installation instructions for the G-35 BRP Saddle bag kit -please.