PDA

View Full Version : 2018 RT AUDIO SYSTEM SUCKS!!!

Ride2GetHigh
07-05-2018, 02:50 PM
I love my new Spyder and now have 1118 miles on it. I got a Sena SMH5 BT system to pair with my Android phone for Iheart and Pandora and it works great. Love the music in my ears.

Now let's talk about the BRP audio.........and btw my 2004 Yamaha Royal Star Venture audio with CB works in all of the below (cept BT) and it's 14 years old.......

1. You can only Auto Config Presets what ever it hears.
2. NO AM mode
3. Can't put in manually a station that doesn't come up auto config.
4. No manual tuning across the band.
5. Have to Auto Config every 50 miles or so for a new set of stations and can't do it while heading down the road. Have to stop.

The system DID pair with the Sena SMH5 and it shows on the dashboard. But THAT'S ALL YOU GET.....Here's what you get when trying to feed audio to the helmet instead of from the speakers.

Now unless I have missed something and am way off course on any of this I believe BRP needs to step up to the audio plate and get in the game........
Rubber Down......

ARtraveler
07-05-2018, 02:55 PM
The radio system on :f_spider: :spyder2:'s has been a point of contention since day one (2010 RTS). My 2014 is no better than the 2011 or 2010. I guess that we expect to much from a $30K machine. And we still get complaints up through the current year. :roflblack::roflblack:

Also hearing complaints about the new dashboard.

As long as they "threw it in" with the package--I won't complain. That means it was "free." Right? :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

rvanbeek
07-05-2018, 03:05 PM
I agree. BRP hit a foul ball as far as I'm concerned. Bought the limited and no gps. Now you have to us BRP connect. When dealer asked about adding FM signal to bluetooth BRP said I could turn the volume up. I get better music and better radio stations using iheartradio app on phone. When you ask 31,000 dollars for a product you should get a better sound system. BRP ARE YOU LISTENING.

UtahPete
07-05-2018, 03:14 PM
Are you talking about the whole sound system, or just the receiver, which everyone agrees is lousy?

Ride2GetHigh
07-05-2018, 03:27 PM
At least the BT on the bike pairs with my phone and I can play what ever from the phone through the audio on the bike. That is like someone licking the icing off a cake and leaving the rest for someone else. I want my cake too..........
Down the road.......:yes:

Ride2GetHigh
07-05-2018, 03:29 PM
Are you talking about the whole sound system, or just the receiver, which everyone agrees is lousy?

Actually the sound system is great. Can't believe the quality from the speakers even at freeway speed. No issue there. Just let me connect.......
:cheers:

UtahPete
07-05-2018, 03:53 PM
Actually the sound system is great. Can't believe the quality from the speakers even at freeway speed. No issue there. Just let me connect.......:cheers:
That's what I thought. Thanks for the clarification.

rvanbeek
07-05-2018, 04:03 PM
Before my 2018 RT L I had a 2004 Goldwing with radio than the Spyder. The new Goldwing radio is way ahead of BRP. What would have been so hard in adding FM to the bike bluetooth. My head set can pair with my phone and I get music, iheartradio, xm radio, and phone. I've turned the Spyder radio off.

Easy Rider
07-05-2018, 04:04 PM

Not quite everyone. Mine works fine for what I need a receiver to do.
But that's on a '17.

I don't think BRP hit a foul ball on the sound system/dashboard with the '18 models; they flat struck OUT.
Sad. I hope they recover. I feel sorry for those who got one.

billybovine
07-05-2018, 04:07 PM
1. You can only Auto Config Presets what ever it hears. Not true. Go to the FM tuning screen.
2. NO AM mode That's true. Very few use it anyway.
3. Can't put in manually a station that doesn't come up auto config. Not true. Go to the FM tuning screen.
4. No manual tuning across the band. Not true. Go to the FM tuning screen.
5. Have to Auto Config every 50 miles or so for a new set of stations and can't do it while heading down the road. Have to stop. Just do a long left or right joystick press to scan for another station. From the main screen.

UtahPete
07-05-2018, 04:22 PM
Before my 2018 RT L I had a 2004 Goldwing with radio than the Spyder. The new Goldwing radio is way ahead of BRP. What would have been so hard in adding FM to the bike bluetooth. My head set can pair with my phone and I get music, iheartradio, xm radio, and phone. I've turned the Spyder radio off.

Maybe Canadian FM isn't worth listening to? :joke:

bcer960
07-05-2018, 04:58 PM
Maybe Canadian FM isn't worth listening to? :joke:

I know in Kamloops the FM rock station only plays 8, yes 8 songs an hour. 2 every quarter. The rest is filled with DJ's talking, useless news and commercials. When I'm riding, I want music... a USB stick is the only way to go for me. I've never tried to use the radio on my spyder.

Ray

billybovine
07-05-2018, 04:59 PM
I could not remember how to get to the FM tuning screen. So I went out and tried it to refresh my memory.

Go into the menu and then the regular FM audio screen. Looks like this.

If you do a long press on the center of the joystick. It will go into the preset tuning screen. Looks like this.

A short press up puts you to the top of the screen so you can tune the FM frequency with a left or right press.
A short press down gets you to the bottom of the screen. Lets you chose the preset number to save to with a left or right joystick press.
A long press down of the joystick saves the preset.

UtahPete
07-05-2018, 05:07 PM
I know in Kamloops the FM rock station only plays 8, yes 8 songs an hour. 2 every quarter. The rest is filled with DJ's talking, useless news and commercials. When I'm riding, I want music... a USB stick is the only way to go for me. I've never tried to use the radio on my spyder. Ray
It's not much better than that here, once away from metro areas (IMHO).

rvanbeek
07-05-2018, 05:54 PM
Billybovine, thanks for the great information. Now if I could only get it to my headset.

jcthorne
07-05-2018, 07:01 PM
Billybovine, thanks for the great information. Now if I could only get it to my headset.

The SENA SM10 module the previous bikes used for audio out to a headset can still be fitted using a speaker level input as is done on other bikes. Then ALL audio that is available to the speakers is available to the headset.

YES, the BRP Connect system SHOULD do it already, but it don't.

Flamewinger
07-06-2018, 01:28 AM

The Goldwing has been around for almost 40 years whereas the Spyder is only 11. The first sound system in the Goldwing was made by Clarion and was modular. Had to plug a headset in to work intercom and CB.

The 2018 spyders with new dash is much the same as the new Goldwing as there are quirks with both. GPS is built-in to the phone instead of in the bike which shows up in the dash. The phone's standard music app can play your music or a radio into the headset or speakers. The FM and AUX can only play through the speakers. (hoping this gets changed) Updating Genius Maps is auto on your phone, not sure how the map data will update on the new Goldwing.

I made a video on how to set the radio presets. I mostly listen to my music or iTunes Radio. I have to mute Genius Maps so it doesn't screw up the music. I have to start Rever before trying to open it on the bike. FOBO and Accuweather work great.

https://youtu.be/_GrIgPqa-p4

Dmartin
07-06-2018, 01:58 AM
Or you could do what I did with my 2018 RTL, install a Sirius XM radio. It works great...

Bob Denman
07-06-2018, 07:30 AM
Actually the sound system is great. Can't believe the quality from the speakers even at freeway speed. No issue there. Just let me connect.......

:agree: It sounds awesome! When I can actually get anything out of it! :shocked:

stmike 1800
07-06-2018, 07:49 AM

You are kidding right !!!!
I can not hear the radio at all while on the road .
The radio does a very poor job of tuning in channels ,unless you are right next to the tower .
I would be great if they would up grade the whole dash and go back a year ,i hate the new one .:banghead:

Bob Denman
07-06-2018, 08:08 AM
You're conflating two issue: sound quality... and usage of the system! :banghead:
The sound quality is actually pretty darn good: the best that I've had in any of my three Spyders! :thumbup:
It's just that when it comes time to try and use the effing thing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zLfCnGVeL4

rays hell
07-06-2018, 08:43 AM
My 16 F3T will play MP3 music from the Lightning cable and show it on the dash, but quit playing Spotify. I now have to use the aux input cable for audio and Lighning cable to charge my phone. Tried it on a 17 model and had the same results.

Bob Denman
07-06-2018, 09:01 AM
It's obvious: this system was designed by the same moron who has kept the rear wheel valve stem right underneath the drive pulley! :banghead:

Ride2GetHigh
07-06-2018, 09:40 AM
The Goldwing has been around for almost 40 years whereas the Spyder is only 11. The first sound system in the Goldwing was made by Clarion and was modular. Had to plug a headset in to work intercom and CB.

The 2018 spyders with new dash is much the same as the new Goldwing as there are quirks with both. GPS is built-in to the phone instead of in the bike which shows up in the dash. The phone's standard music app can play your music or a radio into the headset or speakers. The FM and AUX can only play through the speakers. (hoping this gets changed) Updating Genius Maps is auto on your phone, not sure how the map data will update on the new Goldwing.

I made a video on how to set the radio presets. I mostly listen to my music or iTunes Radio. I have to mute Genius Maps so it doesn't screw up the music. I have to start Rever before trying to open it on the bike. FOBO and Accuweather work great.

https://youtu.be/_GrIgPqa-p4

WoW that works. Where did you find that info and thanks so much for posting it. Now to get the BT on the bike to send to the BT on the helmet. They are connected but what good is that if there isn't any audio passed from the radio to the helmet.
Ride Easy........

Ride2GetHigh
07-06-2018, 09:44 AM
1. You can only Auto Config Presets what ever it hears. Not true. Go to the FM tuning screen.
3. Can't put in manually a station that doesn't come up auto config. Not true. Go to the FM tuning screen.
5. Have to Auto Config every 50 miles or so for a new set of stations and can't do it while heading down the road. Have to stop. Just do a long left or right joystick press to scan for another station. From the main screen.

From the video posted above yes your are correct. Where does that info come from? Not in the manual and I've done a lot of digging on the web site never seeing it.

Still want to know what good connecting the BT on my helmet to the BT on the bike is good for. The dash shows it's connected (Sena SMH5) and an icon of the helmet at the bottom. But where is the audio???
Thanks.....

billybovine
07-06-2018, 10:19 AM
From the video posted above yes your are correct. Where does that info come from? Not in the manual and I've done a lot of digging on the web site never seeing it.

Still want to know what good connecting the BT on my helmet to the BT on the bike is good for. The dash shows it's connected (Sena SMH5) and an icon of the helmet at the bottom. But where is the audio???
Thanks.....

You are missing the visual clues that they are showing you on the screen.

On the right shows you the choice of function buttons by the joystick. Take note that some of them have an orange shading. Giving them a 3D look. The up volume button does not. That's telling you there is only one function on that button and that is to raise the volume. Now notice the volume down button. It has the orange 3D shading. That is telling you it has 2 functions. Short press lowers the volume. Long press mutes the audio. But it is case specific. If the audio is muted. Then the volume up will have the orange 3D shading. Giving you the clue that it now has the function to unmute with a long press. This is similar to older Spyders except they used a single or double chevron symbols that where more obvious. So back to the initial problem of tuning the FM presets. Notice the center button has the orange shading. Telling you it has a second function. But that is a mystery until you try it or someone posts it on Spyderlovers. :shocked:

Yes I agree it sucks that you can't BT the radio or aux inputs to the helmet headset.

Ride2GetHigh
07-06-2018, 01:51 PM
You are missing the visual clues that they are showing you on the screen.

On the right shows you the choice of function buttons by the joystick. Take note that some of them have an orange shading. Giving them a 3D look. The up volume button does not. That's telling you there is only one function on that button and that is to raise the volume. Now notice the volume down button. It has the orange 3D shading. That is telling you it has 2 functions. Short press lowers the volume. Long press mutes the audio. But it is case specific. If the audio is muted. Then the volume up will have the orange 3D shading. Giving you the clue that it now has the function to unmute with a long press. This is similar to older Spyders except they used a single or double chevron symbols that where more obvious. So back to the initial problem of tuning the FM presets. Notice the center button has the orange shading. Telling you it has a second function. But that is a mystery until you try it or someone posts it on Spyderlovers. :shocked:

Yes I agree it sucks that you can't BT the radio or aux inputs to the helmet headset.

Thanks for that great tutorial on the way the radio system works. Why isn't this all in the manual or easy to find on the web site?? Burp...I mean BRP.....

pauly1
07-06-2018, 02:28 PM
My 16 F3T will play MP3 music from the Lightning cable and show it on the dash, but quit playing Spotify. I now have to use the aux input cable for audio and Lighning cable to charge my phone. Tried it on a 17 model and had the same results.

The 2018's are different. So is the ability to use an Android-based phone.

Flamewinger
07-06-2018, 08:02 PM

Thanks.....

The BT is so you can hear the phone music and use the phone to make/receive calls. I doubt you would be able to distinguish Genius maps directions through the speakers so it’s good to have the BT for everything except FM and Aux. (hopefully that will change as the option is there)

rvanbeek
07-07-2018, 08:06 AM
@billybovine Thanks for the great tutorial about the FM Radio. Why BRP keeps directions for operation so secret is beyond me. There was a heat problem with the 2013 models of rt and my wife had one of those that burned her leg on the right side. After enough complaints BRP fixed the problem. No FM bluetooth is not a major issue but it was one of the reasons that I made the decision to purchase the 2018 model. Right now my phone is connected, and my head phones have built in FM so I listen to that. Phone also has access to iheartradio, and xmsat so I can listen to that. The Spyder FM remains off because I can't hear it while riding above 50 mph.

Seattle
07-16-2018, 10:47 PM
Has anyone specifically only with the '18 model Spyder's (RT or F3's) that utilises the new digital display cluster notice if:
1) ALL their speakers clip on music's bass points, even while at low volume
2) the radio signal seems to have a harder time locking onto a station signal or is quite staticky and
3) volume output has to be turned up nearly 80%+ in order to hear it at speeds above 50mph/80kph?

I compared my '18 F3 LTD radio volume output against a 2017 F3-LTD. On the 2017 I set the volume output (tuned to the same radio station AND using a music streaming device playing the same song) at 30% and then adjusted the 2018 to an equal level output. My Spyder had to be set at 60% to be equal to the 2017. I've tried this also with the 2018 models with my dealer's new floor models against the 2017's and reproduced the same results.

Why would BRP reduce the volume output so significantly for the newly designed 2018 digital display Spyders' where we need to crank the volume output up so high? I've noticed even the bass and mid-range tones in the new models are no where as rich and deep as it was in the former Spyder model year sound systems. BRP has told my dealer they have no intentions of fixing this issue.

billybovine
07-17-2018, 08:24 AM
Has anyone specifically only with the '18 model Spyder's (RT or F3's) that utilises the new digital display cluster notice if:
2) the radio signal seems to have a harder time locking onto a station signal or is quite staticky and
3) volume output has to be turned up nearly 80%+ in order to hear it at speeds above 50mph/80kph?

I compared my '18 F3 LTD radio volume output against a 2017 F3-LTD. On the 2017 I set the volume output (tuned to the same radio station AND using a music streaming device playing the same song) at 30% and then adjusted the 2018 to an equal level output. My Spyder had to be set at 60% to be equal to the 2017. I've tried this also with the 2018 models with my dealer's new floor models against the 2017's and reproduced the same results.

Why would BRP reduce the volume output so significantly for the newly designed 2018 digital display Spyders' where we need to crank the volume output up so high? I've noticed even the bass and mid-range tones in the new models are no where as rich and deep as it was in the former Spyder model year sound systems. BRP has told my dealer they have no intentions of fixing this issue.

Audio sound quality issues seems to be with the FM radio. At least with mine. The actual audio from the speakers is far superior than the ST I traded off. Using BT audio from my phone is great. I can hear it very well traveling down the road at speed. But the wind direction and speed can make a difference. FM very different. Sitting in the garage without the engine running it sounds great to me. But at times just starting the engine will kill the FM reception. Traveling down the road no volume, bad reception. It just sucks. To my amusement the other day I found out that if I remove the antenna. The radio reception is not any different. Coming up on my first service. So I will have the dealer look into that.

Easy Rider
07-17-2018, 12:17 PM
BRP has told my dealer they have no intentions of fixing this issue.

Two out of 3 of your symptoms sounds like a very low signal level.......like the antenna isn't connected properly.
But you aren't the first one to complain about it......and likely won't be the last.

I wonder if ANYBODY who has an '18 model has a good working radio ?? Somehow I doubt it.

stmike 1800
07-17-2018, 01:18 PM
^^^^ my radio sucks also ,if the wife holds the antenna the radio is better, but she will not run beside the bike .

Kentucky Mark
07-17-2018, 01:32 PM
Same here. Can’t hear it or the navagation instructions on the highway. That is, if the navigation works but that is another thread. Has anyone installed an amplifier on their system?

Seattle
07-19-2018, 06:35 PM
It appears there may be more of us with the new digital display in 2018 model years that suffer these issues I've addressed in my original post. We can be only the few who has noticed this so how do we get BRP to consider addressing these audio problems other than having a multitude of owners pestering the dealers to pass it along?

Can the amplifier be upgraded with the existing electronics? Can the speakers popping/clipping be related to the antenna connection which also causes the very weak radio reception?

kevin_from_ny
07-19-2018, 10:46 PM
5. Have to Auto Config every 50 miles or so for a new set of stations and can't do it while heading down the road. Have to stop. Just do a long left or right joystick press to scan for another station. From the main screen. I dont own a spyder yet but tried one out today and going back tomorrow to try it again. You said No am mode...does this mean theres no AM Radio just FM radio??

Seattle
07-19-2018, 11:02 PM
I dont own a spyder yet but tried one out today and going back tomorrow to try it again. You said No am mode...does this mean theres no AM Radio just FM radio??

Only FM band.

jlc41
07-20-2018, 06:50 AM
Or you could do what I did with my 2018 RTL, install a Sirius XM radio. It works great...

Did you have any fitment problems???

Joe

QuadRAGIN
11-12-2018, 11:39 PM
This is a game changer for me. I figured BRP Connect would be similar to Apple CarPlay running apple or google maps with Spotify streaming in the back ground like most vehicles since 2016, and Indian and Harley... bummer
Looks like I’ll be shopping for a 2017 and a handlebar phone mount

Tenic
11-13-2018, 12:44 AM
This is a game changer for me. I figured BRP Connect would be similar to Apple CarPlay running apple or google maps with Spotify streaming in the back ground like most vehicles since 2016, and Indian and Harley... bummer
Looks like I?ll be shopping for a 2017 and a handlebar phone mount

I have 2018 RTL. I bluetooth my phone to the Spyder and use the XM app on my phone. Works great into my Sena 20s.

RC

Jazzi1
11-13-2018, 01:49 AM
I just bought my 2018 Spyder RT Limited 2 weeks ago. Was excited about buying it. I sold my 2015 RT thinking that I was moving up and upgrading. I was very disappointed in the sound quality of the 2018. When I'm on the highway, i can hardly hear my music , especially with my faceshield down and my volume is at maximum. On my 2015, the volume and sound was much better. I could hear my music even in the worst traffic. BRP was in such a hurry to get the 2018's on the market but should have taken more time to invest in the dashboard a little more. I agree that for $31,000 they should have taken their time and invested in the dashboard more. That was actually the selling factor for me. Even the patch (ver. 13.20) that I had installed didn't really address all the issues. BRP needs to issue another update to upgrade the system to "$31,000 quality and performance." BRP, take it back to the drawing board!!!

stmike 1800
11-13-2018, 07:10 AM
I can take my jeep back in gods country have perfect reception .The spyder when it gets out of eye site of the radio tower i lose reception . The radio would not even make a good boat anchor ,to lite . How can BRP get away with this crap .Also will add no connect to helmet ,that just sucks .

Jarred
11-13-2018, 08:05 AM
You may have an audio setting wrong, or need a software update. When I first got my ?18 I couldn?t hear sound when riding above 65?ish. After I brought it to dealer for 3k service, and to update software, I now hear audio at all speeds (well, since then I?ve gone about 88mph and still hear it). I?m not sure if my RTL audio was in demo mode or something but after the service it was much better. Great videos above plus others on YouTube. Took me a few miles to understand thinking behind new dash but now I love it and very happy I got the new dash.
Good luck.

QuadRAGIN
11-14-2018, 01:58 PM
I have 2018 RTL. I bluetooth my phone to the Spyder and use the XM app on my phone. Works great into my Sena 20s.

RC

What do you use for GPS / Navigation?

QuadRAGIN
11-14-2018, 02:16 PM
So i was reading on BRP's website that on an iPhone only there is a way to "Authorize" apps to be used thru BRP Connect.
Has anyone tried that?
Seems kind of a Joke of a system if we can not use Spotify, Pandora, etc. Through BRP Connect. On my 2016 Indian Roadmaster, I can even Thumbs up and Thumbs Down while streaming Pandora. and its just a Red LED type screen.
Looks like I can get a Phone mount and a charge only cable; use Bluetooth connection to stream Spotify audio and Navigation audio, and use my phone to display Google or Apple Maps, THAT Sooo 2015.
I was playing with Genius and Sygic Neither one of these can NAV me to work or home Genius go close but Sygic was WAY Wrong. Maybe someone at BRP friend or relative own these NAV Apps..

""When seeing a BRP Connect-compatible app for the first time, the icon is grayed out and there is a key on top of the icon. What should I do? Is this approval process required for every app?

This process only affects iPhone devices. You must:

Select the app you wish to unlock.
Confirm you want to use this app via BRP Connect (this confirmation is performed on your vehicle's display).
Confirm once again you wish to use this app via BRP Connect (this second confirmation is performed on your smartphone).

This approval process is required for all apps except the Music and Genius Map app.""

Maybe Ill put the ugly Tilting Trike Front end on my Indian after all..

Easy Rider
11-14-2018, 07:44 PM
Maybe Ill put the ugly Tilting Trike Front end on my Indian after all..

If I had an Indian in good shape, I think I would have paid the ~ $14K for a conventional trike conversion.

Jazzi1
11-15-2018, 03:05 AM
How did you install a Sirius XM radio on your 2018 RTL. I just bought mine and I'm interested in playing satellite as opposed to just plain FM radio. Would love to know the brand radio and the details of the install.

Jazzi1
11-15-2018, 03:10 AM

How did you install a Sirius XM radio on your 2018 RTL. I just bought mine and I'm interested in playing satellite as opposed to just plain FM radio. Would love to know the brand radio and the details of the install.

QuadRAGIN
11-16-2018, 10:27 PM
The conversation I speak of is actually a 2 in the front tilting.
http://www.tiltingmotorworks.com/

stmike 1800
11-17-2018, 07:51 AM
The conversation I speak of is actually a 2 in the front tilting.
http://www.tiltingmotorworks.com/

I should of done that with my goldwing .

johnsimion
11-17-2018, 12:14 PM

How can you play the stereo -- ANY stereo -- loud enough to hear over the wind noise and sound of the engine at highway speed? And wind noise and engine sound are already more than enough to cause hearing loss at highway speed. Do you not care about what this is doing to your hearing? Hearing loss is gradual and cumulative and you won't notice it until it's gone, and it's a major problem for motorcyclists. See, e.g.:
https://www.motorcycle.com/features/motorcycles-hearing-loss.html
https://www.visordown.com/news/general/riders-risk-%E2%80%98permanent-hearing-damage-after-just-15-minutes-62mph

If I'm going any distance at all at 70 mph, I'm wearing custom earplugs (with a full-face helmet). The earplugs cut out almost all the wind noise and I can hear my wife better through our headset. If I wanted to listen to music while riding, I'd pipe it in through the headset. No way I would ever use the external speakers while riding without earplugs at 70 mph. I don't want to be deaf in my old age. Oh, I do use my Spyder's stereo speakers ... when I work on it in the garage!

BryanSD
11-17-2018, 09:34 PM
How can you play the stereo -- ANY stereo -- loud enough to hear over the wind noise and sound of the engine at highway speed? And wind noise and engine sound are already more than enough to cause hearing loss at highway speed. Do you not care about what this is doing to your hearing? Hearing loss is gradual and cumulative and you won't notice it until it's gone, and it's a major problem for motorcyclists.

It's a good point that you make about protecting your ears. But for the most part, I don't find the wind noise and definitely the noise from the engine/pipes all that loud on my RT. I'm finding that I really don't have to crank my stereo much louder at 70 MPH than I do at 20 MPH. Yes, there are circumstances where the wind noise is too much and in those cases I turn off the stereo off. For the most part though, I'm more concerned about my hearing when I ride along with my HD friends that believe the louder their pipes the better.

Spyder Insyder
11-17-2018, 09:57 PM
I also am thinking of installing an XM receiver on my 2018 RTL. I have done that in the past with previously owned Gold Wings. The only problem I had was the frequency I chose for the XM modulator would sometimes be over powered by a local FM station on the same frequency, as we were traveling.
Installation on the RTL looks to be fairly straight forward, with the hardest part being removal of body work for running power and antenna cables. It seems the obvious location for the receiver would be the glove box. I'm not quite sure about the antenna. Probably the top of the rear trunk, although the surface area seams to be at the wrong angle for a 90 degree facing to the satellite. An unused 5 amp accessory fuse is provided in the fuse box.
I would be very interested in hearing the details of your installation. Please feel free to PM me if you like.

Lew L
11-17-2018, 11:20 PM
How can you play the stereo -- ANY stereo -- loud enough to hear over the wind noise and sound of the engine at highway speed? And wind noise and engine sound are already more than enough to cause hearing loss at highway speed. Do you not care about what this is doing to your hearing? Hearing loss is gradual and cumulative and you won't notice it until it's gone, and it's a major problem for motorcyclists. See, e.g.:
https://www.motorcycle.com/features/motorcycles-hearing-loss.html
https://www.visordown.com/news/general/riders-risk-%E2%80%98permanent-hearing-damage-after-just-15-minutes-62mph

If I'm going any distance at all at 70 mph, I'm wearing custom earplugs (with a full-face helmet). The earplugs cut out almost all the wind noise and I can hear my wife better through our headset. If I wanted to listen to music while riding, I'd pipe it in through the headset. No way I would ever use the external speakers while riding without earplugs at 70 mph. I don't want to be deaf in my old age. Oh, I do use my Spyder's stereo speakers ... when I work on it in the garage!

What??????

I also use custom ear plugs. $4 at "cheaper than dirt" A 2 part silicon system that you do yourself. They work great and are comfy enough that I don't even know they in my ears. My hearing got blown out in the military--- 50 years ago and 37 years of metal work and only in the last 15 years or so did I understand hearing loss. Don't use them with my wife though:joke:nojoke

Lew L

PS: John, When is the next book coming out???

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-18-2018, 12:54 AM
I also am thinking of installing an XM receiver on my 2018 RTL. I have done that in the past with previously owned Gold Wings. The only problem I had was the frequency I chose for the XM modulator would sometimes be over powered by a local FM station on the same frequency, as we were traveling.
Installation on the RTL looks to be fairly straight forward, with the hardest part being removal of body work for running power and antenna cables. It seems the obvious location for the receiver would be the glove box. I'm not quite sure about the antenna. Probably the top of the rear trunk, although the surface area seams to be at the wrong angle for a 90 degree facing to the satellite. An unused 5 amp accessory fuse is provided in the fuse box.
I would be very interested in hearing the details of your installation. Please feel free to PM me if you like.

Because yours is an 18 RTL and my understanding is that the radio isn't like all previous models..... However I have an Album that shows how I mounted the Sirius XM receiver into the glove box ……….

Flamewinger
11-18-2018, 10:35 AM
I pair to my current working phone and get SiriusXM, Waze and Garmin or TomTom and have it mounted to the center of the handlebars. I use an older phone paired to the dash with Sycig GPS, FOBO and Rever. if I need traffic and weather I can set it to use the hotspot on the working phone. I installed a USB outlet in amongst the switches just under the handlebars and use an 8” lightning cable to power phone. I have the older phone mounted on top of the dash and Lamonster’s extension cable. I have Gilt gloves that are either completely fingerless or just the thumb and forefinger are fingerless. So I can touch the phone to control it. For winter I’ll have to learn to stop and change music or just keep riding.

bluewoo
11-18-2018, 11:26 AM
Im happy with the updated system on the 18, just takes time to understand it. I use the auto volume (what it designed for) and with my modular helmet up or down we can still enjoy the music or hockey games. My phones audio works perfect so far I love it how it sinks up automatically. FM is only good locally so I don't know why we bother complaining about it, my 2018 f150 pops in and out of HD radio all the time and it's not a big deal. The spyder rides goes way beyond the FM signals so I just BT the music. If your riding with a low wind screen or none at all, why is it the radios fault?
Ride with a bunch of Harley's then this even wont be good enough.
https://youtu.be/9jr4qd0Ie-U

Good beat got me twerking!:riding:

Revalden
11-24-2018, 10:24 PM
^^^^ my radio sucks also ,if the wife holds the antenna the radio is better, but she will not run beside the bike .

You need to get a "Manuel Antenna System". That sucker can run really fast.:shocked:

Revalden
11-24-2018, 10:29 PM
The audio system on my 2014 Triumph Trophy is freakin awesome. Set the volume you like before you roll out. It keeps the volume loud enough that you can still hear it at 70mph with no distortion.

Spyder Insyder
12-03-2018, 08:20 PM

Well, I finally installed an XM radio (Onyx Plus) on my 2018 RTL this weekend. Overall I am quite pleased with the results. Installation was straight-forward and required removing some bodywork on the right side. The unit came with an aux. audio cable with male 1/8" stereo plugs on both ends. Since the audio input cable on the Spyder also comes with a male plug, this required a double female barrel connecter to make the connection. Power was sourced from a 5 amp accessory fuse in the right side fuse box. The receiver was located to the glove box, and a 3/8" hole was drilled into the sidewall to allow the cables to enter. Initially the audio was a little low, but the receiver has a menu setting that allows you to increase the drive. With the audio output level set to max, there is plenty of volume, even at highway speeds.

The only downside is, you have to open the glove box lid at a stop to change channels. However, that's probably the safest way to do it anyway.

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-03-2018, 10:45 PM
Well, I finally installed an XM radio (Onyx Plus) on my 2018 RTL this weekend. Overall I am quite pleased with the results. Installation was straight-forward and required removing some bodywork on the right side. The unit came with an aux. audio cable with male 1/8" stereo plugs on both ends. Since the audio input cable on the Spyder also comes with a male plug, this required a double female barrel connecter to make the connection. Power was sourced from a 5 amp accessory fuse in the right side fuse box. The receiver was located to the glove box, and a 3/8" hole was drilled into the sidewall to allow the cables to enter. Initially the audio was a little low, but the receiver has a menu setting that allows you to increase the drive. With the audio output level set to max, there is plenty of volume, even at highway speeds.

The only downside is, you have to open the glove box lid at a stop to change channels. However, that's probably the safest way to do it anyway.

Good on you " Easy Rider " should read your post on this ….. I don't know how your XM in the glove box looks , but you can see mine in one of my Albums ….. Mike :thumbup:

Jarred
12-04-2018, 10:46 AM
Maybe I just got lucky w my machine but my wife and I have no problem hearing the speakers, even at speeds above 65mph. When I first bought my 2018 RTL the sound was lower, but after my 3k service its very loud. Hope yours improves after you get the software update.

stmike 1800
12-05-2018, 07:40 AM
I had a remote stuck were i could use it ,worked great .This was on my 2005 ST 1300 Honda ,another bike i should of kept.

Seattle
11-12-2019, 10:13 PM
I'm crossing posting this link (https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?125724-2018-amp-2019-Spyders-Weak-Signal-and-Speaker-Crackling-Noises&p=1483922&viewfull=1#post1483922) which has a resolution for anyone who is seeking a resolution for their 2018 model Spyder's speaker clipping/crackling sounds.