PDA

View Full Version : It's Not The 4th Of July....

Docster
07-06-2018, 11:05 AM
This is not intended to offend anyone but to clarify.

The 4th of July is a date no different than December 25th or November 11th. Those dates and others are special holidays. We celebrate Independence Day, Veteran's Day, Memorial Day and others, not dates. We don't wish someone a "Merry December 25th" for example.

I'll get off my high horse but just trying to get folks to remember what we celebrate or commemorate on our various holidays. Not dates but special days that have history and meaning.

A late Happy Independence Day to all!

Chupaca
07-06-2018, 12:16 PM
To bad those occasions were not given dates like thankgiving or mother's day. No one would wish you a happy last thursday in november...Then you have those they have found fit to move the dates around like Memorial day weekend or labor day weekend. But you are right that one should celebrate or commemorate the occasion and not the day or date that it may fall on....:bowdown:

BajaRon
07-06-2018, 12:28 PM
:agree:

canamjhb
07-06-2018, 12:42 PM
I have never thought about it in that way. Very good point. I will try to communicate my Independence Day wishes as such in the future. Maybe we can start a new trend.....:thumbup:

BajaRon
07-06-2018, 12:52 PM
I have never thought about it in that way. Very good point. I will try to communicate my Independence Day wishes as such in the future. Maybe we can start a new trend.....:thumbup:

I have been told that everyone used to call the 4th, Independence Day. But over time it has morphed into the 4th of July. And I agree. The 4th isn't what is special. It's our Independence that is important. I'm going to try to call it what it is from now on. Can't hurt to remember the reason for the season.

ARtraveler
07-06-2018, 01:18 PM
Prairie Spyder also made mention of this in another thread.

But it does not hurt to remind us again. Happy Independence Day all. :yes::yes:

Bob Denman
07-06-2018, 01:31 PM
And "Happy day after the third of July": just doesn't quite cut it...

bushrat
07-06-2018, 10:27 PM
Of course, you are absolutely correct... it is the EVENT which is the reason for the celebration, NOT the day it happens to fall upon. However, the ESSENCE of that celebration may depend upon one's personal perspective.....

For example, in relation to the recent Independence Day/aka 4th of July, a British Monarch might offer:

No offence meant (LOL). Let's just sit back and enjoy the fireworks!!!

Chupaca
07-06-2018, 11:45 PM
The 4th of July/ Independence day was the day we declared our independence..:thumbup: Now we were not actually independent till we beat the British (Cornwallis) at the seige/battle of Yorktown in 1781, Good thing too cause otherwise it would not be a happy Independence day at all, but why nothing for October 19th 1781 :dontknow: if nothing else good reason to have another holiday and actually celebrate the day we got our independence...:yes::yes:and thank all those who battled for 6 years to get us the independence we declared on the 4th of July 1776...

BajaRon
07-07-2018, 09:19 AM
The 4th of July/ Independence day was the day we declared our independence..:thumbup: Now we were not actually independent till we beat the British (Cornwallis) at the seige/battle of Yorktown in 1781, Good thing too cause otherwise it would not be a happy Independence day at all, but why nothing for October 19th 1781 :dontknow: if nothing else good reason to have another holiday and actually celebrate the day we got our independence...:yes::yes:and thank all those who battled for 6 years to get us the independence we declared on the 4th of July 1776...

Independence and freedom was, and still is, a process. If we ever get to the point where we are not willing to endure the hardships which come with keeping these things, we will lose them.

wyliec
07-07-2018, 11:40 AM

September 3, 1783, Treaty of Paris; that is when the American Revolution finally ended. And, thank you, Docster and Baja.

machead
07-07-2018, 12:52 PM
I cringe everytime I hear some say "Happy Memorial Day". That tells me that they have no clue as to what Memorial Day is supposed to be about.

bushrat
07-07-2018, 02:59 PM
North of the 49th parallel, we have a good example of a holiday, mostly now just called by its calendar date name, and for which many are unaware of what it truly stands for, or why. It's our "24th of May" holiday.

Originally, it was known as "Victoria Day", in honour of that long-reigning Queen's birthday. But, since she's been dead and gone for more than a century, and there have been at least 5 Monarchs since, male and female, it is currently celebrated as "the Queen's Birthday" (Elizabeth II). Truth is that her actual birthday falls on 21 April, but we continue to use the day originally set aside for Victoria. Are you confused yet??

Even stranger still, while Victoria was born on the actual 24th of May, 1819, the holiday is usually taken on the Monday closest to and preceding that actual date - - so it's kind of a 'moveable feast', as far as date goes (anywhere from the 18th to 24th), but still commonly referred to as the "24th of May", and you can count on getting that Monday off (as a statutory holiday), no matter its number. Still with me??

In the end, really only staunch monarchists care much about the reasons 'why' anymore. Most younger folks, into the first great party weekend of Canadian springtime, typically refer to it as "May Two-Four" weekend. Younger males especially seem to believe it was named for our regular size of case of beer (24 bottles), copious quantities of which are traditionally consumed. Most are seen leaving the local Beer Store on the preceding Friday afternoon happily saying "got my 'two-four' for the holiday".

So, what's behind this holiday's name???.... A good drunk; that's what!!

IdahoMtnSpyder
07-07-2018, 04:10 PM
Of course, you are absolutely correct... it is the EVENT which is the reason for the celebration, NOT the day it happens to fall upon. However, the ESSENCE of that celebration may depend upon one's personal perspective.....

For example, in relation to the recent Independence Day/aka 4th of July, a British Monarch might offer:

No offence meant (LOL). Let's just sit back and enjoy the fireworks!!!
In England King George III is referred to as "the last king of America." What's really funny is that he wrote in his diary that evening, "Nothing of importance occurred today!" :roflblack::roflblack:

missouriboy
07-07-2018, 04:18 PM
...We don't wish someone a "Merry December 25th" for example...Excellent point. But who knows, we might be someday soon. Ever notice how many businesses insist on "Happy Holidays" out of fear of being boycotted by the cultural communists who shame them if they EVER mention Christmas? Disgusting!