PDA

View Full Version : Rear wheel - Weight

Many brands
07-04-2018, 04:34 PM
I have a car hoist - Front wheels supported on the two ramps. Question is - How much weight is the rear wheel - excreting ? Would Two pieces of 3/4 in ply wood be enough placed across the two ramps ?

2dogs
07-04-2018, 04:47 PM
Use just three ramps.

UtahPete
07-04-2018, 05:00 PM
I have a car hoist - Front wheels supported on the two ramps. Question is - How much weight is the rear wheel - excreting ? Would Two pieces of 3/4 in ply wood be enough placed across the two ramps ?
Very confusing. Ramps plus a car hoist and you want to know how much weight the rear wheel (of WHAT?) excretes? Two pieces of 3/4 inch plywood placed across the two ramps? :dontknow:

Can't even begin to imagine...but it's a disturbing mental picture :popcorn:

2dogs
07-04-2018, 05:10 PM
:clap:
Very confusing. Ramps plus a car hoist and you want to know how much weight the rear wheel (of WHAT?) excretes? Two pieces of 3/4 inch plywood placed across the two ramps? :dontknow:

Can't even begin to imagine...but it's a disturbing mental picture :popcorn:

I thought I knew but now I don't. :dontknow:

IGETAROUND
07-04-2018, 06:42 PM

Many Brands, Your RT weighs ~ 1000#'s; 60% is on the front, ~40% for the rear. I would think that 1.5" of plywood would carry that weight without problems. How wide is the span between the two ramps for the front??? If you are concerned a pair of 2X6 or 2X8 under your plywood would stiffen it up considerably if the plywood has to span the full 8 feet. Hope this answers your question.

Al in Kazoo

Spyder_Cowgirl
07-04-2018, 06:46 PM
This is the picture I had in my minds eye

He is using a car hoist and has driven the front wheels of the Spyder onto the two tracks (he calls them ramps), of the hoist. So, now the rear tire is on the ground and the front tires are on the hoist. The double thickness of plywood would go across the two tracks (perpendicular to them) and under the rear wheel. Then he can lift the entire Spyder with the hoist.

Personally, I would not trust this … it would be better to build a rear wheel "jig" out of a more robust material than wood. Pretty sure, Lamonster and Doc Humphreys have done just this with their hoists …. might see if you can spot a picture of their set up.

Check out Lamonster Garage or Roadster Renovations … both have vidoes, and may show their hoist set up in some of them.

My $ .02 ….. Ann

2dogs
07-04-2018, 08:21 PM
This is the picture I had in my minds eye

He is using a car hoist and has driven the front wheels of the Spyder onto the two tracks (he calls them ramps), of the hoist. So, now the rear tire is on the ground and the front tires are on the hoist. The double thickness of plywood would go across the two tracks (perpendicular to them) and under the rear wheel. Then he can lift the entire Spyder with the hoist.

Personally, I would not trust this … it would be better to build a rear wheel "jig" out of a more robust material than wood. Pretty sure, Lamonster and Doc Humphreys have done just this with their hoists …. might see if you can spot a picture of their set up.

Check out Lamonster Garage or Roadster Renovations … both have vidoes, and may show their hoist set up in some of them.

My $ .02 ….. Ann

Cowgirl you got it right. :agree: Bad idea for sure. Two 8' pieces of 1/4" channel would be a much better idea. :thumbup:

Rondaa
07-04-2018, 09:46 PM
I would cut two 2×4 s to fit between the car hoist ramps .Then bolt them to the bottom of the plywood. That will stiffen it up good

Many brands
07-05-2018, 01:02 AM
Thanks to you-all. I shall brace the plywood, as well.