PDA

View Full Version : Please help guide me

Roger
06-01-2009, 01:39 PM
This past friday morning my doctor told me i'am diabetic but i don't have to check my blood or do needles he said diet and exercise and i will be fine. my sister in law is also so she is helping me with food, a good friend of mine who is very caring said he would test my blood after i ate. FYI i had baked ham with mustard 1 slice of wheat bread tossed salad and a diet pepsi about 1/2 hour went by and he tested me it came up 114 which is normal he said then tested me again after 2 hours it came up 115. He doesn't think that i have it. he has been for 5 years. my sister in law thought it was odd also. anybody have an idea what is going on with me. My doctor whom i had for 20yrs just seamed to be vague. :(:(:( i don't mind telling you that i'am scared and it was one hell of a wake up call.

Bersquack
06-01-2009, 01:41 PM
This is probably not the place to seek medical advice.

I serioulsy hope you get better or your issue gets resolved.

zzneonzz
06-01-2009, 01:53 PM
I agree this is not a good place to seak medical advise. Best thing i can tell you is if there is a possibility of you being a diabetic but your not convenced is get a second opinion and see what they have to say.

NancysToy
06-01-2009, 02:31 PM
I also agree that this is not a good place to seek medical advice. As a former diabetic for eight years, who controlled and eventually beat his diabetes with nothing but diet, I will comment, though. First, doctors today are very quick to call someone diabetic or "pre-diabetic" at lower blood sugar levels than were acceptable in the past. Maybe they actually know something, or maybe it is the pill sellers providing fuel for the fire, but it has changed. Take it with a grain of salt until it is confirmed by the proper lab tests.

The first diagostic indicator is a fasting blood sugar level that is too high. Levels from 100-125 are considered to be "pre-diabetic" and a warning sign, levels of 126 and above indicate diabetes. The fasting glucose diagnosis should be confirmed with a 2 hour glucose tolerance test. Levels of 140-199 are considered "pre-diabetic, and levels of 200 or above indicate diabetes. Your doctor may also order an A1C test, which is kind of a long-term average of your blood sugar level.

Diabetes is a serious condition. Whether pre-diabetic or diagnosed with diabetes itself, it pays to do your best to control it. Correct diet and exercise can get it under control and keep it there, or even eliminate it altogether, as in my case. You have to be very careful about what you eat and especially about portion size. It will teach you how wrong your eating habits have been for a long time. A good dietician is a big help to get you headed in the right direction, IMO.

I wish you luck in finding exactly where you actually stand, medically, and in getting a handle on this problem or potential problem, before it becomes a major issue and does you permanent harm.
-Scotty http://www.pmdawnonline.com/forum/images/smilies/velo.gif

Roger
06-01-2009, 06:47 PM
i only posted here because this is an off topic board. Scotty you pretty much said what i wanted to here. especially the numbers thing. i think i asked my question incorrectly but scotties response was good for me. thank you.